X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Nix points to greatest impact

Bills GM Buddy Nix was asked about the team’s approach to the 3rd overall pick in this spring’s draft when he appeared on the FAN590 in Toronto this afternoon (Thursday). Nix’s approach sounds no different to what it has always been year after year.

“We’re not going to draft for positional need,” he said.*”It’s obvious when you’re picking third that you’re not real good unless you traded for it. So we can get help in any area. For any speculation or mock drafts that have us picking this or that, they don’t know I promise you and if I knew I wouldn’t tell it. We’ll let it play out and do our homework and the guy there that can make the biggest impact for us is the one we’ll take.”

It’s hard to disagree with Nix. There are several holes that they do need to fill. What’s important is he made it clear that the prospect that can provide the greatest impact will be the one selected.

For those of you who said you are done with this team if the Bills draft WR or CB...
  • SquishDaFish
    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
    • Jun 2005

Re: Nix points to greatest impact

I agree Draft should ALWAYS be BPA. try to fill the holes in Free agency

Comment

• BillsFever21
      • Aug 2004

I agree. If you are drafting late in the 1st then drafting primarily by positional need(s) makes sense at times because the player doesn't cost a ton of money.

When you are drafting 3rd overall you need to make sure you get an impact player even if it's not a position of dire need. The money you pay for that pick makes it even more important to come out with an impact player regardless of position.

With the way the NFL is that pick may not be a position of dire need at that exact moment but it could easily be in another year or two. You HAVE to get an impact player though. If you draft just for position and draft somebody who isn't worth that money it could hurt you for years.

As Nix said, when you are drafting 3rd then you are not a very good team and should be building for the future. You build your team around your great players and go from there.

As long as it's at a position you can use I'm all for drafting the player that can provide the biggest impact. Now if you already had say two great WR's I wouldn't be drafting another one in that spot but if it's a player at any position that you could use him at then you draft BPA. You have to get an impact player at that position or it will hurt your team financially for years to come. Especially a team like the Bills that are not big spenders and operate on a strict budget.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2010

i just hope they think dareus is better than peterson

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Still waiting for Spiller's impact.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Biggest impact................. that means not a WR.

Comment

• Oaf
              Do you read what you write?
              • Jun 2007

Me too.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Well this startegy worked for Detroit when they took a WR 4 years in row.

Are you telling me that if a running back is the best player at #3 we are taking a RB again?

One thing is for sure at this point. Nix has no idea who he is taking.

Comment

• The Slave
                  • Jan 2010

If Carolina takes Fairley, Denver takes Peterson.

A.J Green could be a possibility. I think he just might be a Bill come draft.

If Carolina takes Green, Denver definitely takes Fairley, and then Peterson would be a Bill.

Those are the 3 BPA, IMO.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                    Hall of Fame Zoner
                    • Jan 2010

if nix takes aj green i swear to god, he better be randy moss 1998. if nix drafts peterson he better be as good as revis!!!!!

Comment

• BillsFever21
                      • Aug 2004

There's a difference from drafting who you think will be an impact player and him actually being an impact player. There is no guarantee he will be an impact player.

Detroit kept taking WR's because they really wanted a top WR but kept taking the wrong ones and Millen was also an idiot.

Of course the meaning of drafting an impact player over just going by needs doesn't mean you take another RB at #3. It means you don't just draft a position of greatest need and that's it. There has to be a mixture of need and BPA/impact player in the process. You have to be able to have some use for the guy.

I think what Nix and others mean is you don't just draft primarily by your most immediate positional need and draft a lower talented player in that spot instead of taking one of the best players that you will have some use for. Of course that never guarantees that the player will actually be an impact player.
                      Last edited by BillsFever21; 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• McBFLO
                        • Mar 2003

WRs don't typically make an impact player in their first year, and WR has become one of the deepest positions on the roster. I would be shocked if they went for Green.

If Carolina takes Fairley, I could see Denver going Peterson or Bowers. John Fox is going to want to rebuild their D.

A lot can happen in 3 months. I'm wondering what their thinking will be if, 3 months from now, Merriman is healthy and looking like a total beast. Do we still go for pass rush? I don't know a lot about him, but I think that's where we could go with that Darius
                        Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                          • Sep 2003

Impact positions, QB, LT, DT, DE... IMHO

NO QB or LT worth it at 3, So Fairley, Bowers or Darius.

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Biggest impact doesn't necessarily mean biggest need and it also may not mean best player available.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BillsFever21
                              There's a difference from drafting who you think will be an impact player and him actually being an impact player. There is no guarantee he will be an impact player.

Detroit kept taking WR's because they really wanted a top WR but kept taking the wrong ones and Millen was also an idiot.

Of course the meaning of drafting an impact player over just going by needs doesn't mean you take another RB at #3. It means you don't just draft a position of greatest need and that's it. There has to be a mixture of need and BPA/impact player in the process. You have to be able to have some use for the guy.

I think what Nix and others mean is you don't just draft primarily by your most immediate positional need and draft a lower talented player in that spot instead of taking one of the best players that you will have some use for. Of course that never guarantees that the player will actually be an impact player.
                              Solid post

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X