PDA

View Full Version : Watching The Ravens Front 7 Convinces Me The Bills Should Draft

Night Train
01-15-2011, 05:11 PM
..A QB,CB or WR at #3.

:rolleyes:

tomz
01-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Remember when Suggs came out all the discussion about his size (smallish) during the draft run-up?

It seems like the Ravens built their front seven and then keep drafting players for the front seven year in and year out.

Night Train
01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Remember when Suggs came out all the discussion about his size (smallish) during the draft run-up?

It seems like the Ravens built their front seven and then keep drafting players for the front seven year in and year out.

They did draft a QB (Flacco) & a RB (Rice) early, but only after they concentrated on keeping the Front 7 solid with talent..

Only then did they upgrade the so called skill players..

Watch and learn, Madden fans. This is real football.

Slim
01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
While I do want to draft defense with out first pick, this game is being lost by Big Ben. He's holding onto the ball for SOOOO long, of course Suggs is going to get their if you give him that much time to get after you.

TacklingDummy
01-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Who did the Bills draft instead of Ngata?

Beebe's Kid
01-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Who did the Bills draft instead of Ngata?
Wait...you mean we could have drafted Ngata and we took Whitner??

What an outrage!!!! We should start a separate thread about this.

It should go right after the one about Ralph ponying up and getting Woodley.

YardRat
01-15-2011, 06:14 PM
The Steeler's front 7 ain't doing too bad either. Have the Ravens cracked 100 total yards yet?

X-Era
01-15-2011, 06:54 PM
..A QB,CB or WR at #3.

:rolleyes:Watching the Ravens front 7 convinces me we are 3-5 years at best from having their defense.

X-Era
01-15-2011, 06:56 PM
They did draft a QB (Flacco) & a RB (Rice) early, but only after they concentrated on keeping the Front 7 solid with talent..

Only then did they upgrade the so called skill players..

Watch and learn, Madden fans. This is real football.Again, tell it to Peyton Manning (who has a ring).

X-Era
01-15-2011, 07:00 PM
And the Ravens just lost the game. Threading the needle on the long throw to Brown had a huge impact on winning this game for the Steelers.

ServoBillieves
01-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Also coulda drafted Kamerion Wimbley... or Chad Greenway... or Tamba Hali... Or John McCargo... wait...

Night Train
01-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Again, tell it to Peyton Manning (who has a ring).

Yup. There are dozens of Peyton Mannings around the league and available in every draft. Which of the 4-5 clones should we select #1 ?

He's the rule, not the rare exception. :up:

X-Era
01-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Yup. There are dozens of Peyton Mannings around the league and available in every draft. Which of the 4-5 clones should we select #1 ?

He's the rule, not the rare exception. :up:Nope. All you need is Fitz and to spend the 3 pick on (take your DL pick) and were a top 5 defense who can got to the SB.

Pitt has Roeth and the Ravens have Flacco... those guys are just average QB's like Fitz.

Welcome to an average defense AND an average QB.

Upgrade the defense and get a franchise QB... just realize you don't need a top 5 defense if you get a franchise QB... were unlikely to build that top notch defense anyways.

It doesn't need to be mutually exclusive.

Ingtar33
01-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Nope. All you need is Fitz and to spend the 3 pick on (take your DL pick) and were a top 5 defense who can got to the SB.

Pitt has Roeth and the Ravens have Flacco... those guys are just average QB's like Fitz.

Welcome to an average defense AND an average QB.

Upgrade the defense and get a franchise QB... just realize you don;t need a top 5 defense if you get a franchise QB... were unlikely to build that top notch defense anyways.

nm... i see what you did. lol.

yeah. i don't get some people sometimes. both those guys are light years better then fitz, yet the way some people talk on this board you'd think fitz was the 2nd coming of tom brady...

evol4276
01-15-2011, 07:14 PM
nah, after watching that game, what we really need is a bunch of referee's that'll make sure the home team wins the game no matter what. and no high-paid recievers who can't catch a ball to save their lives lol

YardRat
01-15-2011, 07:18 PM

yeah. i don't get some people sometimes.

I'm guessing he was being sarcastic.

Like it or not, this game was all about defense, despite the number of points scored.

nah, after watching that game, what we really need is a bunch of referee's that'll make sure the home team wins the game no matter what. and no high-paid recievers who can't catch a ball to save their lives lol

Baltimore led the league this season in fewest passes dropped, with 14. Doesn't count for much, though, when both Boldin and TJ drop critical balls (both were good passes by Flacco, too).

Crisis
well maybe the ravens should've drafted more CBs after all

YardRat
Damn...I thought I quoted you before you edited it :D

Night Train
01-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Nope. All you need is Fitz and to spend the 3 pick on (take your DL pick) and were a top 5 defense who can got to the SB.

That's step 3 in building a team. Step 1 & 2 is building a D that 1.) doesn't set records in giving up rushing yardage and 2.) pressures the QB. An actual D keeps you in games.

In the last 9 years, the Bills traded a first rounder for Bledsoe and drafted Losman in Round 1. Let's count the playoff appearances.

I wish to try a different order for becoming a winner because chasing rainbows isn't working. We have 11 years of proof.

X-Era
01-15-2011, 07:20 PM

yeah. i don't get some people sometimes. both those guys are light years better then fitz, yet the way some people talk on this board you'd think fitz was the 2nd coming of tom brady...I don't think it's that. I think they are convinced we will build a top 5 defense in the next few years. I just don't think that's likely.

And yet getting a franchise QB may end up being in our grasp. It may end up that none of these guys are likely to be that too... I admit that.

evol4276
01-15-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm guessing he was being sarcastic.

Like it or not, this game was all about defense, despite the number of points scored.

Baltimore led the league this season in fewest passes dropped, with 14. Doesn't count for much, though, when both Boldin and TJ drop critical balls (both were good passes by Flacco, too).
that was a little trigger-happy on my part there. just ticked they lost all focus come playoff time lol

one of the most obnoxiously reffed game i've seen in a long time tho. just venting, thats all haha

Ingtar33
01-15-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't think it's that. I think they are convinced we will build a top 5 defense in the next few years. I just don't think that's likely.

And yet getting a franchise QB may end up being in our grasp. It may end up that none of these guys are likely to be that too... I admit that.

I don't see any of the guys this year worth it... this is reminding me of the fabled QB class of 2007, with JaMarcus Russell headlining what might go down in history as one of the worst QB classes of all time.

Night Train
01-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Anyone else think Gabbert, Newton or Mallet looks like a " Franchise QB " , at #3 overall, capable of starting and succeeding early like Sam Bradford ?

X-Era
01-15-2011, 07:54 PM
I don't see any of the guys this year worth it... this is reminding me of the fabled QB class of 2007, with JaMarcus Russell headlining what might go down in history as one of the worst QB classes of all time.That could very well be the case. I just don't think it's a given yet.

X-Era
01-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Anyone else think Gabbert, Newton or Mallet looks like a " Franchise QB " , at #3 overall, capable of starting and succeeding early like Sam Bradford ?Who said the prospect needs to perform year one? I mean we have Fitz for the year or part of the year. Let the rook sit and learn. Of course after the next season Fitz is a UFA and I'd be interested to hear if everyone agrees that we should pay him starting QB money and resign him to a fairly long contract... with no backup plan.

Night Train
01-16-2011, 06:58 AM
I also think the Bills are saying all the right things to attract phone calls while on the clock.

Why deny anything when you wish to make that #3 overall pick a " Must Have " for certain teams desperate for a certain position or player ? If we dig up the points system, the #3 pick brings a lot in return and the Bills need to think more like the Pats on Draft day, in order to fill the multiple glaring holes.

I understand X-Era's position completely and view Fitz as strictly short term... but I'm picking immediate player(s) on D over a single developmental QB who sits.

Let Tim Graham print articles on the Bills looking at Gabbert/Newton and watch a team like the Redskins overpay for our slot, desperate for a QB. Then draft wisely with extra picks.

X-Era
01-16-2011, 06:58 AM
That's step 3 in building a team. Step 1 & 2 is building a D that 1.) doesn't set records in giving up rushing yardage and 2.) pressures the QB. An actual D keeps you in games.

In the last 9 years, the Bills traded a first rounder for Bledsoe and drafted Losman in Round 1. Let's count the playoff appearances.

I wish to try a different order for becoming a winner because chasing rainbows isn't working. We have 11 years of proof.These things can be done in parallel, it doesn't have to be sequential.

X-Era
01-16-2011, 07:07 AM
I also think the Bills are saying all the right things to attract phone calls while on the clock.

Why deny anything when you wish to make that #3 overall pick a " Must Have " for certain teams desperate for a certain position or player ? If we dig up the points system, the #3 pick brings a lot in return and the Bills need to think more like the Pats on Draft day, in order to fill the multiple glaring holes.

I understand X-Era's position completely and view Fitz as strictly short term... but I'm picking immediate player(s) on D over a single developmental QB who sits.

Let Tim Graham print articles on the Bills looking at Gabbert/Newton and watch a team like the Redskins overpay for our slot, desperate for a QB. Then draft wisely with extra picks.I actually agree with you. If the Bills view any QB as not being worthy of the 3 pick and another team wants to move up to get one, I wouldn't mind a trade down.

It's not impossible to think a team could trade up to 3 for a guy like Newton, we move down to their slot at say 10 and get Gabbert, the guy we liked better anyways. And we pick up multiple additional picks in doing so. It's a risk that the Titans, SF, and the Cards will skip QB though.

The trade value would be 2200, Wash at 10 has 1300. That means they have to cough up another 900 points which is equal to their 2nd and 3rd rounder and another pick.

The other possibility for a trade down is if AJ Green or Patrick Peterson, and moreso Peterson drops to 3. This could happen. You could see Denver and Carolina go with say Fairley and Bowers. At that point Peterson whom some think is the best player in the whole draft becomes a hot target. Maybe a team like the Cowboys at 9 is willing to make a move up. We have traded with the Cowboys many times over the past decade as I remember.

This draft is very deep at DL, we can get very good players out round 1.

YardRat
01-16-2011, 07:53 AM
These things can be done in parallel, it doesn't have to be sequential.

We don't have two first round draft choices at the number #3 spot. Some things absolutely have to be done sequentially.

I think you're missing the point that some of us are trying to make. I can only speak for myself and my observations of other's comments, but nobody is ruling out the necessity for an upgrade at the QB position somewhere, some time. It's just that this year, at the #3 spot, considering who's available, it's neither the time or place to risk choosing a QB over defense.

X-Era
01-16-2011, 01:46 PM
We don't have two first round draft choices at the number #3 spot. Some things absolutely have to be done sequentially.

I think you're missing the point that some of us are trying to make. I can only speak for myself and my observations of other's comments, but nobody is ruling out the necessity for an upgrade at the QB position somewhere, some time. It's just that this year, at the #3 spot, considering who's available, it's neither the time or place to risk choosing a QB over defense.My point is that none of us can state that like it's a fact in January.

TacklingDummy
01-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Wait...you mean we could have drafted Ngata and we took Whitner??

What an outrage!!!! We should start a separate thread about this.

It should go right after the one about Ralph ponying up and getting Woodley.

Wrong, Jay Cutler.

YardRat
01-16-2011, 02:55 PM
My point is that none of us can state that like it's a fact in January.

Actually this is the exact time to state that as fact. With the info we have today, taking a QB at three is a huge risk. Whether or not any will turn out to be great QB's, however, remains to be seen.

X-Era
01-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Actually this is the exact time to state that as fact. With the info we have today, taking a QB at three is a huge risk. Whether or not any will turn out to be great QB's, however, remains to be seen.I won't argue with you. You can't peg these guys in as far as rank and where they will be drafted yet.