PDA

View Full Version : Whitner Continues His Way With Words

patmoran2006
01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Despite rarely producing an impact on the football field throughout his five-year tenure in Buffalo, likely soon to be ex-Bills safety Donte Whitner continues to say… and write plenty dramatic things off it.

It’s a poorly kept secret Bills general manager Buddy Nix along with the majority of the team’s fans think Whitner is certifiably insane for publicly stating he wants top-five safety money with his next contract. Therefore, Whitner has seen and heard plenty of chatter wishing him a farewell en route to his next destination—whenever free agency begins.

Whitner’s comments via his Twitter (http://twitter.com/DonteWhitner) Sunday aren’t likely to land him any new supporters on a return to the team.

“mornin’ message to Buffalo Bills fans… Be careful what you wish for!… Good day.” Whitner tweeted.

Clearly he acknowledges other than a miniscule percentage of Bills backers, most have long ago been ready for Whitner to take his talents elsewhere.
Well, maybe he doesn’t quite get it after all.

“A lot of what I do/did kept our ENTIRE secondary together.” Whitner later added.

That’s where the delusional portion of his mindset regularly kicks in. This is a guy who started for five years, played in 69 games and accumulated five interceptions, two sack and three forced fumbles— in FIVE SEASONS!
And don’t counter by questioning how can he make plays when the front seven is atrocious theory. George Wilson has more picks over his last two season (six) than Whitner has in his five-year career, and with far less playing time. Wilson also has more sacks. To make matters worse, Bryan Scott has made more impact plays with less playing time than Wilson let alone Whitner. Scott has six sacks in his three years in Buffalo and had three tackles for losses in 2010.

Don’t even get me started on Jairus Byrd.

Sure Whitner had a lot of tackles, 140 of them to be exact according to the team’s official statistics. Guess how many of those tackles went for losses behind the line of scrimmage? That would be all of one. Plus, receiving tight ends salivated at the opportunity to get to know Whitner better for about three or so hours every Sunday. How much of his tackle total was padded by bringing down pass catchers after they beat him for a reception down the field for a first down?

Some think I’ve had a personal agenda against Whitner, which is utterly false, although he did “block” me from Twitter after seeing and apparently not appreciating my timeline. I’m not paid to like or dislike football players, plus I doubt any of you care about my personal feelings. Simply put, it’s almost unfathomable how Whitner continues to say much when he’s done so little.

To me he’s the equivalent of a cornerback celebrating after a pass breakup— despite the fact it’s the fourth quarter and he’s been torched for 140 yards and two touchdowns.

In 2008 Whitner publicly embarrassed the organization after guaranteeing the Bills would make the playoffs. He backed up his words by accumulating one sack, one forced fumble and zero interceptions in 13 games as the Bills became the first team in NFL history to start the season 4-0 and end dead last in their division. As I remember, the highlight of Whitner’s season came in week three against Oakland, when he tackled Raiders wide receiver Johnnie Lee Higgins about 10 yards in the end zone. It drew a penalty but allegedly “fired” his teammates up.

And you wonder why the media and most fans got a good chuckle from his publicized complaints earlier this season that opposing teams were laughing at them?

Without question though, the biggest mind bender is his belief that he’s worth top safety money as he gets ready to enter free agency. While Nix confessed last year to not being the smartest man in the room, he also showed he’s not the dumbest either when he said without actually saying “not a chance.”

The Bills will be no better… nor worse if they plug Wilson or Scott into Whitner’s starting role once he aborts for good. Perhaps they sign a low key free agent or draft a mid-round rookie to throw into the mix, but the $6-million he expects annually will be (hopefully) spent much better elsewhere.
In true Whitner fashion, he took his gripe public via the media– -the same one he blasts with frequency when he didn’t like the way his contract negotiation was going.

“Things aren’t going the way I want them to go or getting it done,” Whitner told the media in late December. “It might come to me actually hitting the free agent market because we’re far off. We’re far off in dollars. We’re far off in everything. So, that’s what it’s going to be.”

I’ve always given Whitner credit for if nothing else he was always one of the stand-up guys in the locker room; one of the few that wasn’t scared to hold himself or his teammates accountable for loss after frustrating loss. Even that’s out the window now, for his locker room stall was bare to the bone literally down to his nameplate being gone before 9am the morning after the Jets finale for locker room cleanout day.

In the end, that’s all you really needed to know about his chances of returning to Buffalo next season and beyond.

If you think it’s unfair for Whitner to be compared to the game’s elite safeties because of a draft status he couldn’t control, perhaps he should stop talking as if he matters like Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed.

Top five safety money? Really?

Good riddance… and good luck to the fans that deal with his promises and ramblings at the next destination.

THRILLHO
01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
I still think you should have Twittered about it.... :P

Ed
01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Donte is one of the highest drafted safeties ever and because of that he's going to spend the rest of his life believing that he's one of the best safeties ever also regardless of his lack of plays.

ServoBillieves
01-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Marv Levy inflated this boys ego by taking him 8th, that's for sure.

I've stood up and said that he's serviceable. I've stood up and said that he deserves to start for this franchise.

Yet the more I hear him talk, the easier it is to have a seat and keep my hand down.

Whitner - T = Whiner. Crybaby...

Pinkerton Security
01-17-2011, 02:27 PM
ive always been a Whitner supporter but his public whining is really making me wish he was gone already.

justasportsfan
01-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't think Whitner embarrassed the team by guaranteeing a playoff. He doesn't speak for the bills. He tweets for himself .

Mr. Miyagi
01-17-2011, 02:36 PM
I still think you should have Twittered about it.... :P
It would've been just a few characters over the 140 limit though.

How about we summarize it for him?

"Later Donte don't let the door hit you on your way out you no good piece of crap excuse of a football player."

Billz_fan
01-17-2011, 02:42 PM
It will probably do him good to have a change of scenery. Maybe someone will pay him but I doubt it. If someone does pay him I have no problem letting him go, as I said it may just help him.

don137
01-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Whitner is not a bad safety but he is not a great safety either. I really want to like the guy but the issue I have with him is he talks like he produces on the field like Ed Reed. You would think by his comments he was a stud. He talks the talk but does not back it up with great play on the field. That gets annoying to listen to time after time.

better days
01-17-2011, 02:56 PM
It will probably do him good to have a change of scenery. Maybe someone will pay him but I doubt it. If someone does pay him I have no problem letting him go, as I said it may just help him.

I would love to see some team foolishly give Whitner big money because that would get the Bills a comp pick in the draft.

Extremebillsfan247
01-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Here's what I think is a good question, why do we even care what Whitner says in twitter? just wondering.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Here's what I think is a good question, why do we even care what Whitner says in twitter? just wondering.

because it's a public forum and he is communicating his displeasure with his situation with the bills publicly..
that's why we care

Oaf
01-17-2011, 03:36 PM
“A lot of what I do/did kept our ENTIRE secondary together.” Whitner later added.

That’s where the delusional portion of his mindset regularly kicks in. This is a guy who started for five years, played in 69 games and accumulated five interceptions, two sack and three forced fumbles— in FIVE SEASONS!
And don’t counter by questioning....

This is where the delusional portion of fan-writer mindsets regularly kick in. You're operating on a big assumption here. Who are you to say that "keeping a group of safeties and corners "together"" is solely leveraged through defensive fantasy football points for your money league?

If Whitner believes his best asset is serving a leadership role for the secondary, it'll be the testimony from the secondary/coaches that matter in his resigning, not stats.

Extremebillsfan247
01-17-2011, 03:52 PM
because it's a public forum and he is communicating his displeasure with his situation with the bills publicly..
that's why we care What he does on the field matters to me, what he does off it doesn't. I was a Bills fan long before he was drafted here, and will be long after he is gone. If your so concerned about something he says on twitter, maybe you just care more about the individual than the team as a whole. It's your right of course, so what ever floats your boat. I just don't understand the fascination.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-17-2011, 04:05 PM
What he does on the field matters to me, what he does off it doesn't. I was a Bills fan long before he was drafted here, and will be long after he is gone. If your so concerned about something he says on twitter, maybe you just care more about the individual than the team as a whole. It's your right of course, so what ever floats your boat. I just don't understand the fascination.

i have no fascination with donte whitner himself. what he says on twitter will affect his future with bills, therefore affect the future of the Bills. Get it?

Extremebillsfan247
01-17-2011, 04:19 PM
i have no fascination with donte whitner himself. what he says on twitter will affect his future with bills, therefore affect the future of the Bills. Get it? Since when do Bills fans become the models of character, and then can start policing our players because of what they say on twitter? It's just plain arrogance in my opinion that some fans will come in here and try to justify such actions. What ever happens between Whitner and the Bills is between Whitner and the Bills, and would happen with or with out twitter.

patmoran2006
01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Someone sent me a Twitter message about him today, I had to share this one.

"I almost bought a Donte Whitner game-worn jersey, but it looks identical to the ones off the rack." (Ouch)

dannyek71
01-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Although, I will say if Kelsay got 8mill/season, perhaps Whitner is worth it?

patmoran2006
01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
This is where the delusional portion of fan-writer mindsets regularly kick in. You're operating on a big assumption here. Who are you to say that "keeping a group of safeties and corners "together"" is solely leveraged through defensive fantasy football points for your money league?

If Whitner believes his best asset is serving a leadership role for the secondary, it'll be the testimony from the secondary/coaches that matter in his resigning, not stats.

Safeties who are making the $6-million plus per year better bring a lot more than leadership roles to a team, besides, how much of a real leader could a guy be when the team hasn't had a winnning season since his arrival??

The kind of money he wants is reserved for safeties that MAKE PLAYS, not talk about them before and after the game.

BertSquirtgum
01-17-2011, 09:45 PM
whitner sucks

Electrici
01-17-2011, 11:11 PM
I enjoyed the post, thanks.

Edit: Corrected poor grammar.

Spiderweb
01-18-2011, 12:18 AM
What he does on the field matters to me, what he does off it doesn't. I was a Bills fan long before he was drafted here, and will be long after he is gone. If your so concerned about something he says on twitter, maybe you just care more about the individual than the team as a whole. It's your right of course, so what ever floats your boat. I just don't understand the fascination.

The whole Twitter thing smacks me of childish LAMP's. A facinating tool, in the right hands, but I've yet to see a Football player manage to use it for anything more than blowing themselves.

Now, I could care less how childish he wishes to be, or what he "tweets" on Twitter. It's his belief that he's an elite Safety and that he has no plays to back up his gibberish. Serviceable and worth resigning but if someone wishes to give him elite $$$, then we may finally get something from him, a comp pick. I HOPE someone sumps elite money on him, I really do, as long as it's not the Bills.

Thief
01-18-2011, 06:01 AM
I think Pat is infatuated.

TacklingDummy
01-18-2011, 07:05 AM
I think Pat is infatuated.

Early in the morning Donte tweets
I can't read and I can't see.
I feel drunk all day can't concentrate
maybe I'm making a big mistake.
Cut me down like a killer QB

It's like a Tight-end running right through the zone.
Jekyll and hyde the way I play
feel like I'm running to jump on the pile.
O no
not again
Pat don't like me I don't understand - infatuation.
Infatuation - infatuation - infatuation.
Heart beats heavy like a elite saftey

losing all equilibrium.
Gets so hard jumping on the pack
maybe this fan just all I need.
O no
not again
Pat don't like me I don't understand - infatuation. . . .
Football soars when I'm 3 yards away
Brady put a little fear in this heart of mine.
Maybe I'm bad
maybe I'm great
maybe I don't care what Pat has to say.
O no
not again
Pat don't like me I understand - infatuation.
Infatuation - infatuation - infatuation - . . .
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/Rod_Stewart_-_Camouflage.jpg

trapezeus
01-18-2011, 10:30 AM
i think it would be hilarious if someone signed him, we got a low end compensation pick and that pick turned out to be better than whitner. That would truly make me happy.

Thief
01-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Early in the morning Donte tweets
I can't read and I can't see.
I feel drunk all day can't concentrate
maybe I'm making a big mistake.
Cut me down like a killer QB

It's like a Tight-end running right through the zone.
Jekyll and hyde the way I play
feel like I'm running to jump on the pile.
O no
not again
Pat don't like me I don't understand - infatuation.
Infatuation - infatuation - infatuation.
Heart beats heavy like a elite saftey

losing all equilibrium.
Gets so hard jumping on the pack
maybe this fan just all I need.
O no
not again
Pat don't like me I don't understand - infatuation. . . .
Football soars when I'm 3 yards away
Brady put a little fear in this heart of mine.
Maybe I'm bad
maybe I'm great
maybe I don't care what Pat has to say.
O no
not again
Pat don't like me I understand - infatuation.
Infatuation - infatuation - infatuation - . . .
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/Rod_Stewart_-_Camouflage.jpgThat was beautiful.

Night Train
01-18-2011, 06:10 PM
He's had a chip on his shoulder after reading 10,000 times that Ngata should have been selected by Buffalo instead of him.

His tweets are strictly a parting shot and admitting the fans were right.

TacklingDummy
01-18-2011, 06:33 PM
He's had a chip on his shoulder after reading 10,000 times that Ngata should have been selected by Buffalo instead of him.

His tweets are strictly a parting shot and admitting the fans were right.
Or Cutler.

SABURZFAN
01-18-2011, 06:39 PM
i want him gone. why should i be careful to wish for that?