• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Defense, Defense, Defense

As of the results of today's games, the four highest possible ranked teams in terms of points allowed are still in the playoffs.

1. Pittsburgh - still alive.
    2. Green Bay - still alive.
    3. Baltimore - beaten by #1 Pitt.
    4. Chicago - still alive.
    5. Atlanta - beaten by #2 Green Bay.
    6. NY Jets - still alive.

Meanwhile, proven 'franchise' QB's like Manning and Brady will be watching at home, along with a couple of young guys that have been tagged as 'franchise' early in their careers such as Ryan and Flacco.

Granted, Roethlisberger is working on a pretty impressive resume and Rodgers is starting to come into his own, but Cutler and Sanchez aren't anything special.

Quarterbacks may sell tickets and get you to the playoffs. Defenses win championships.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Prov401
    President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
    • Aug 2008

Re: Defense, Defense, Defense

Originally posted by YardRat
    As of the results of today's games, the four highest possible ranked teams in terms of points allowed are still in the playoffs.

1. Pittsburgh - still alive.
    2. Green Bay - still alive.
    3. Baltimore - beaten by #1 Pitt.
    4. Chicago - still alive.
    5. Atlanta - beaten by #2 Green Bay.
    6. NY Jets - still alive.

Meanwhile, proven 'franchise' QB's like Manning and Brady will be watching at home, along with a couple of young guys that have been tagged as 'franchise' early in their careers such as Ryan and Flacco.

Granted, Roethlisberger is working on a pretty impressive resume and Rodgers is starting to come into his own, but Cutler and Sanchez aren't anything special.

Quarterbacks may sell tickets and get you to the playoffs. Defenses win championships.
    Amen.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
      The Voice of Reason
      • Jul 2007

Here's the issue:

The Steelers and Packers have done it on both sides of the ball. Your defense alone can't win championships anymore, you need those receiving threats and you need the quarterback who can get them the ball.

We can win games with our offense right now, we can't win with our defense.
      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ServoBillieves
        Here's the issue:

The Steelers and Packers have done it on both sides of the ball. Your defense alone can't win championships anymore, you need those receiving threats and you need the quarterback who can get them the ball.

We can win games with our offense right now, we can't win with our defense.
        Pittsburgh went 3-1 without Ben. Green Bay lost the only game Flynn started, but it was against NE 31-27. Granted, they also lost to Detroit when he replaced Rodgers after he was injured.

If we can win games with our offense right now, why would anybody want to reach for a QB in the upcoming draft?
        Last edited by YardRat; 01-16-2011, 08:19 PM.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jdbillsfan
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
          Pittsburgh went 3-1 without Ben. Green Bay lost the only game Flynn started, but it was against NE 31-27. Granted, they also lost to Detroit when he replaced Rodgers after he was injured.

If we can win games with our offense right now, why would anybody want to reach for a QB in the upcoming draft?
          Whoever they pick, I hope they aren't thinking it's a reach.

Comment

• Bmax
            • Aug 2003

You need both a Good QB and Def.. The simple fact is the Bills need players .. Sure they need to improve their front seven but no way can this team win a playoff game with fitzpatrick at Qb...Even with the Steelers Def...they would lose....

Bmax

Comment

• Oaf
              Do you read what you write?
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Bmax
              but no way can this team win a playoff game with fitzpatrick at Qb
              That's where I would probably disagree. I think he CAN do it. Maybe not 4 games in a row. But, I think he's got what it takes to win a game or two in there.

Sure, low expectations and all but we have 10-15 other spots that DON'T have playoff caliber players at those positions.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Bmax
                Sure they need to improve their front seven but no way can this team win a playoff game with fitzpatrick at Qb...

Bmax
                Which QB in the NFL COULD the Bills win a playoff game with right now?

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

The argument seems to change every year. Last year, with Brees and Manning in the SB, it was the QB.

This year, defense is trumping everything.

So I'll just say this....I really enjoyed the Steelers and Ravens going toe to toe Sat. night, You had 2 very good D 7's controlling most of the game.

It would be great to have a D like that again.

Comment

• Prov401
                    President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                    • Aug 2008

Good defense keeps you in every single game, period.

When you have a QB like Rodgers or Ben, that certainly helps to your team's success.

I don't agree that having a great D is all you need to reach the promise land. Here are the last 22 SB winning QB's.

Brees, Roethlisberger, E. Manning, P. Manning, Roethlisberger, Brady, Brady, B. Johnson, Brady, Dilfer, Warner, Elway, Elway, Favre, Aikman, Young, Aikman, Aikman, Rypien, Hostetler, Montana, Montana.

I'd say 18 of the last 22 Superbowl winning QB's have been won by players that are considered to be 'Franchise QB's'. (Hostetler, Rypien, Dilfer, Johnson)

It goes hand in hand. You need a great team to win the Superbowl. Not a great QB, without a great D, or vice versa. Every unit needs to be great.

I'll say this. Multiple players make up the defense, and our D needs much more help than our QB position. Build the D, then get our franchise QB later. We aren't even kind of close to competing with the Steelers, Packers, Pats, Jets, Ravens, etc. We need to build our D in this draft/FA.
                    Last edited by Prov401; 01-16-2011, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

I have no problem building the defense and the OL. I think that's how you build a team - build the lines, get a couple studs/playmakers at the skill positions, then when you get a chance to draft a franchise QB (whether an NFL-ready one like Bradford or one who needs development, a la Freeman/Flacco), draft him.

Mark Sanchez proves that if you put any ordinary schmuck on a team ready-made for winning, you can win.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Oaf
                        That's where I would probably disagree. I think he CAN do it. Maybe not 4 games in a row. But, I think he's got what it takes to win a game or two in there.

Sure, low expectations and all but we have 10-15 other spots that DON'T have playoff caliber players at those positions.
                        I'm more in line with your thinking than whatever else is being posted here.

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

I have always been a BPA guy. Having said that, I would much rather go defense. Fitz is not our long-term answer, but he is not the big, swollen, shiny pimple on our nose either. We have a serious, desperate, and legit need for DL, CB and LB - and in no particular order. If we land those in the top four rounds and they're basically BPA, then I'll be happy. I'd still like an OT and a young QB in there somewhere. We have 5 picks in the 1st four rounds (I think?) and these would ultimately be my positional choices. Again, provided they're BPA.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                            Hall of Fame Zoner
                            • Jan 2010

i know im going to killed for this but i think dareus has bruce smith potential. hes incredibly big, country strong, and very very quick. he has good hands, has a good mature attitude. he really is bpa when we pick. i think its fair to say we have a good qb in fitz. take the stud pass rusher and build the d...

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by psubills62
                              I have no problem building the defense and the OL. I think that's how you build a team - build the lines, get a couple studs/playmakers at the skill positions, then when you get a chance to draft a franchise QB (whether an NFL-ready one like Bradford or one who needs development, a la Freeman/Flacco), draft him.

Mark Sanchez proves that if you put any ordinary schmuck on a team ready-made for winning, you can win.
                              Everything else being equal on their respected teams, and Fitzy gets the best of Sanchez 9 times out of 10.

Comment

Working...
                              X