X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Commissioner
    • Dec 2004

Indepth analysis of Mallett and Gabbert - Football Outsiders

Most of his attributes are pretty obvious. He's built like an NFL quarterback, he has the arm of an NFL quarterback, and he has a high football IQ. He puts in the work, doesn't come with any of the prima donna tendencies you sometimes expect from a five-star recruit (look past the long hair -- it's as prim donna as he gets), and he is a tough competitor. He was more than happy to throw less and hand the ball off more in November when it became clear that Missouri's defense could win games on its own. After the regular season was over, he declared that he had 10 perfect games and two terrible ones ... because Mizzou went 10-2. No matter his injuries, you have to tie him down to keep him off the field.
    Draft Gabbert at #3!
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Indepth analysis of Mallett and Gabbert - Football Outsiders

I'm warming to the idea of Gabbert. The issue is that we won't be in a position to draft him (imo). I don't see him as an option at #3. The only way I see us going after him is if we trade down from #3 overall, or trade up from our second round pick into the first round (provided he drops to the late 1st round).

I know people want to keep as many picks as possible (I do too), but remember the Bills wanted to trade up into the first round to get player X.

I sure as heck wouldn't mind trading down. I would say that some team will really want Green, but even though Floyd and Blackmon aren't in this draft, it's still top heavy with some good #1 WR options. A team like St. Louis probably won't want to spend its draft picks to move up and take Green when they could sit back and get someone like Baldwin or Julio Jones.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• djjimkelly
      • Apr 2003

im fine with drafting gabbert at 3 if they truly think hes the man

if not a dlineman will do

i just dont want a wr or a cb

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Could Gabbert be Gailey's guy?
        Gailey:”If there is a franchise guy, I’m talking about a guy that can be the guy for six, eight, 10, 12 years then you’ve got to consider it. Even if Fitz starts for the next two years and you have to develop him, you still have to consider it. I know Buddy (Nix) and I are in this thing for the long term. We’re not just looking for the quick fix, what can we do to win this year no matter what. It’s about what the best decision is long term for the Buffalo Bills.”

On GAbbert
        He's built like an NFL quarterback, he has the arm of an NFL quarterback, and he has a high football IQ. He puts in the work, doesn't come with any of the prima donna tendencies you sometimes expect from a five-star recruit
        Gailey always talks about being football smart.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

I would rather play Fitz than Mallet no joke. Mallet is one of those "good enough to keep you in games and bad enough to lose them" guys. Just say no. He's like that girl you dated in high school that you keep thinking is going to put out but she never ever does.

Gabbert? No chance I'd take him in the first round, he's a project. He'd be an intriguing 2nd rounder along with Locker. Both may be gone before that but I'd be damned if I'd do a JP Losman style trade up to get either one. If either of those 2 is around at the top of the 2nd, yeah.

If I had to guess I'd say Newton will be the best of this year's class. But he's a project too. Someone might take him before they should because there's a shortage of NFL QB's and Newton will sell some tickets. I'd be interested in Newton potentially if he turns out not to be a dunce and we traded down to mid first. At 3? Not so much.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
            • Sep 2008

Gabbert gets sacked a lot. His accuracy mainly stems from the fact that he dinks and dunks a lot out of a spread offense. Look at his average yards per pass attempt. I'm having a very tough time believing this guy is as good as they are making him out to be because after watching highlights and a couple of games, I just don't see it, and the numbers he put up this year only heighten my suspicion. Besides experience, what makes him any different than Cam Newton?

Comment

Working...
            X