X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Marcell Dareus Highlights and Discussion

A great selection of highlight videos I found for Marcell Dareus in the Bama-Spartan Bowl game.

Although Dareus is clearly a top talent I still don't think he will be our pick at 3.

Here is my reasoning....

1. We have already invested in the DL. We have KW who is solid, We drafted Troup in the second and Carrington in the third. We also signed Dawan Edwards who had a very good year before getting hurt. Spencer Johnson is also coming along in the new scheme.

2. I don't think Dareus is in the 3 best players in college football category. Many fans here, I believe, want Dareus simply because they saw us getting gashed on the ground week after week. IMO, drafting Dareus solely for that purpose and paying him 50 mil is a knee-jerk reaction. We need to draft a player who is considered FAR AND AWAY the best at his position, without question.

For me, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson and Bowers represent the players who are the three best football players available regardless of position. Then when you factor in position, Green is without question the best WR, Patrick Peterson is probably the best CB to come out since Charles Woodson and Bowers is the best pure pass rusher available out of all DL players. Dareus is neither the best pass rusher nor the best run defender at his position, they would be Fairley and Clayborn respectively. How can you justify taking a player at 3 who is not the best at anything?

3. The NYJ have a great pass rush and run D for 2 reasons. 1 is the talent they have at ILB and second is their CBs.

The Jets DL is good but I think ours can be as good, what we are missing to help in the run game is ILBs who are tough against the run. Poz is not that guy and neither was Ayodele. Getting run stuffers behind our DL will go a long way to fixing our run D.

Now the other factor is lockdown CBs. Revis and Cro allow the Jets to crowd the LoS without worrying about the back end. That allows them to throw more guys in blitzes than you can block. They really don't have 1 guy who is considered a great pass rusher. Their pass rush is multiple and it is such because they have the CBs to do it.

That brings me to Patrick Peterson. This guy is the ultimate football player as Woodson was. Incredible athlete, incredible size (6'1 222) and has amazing speed and body control to go with it. This is not the kind of player you find everyday.

He and McKelvin on the other side would allow us to do a lot of exotic things with blitzes and coverages.

Think about it, our DL is improving, we add some ILBs, Merriman gets back to normal, Moats is a year better and Batten joins the mix. Peterson on the back end with Byrd and Mckelvin allows that front 7 to be very aggressive, both against the run and the pass.

That's my take.
    Last edited by Mahdi; 01-20-2011, 10:11 AM.
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Marcell Dareus Highlights and Discussion

I'm fine with Peterson or Dareus. I have a feeling Bowers is going to be out of the question at #3, mainly due to only having one year of real production. There will be enough guys left (out of at least Green, Peterson and Dareus) that they can avoid a one-year wonder.

I have a feeling they'll take Peterson, and I'm personally fine with it.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• k-oneputt
      • Jun 2009

Respect you opinion but disagree on Dareus.
      I think he is a top-10 overall talent. Definte top-3 d-linemen.
      The thing I've noticed about this kid the last two years is he seems to play his best in the big games.
      Heis young but has produced for a couple of seasons already.
      would be the best fit for what it looks like the Bills will do on defense.

For me the #3 pick is Dareus, Bowers, Fairley, Gabbert, or a trade down for Mallett or Locker and get extra picks.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
        • Feb 2009

I want a d linemen or qb, that's it but if we take Peterson then fine, at least it helps us beat New England and improves the defense. Green would make me lose my mind.

Comment

• k-oneputt
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by WeAreArthurMoates
          I want a d linemen or qb, that's it but if we take Peterson then fine, at least it helps us beat New England and improves the defense. Green would make me lose my mind.
          I could live with Peterson. If it's Green I will have some tixs for you I won't be using.

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

I like Dareus a lot, but I completely agree with your first point that the Bills have a lot invested in the DL. I really don't think our DL is a big weakness despite our inability at times this past season to stop the run and get pressure. I put that mostly on our LB's. I also have a feeling the Bills don't see the DL as a weakness either and really like Troup and Carrington. I think Dareus is the pick only if Buddy and Co. truly believe he's the BPA at #3.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Peterson is the pick, assuming he doesn't get picked by Denver.

Comment

• tcb5033
              • Dec 2009

Our #3 pick is the highest we've had since we got Bruce Smith with the #1 overall pick. I think we have to use it to take the best available player, whether it be peterson or dareus (we better not take Green - WR is our deepest position). I think trading the pick is an interesting move because the talent goes deeper in this draft, but it also leaves us more susceptible to another first round bust, which is something I won't be able to handle emotionally haha

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

We havent invested enough on the DL. The proof is on the field on gameday. IMO, the only way we skip on drafting Dareus is if Nix decides to address stopping the run via FA.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• tcb5033
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  We havent invested enough on the DL. The proof is on the field on gameday. IMO, the only way we skip on drafting Dareus is if Nix decides to address stopping the run via FA.
                  That would be nice, but didn't Nix say he is committed to fixing issues through the draft?

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                    I could live with Peterson. If it's Green I will have some tixs for you I won't be using.
                    Why would I want them, I stated that I would not like the Green pick.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                      A great selection of highlight videos I found for Marcell Dareus in the Bama-Spartan Bowl game.

Although Dareus is clearly a top talent I still don't think he will be our pick at 3.

Here is my reasoning....

1. We have already invested in the DL. We have KW who is solid, We drafted Troup in the second and Carrington in the third. We also signed Dawan Edwards who had a very good year before getting hurt. Spencer Johnson is also coming along in the new scheme.

2. I don't think Dareus is in the 3 best players in college football category. Many fans here, I believe, want Dareus simply because they saw us getting gashed on the ground week after week. IMO, drafting Dareus solely for that purpose and paying him 50 mil is a knee-jerk reaction. We need to draft a player who is considered FAR AND AWAY the best at his position, without question.

For me, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson and Bowers represent the players who are the three best football players available regardless of position. Then when you factor in position, Green is without question the best WR, Patrick Peterson is probably the best CB to come out since Charles Woodson and Bowers is the best pure pass rusher available out of all DL players. Dareus is neither the best pass rusher nor the best run defender at his position, they would be Fairley and Clayborn respectively. How can you justify taking a player at 3 who is not the best at anything?

3. The NYJ have a great pass rush and run D for 2 reasons. 1 is the talent they have at ILB and second is their CBs.

The Jets DL is good but I think ours can be as good, what we are missing to help in the run game is ILBs who are tough against the run. Poz is not that guy and neither was Ayodele. Getting run stuffers behind our DL will go a long way to fixing our run D.

Now the other factor is lockdown CBs. Revis and Cro allow the Jets to crowd the LoS without worrying about the back end. That allows them to throw more guys in blitzes than you can block. They really don't have 1 guy who is considered a great pass rusher. Their pass rush is multiple and it is such because they have the CBs to do it.

That brings me to Patrick Peterson. This guy is the ultimate football player as Woodson was. Incredible athlete, incredible size (6'1 222) and has amazing speed and body control to go with it. This is not the kind of player you find everyday.

He and McKelvin on the other side would allow us to do a lot of exotic things with blitzes and coverages.

Think about it, our DL is improving, we add some ILBs, Merriman gets back to normal, Moats is a year better and Batten joins the mix. Peterson on the back end with Byrd and Mckelvin allows that front 7 to be very aggressive, both against the run and the pass.

That's my take.
                      Good post and I agree with many of your points included the bolded, but being the best in CFB has little to do with how good you may be in the NFL. Dareus versatility, power, and potential are unmatched among the top DL in this draft as you project forward.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ed
                        Dude
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        I think Nix will address the run by getting better LB's. There's no question that they were our weakest unit on D and are a critical component of the 3-4. Also, if Nix was willing to invest 2nd and 3rd round picks in Troup and Carrington, he's gotta believe that they are going to develop and grow into very solid players.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
                          I'm fine with Peterson or Dareus. I have a feeling Bowers is going to be out of the question at #3, mainly due to only having one year of real production. There will be enough guys left (out of at least Green, Peterson and Dareus) that they can avoid a one-year wonder.

I have a feeling they'll take Peterson, and I'm personally fine with it.
                          Why? This does nothing to address a major weakness...which is stopping the run or franchise QB. If they take a CB, mark it down...this team will continue to be bad for at least another 5 years. At some point, you need to start addressing deficiences in your team.

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                            Why? This does nothing to address a major weakness...which is stopping the run or franchise QB. If they take a CB, mark it down...this team will continue to be bad for at least another 5 years. At some point, you need to start addressing deficiences in your team.
                            Try not to be overly dramatic about ONE draft pick. It's not like the first round is the only round to get players.

Despite what you seem to think, CB IS a deficiency on this team. Jauron chose a lot of CB's, but apparently not very good ones. People can talk all they want about how our pass rush will solve the problem - that's not always true. I've seen plenty of cases where the QB throws the ball within 2 seconds and completes it.

I'm definitely someone who desperately wants to fix the OL, DL, and LB positions. That being said, when the talent is there, you take it. A lot of top-flight DE's have come from the later rounds, and a lot of top OT's have been found outside of the first round.
                            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Nighthawk
                              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
                              Try not to be overly dramatic about ONE draft pick. It's not like the first round is the only round to get players.

Despite what you seem to think, CB IS a deficiency on this team. Jauron chose a lot of CB's, but apparently not very good ones. People can talk all they want about how our pass rush will solve the problem - that's not always true. I've seen plenty of cases where the QB throws the ball within 2 seconds and completes it.

I'm definitely someone who desperately wants to fix the OL, DL, and LB positions. That being said, when the talent is there, you take it. A lot of top-flight DE's have come from the later rounds, and a lot of top OT's have been found outside of the first round.
                              Umm...what is the major reason why this franchise is where it is (besides Wilson?)??? Oh yeah, because of their stupid 1st round draft picks...it's not being over dramatic...it's a fact.

Comment

Working...
                              X