PDA

View Full Version : Perloff's Mock: Gabbert #1 overall

Jeff1220
01-21-2011, 11:58 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andrew_perloff/01/20/2011-nfl-mock-draft/index.html?eref=sihp

Is this guy smoking something or what? On the bright side. the Bills get Fairley in this scenario:

3. Buffalo Bills -- Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
The Bills ranked last in the NFL in rush defense and getting tough in the middle will be their No. 1 priority. They could very well have a shot at Fairley despite the chatter he could go No. 1 overall. That's post-BCS title game euphoria, combined with appreciation of DT Ndamukong Suh and how he transformed the Lions defense. Fairley is great, but Suh appears to be a once-a-decade type player. A defensive tackle hasn't gone No. 1 overall since Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson in 1994.

Mr. Miyagi
01-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Not happening with Gabbert.

DraftBoy
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
If it comes for SI regarding the draft only trust Tony Pauline's stuff.

TacklingDummy
01-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Luck screwed the Bills out of Fairley. I hope Luck plays like crap next year.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-21-2011, 01:34 PM
This wouldn't shock me.

EDS
01-21-2011, 01:52 PM

I expect San Fran to do everything in their power to lose as many games as possible to put them in position for Harbaugh to reunite with Luck at the top of next years draft.

don137
01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I agree Luck staying in school hurt the Bills since they have the same needs as Buffalo. When it happened I remember many on this site laughing at Carolina for him staying in school but some cannot see the forest through the trees and realize that it could prevent Buffalo management getting the guy they covet since Carolina could take him whoever that may be.

madness
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM
I expect San Fran to do everything in their power to lose as many games as possible to put them in position for Harbaugh to reunite with Luck at the top of next years draft.

My neighbor and I were discussing that and I told him the same thing. Best move would be for his team to gut the roster and trade away anybody of value over 25.

HAMMER
01-21-2011, 02:05 PM
My neighbor and I were discussing that and I told him the same thing. Best move would be for his team to gut the roster and trade away anybody of value over 25.

Not going to happen.

Extremebillsfan247
01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
lol Gabbert is not going #1 overall. He will be lucky to crack the top 10 let alone the first overall. It's a bad year to be a QB in this draft.

better days
01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
lol Gabbert is not going #1 overall. He will be lucky to crack the top 10 let alone the first overall. It's a bad year to be a QB in this draft.

Actually it is a good year to be a QB in the draft. Looks like it is a bad year to need a QB in the draft.

Extremebillsfan247
01-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Actually it is a good year to be a QB in the draft. Looks like it is a bad year to need a QB in the draft.Right, thanks for the correction.

Ingtar33
01-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Gabbert probably won't make it past AZ at pick 5

THATHURMANATOR
01-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Gabbert probably won't make it past AZ at pick 5
So then why is he so wrong for the Bills?

Ingtar33
01-21-2011, 03:58 PM
So then why is he so wrong for the Bills?

you are confusing 2 concepts.

1) value

2) predicted draft position

I think Gabbert is a 2nd round value at best. this means i am not particularly high on him making the transition to the nfl. He DOES look like a glorified version of trent edwards.

HOWEVER-

QBs are always overdrafted. this is how guys like Alex and Akili Smith or Russell go 1st overall.

Looking at the draft this year, there are 3 teams in the top 5 who need a QB, 1 of those teams has no viable option at QB, and no one on their roster who can play the position, or who might play it in the future (cards)... 2 if you have no hope for jimmy clausen (panthers).

Unlike the Panters and the Cards... the Bills have an option at QB (your opinion may vary on how much of an option Fitz is)...

Throw in only two QBs even look like early 2nd rounders (Newton and Gabbert) and you could see both guys gone before pick 5...

that said, i think the class is so weak this year, it will be very likely that only one of them will go in the top 5. it's just a matter of averages. I think Gabbert is the slightly better QB prospect, so it's my guess he won't make it past pick 5

-that said-

If you want the bills to have the best QB in the draft you'll have a pretty fair chance at him at pick 3. i just don't think that the "best qb in the draft" in 2011 is worth passing up a player at a far greater need position who not only is a better prospect but who might help our front 7 or oline... hell i'm not even sure i'd be happy with one of those QBs at our pick in round 2; as i'm reasonably certain we could get a better player at another position of need this year.

THATHURMANATOR
01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Are Newton and Gabbert worse than Clausen/Mccoy?

Ingtar33
01-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Are Newton and Gabbert worse than Clausen/Mccoy?

eh... tough question... i think i would have, coming out of college had Clausen rated higher then both Gabbert and Newton. And while i would have liked both Gabbert and Newton better then McCoy, neither of them were a quarter as prolific as McCoy, nor had as many starts... so...

i probably would have given those three roughly the same general grade... 2nd to mid 3rd rounder...

THATHURMANATOR
01-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Got it thanks!

What about Locker or Mallet in the second?

Ingtar33
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Got it thanks!

well. Mallet is worth a late 2nd... i don't think any higher or lower of locker then i did last year.

last year i said he was a 3rd rounder... he still looks like a 3rd rounder.

That said. Likely, one of the guys... Locker, Newton or Gabbert will blow scouts and gms away at tryouts. and probably lock themselves into the 1st pick before this is all done (I doubt Mallet will be able to, because he can't wow anyone with his legs... he is just not athletic enough, and no one will be wow'ed by probably the only truely nfl ready ARM in the draft, Gabbert can still wow people with his arm)

none of that will convince me any of these guys is worth a 1st round selection though.

BillsFever21
01-21-2011, 05:29 PM

So you really believe they are just going to tank the season so they can have the #1 pick? Not a chance.

BillsFever21
01-21-2011, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if a QB goes #1 even though it's a weaker draft class for QB's then in the recent past. Most of the time a QB does go #1 except for a few exceptions in the past decade.

There is always some team that is in dire need of a QB drafting towards the top that usually ends up drafting one there. I remember many drafts where there wasn't anyone originally listed as #1 talent but there was still a QB drafted #1. Some team could easily gamble on one of these guys.

This draft reminds me of the 2002 draft. There were not any dominant QB's but Carr still went #1, Harrington #2 and Ramsey #32 and they all ended up sucking. There are always teams in dire need of a QB that will take the chance. They don't want to be the ones who ended up passing on a great QB when they had a need for one to begin with.

better days
01-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Got it thanks!

Locker will be playing in the Senior bowl Saturday for the North.

better days
01-21-2011, 06:11 PM
you are confusing 2 concepts.

1) value

2) predicted draft position

I think Gabbert is a 2nd round value at best. this means i am not particularly high on him making the transition to the nfl. He DOES look like a glorified version of trent edwards.

HOWEVER-

QBs are always overdrafted. this is how guys like Alex and Akili Smith or Russell go 1st overall.

Looking at the draft this year, there are 3 teams in the top 5 who need a QB, 1 of those teams has no viable option at QB, and no one on their roster who can play the position, or who might play it in the future (cards)... 2 if you have no hope for jimmy clausen (panthers).

Unlike the Panters and the Cards... the Bills have an option at QB (your opinion may vary on how much of an option Fitz is)...

Throw in only two QBs even look like early 2nd rounders (Newton and Gabbert) and you could see both guys gone before pick 5...

that said, i think the class is so weak this year, it will be very likely that only one of them will go in the top 5. it's just a matter of averages. I think Gabbert is the slightly better QB prospect, so it's my guess he won't make it past pick 5

-that said-

If you want the bills to have the best QB in the draft you'll have a pretty fair chance at him at pick 3. i just don't think that the "best qb in the draft" in 2011 is worth passing up a player at a far greater need position who not only is a better prospect but who might help our front 7 or oline... hell i'm not even sure i'd be happy with one of those QBs at our pick in round 2; as i'm reasonably certain we could get a better player at another position of need this year.

If Gabbert is trent Edwards no thanks, but if he is Joe Flacco I would draft him. Could he be Flacco?

YardRat
01-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I hope he's right...if Gabbert goes first, that's one more defender that could drop into our laps.

ServoBillieves
01-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Someone needs to explain this to me...

When we were all talking "Luck, Luck, Luck,"... The next names were Mallet, Locker, Newton, and in some cases, Devlin.

Almost the minute Luck says no, I hear "Well, with Luck out, looks like Gabbert is the best overall QB"

When the hell did this happen? Did this dude have a huge bowl game? When did he jump the other QB's that I'd actually heard of?

tampabay25690
01-21-2011, 09:06 PM

So wish the guy bad luck....OMG

djjimkelly
01-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Someone needs to explain this to me...

When we were all talking "Luck, Luck, Luck,"... The next names were Mallet, Locker, Newton, and in some cases, Devlin.

Almost the minute Luck says no, I hear "Well, with Luck out, looks like Gabbert is the best overall QB"

When the hell did this happen? Did this dude have a huge bowl game? When did he jump the other QB's that I'd actually heard of?

he is a junior that came out early

dannyek71
01-22-2011, 10:44 AM
My mock has me going #1 overall. Big deal what this guy thinks.

SABURZFAN
01-22-2011, 12:05 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the LAST thing we need. :hang:

SABURZFAN
01-22-2011, 12:07 PM
If Gabbert is trent Edwards no thanks,

still can't get over that he took out JP, eh yordad?