• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Bill Parcells QB Formula

I thought this article was interesting.

Bill Parcells is famous in NFL Draft circles for his formula, as it were, for drafting quarterbacks. Per the Parcells criteria, quarterbacks must be senior college graduates with three years of starting experience and at least 23 wins.
    I think a big factor is intellegints. The athleticism and arm strength sure are important but I think the smarter QB's are able to develop and become effective regardless of system. I think of guys like Fitzy, Ryan, Tebow, Brady and Hasslebeck. When being scouted a lot people had issues with these guys... but they all have a mind for the position and have been able to fit in regardless of the circumstances.

At this point I would sacrifice raw talent for a guy who has a brain for football. Whoever that may be in this years class.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

Re: Bill Parcells QB Formula

Originally posted by King Bedard

I think a big factor is intellegints.

LOL
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

HILARIOUS.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
        • Jan 2003

OMG!

Comment

• The King
          • Jun 2004

I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Bucks
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bangarang
              • Sep 2010

Comment

• The King
                • Jun 2004

While I was trying to be funny, I was also trying to induce some kind of dialogue on this topic.
                It was all

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Christian Ponder meets all of the criteria except wins - he has 22.
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

Yeah the intelligints mis-spelling jumped out on me too.

Cerebral QB's IMO do have a higher chance of success IMO. If yuo can read D's and make proper adjustments your chances of success increases.

If you have a great arm but can't read D's then your JP Losman.

If you have an average arm, but can't read D's your Trent Edwards
                    Last edited by ddaryl; 01-20-2011, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                      • Jan 2003

While I was trying to be funny, I was also trying to induce some kind of dialogue on this topic.
                      There is some merit to it IMO. A guy who has started that many college games has experience. Winning that many games means he likely has won a high percentage of his games which is also a plus in that he must know how to win.

Does anyone know what QBs Parcells has drafted? Not just coached but actually drafted when he had some power.

Comment

• The King
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
                        Christian Ponder meets all of the criteria except wins - he has 22.
                        He seems to be in an offense that sputtered.
                        It was all

Comment

• The King
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                          There is some merit to it IMO. A guy who has started that many college games has experience. Winning that many games means he likely has won a high percentage of his games which is also a plus in that he must know how to win.

Does anyone know what QBs Parcells has drafted? Not just coached but actually drafted when he had some power.
                          Bledsoe and Pennington were two I know he directly wanted... I know he was against Henne
                          It was all

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                            • Feb 2009

I know he was against Henne
                            I have heard this as well.. I wonder if Parcells let Jeff Ireland make all the decisions for the Phins on draft day..

This so called formula makes me feel a little better about Christian Ponder.. I think his senioer season was marred by injury and would like to get Ponder in the 3rd Round

Comment

• RandolphDuke
                              • Sep 2008

I think of guys like Fitzy, Ryan, Tebow, Brady and Hasslebeck.
                              I would add Doug Flutie, Brian St Pierre, Glenn Foley, and Tim Hasselbeck to this list.

Comment

Working...
                              X