• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Sell me on Bowers/Dareus

Sure, nominally, they're the best at their position. Are their talents/production extraordinary enough to be worth a Top 3, or are they only there by default? Show me some plays, stories, or reviews.

Madden had this thing called a Weapon player, where a few players (i.e. Ty Law, Terrell Owens) had the ability to beat their opponent's rating substantially and take over a game. I hate to use an analogy from a videogame, but it seems to me a top 3 pick means you should walk away with the 3rd best player in college football; a rare selection that should be used on the Best Player Available, who can dominate the position for several years (and waiting to fill needs with later picks).

Are these two guys in that category? I've heard that description about players like Green and Peterson, is that true? I'm a proponent of building from the lines out too, but we've got 7 other picks and history's shown our late guys usually beat out our day 1 picks anyways. (Williams-McCargo, Moats-Maybin, Nelson-Hardy, etc)
    Last edited by Oaf; 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM.

• Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: Sell me on Bowers/Dareus

Originally posted by Oaf
    Sure, nominally, they're the best at their position. But are their talents/production extraordinary enough to be worth a Top 3 selection, or are they only there by default? Show me some plays, stories, reviews, or whatever.

Madden used to have this thing called a Weapon player, where 2-3 players on your team (i.e. Ty Law, Terrell Owens) had the ability to overcome their opponent's rating substantially and take over a game. As much as I hate to use an analogy from a videogame, it seems to me that a top 3 pick means you should walk away with the 3rd best player in college football; it's a rare selection and should be used on the Best Player Available, who can dominate that position for several years (and waiting to fill needs with later picks).

Are these two guys in that category of potential? I've heard that description about players like Green and Peterson, is that true? I'm a proponent of building your team from the lines out too, but we've got 7 other picks and history's shown our 7th round and undrafted guys usually beat out our day 1 picks anyways.
    Bowers is Dareus is not IMO.

Bowers to me is a guy who at the next level can be a game changer. Dareus is more of a consistent guy who is always solid but only sometimes spectacular.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Re: Sell me on Bowers/Dareus

Dareus will be.

Of the top three DL he's the most versatile, the best fit, and has the most potential. But Dareus is going to take some time. If you're looking for immediate impact that's Fairley but he's also the worst fit as a 3-4 end. Bowers is the safest pick but he has consistency issues has only produced one year after being the #1 HS recruit in the country and people are questioning his heart.

Are any of them top 3 as you described it? Not for sure, but this is a below average class with poor depth so a lot of players are going to get over drafted. Are they top 5 overall in thsi draft? Yes without a doubt.
      Last edited by DraftBoy; 01-13-2011, 10:50 AM.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X