PDA

View Full Version : Marcell Dareus Highlights and Discussion

Mahdi
01-20-2011, 09:05 AM
A great selection of highlight videos I found for Marcell Dareus in the Bama-Spartan Bowl game.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/1/17/1937512/the-prospect-playbook-marcell-dareus-dt-de-alabama

Although Dareus is clearly a top talent I still don't think he will be our pick at 3.

Here is my reasoning....

1. We have already invested in the DL. We have KW who is solid, We drafted Troup in the second and Carrington in the third. We also signed Dawan Edwards who had a very good year before getting hurt. Spencer Johnson is also coming along in the new scheme.

2. I don't think Dareus is in the 3 best players in college football category. Many fans here, I believe, want Dareus simply because they saw us getting gashed on the ground week after week. IMO, drafting Dareus solely for that purpose and paying him 50 mil is a knee-jerk reaction. We need to draft a player who is considered FAR AND AWAY the best at his position, without question.

For me, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson and Bowers represent the players who are the three best football players available regardless of position. Then when you factor in position, Green is without question the best WR, Patrick Peterson is probably the best CB to come out since Charles Woodson and Bowers is the best pure pass rusher available out of all DL players. Dareus is neither the best pass rusher nor the best run defender at his position, they would be Fairley and Clayborn respectively. How can you justify taking a player at 3 who is not the best at anything?

3. The NYJ have a great pass rush and run D for 2 reasons. 1 is the talent they have at ILB and second is their CBs.

The Jets DL is good but I think ours can be as good, what we are missing to help in the run game is ILBs who are tough against the run. Poz is not that guy and neither was Ayodele. Getting run stuffers behind our DL will go a long way to fixing our run D.

Now the other factor is lockdown CBs. Revis and Cro allow the Jets to crowd the LoS without worrying about the back end. That allows them to throw more guys in blitzes than you can block. They really don't have 1 guy who is considered a great pass rusher. Their pass rush is multiple and it is such because they have the CBs to do it.

That brings me to Patrick Peterson. This guy is the ultimate football player as Woodson was. Incredible athlete, incredible size (6'1 222) and has amazing speed and body control to go with it. This is not the kind of player you find everyday.

He and McKelvin on the other side would allow us to do a lot of exotic things with blitzes and coverages.

Think about it, our DL is improving, we add some ILBs, Merriman gets back to normal, Moats is a year better and Batten joins the mix. Peterson on the back end with Byrd and Mckelvin allows that front 7 to be very aggressive, both against the run and the pass.

That's my take.

psubills62
01-20-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm fine with Peterson or Dareus. I have a feeling Bowers is going to be out of the question at #3, mainly due to only having one year of real production. There will be enough guys left (out of at least Green, Peterson and Dareus) that they can avoid a one-year wonder.

I have a feeling they'll take Peterson, and I'm personally fine with it.

k-oneputt
01-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Respect you opinion but disagree on Dareus.
I think he is a top-10 overall talent. Definte top-3 d-linemen.
The thing I've noticed about this kid the last two years is he seems to play his best in the big games.
Heis young but has produced for a couple of seasons already.
would be the best fit for what it looks like the Bills will do on defense.

For me the #3 pick is Dareus, Bowers, Fairley, Gabbert, or a trade down for Mallett or Locker and get extra picks.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I want a d linemen or qb, that's it but if we take Peterson then fine, at least it helps us beat New England and improves the defense. Green would make me lose my mind.

k-oneputt
01-20-2011, 09:28 AM
I want a d linemen or qb, that's it but if we take Peterson then fine, at least it helps us beat New England and improves the defense. Green would make me lose my mind.

I could live with Peterson. If it's Green I will have some tixs for you I won't be using.

Ed
01-20-2011, 09:45 AM
I like Dareus a lot, but I completely agree with your first point that the Bills have a lot invested in the DL. I really don't think our DL is a big weakness despite our inability at times this past season to stop the run and get pressure. I put that mostly on our LB's. I also have a feeling the Bills don't see the DL as a weakness either and really like Troup and Carrington. I think Dareus is the pick only if Buddy and Co. truly believe he's the BPA at #3.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Peterson is the pick, assuming he doesn't get picked by Denver.

tcb5033
01-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Our #3 pick is the highest we've had since we got Bruce Smith with the #1 overall pick. I think we have to use it to take the best available player, whether it be peterson or dareus (we better not take Green - WR is our deepest position). I think trading the pick is an interesting move because the talent goes deeper in this draft, but it also leaves us more susceptible to another first round bust, which is something I won't be able to handle emotionally haha

justasportsfan
01-20-2011, 10:27 AM
We havent invested enough on the DL. The proof is on the field on gameday. IMO, the only way we skip on drafting Dareus is if Nix decides to address stopping the run via FA.

tcb5033
01-20-2011, 10:57 AM
We havent invested enough on the DL. The proof is on the field on gameday. IMO, the only way we skip on drafting Dareus is if Nix decides to address stopping the run via FA.

That would be nice, but didn't Nix say he is committed to fixing issues through the draft?

WeAreArthurMoates
01-20-2011, 11:08 AM
I could live with Peterson. If it's Green I will have some tixs for you I won't be using.

Why would I want them, I stated that I would not like the Green pick.

DraftBoy
01-20-2011, 11:10 AM
A great selection of highlight videos I found for Marcell Dareus in the Bama-Spartan Bowl game.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/1/17/1937512/the-prospect-playbook-marcell-dareus-dt-de-alabama

Although Dareus is clearly a top talent I still don't think he will be our pick at 3.

Here is my reasoning....

1. We have already invested in the DL. We have KW who is solid, We drafted Troup in the second and Carrington in the third. We also signed Dawan Edwards who had a very good year before getting hurt. Spencer Johnson is also coming along in the new scheme.

2. I don't think Dareus is in the 3 best players in college football category. Many fans here, I believe, want Dareus simply because they saw us getting gashed on the ground week after week. IMO, drafting Dareus solely for that purpose and paying him 50 mil is a knee-jerk reaction. We need to draft a player who is considered FAR AND AWAY the best at his position, without question.

For me, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson and Bowers represent the players who are the three best football players available regardless of position. Then when you factor in position, Green is without question the best WR, Patrick Peterson is probably the best CB to come out since Charles Woodson and Bowers is the best pure pass rusher available out of all DL players. Dareus is neither the best pass rusher nor the best run defender at his position, they would be Fairley and Clayborn respectively. How can you justify taking a player at 3 who is not the best at anything?

3. The NYJ have a great pass rush and run D for 2 reasons. 1 is the talent they have at ILB and second is their CBs.

The Jets DL is good but I think ours can be as good, what we are missing to help in the run game is ILBs who are tough against the run. Poz is not that guy and neither was Ayodele. Getting run stuffers behind our DL will go a long way to fixing our run D.

Now the other factor is lockdown CBs. Revis and Cro allow the Jets to crowd the LoS without worrying about the back end. That allows them to throw more guys in blitzes than you can block. They really don't have 1 guy who is considered a great pass rusher. Their pass rush is multiple and it is such because they have the CBs to do it.

That brings me to Patrick Peterson. This guy is the ultimate football player as Woodson was. Incredible athlete, incredible size (6'1 222) and has amazing speed and body control to go with it. This is not the kind of player you find everyday.

He and McKelvin on the other side would allow us to do a lot of exotic things with blitzes and coverages.

Think about it, our DL is improving, we add some ILBs, Merriman gets back to normal, Moats is a year better and Batten joins the mix. Peterson on the back end with Byrd and Mckelvin allows that front 7 to be very aggressive, both against the run and the pass.

That's my take.

Good post and I agree with many of your points included the bolded, but being the best in CFB has little to do with how good you may be in the NFL. Dareus versatility, power, and potential are unmatched among the top DL in this draft as you project forward.

Ed
01-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I think Nix will address the run by getting better LB's. There's no question that they were our weakest unit on D and are a critical component of the 3-4. Also, if Nix was willing to invest 2nd and 3rd round picks in Troup and Carrington, he's gotta believe that they are going to develop and grow into very solid players.

Nighthawk
01-20-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm fine with Peterson or Dareus. I have a feeling Bowers is going to be out of the question at #3, mainly due to only having one year of real production. There will be enough guys left (out of at least Green, Peterson and Dareus) that they can avoid a one-year wonder.

I have a feeling they'll take Peterson, and I'm personally fine with it.

Why? This does nothing to address a major weakness...which is stopping the run or franchise QB. If they take a CB, mark it down...this team will continue to be bad for at least another 5 years. At some point, you need to start addressing deficiences in your team.

psubills62
01-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Why? This does nothing to address a major weakness...which is stopping the run or franchise QB. If they take a CB, mark it down...this team will continue to be bad for at least another 5 years. At some point, you need to start addressing deficiences in your team.

Try not to be overly dramatic about ONE draft pick. It's not like the first round is the only round to get players.

Despite what you seem to think, CB IS a deficiency on this team. Jauron chose a lot of CB's, but apparently not very good ones. People can talk all they want about how our pass rush will solve the problem - that's not always true. I've seen plenty of cases where the QB throws the ball within 2 seconds and completes it.

I'm definitely someone who desperately wants to fix the OL, DL, and LB positions. That being said, when the talent is there, you take it. A lot of top-flight DE's have come from the later rounds, and a lot of top OT's have been found outside of the first round.

Nighthawk
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Try not to be overly dramatic about ONE draft pick. It's not like the first round is the only round to get players.

Despite what you seem to think, CB IS a deficiency on this team. Jauron chose a lot of CB's, but apparently not very good ones. People can talk all they want about how our pass rush will solve the problem - that's not always true. I've seen plenty of cases where the QB throws the ball within 2 seconds and completes it.

I'm definitely someone who desperately wants to fix the OL, DL, and LB positions. That being said, when the talent is there, you take it. A lot of top-flight DE's have come from the later rounds, and a lot of top OT's have been found outside of the first round.

Umm...what is the major reason why this franchise is where it is (besides Wilson?)??? Oh yeah, because of their stupid 1st round draft picks...it's not being over dramatic...it's a fact.

Nighthawk
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM

CB is NOT the reason the defense is porous...not even close. When something is broken, do you try to fix the problem or just upgrade another part and hope the entire package gets better? Well, of course you fix the problem(s). Your theory and many others on here, about taking BPA, will not help this team get better...it's a nice theory, but that's all it is. The only way to get better is to get better players at positions that are HUGE problems...it's really that simple. The difference between a guy at a need position at #3 and the rankings difference between possibly the best player in this draft is minimal at best, so the BPA theory doesn't carry much water. JMO

psubills62
01-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Umm...what is the major reason why this franchise is where it is (besides Wilson?)??? Oh yeah, because of their stupid 1st round draft picks...it's not being over dramatic...it's a fact.

I agree with you. But the reason their draft picks were stupid is not because they drafted the wrong position, it's because they drafted the wrong player. You don't rule out certain positions just because you think others are more pressing. That's actually one reason they've got to this point.

ddaryl
01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Here is my reasoning....

well in this regard all I can say is. "This game is won and lost in the trenches". You never stop trying to get better at any position, but no matter what they invested in recently it obviously wasn't enough, and we can definitely get better.

justasportsfan
01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I think Nix will address the run by getting better LB's. There's no question that they were our weakest unit on D and are a critical component of the 3-4. Also, if Nix was willing to invest 2nd and 3rd round picks in Troup and Carrington, he's gotta believe that they are going to develop and grow into very solid players.

I agree that our lb'ing position was a problem. It doesn't seem like there's a lb'er in the draft that looks to be a Patrick Willis or is there one in FAcy? We already signed Merriman and there's still that one that went on IR (forget his name)

I'm not sure if there is one in the draft that can come in and upgrade the position right away but Dareus would be an upgrade even over Troup.

It's hard though. Nix has said he may not draft based on need but someone that can be a force for years to come. A lot of them fit the description. Green, Dareus, Peterson or maybe even a qb if they think either Gabbert or Newton .

I'm just trying to go with what we all know is the biggest problem with this team and it's stopping the run. Even they have made a big deal about it so who knows? :idunno:

psubills62
01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
CB is NOT the reason the defense is porous...not even close. When something is broken, do you try to fix the problem or just upgrade another part and hope the entire package gets better? Well, of course you fix the problem(s). Your theory and many others on here, about taking BPA, will not help this team get better...it's a nice theory, but that's all it is. The only way to get better is to get better players at positions that are HUGE problems...it's really that simple. The difference between a guy at a need position at #3 and the rankings difference between possibly the best player in this draft is minimal at best, so the BPA theory doesn't carry much water. JMO

Like I said before...the first round is not the only round in the draft. And yes, the BPA theory carries plenty of water.

EDS
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
If I trusted Buddy Nix to draft well I might be o.k. with taking a CB, but I don't so I think with defensive line being a weak spot, and several top defensive lineman expected to go in the top 5 of the draft, picking one of them makes the most sense.

If there was a stud linebacker or QB available I would definitely prioritize those players, but at this point I don't see a QB or LB as value at #3 overall.

Beebe's Kid
01-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Like I said before...the first round is not the only round in the draft. And yes, the BPA theory carries plenty of water.You're not getting it... you need to say the Bills have to draft a QB in the first. Nothing else will do. If you argue with enough people on the message board about it, it is bound to happen.

Tatonka
01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
i hear all this talk about peterson.. but i thought he looked very very average in his bowl game.. a game that, at least in my mind, he really needed to shine.. he got beat for a td and really didnt stand out at all. if college players not in the nfl are doing that to him....

DraftBoy
01-21-2011, 07:39 AM
i hear all this talk about peterson.. but i thought he looked very very average in his bowl game.. a game that, at least in my mind, he really needed to shine.. he got beat for a td and really didnt stand out at all. if college players not in the nfl are doing that to him....

Two things to keep in mind;
1. The man who beat him like a rented mule was Jeff Fuller who is one of the top WR's for next season in all of college. You'll hear his name again...alot.

2. Peterson is not at his best when playing off coverage. He needs to be at the line, he is a physical breed who is best when he can jam for five yards and then turn and run. There may not be a WR in the NFL that can outrun Peterson at this point, but he is not great at transitioning from backpedal to sprint coming off the cushion.

Mahdi
01-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Two things to keep in mind;
1. The man who beat him like a rented mule was Jeff Fuller who is one of the top WR's for next season in all of college. You'll hear his name again...alot.

2. Peterson is not at his best when playing off coverage. He needs to be at the line, he is a physical breed who is best when he can jam for five yards and then turn and run. There may not be a WR in the NFL that can outrun Peterson at this point, but he is not great at transitioning from backpedal to sprint coming off the cushion.
I think we need a CB like Peterson if this defense is going to take the next step. If we want to be a more aggressive defense having a CB like Peterson will go a long way.

SD and NY are great examples. Both rely heavily on their CBs and the results are obvious.

I equate Peterson to this year's version of Dez Bryant. Simply a better athlete than everyone else and has the talent on top of it. Dez should have been a top 5 pick.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-21-2011, 12:12 PM
dareus is a top 5 talent. he has to be the pick, its a no brainer

better days
01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I think we need a CB like Peterson if this defense is going to take the next step. If we want to be a more aggressive defense having a CB like Peterson will go a long way.

SD and NY are great examples. Both rely heavily on their CBs and the results are obvious.

I equate Peterson to this year's version of Dez Bryant. Simply a better athlete than everyone else and has the talent on top of it. Dez should have been a top 5 pick.

Well, QB Sam Bradford was #1. DT Ndamukong Suh was #2.

With the 3rd pick the Bucs picked DT Gerald McCoy. They then Picked WR Arrelious Benn with their 2nd pick in the 2nd rnd & WR Mike Williams with their 4th rnd pick. As a Bucs fan, I am very happy with that draft much more so than I would have been with Dez as the 3rd pick.

With the 4th pick, the Redskins picked OT Trent Williams. The Chiefs picked S Eric Barry with the 5th pick.

Mahdi
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Well, QB Sam Bradford was #1. DT Ndamukong Suh was #2.

With the 3rd pick the Bucs picked DT Gerald McCoy. They then Picked WR Arrelious Benn with their 2nd pick in the 2nd rnd & WR Mike Williams with their 4th rnd pick. As a Bucs fan, I am very happy with that draft much more so than I would have been with Dez as the 3rd pick.

With the 4th pick, the Redskins picked OT Trent Williams. The Chiefs picked S Eric Barry with the 5th pick.
I don't see the correlation.

But using your example, Peterson is rated similarly to Suh and McCoy. As in, closest thing to a sure bet star as you can get.

better days
01-21-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't see the correlation.

But using your example, Peterson is rated similarly to Suh and McCoy. As in, closest thing to a sure bet star as you can get.

I was just saying Dez Bryant was not a top 5 pick last year.

Tatonka
01-21-2011, 03:09 PM
i think he was saying dez should have been, talent wise.

better days
01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
i think he was saying dez should have been, talent wise.

I am saying talent wise he should not have been. Both Benn & Williams may have careers as good as Bryant, & they were both picked much later than Bryant actually was.

Mahdi
01-21-2011, 04:36 PM
I am saying talent wise he should not have been. Both Benn & Williams may have careers as good as Bryant, & they were both picked much later than Bryant actually was.
Benn and Williams are not as good as Bryant. Don't forget Bryant wasn't given everything right away like Williams was. Tampa had zero WRs so Williams was the automatic #1. Bryant had to break into his spot with Austin and Roy Williams ahead of him. And then he still showed that he has more talent than both.

Bryant had 8 total TDs in 12 games. And I expect him to have a PB year next year.

Regardless of all that, you still pick the guy who is the better overall football player first. Banking on a 4th round pick to exceed expectations is a horrible strategy.

Comparing Peterson to Dareus, Peterson is the higher rated player.

Mr. Pink
01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
The only reason this team takes Dareus is because the top 2 lineman are gone and we go reaching for a player.

Not as bad as the Whitner reach however, but still a reach.

better days
01-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Benn and Williams are not as good as Bryant. Don't forget Bryant wasn't given everything right away like Williams was. Tampa had zero WRs so Williams was the automatic #1. Bryant had to break into his spot with Austin and Roy Williams ahead of him. And then he still showed that he has more talent than both.

Bryant had 8 total TDs in 12 games. And I expect him to have a PB year next year.

Regardless of all that, you still pick the guy who is the better overall football player first. Banking on a 4th round pick to exceed expectations is a horrible strategy.

Comparing Peterson to Dareus, Peterson is the higher rated player.

Well as I said, both Benn & Williams may have better careers than Bryant, only time will tell. The Bucs did have Kellen Winslow Jr. & Sammy Stroughter, two pretty good receivers already. The Bucs used the 3rd pick to take Gerald McCoy who was at least as highly rated as Dez & will have a GREAT career for the Bucs.

So even if Dez is better than both Benn & Williams, they are both still very good & the Bucs got McCoy which they wouldn't have if they drafted Dez.
As I said, I like the Bucs draft.

Peterson is rated higher by who? You can't judge from what the talking heads say. We will find out on draft days who is rated higher by the people that count.

Nighthawk
01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
You're not getting it... you need to say the Bills have to draft a QB in the first. Nothing else will do. If you argue with enough people on the message board about it, it is bound to happen.

Yeah...you're right because I never once said I want a DL before...dude, you seriously have to get your head out of your ass!

NOT THE DUDE...
01-22-2011, 07:32 AM
The only reason this team takes Dareus is because the top 2 lineman are gone and we go reaching for a player.

Not as bad as the Whitner reach however, but still a reach.

dude, ive seen dareus play, hes not a reach

k-oneputt
01-22-2011, 02:59 PM
dude, ive seen dareus play, hes not a reach

You have to remember they go off fictional ratings that some scouting service from ESPN say's player "A" is a 96 and Dareus is a 95 so he's a reach, according to them.

Mr. Pink
01-22-2011, 05:04 PM
You have to remember they go off fictional ratings that some scouting service from ESPN say's player "A" is a 96 and Dareus is a 95 so he's a reach, according to them.

Whenever you bypass stronger draft prospects to pick someone else, you're reaching.

The only way the Bills take Dareus is because they have in their mind they "have to" take a DLineman and the top 2 are gone.

Much like when they decided they "had to" take a Safety and Huff was gone.

Night Train
01-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Dareus could start anywhere on the line. Looks like slightly smaller Sam Adams to me.

Peterson wasn't even the best LSU CB in their bowl game. The Freshman on the other side looked twice the player. Sometimes we look at measurables too much.

The Bills keep ignoring the winning formula of building from the lines out and looks at the results. This is an exceptional draft year up top for the DL.

But keep drafting skill players and chasing rainbows. It's worked well the last 11 years.

Mahdi
01-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Dareus could start anywhere on the line. Looks like slightly smaller Sam Adams to me.

Peterson wasn't even the best LSU CB in their bowl game. The Freshman on the other side looked twice the player. Sometimes we look at measurables too much.

The Bills keep ignoring the winning formula of building from the lines out and looks at the results. This is an exceptional draft year up top for the DL.

But keep drafting skill players and chasing rainbows. It's worked well the last 11 years.
So yer summing up Peterson over one bowl game and disregarding his entire career where he showed he is the best CB prospect in 13 years.

ServoBillieves
01-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Dareus/Stroud/Williams/Edwards.

That's a preeetty sexy line right there.