X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crisis
    • Aug 2004

question for the old AFL guys

ok, my friend (packers fan) is arguing with me that the reason the NFL is called the NFL is because they beat the chiefs in SBI.

i called him out on it, because i know the AFL actually was around for a few years after super bowl I, and i really doubt they would use one game as a basis for the league name after the merger.. if i had to guess i'd say they kept the NFL name around because it was a) superior in talent at the time, and b) around longer/more profitable.

basically i'm just wondering why after the NFL/AFL merger, the NFL name was continued to be used and the AFL wasn't (other than turning into the AFC)...i can't find it online anywhere
    Originally posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Originally posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Originally posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.
  • BlackMetalNinja
    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
    • May 2005

Re: question for the old AFL guys

Originally posted by Crisis
    ok, my friend (packers fan) is arguing with me that the reason the NFL is called the NFL is because they beat the chiefs in SBI.

i called him out on it, because i know the AFL actually was around for a few years after super bowl I, and i really doubt they would use one game as a basis for the league name after the merger.. if i had to guess i'd say they kept the NFL name around because it was a) superior in talent at the time, and b) around longer/more profitable.

basically i'm just wondering why after the NFL/AFL merger, the NFL name was continued to be used and the AFL wasn't (other than turning into the AFC)...i can't find it online anywhere
    I certainly am not old enough to really know, but in all the Super Bowl documentaries and such I've watched, I've never once heard that the league name was on the line. I think your assumption is the correct one.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

The term NFL was around longer and was established. There was no reason to really change it. The "title" was never on the line. In fact, the first two Super Bowls weren't even called that, if my history is correct.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Prov401
        President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
        • Aug 2008

My guess would be that the NFL was a much bigger and recognizable name, with many more teams.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          The term NFL was around longer and was established. There was no reason to really change it. The "title" was never on the line. In fact, the first two Super Bowls weren't even called that, if my history is correct.
          Correct. It was called the AFL-NFL World Championship Game.

Props to my dad on that one... I'm too young to know that personally :-P
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Turf
            • Jul 2002

The AFL was "allowed" to join the NFL and get the prestige and money. Its that simple. They earned it when the Jets won.
            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
              !?!?!?!?!?
              • Mar 2006

The Super Bowl was named after a super ball that I believe Lamar Hunt's son was playing with. If I recall that correctly from Super Bowl documentaries...I always use that as a trivia question with friends. Technically the Jets won the first "Super Bowl" in name only.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
                The Super Bowl was named after a super ball that I believe Lamar Hunt's son was playing with. If I recall that correctly from Super Bowl documentaries...I always use that as a trivia question with friends. Technically the Jets won the first "Super Bowl" in name only.
                You are correct about the naming of the Super Bowl. The Jets were the 1st AFL team to win the Championship between the two leagues, bringing legitimacy to the AFL, but it had nothing to do with the merger.

As part of the merger agreement, agreed to years before, the two leagues were to merge into one & be called the NFL with 2 divisions the AFC & NFC.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Turf
                  The AFL was "allowed" to join the NFL and get the prestige and money. Its that simple. They earned it when the Jets won.
                  Well the AFL/NFL merger was agreed to years before the Jets played the BALTIMORE Colts. The reason for the merger was the AFL was paying big money to high draft picks, With Joe Namath being the highest paid player ever by either league. The AFL also started signing NFL stars when their contracts expired. Because the NFL did not want to get into a bidding war with the AFL, they agreed to the merger. The Jets win did however bring legitimacy to the AFL. Prior to that the AFL was looked down on as a minor league but much of what the NFL is today is owed to the AFL, from the wide open passing game it is today to the 2 point conversion the Pats* converted against the Jets last Sunday.
                  Last edited by better days; 01-19-2011, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                    • Sep 2003

The AFL was second class as far as the NFL was concerned back then, even though they were merging. They weren't going to gamble on the name of the league. I lived through that. Never happened.

PTR
                    10 Commandments of the D
                    1. Never stop Rocking.
                    2. Legalize all drugs.
                    3. Quit your day job.
                    4. All Religion should be taxed.
                    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                    6. F**k her gently.
                    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• Crisis
                      • Aug 2004

yeah i figured he was full of **** but i couldn't back it up anywhere online

thanks guys
                      Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                      Vanek is Austrian not European
                      Originally posted by Prov401
                      Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                      Originally posted by better days
                      I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I'm thinking the AFL was considered a more formidable 'opponent' by the NFL old guard than some are giving them credit for.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                          Will not tolerate vandalism.
                          • Apr 2006

Simply put... the AFL had 10 teams (in places like Buffalo and Cincinnati) and had been around 10 years.

The NFL had 16 teams (including #2 LA and #3 Chicago all to themselves) and had been around 50 years.

The bigger, older league got seniority on the name.

(Ironically, about 20 years prior, when the NFL took in the Browns, Colts and 49ers from the AAFC, the league almost did change its name to the National-American Football League-- but they changed it back before playing any names under that moniker. Then again, that was in a time when the NFL was still not very prominent and the AAFC ended up beating the NFL in attendance.)

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Merger talks between the two leagues started as early as 1965. A big part of it was competition for players was hurting both leagues, but also in 1965 the AFL landed a big contract from NBC to televise games. That was a big factor in making them a legitimate competitor and accelerated the NFL's desire to merge.

The NFL actually approached the AFL about a contract, not the other way around, and the merger was agreed upon in 1966. The first combined draft between the two leagues was in 1967, and they would play separate schedules the following two years and meet in a championship game. After that the leagues would truly be merged.

Thus, your friend is full of ****. The agreement was negotiated from 1965 to 1966, and was phased in from 1967 to 1969. Part of the agreement was that the AFL teams would keep their history and logos as part of the NFL, but the AFL name and logo would be defunct. Given this was all negotiated and agreed to before the Packers and Chiefs met in Super Bowl I, the game had no impact on the name of the league.

As to online sources, look here: LINK

The intense rivalry led to serious merger talks between the two leagues. By June 8, 1966, they announced a merger agreement. Under the agreement:

The two leagues would combine to form an expanded league with 24 teams, which would be increased to 26 teams by 1969, and to 28 teams by 1970 or soon thereafter.

All existing teams would be retained, and none of them would be moved outside of their metropolitan areas.

AFL "indemnities" would be paid to NFL teams which shared markets with AFL teams. Specifically, the New York Giants would receive payments from the New York Jets, and the San Francisco 49ers would get money from the Oakland Raiders.

Both leagues would now hold a "common draft" of college players, effectively ending the bidding war between the 2 leagues over the top college prospects.

While maintaining separate schedules through 1969, the leagues agreed to play an annual AFL-NFL World Championship Game, matching the championship teams of each league, beginning in January 1967. (This game would later be rechristened the Super Bowl.)

The two leagues would officially merge in 1970 to form one league with two conferences. The merged league would be known as the National Football League.
                            The history and records of the AFL would be incorporated into the older league, but its name and logo would be retired.
                            Last edited by Ickybaluky; 01-20-2011, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• tomz
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                              Simply put... the AFL had 10 teams (in places like Buffalo and Cincinnati) and had been around 10 years.

The NFL had 16 teams (including #2 LA and #3 Chicago all to themselves) and had been around 50 years.

The bigger, older league got seniority on the name.

(Ironically, about 20 years prior, when the NFL took in the Browns, Colts and 49ers from the AAFC, the league almost did change its name to the National-American Football League-- but they changed it back before playing any names under that moniker. Then again, that was in a time when the NFL was still not very prominent and the AAFC ended up beating the NFL in attendance.)
                              One point to correct: Cincinnati came into the league after the merger process began, I am pretty sure. Miami came in then too (1966, I think).

Comment

Working...
                              X