PDA

View Full Version : Some Scouts Aren't Sold On Gabbert

DraftBoy
01-13-2011, 11:45 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-all-the-Blaine-Gabbert-hype.html

Over the past two weeks the one name you can’t stop hearing come out of the mouth of just about any media source is Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert. He’s now being discussed as a potential top-10 pick for the 2011 NFL Draft, and according to some could end up being the top quarterback off the board.

Now this happens from time to time, when a potential blue-chip caliber position player, like Stanford QB Andrew Luck, decides to stay in school. There is an automatic uproar about who is the next-best player at that position and he kind of just shoots all the way up particular draft boards because he’s now considered one of the top quarterbacks in the country.

Im not saying I agree or disagree with this analysis but it is a good review.

kingJofNYC
01-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Don't always agree with Bunting, but that's a pretty good write up, much better than that hack piece from Football Outsiders. Guy barely watched Gabbert play, but thought he should evaluate him based on a single bowl game.

Bunting's "Scout Talk" podcast is a pretty good listen, former Bears director of college scouting, Greg Gabriel, is on with him. They do a pretty good job, and Gabriel has a ton of experience going back to his days with Young/Parcells.

DraftBoy
01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Don't always agree with Bunting, but that's a pretty good write up, much better than that hack piece from Football Outsiders. Guy barely watched Gabbert play, but thought he should evaluate him based on a single bowl game.

Bunting's "Scout Talk" podcast is a pretty good listen, former Bears director of college scouting, Greg Gabriel, is on with him. They do a pretty good job, and Gabriel has a ton of experience going back to his days with Young/Parcells.

Yea I dont agree with everything Wes says but he's good at film breakdown and he's put in the time. Granted its also in his genes.

psubills62
01-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Good read, thanks for posting it DB. Confirms my belief that he's nowhere near worth the 3rd overall pick. However, I do think he'll go in the first round due to QB overdrafting (another issue in itself).

To be honest, he sounds like a pretty decent fit for the Bills. First, he is a pocket passer with mobility. Second, he has upside if you can sit him and develop him (which I think we can do with Fitz).

The only concern is where we'd need to select him. Like I said in the other thread, we'd almost certainly either have to trade down a ways or trade back up into the first round. Not sure how comfortable I am trading up to get him (or anyone else at this point).

don137
01-13-2011, 12:10 PM
It amazes me how for the last year or more many were saying this draft will be the strongest at QB since the 1983 class yet I do not hear any QB without serious question marks assigned to all of them and their is no sure fire stud. My guess maybe one or two of them may turn out as good QBs but it sounds like most will never be anything more than a backup. I think the 1983 class will have more HOF QBs then this QB class will have as good NFL starters.

better days
01-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Questions about him as there are about every QB in this draft. If the Bills could trade down & get him I would be happy with that.

Bill Cody
01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I agree with it but there are a number of teams that need QB's and the choices are pretty limited. He may end up going earlier than he really should.
The teams I highlighted are all teams that might want to pull the trigger on a QB in the 1st.
Round 1

Carolina (2-14) no
Denver (4-12) no
Buffalo (4-12)
Cincinnati (4-12)
Arizona (5-11)
Cleveland (5-11)
San Francisco (6-10)
Tennessee (6-10)
Dallas (6-10)
Washington (6-10)
Houston (6-10)
Minnesota (6-10)
Detroit (6-10)
St. Louis (7-9)
Miami (7-9)
Jacksonville (8-8)
New England - from Oakland (8-8)
San Diego (9-7)
New York Giants (10-6)
Tampa Bay (10-6)
Kansas City* (10-6)
Indianapolis* (10-6)
Philadelphia* (10-6)
New Orleans* (11-5)
Seattle* (7-9)
Green Bay* (10-6)
New York Jets* (11-5)
Baltimore* (12-4)
Chicago* (11-5)
Pittsburgh* (12-4)
Atlanta* (13-3)
New England* (14-2)If a QB falls beyond 25 there's a good chance he drops all the way down to us in the 2nd.

better days
01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I agree with it but there are a number of teams that need QB's and the choices are pretty limited. He may end up going earlier than he really should.
The teams I highlighted are all teams that might want to pull the trigger on a QB in the 1st.
Round 1

Carolina (2-14) no
Denver (4-12) no
Buffalo (4-12)
Cincinnati (4-12)
Arizona (5-11)
Cleveland (5-11)
San Francisco (6-10)
Tennessee (6-10)
Dallas (6-10)
Washington (6-10)
Houston (6-10)
Minnesota (6-10)
Detroit (6-10)
St. Louis (7-9)
Miami (7-9)
Jacksonville (8-8)
San Diego (9-7)
New York Giants (10-6)
Tampa Bay (10-6)
Kansas City* (10-6)
Indianapolis* (10-6)
Philadelphia* (10-6)
New Orleans* (11-5)
Seattle* (7-9)
Green Bay* (10-6)
New York Jets* (11-5)
Baltimore* (12-4)
Chicago* (11-5)
Pittsburgh* (12-4)
Atlanta* (13-3)
New England* (14-2)If a QB falls beyond 25 there's a good chance he drops all the way down to us in the 2nd.

Unless as Denver did last year, a team trades back into the 1st for a guy they really want.

Bill Cody
01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Unless as Denver did last year, a team trades back into the 1st for a guy they really want.

Yes that's possible. But I honestly don't want that to be us. Been there done that bought the t-shirt.

Extremebillsfan247
01-13-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm not surprised, by comparison our own Levi Brown had better numbers than Gabbert virtually everywhere. If Levi were in this years draft with the numbers he put up in his last year at Troy, it wouldn't surprise me if he were talked about as going high in the draft. It's starting to make me think that all this talent rich QB class talk was all hype, and now that Luck isn't coming out, reality is starting to hit home a bit. This class could be potentially worse than last years was. JMO

better days
01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes that's possible. But I honestly don't want that to be us. Been there done that bought the t-shirt.

I am with you, I would not want to give up anything to move up & get him, but if the Bills could find a trade partner to trade down & get another pick then draft Gabbert with a lower 1st rnd pick, I would love that.

don137
01-13-2011, 12:35 PM
I still think a few of the QBs will fall to round two. I think one of two things will happen. The Bills will draft a QB in round two if they like the guy or if the Bills do not like them I can see a few trade offers coming their way for the #2 pick round two and the Bills getting an extra third or fourth rounder out of it depending on who is there.

ServoBillieves
01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm still confused with Gabbert.

When Luck was around, it was "If Luck isn't there, there's still Mallett, Newton, Ponder..."

Yet, Luck says he's going to stay in school, and Gabbert is God's gift to the QB position and leapfrogs every other QB. When the hell did this happen?

Bangarang
01-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Before the talking heads at ESPN mentioned this kid going in the top 5, NOBODY even had him going in the first round. Everyone knew he should have stayed in school and will be a project coming into the NFL. It's just weird how everyone's opinion on him changed so quickly.

Akhippo
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Round 1

Carolina (2-14) no
Denver (4-12) no
Buffalo (4-12)
Cincinnati (4-12)
Arizona (5-11)
Cleveland (5-11)
San Francisco (6-10)
Tennessee (6-10)
Dallas (6-10)
Washington (6-10)
Houston (6-10)
Minnesota (6-10)
Detroit (6-10)
St. Louis (7-9)
Miami (7-9)
Jacksonville (8-8)
San Diego (9-7)
New York Giants (10-6)
Tampa Bay (10-6)
Kansas City* (10-6)
Indianapolis* (10-6)
Philadelphia* (10-6)
New Orleans* (11-5)
Seattle* (7-9)
Green Bay* (10-6)
New York Jets* (11-5)
Baltimore* (12-4)
Chicago* (11-5)
Pittsburgh* (12-4)
Atlanta* (13-3)

There are alot of variables to the draft and these QBs. Especially since they all have their own unique flaws.

Mallet - Slow Footed
Newton - Passer Capable?
Gabbert - Shotgun and reads
Locker - Potential after horrid season

The key is a concensus order and hope a team has one rated way higher than the rest. Say Washington really likes Locker and thinks that Tenn. might grab him. Would they trade with Buffalo for the #3 and give up a second this year and next for him.

Or does Minny need one that bad that they would move above SF? How about Tenn? I hope like heck that they get desperate for a QB in the coming months and that AZ and SF lay on the "we need a QB bad" act.

Even better would be to move down to #10, have Gabbert still there and pick him, then have two seconds to fix the defense.

Extremebillsfan247
01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm still confused with Gabbert.

When Luck was around, it was "If Luck isn't there, there's still Mallett, Newton, Ponder..."

Yet, Luck says he's going to stay in school, and Gabbert is God's gift to the QB position and leapfrogs every other QB. When the hell did this happen?He's the flavor of the day? just a guess. lol

chernobylwraiths
01-13-2011, 01:40 PM
I was listening to someone on either GR or WECK yesterday on the ride home and there was a guy talking about him saying that all of his presnap reads came from the sidelines. That he would walk to the line of scrimmage, see the defense line up and then look to the sidelines for what to do. Can anybody confirm this? If he isn't even allowed to try to read defenses in college, I don't want him as a high pick, or maybe at all.

kingJofNYC
01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
I was listening to someone on either GR or WECK yesterday on the ride home and there was a guy talking about him saying that all of his presnap reads came from the sidelines. That he would walk to the line of scrimmage, see the defense line up and then look to the sidelines for what to do. Can anybody confirm this? If he isn't even allowed to try to read defenses in college, I don't want him as a high pick, or maybe at all.

That's not really a knock on Gabbert, but more a failure of the college game to prepare these kids. Newton does the same thing, so did Tebow, as did Bradford, as did McCoy, and so on. These fast paced spread systems have players lining up asap, coaches get a pre-snap look, and then make the call based on the initial read.

justasportsfan
01-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I think he's a project which is why I am not high on him at 3.

Commissioner
01-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Tons of college teams do that.....

Both QB's in the National Championship game did that on a consistent basis.

BidsJr
01-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm not surprised, by comparison our own Levi Brown had better numbers than Gabbert virtually everywhere. If Levi were in this years draft with the numbers he put up in his last year at Troy, it wouldn't surprise me if he were talked about as going high in the draft. It's starting to make me think that all this talent rich QB class talk was all hype, and now that Luck isn't coming out, reality is starting to hit home a bit. This class could be potentially worse than last years was. JMO

buuuwahahahahhahahahahhahahhah!

k-oneputt
01-13-2011, 02:38 PM
The numbers ??? Oh boy.

Bufftp
01-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I wasn't overly impressed with him in the insight bowl.

Extremebillsfan247
01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
buuuwahahahahhahahahahhahahhah!Yeah, what's really funny is that Brown was lucky to be drafted last year and he's a better QB than Gabbert. lol

X-Era
01-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I think like in many years, QB's may be taken higher than they rank due to how the position is coveted.

My stance hasn't changed on it. If the Bills feel Gabbert or some other QB is worthy of the 3 pick, I'm OK with the pick. I think the Bills tend to be fairly conservative and don't sway to far from popular opinion. Now, if the thought is that the ranks are a bit more volatile for the QB's this year, I could see that. If Mallett comes off as having questionable maturity for example, you could see some teams not willing to draft him even in round 2. Yet other teams may think the upside is worth a 1st round pick. Overall, I think Gabbert's stock may be less volatile than either Mallett's or Newton's and even Locker's.

I can't completely form an opinion as to whether any of the QB's are worthy of the 3 pick yet. If I were to say right now, I would lean toward no. I see more like mid to late 1 picks.

BidsJr
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah, what's really funny is that Brown was lucky to be drafted last year and he's a better QB than Gabbert. lol

Puff, puff, pass.

alohabillsfan
01-14-2011, 04:57 AM
"if" we go BPA it will not be a QB, not one of them rate as a top 3 talent. If we reach for a position of need we are screwed... DL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please...

YardRat
01-14-2011, 05:21 AM
There isn't a QB out there worth a top 15 pick, relative to the other talent that will be available. Maybe even the entire first round. But, as always, some team or teams will reach. Somebody is going to go pretty high, and one or two more will sneak into the first.

X-Era
01-14-2011, 05:48 AM
"if" we go BPA it will not be a QB, not one of them rate as a top 3 talent. If we reach for a position of need we are screwed... DL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please...It seems Nix is now looking for biggest impact available. No position can make a bigger impact than QB. The only question mark is if any of them end up being worthy of the 3 pick.

"We’ll let it play out and do our homework and the guy there that can make the biggest impact for us is the one we’ll take.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/13/nix-points-to-greatest-impact/

chernobylwraiths
01-14-2011, 06:02 AM
It seems Nix is now looking for biggest impact available. No position can make a bigger impact than QB. The only question mark is if any of them end up being worthy of the 3 pick.

"We’ll let it play out and do our homework and the guy there that can make the biggest impact for us is the one we’ll take.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/13/nix-points-to-greatest-impact/

A great defensive lineman can make quite an impact on a defense that couldn't stop the run or rush the passer.

X-Era
01-14-2011, 06:03 AM
A great defensive lineman can make quite an impact on a defense that couldn't stop the run or rush the passer.Nix used the term "biggest" impact.

But yes, I agree. I would have no problem with drafting a few of the DL prospects at 3.

chernobylwraiths
01-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Nix used the term "biggest" impact.

But yes, I agree. I would have no problem with drafting a few of the DL prospects at 3.

I don't think any rookie QB will have a huge impact early on over what Fitzpatrick can do now. The Bills defense is a sieve. A great defensive lineman, linebacker or safety would have a huge impact on this team. Not that I know if any of those players are available. I wouldn't take any of these QBs at 3.

Hell, maybe by biggest he meant biggest player? Who is the biggest player in the draft? Who isn't a fat slob that is.

X-Era
01-14-2011, 06:18 AM
I don't think any rookie QB will have a huge impact early on over what Fitzpatrick can do now. The Bills defense is a sieve. A great defensive lineman, linebacker or safety would have a huge impact on this team. Not that I know if any of those players are available. I wouldn't take any of these QBs at 3.

Hell, maybe by biggest he meant biggest player? Who is the biggest player in the draft? Who isn't a fat slob that is.I was reading his words verbatim. Who knows what he actually meant.

If you simply take him on what he said, he is looking for the a player who can make the biggest impact for us.

He didn't specify in year one
He didn't specify in what area
He didn't specify at what position

I took it from there and said that overall, if you look at an entire team, no position can make a bigger impact than QB. I agree that it may not be year one. But we aren't likely to be one player away from a playoff team for next year anyways. Gailey has also stated that if a franchise type QB is there at 3, we have to look at that.

To me it's not going to come down to whether we think a QB can help us year one or not. I also am not sure it will come down to who can help us more in year one. I think Nix wants long term, sustainable success. I think it will simply be more about who is worthy of the 3 pick and can make the biggest impact long term.

Which means if one of these QB's ends up being worthy of the 3 pick, which is very much in question, we could easily take that player.

alohabillsfan
01-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Lets see, 99.8 percent of the games have been played minus Senior bowl, etc.. If there is not a francise QB rated in the top 10, 2 months from now there still shouldn't. People place to much on combine measurables. The interview should be the only thing that would improve some stock, although only slightly. The way I see it the first QB taken should be around pick 15

Extremebillsfan247
01-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Puff, puff, pass. Post deleted out of respect for the board.