PDA

View Full Version : What position would Dareus or Fairley play?

THATHURMANATOR
01-19-2011, 01:19 PM
I assume 3/4 D end?

Does this mean they replace Edwards, Stroud and Carrington?

I surely wouldn't want them to start over Kyle Williams.

Just want to be sure here. People are talking about them filling in a huge hole and I want to be sure to clarify what people are meaning.

Bangarang
01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Stroud is a corpse. I think he's done.

Edwards/Williams/Dareus to start

Carrington, Troup, Keard? subbing in and out

That's a nice platooning defensive line with some potential. I see a lot of versatility with guys like Williams and Dareus being able to play pretty much any position on the line.

psubills62
01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Yes, 3-4 DE, although there's some questions as to if Fairley is an appropriate fit for the position or not.

3-4 defenses use a lot of different looks for their DL, and even your 3rd DE is important. If we drafted Dareus or Fairley, I could easily see them starting and Carrington/Edwards rotating in. Stroud probably won't be on the team come September.

Night Train
01-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Dareus could play DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4. He could even line up as a DE in a 4-3 if needed.

Versatility is what makes him so attractive.

Bangarang
01-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't think you'd be utilizing Fairley's skill set as a DE in a 3-4 tbh.

THATHURMANATOR
01-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Just making sure.

Dr. Lecter
01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
I am not all that sold on Edwards.

Dareus can start over him.

Bangarang
01-19-2011, 01:39 PM

Do you see a line Carrington/Edwards/Dareus to start the season?

YardRat
01-19-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't think either Fairley or Dareus would be out of place at 34 DE, and both could slide inside for 4-man sets.

tampabay25690
01-19-2011, 05:36 PM
I assume 3/4 D end?

Does this mean they replace Edwards, Stroud and Carrington?

I surely wouldn't want them to start over Kyle Williams.

Just want to be sure here. People are talking about them filling in a huge hole and I want to be sure to clarify what people are meaning.

Can play DE or DT...
Depends.
Dareus is most versatile of any of the DL guys in the draft.
You could see a front with him at the DE in a 4-3 as well.....

tampabay25690
01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

What Edwards is a solid DE guy.....

NOT THE DUDE...
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
dareus/williams/edwards
carrington/troup/ fa tony mcdaniel or spencer johnson

Thief
01-19-2011, 05:58 PM
So, just out of curisoity, y'all want to draft a 3-4 DE at #3 overall when it is debateable if one is needed?

Bangarang
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
So, just out of curisoity, y'all want to draft a 3-4 DE at #3 overall when it is debateable if one is needed?

Debatable? Worst in the league at stopping the run. Terrible at pressuring the QB. How is it debatable?

better days
01-19-2011, 06:02 PM

Debateable? did you watch the games this year? What debate? The Bills need DL help period. They could not stop the run or get to the QB either.

better days
01-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Debatable? Worst in the league at stopping the run. Terrible at pressuring the QB. How is it debatable?

You beat me to it.

Thief
01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Debatable? Worst in the league at stopping the run. Terrible at pressuring the QB. How is it debatable?Well, it IS currently being debated. I am just calling it like I see it.

:spade:

psubills62
01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Well, it IS currently being debated. I am just calling it like I see it.

Who's saying we don't need a DE?

Danny Duberstein
01-19-2011, 07:30 PM
He'd be a DE in the 3-4. Our base formation would probably look like:

Dwan/Kyle/Dareus, with Troup and Carrington rotating in.

We'd also probably run a 4-3 at times, so he could play DT in th e 4-3

Don't Panic
01-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Dareus would be ideal for a team in transition, as he could stay on the field no matter what scheme we are in. He is the best fit for the Bills of any of the top 5 prospects. Not the best player on the board, but the best fit for what the Bills are trying to do.

ServoBillieves
01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
3/4 DE for Dareus... I think irregardless of scheme Fairley lines up in the 3-technique.

Dareus seems more versatile. One of those Gholsten minus the bust factor type players. Fairley seems more suited for the inside... but with his weight, I'm not sure.

TigerJ
01-19-2011, 09:10 PM
I agree with the assessment that Stroud is pretty much done. My opinion is that both Fairley and Dareus can probably handle 3-4 DE just fine. I think both can probably handle 4-3 DT and DE, though probably they would be better suited for 3 technique than 1 technique. Dareus could probably step in and play the nose in a 3-4 but I wouldn't think it would be his strongest position. Buffalo had a problem this year with setting the edge. Part of that was the less than stellar play of the defensive ends whether playing the 3-4 or the 4-3. Buffalo was also poor at pressuring the QB. There was less a DE issue in the 3-4 and more linebacking, but Buffalo didn't get pressure when they played 4-3 either, and that was the DEs.

The bottom line is the Bills have to get better on the defensive line and at linebacker. If Kyle Williams wasn't the problem on the d-line then by process of elimination the ends were. I suspect Edwards (the DC) will want to platoon guys if he has enough effective DEs. Dareus/Fairley (and I'll add Bowers as a possibility too) will alternate with Carrington or Dwan Edwards. Then on the other side, it will be Spencer Johnson and Carrington or Edwards rotating in.

better days
01-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Well, it IS currently being debated. I am just calling it like I see it.

The debate is which DL player would be the best fit for Buffalo, not if the Bills need DL help.

Bert102176
01-20-2011, 01:01 AM
would be idiotic to move Williams after the year he had, Stroud is aging and not a DE in my opinon he should be replaced, as for Edwards we need to upgrade there too IMO

Thief
01-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Who's saying we don't need a DE?So... in this thread people aren't calling Edwards a DE starter and Carrington a DE starter? Does anyone believe we need a 3-4 NT and Williams would excell at DE?
The debate is which DL player would be the best fit for Buffalo, not if the Bills need DL help.I guess a 2 gap nose tackle wouldn't help more. My bad.

And, I guess our OLBs and MLBs were all standouts?

Personally I think the biggest problem was we had to use our LBs in coverage, rarely blitzing because we figured we were going to be able to pressure the QB effectively. The LBs were read and react LBs, rather than the "come down hill" and plug a hole LBers. That was our scheme because our OLBs couldn't generate pressure.

A pass rushing OLB and a block sucking NT are significantly bigger needs, IMO. And, trying Williams at DE would help the Carrington Edwards combo.

There, it was debated.

better days
01-20-2011, 08:21 AM
So... in this thread people aren't calling Edwards a DE starter and Carrington a DE starter? Does anyone believe we need a 3-4 NT and Williams would excell at DE? I guess a 2 gap nose tackle wouldn't help more. My bad.

Personally I think the biggest problem was we had to use our LBs in coverage, rarely blitzing because we figured we were going to be able to pressure the QB effectively. The LBs were read and react LBs, rather than the "come down hill" and plug a hole LBers. That was our scheme because our OLBs couldn't generate pressure.

A pass rushing OLB and a block sucking NT are significantly bigger needs, IMO. And, trying Williams at DE would help the Carrington Edwards combo.

There, it was debated.

Agreed the Bills could use LB's. Hopefully Merriman has something left & Moats plays well. They just drafted Troup last year however & hopefully he has an impact this year.

I agree about Williams, I think he would be more effective at end than Stroud has been, if Troup can man the nose or the Bills draft another NT.

psubills62
01-20-2011, 08:43 AM
So... in this thread people aren't calling Edwards a DE starter and Carrington a DE starter? Does anyone believe we need a 3-4 NT and Williams would excell at DE? I guess a 2 gap nose tackle wouldn't help more. My bad.

There, it was debated.

Didn't Baltimore have a starter at LT when they drafted Michael Oher? Didn't they have starters at NT when they drafted Terrence Cody?

Is Edwards a starter? Yes, but at this point I'd say he's not irreplaceable. Every spot could use an upgrade. Carrington is in line for a starting job, but we still need 1-2 more talented guys on the DL.

Thief
01-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Didn't Baltimore have a starter at LT when they drafted Michael Oher? Didn't they have starters at NT when they drafted Terrence Cody?

Is Edwards a starter? Yes, but at this point I'd say he's not irreplaceable. Every spot could use an upgrade. Carrington is in line for a starting job, but we still need 1-2 more talented guys on the DL.Then I am not sure why I feel like we are arguing. :cheers:

Basically you guys missed the biggest part of my initial post. The 3-4 DE part. How many 3-4 DE have been drafted in the top 3 in the history of football? 1? Are one of these guys a Bruce Smith?

I seriously do not know for sure, but I think there has been only one guy drafted top ten to play a 3-4 DE in the past 25 years. Also, the kind of money you spend at #3 is usually reserved for QBs, CBs, and pass rushing 4-3 DEs with the occasional WR sprinkled in.

We signed Merriman, so that indicates to me they plan to go 3-4.