PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallet Question Marks

jdbillsfan
01-17-2011, 09:21 AM
This is from walter football. Pretty interesting on Ryan Mallet, especially for those that want him in the first.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_2.php

A couple of months ago, I listed Ryan Mallett in the second round of my 2011 NFL Mock Draft, citing major character conerns I knew about that would eventually surface.

Well, nothing surfaced, so I put Mallett back in the first round, assuming my source was wrong. Lo and behold, NFL.com's Albert Breer wrote last week that "off-field concerns" will hurt Mallett's draft stock. A couple of months late, but better late than never, I guess.

Mallett has major red flags. In addition to these "off-field concerns," he's a moron who may score single digits on his Wonderlic (even if they give him five points for spelling his name correctly). His release is painfully slow (think Byron Leftwich). He has no mobility. And he has the same sense of entitlement as Matt Leinart and Jimmy Clausen.

Having said all that, there will be several teams interested in the second round, including the Bengals and Cardinals. Both teams have a history of ignoring character concerns, and Ken Whisenhunt may see Mallett as just too physically talented to pass up. And I couldn't really blame him at this juncture.

Bill Cody
01-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Pass

Mr. Miyagi
01-17-2011, 09:53 AM
he's a moron who may score single digits on his Wonderlic (even if they give him five points for spelling his name correctly).
:rofl:

I view Mallett as a mix between Bledsoe (big arm, cement feet), Kerry Collins (dumbass confused look), and Cade McNown (look at me I'm such as stud).

No thanks.

Ingtar33
01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
:rofl:

I view Mallett as a mix between Bledsoe (big arm, cement feet), Kerry Collins (dumbass confused look), and Cade McNown (look at me I'm such as stud).

No thanks.

brilliant comparison... he's reminded me of someone for months now. Kerry Collins it is.

kingJofNYC
01-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Wait, he's ****ting on his man-crush Clausen, hahahahaha. My my, how things change.

Someone writes Mallett has character issues and this dope jumps all over it again. Not saying Mallett doesn't have "issues," but when you can't point to specific examples/traits and need someone else to verify for you, you're not doing your job.

Another hack that too many people follow. He should stick to proclaiming his love for all things Clausen.

El Guapo
01-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Sorry to thread jack, but is there a site that lists every player's Wonderlic score?

DraftBoy
01-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Sorry to thread jack, but is there a site that lists every player's Wonderlic score?

No, those are not made official. The only way we know them is if they get leaked.

Ginger Vitis
01-17-2011, 12:28 PM
So Mallett is a moron who will score in the single digits on the Wonderlic.. After months of speculation hinted at off the field red flags but no one giving any specific examples or specific issues finally someone gives one(the moron comment)

better days
01-17-2011, 12:33 PM
So Mallett is a moron who will score in the single digits on the Wonderlic.. After months of speculation hinted at off the field red flags but no one giving any specific examples or specific issues finally someone gives one(the moron comment)

Agreed. We all know Newtons issues off field in detail so why do we not about Mallett? Maybe because there are none, teams have been known to smear players to get them to drop in the draft so they can draft them at their pick.

PromoTheRobot
01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
"I pick things up and put them down!"

PTR

SaviorEdwards
01-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Walter Football huh? wasn't that the crew that said Jimmy Clausen was 'can't miss' :roflmao:

Extremebillsfan247
01-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't see the Bills drafting a QB at 3 this year. Mallet will be around in the 2nd, and the Bills may even decide to wait on the 3rd round in hopes of Ponder slipping who they might like at that point. JMO

Oaf
01-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Plus the whole disagreement and fiasco at Michigan. (and this was BEFORE Rich Rod)

kingJofNYC
01-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Pretty sure Spiller scored a 10 on his wonderlic.

I'd just like some more solid facts about this kid before I start bashing him.

He's certainly not the most articulate young man, and I'm being generous.

k-oneputt
01-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Well Marino didn't light up his wonderlic either and Kelly wasn't the sharpest around off the field.
Both could ball though.

better days
01-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Well Marino didn't light up his wonderlic either and Kelly wasn't the sharpest around off the field.
Both could ball though.

Marino was a player that had his name smeared before the draft, that is the reason he was available for the Fins to draft.

X-Era
01-17-2011, 03:30 PM
:whistle:

Ingtar33
01-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Marino was a player that had his name smeared before the draft, that is the reason he was available for the Fins to draft.

yep. he was accused of juicing with roids and being a moron (he was a moron, but i've never seen anything to convince me he was taking roids)...

that worked out alright for the fins i think

bigdog72ny
01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
fine with me if he slips.would love to get him in the second.darious with #3 and mallett at #34

dannyek71
01-18-2011, 07:52 AM
If he is there in the 2nd, why not take a shot?

Philagape
01-18-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't understand the thinking that a player has too many red flags for a first-rounder but is a great pick in the second round.

A prospect with Mallett's physical gifts is either boom or bust. You either like him as an NFL QB, or you don't.

If you don't, why would you spend a second or even a third-rounder on him? The first three rounds should produce starters. This team needs to hit on every early pick.

better days
01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't understand the thinking that a player has too many red flags for a first-rounder but is a great pick in the second round.

A prospect with Mallett's physical gifts is either boom or bust. You either like him as an NFL QB, or you don't.

If you don't, why would you spend a second or even a third-rounder on him? The first three rounds should produce starters. This team needs to hit on every early pick.

It is called playing the odds. You don't bet the house on black or red, but you might make a smaller wager on it.

Philagape
01-18-2011, 12:50 PM
It is called playing the odds. You don't bet the house on black or red, but you might make a smaller wager on it.

People should have a better read on whether they think a QB will do well in the NFL than on what color a ball lands.

(and for me, a small "wager" is fourth round or later)

When people list the reasons they don't want so-and-so in the first round, the question then becomes, Then why would you want him at all?

better days
01-18-2011, 01:51 PM
People should have a better read on whether they think a QB will do well in the NFL than on what color a ball lands.

(and for me, a small "wager" is fourth round or later)

When people list the reasons they don't want so-and-so in the first round, the question then becomes, Then why would you want him at all?

There is no bigger gamble in this draft than Cam Newton. He could be a great QB, but is just as likely to be a bust. I would risk a 2nd rnd pick on him or even a low 1st rnd pick, but I would not want to gamble the 3rd pick in the draft on him.

Spiderweb
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM

Except he has gone on the be a football pregame analyst, etc., and proved that he's an idiot. Yes, he was gifted with a great arm and ability to play QB, but he's still an idiot.

Night Train
01-18-2011, 04:15 PM
If he is there in the 2nd, why not take a shot?

If he's a 12 pointer, I'd take a shot at him.

Otherwise, I'd pass in favor of the other 6-7 starter needs over a diva clipboard holder.

Mr. Pink
01-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Mallet reminds me of Jeff George.

Immature dopey punk with a big arm.

better days
01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Except he has gone on the be a football pregame analyst, etc., and proved that he's an idiot. Yes, he was gifted with a great arm and ability to play QB, but he's still an idiot.

His intelligence was not what was mentioned when he was smeared.

Bill Cody
01-18-2011, 04:52 PM
This team needs to hit on every early pick.

Right. When has that happened?

Night Train
01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
yep. he was accused of juicing with roids and being a moron (he was a moron, but i've never seen anything to convince me he was taking roids)...

that worked out alright for the fins i think

If juicing with roids is code for rumored coke problem, you've got it nailed...because that was all over the news in 1983.

Bangarang
01-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Bump.

This article just came out where they claim Mallett is a weed and coke head.

NFL Draft Monsters has a policy of not publishing a story without two independant confirmations. We were approached this week, by a source inside the Arkansas program who told us the he has personally witnessed Mallett use both marijuana, and cocaine. This corroborates an account given to us a few months back, that we had been unable to substantiate.

Link: http://nfldraftmonsters.com/news/character-concern-ryan-mallett/

k-oneputt
01-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Yep.

I guess the draftmonsters are ruining the kids rep. Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Looks like a couple of other qb's we all know of.