PDA

View Full Version : Bills struggled setting the edge

X-Era
01-14-2011, 05:59 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article312031.ece

Great piece. It points to some of the personnel issues we had and what we may need to do going forward.

A few quick hitters:

-They like Carrington a lot and could plan to start him next season
-That means Stroud may be cut
-They say Kellen Heard is under contract... must mean we have him locked up for next season

This talks to some of the stuff we have talked about. If Carrington starts, Williams starts, and Edwards starts... where is there room for a new high round DL? Do I think they will still get one? Yes. I think it will be someone who can rotate in.

Night Train
01-14-2011, 06:29 AM
The fact the Bills signed yet another 355 NG to look at only solidifies the plan to run the 4-3 most of the time. Williams needs help up the middle.

It also may be telling us that DL is the priority in this off-season, followed by LB.

ChristopherWalken
01-14-2011, 07:31 AM
I like this quote:

A Bills defense that ranked 30th against the run in 2009 dropped to 32nd in 2010. The result was almost identical to what happened in Kansas City, which switched schemes in 2009. The Chiefs were 30th in 2008 and dropped to 31st in 2009.

The Cheifs were ranked 6th against the run this year (2010) which obviously helped launch them into the post season.

I hope the Bills can do something similar next season.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Great piece. It points to some of the personnel issues we had and what we may need to do going forward.

A few quick hitters:

-They say Kellen Heard is under contract... must mean we have him locked up for next season

This talks to some of the stuff we have talked about. If Carrington starts, Williams starts, and Edwards starts... where is there room for a new high round DL? Do I think they will still get one? Yes. I think it will be someone who can rotate in.

I think they say that now cause they have no idea who will be on the board. If Fairley or Dareus are gone then yes, he will start but I feel Chan and Nix know they need to get bigger and better upfront.

Mahdi
01-14-2011, 12:54 PM

A few quick hitters:

Exactly.

For me, I would not mind Bowers or Fairley but I really think our DL is fine. I think our LBs made our DL look ineffective.

Therefore I think we go BPA between Green, Peterson and Newton.

Akhippo
01-14-2011, 02:58 PM

A few quick hitters:

There was also the issue of when Dwan went down, the lineplay did also. Carrington is also an up and comer who isnt an immediate stud. If we had a Dareus or Fairley, who I think are a hair more solid than Carrington, that would ensure a solid line rotation even through an injury.

You could even put a Fairley next to Williams on the inside time to time and let them wreck havoc. Its a win win none the less. We are worried about having to many good players?

Prov401
01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Exactly.

For me, I would not mind Bowers or Fairley but I really think our DL is fine. I think our LBs made our DL look ineffective.

Newton is not getting picked 3rd. I know crazier things have happened, but he just isn't going to be taken that high.

I think AJ Green will be an outstanding football player, I just hope not for the Bills.

We have to go defense this pick. And people may not like the Peterson pick, but bottom line, McGee is average AND always was. McKelvin is tremendously inconsistent, and Florence is a FA. I can definitely see the Bills drafting Peterson, and I wouldn't mind at all.

YardRat
01-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Smith on Troup: "I think Troup is what you're looking for in the 3-4. We've had to kind of do a version of some unders and some 4-3 looks to survive in the first year. I've been pleased with the way Troup's developed. ... He's going to work hard, and he's got good long arms, so he's able to separate off [off blocks]. We're going to continue to work on him being a little more explosive off the ball and attacking blocks a little bit better. His deal is block recognition. The more snaps he plays, the better he's going to get."

Good to hear. I really expect Troup to get better next season, and maybe even explode in year #3.

The Jokeman
01-14-2011, 07:23 PM
I like this quote:

A Bills defense that ranked 30th against the run in 2009 dropped to 32nd in 2010. The result was almost identical to what happened in Kansas City, which switched schemes in 2009. The Chiefs were 30th in 2008 and dropped to 31st in 2009.

The Cheifs were ranked 6th against the run this year (2010) which obviously helped launch them into the post season.

I hope the Bills can do something similar next season.

One could argue that a big reason turn around for the 2010 Chiefs D improvement was the addition of Romeo Crennel at DC but also some food for thought:

Here's a link to the first depth chart of 2009 and then the one for 2010. After the jump I listed all the positions that are different from 2009 to 2010. Remember, this is just for the original depth charts of each season. I think we were a little more delusional back then.

Free safety: Jon McGraw (Jarrad Page)
Strong safety: Eric Berry (Bernard Pollard)
Inside linebacker: Corey Mays (Zach Thomas)
Inside linebacker: Demorrio Williams (Derrick Johnson)
Defensive end: Tyson Jackson (Alfonso Boone)

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231940/

In other words the Chiefs replaced close to half of their starters in 2010. Oh btw it was interesting to see who the Chiefs NT is. It was none other then former Bills DT Ron Edwards ie the guy we let kept in part to let Pat Williams leave as a free agent. Oh if click on the link try not to stare too long at the posters avatar.

YardRat
01-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Fix the link please?

Spiderweb
01-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Exactly.

Our DL is fine? So, you were watching who when he rest of us were watching the Bills?

No disagreement in that our LB's were brutal, but oustide of Williams, our DL blew chunks. Troup and Carrington development seems probable and should help, but there is a serious lack of talent on the DL.