PDA

View Full Version : Wanny Has ALWAYS Run A 4-3 D

Night Train
01-22-2011, 04:37 AM
Just like the Bills ran the 2nd half of the year. Talking about the 3-4 no longer applies.

Makes sense, if we wish to see Kyle Williams at his best as a slicing 1 gap DT, with a big man next to him. Maybe a bigger Troup ? Carrington gets his full time shot at DE. Dwan Edwards will mend and get a final look at DE. An off-season to keep adding more to a needy Front 7. Stroud & Johnson would seem to be odd men out with age, salary and lack of production working against them.

The nice part about Wanny coming in is looking at film as an unbiased set of fresh eyes, who can be blunt about what is needed. Gailey had little choice other than to play certain players and let them sink or swim. Many did sink and now he has help IDing future talent on the D side.

Wanny may also strengthen the idea that a Fairley,Dareus,Bowers DL type will indeed be the pick early. Fine by me.

TedMock
01-22-2011, 05:33 AM
Just like the Bills ran the 2nd half of the year. Talking about the 3-4 no longer applies.

Makes sense, if we wish to see Kyle Williams at his best as a slicing 1 gap DT, with a big man next to him. Maybe a bigger Troup ? Carrington gets his full time shot at DE. Dwan Edwards will mend and get a final look at DE. An off-season to keep adding more to a needy Front 7. Stroud & Johnson would seem to be odd men out with age, salary and lack of production working against them.

The nice part about Wanny coming in is looking at film as an unbiased set of fresh eyes, who can be blunt about what is needed. Gailey had little choice other than to play certain players and let them sink or swim. Many did sink and now he has help IDing future talent on the D side.

Wanny may also strengthen the idea that a Fairley,Dareus,Bowers DL type will indeed be the pick early. Fine by me.

I'm really interested to see what we do. Wanny is a 43 guy. Kyle Williams, Kelsay and Stroud are better suited for the 43. Edwards, Carrington, Merriman & Moats are better suited for the 34. Depending on the style of 43 or 34, Troup could play in both. Dareus could play in both as well, if we draft him. Fairley and Bowers are better 43 guys. Sounds like the hybrid idea is most likely and, if we go DL in the draft, Dareus would be the most versatile 1st round option.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-22-2011, 05:38 AM
i think we will run a hybrid. you can run 1gap with a 34 too

YardRat
01-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Wanny's first rounders as HC-

93-Conway, WR
94-Thierry, DE
95-Salaam, RB
96-Harris, DB
97-No first, Allred, TE in the second
98-Enis, RB

00-No first, Wade, OT in the second
01-Fletcher, DB
02-No first or second, McKinney, C in the third
03-No first, Moore, LB in the second.
04-Carey, OT

Forward_Lateral
01-22-2011, 06:23 AM

93-Conway, WR
94-Thierry, DE
95-Salaam, RB
96-Harris, DB
98-Enis, RB

01-Fletcher, DB
04-Carey, OT

In other words, ask him to stay home on Draft Day.

SquishDaFish
01-22-2011, 06:36 AM
I disagree. I think hes being brought here because of his knowledge of the 4-3 so they can run the hybrid like they want. He will help out with the 4-3 side of things while the current staff will worry about the 3-4 side of it.

Night Train
01-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Wanny isn't making the picks. He'll point out positions on D that he views as weak (plenty) and strong (few).

We don't need Holmes to solve this mystery. The worst run D in the NFL is a known fact. Unless that changes, forget about winning. The 4-3 seems like a better formula to cure that far quicker than the 3-4.

tampabay25690
01-22-2011, 06:52 AM
i think we will run a hybrid. you can run 1gap with a 34 too

You are absoultely correct.
Think it will be a 4-3 base with tends of the 3-4 in situations.

tampabay25690
01-22-2011, 06:53 AM

93-Conway, WR
94-Thierry, DE
95-Salaam, RB
96-Harris, DB
98-Enis, RB

01-Fletcher, DB
04-Carey, OT

He isn't the head coach in Buffalo

Joe Fo Sho
01-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Do you really think this guy just knows absolutely nothing about the 3-4 scheme? He's been in this league for a long time and knows quite a bit about defense. Just because he's never run one doesn't mean he can't help us get there, he's not an idiot.

Mahdi
01-22-2011, 08:46 AM
I love how you keep telling people that we played "4-3 the second half of the year" which is false.

Mahdi
01-22-2011, 09:07 AM
“We are extremely pleased to have Dave Wannstedt join our staff,” said head coach Chan Gailey. “Dave and I have known each other for quite awhile. I respected him when I worked for him, and I’m excited that he is going to be able to join our staff. He’ll have the title of Assistant Head Coach and will be coaching the inside linebackers. I look forward to him being able to help our team in many ways. With his amount of experience he certainly should be able to do that. We look forward to having him.”

In bold is the proof that the Bills will stick with the 3-4. Gailey says Wanny will coach the ILBs not the MLBs and not the LBs in general. That is a clear indication that the Bills feel their run defense was a result of bad ILB play. Letting Poz walk is another clear indication of that. The Bills like their DL better than many think.

chernobylwraiths
01-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Not that he will immediately run the D, but where do you find the rankings of his defenses when he was D coordinator?

trapezeus
01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't care what we run so long as we have an NFL level defense this year

SquishDaFish
01-22-2011, 09:27 AM
I dont think they are going to let Poz walk either. I see him being resigned

Mahdi
01-22-2011, 09:30 AM
I dont think they are going to let Poz walk either. I see him being resigned
Maybe, but the fact that they haven't so far is a strong indication that they don't value him too highly. We have heard that negotiations were taking place with Whitner but nothing for Poz.

If they valued him a deal would have been done by now because I doubt he can ask for much.

Beebe's Kid
01-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I dont think they are going to let Poz walk either. I see him being resigned Poz is staying and so will Stroud. I am not crazy about Stroud, bu he is a respected vet.

Bangarang
01-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Maybe, but the fact that they haven't so far is a strong indication that they don't value him too highly. We have heard that negotiations were taking place with Whitner but nothing for Poz.

If they valued him a deal would have been done by now because I doubt he can ask for much.

False. Poz can't make more than 30% of what he's currently making because of the current CBA. The fact that he doesn't have a new contract could mean that Nix is waiting on a new CBA to give Poz more money.

Mahdi
01-22-2011, 10:03 AM
False. Poz can't make more than 30% of what he's currently making because of the current CBA. The fact that he doesn't have a new contract could mean that Nix is waiting on a new CBA to give Poz more money.
So you think Poz is in line for a 30% or more raise? Possibly but I would be certainly surprised by that.

edit: Actually, his salary is only 665 000 so yeah, they might be waiting for the CBA since the most he could make if they gave him a new deal is 1.4 mil a year.

bigbub2352
01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
un til we get some starting calibar OLB's we cant run either

NOT THE DUDE...
01-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Poz is staying and so will Stroud. I am not crazy about Stroud, bu he is a respected vet.

stroud and johnson are both done and will be gone, mcgee is gone too..

madness
01-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Once the new CBA is in place, Poz will get a new deal.

psubills62
01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Why do people ignore the fact that our DC is primarily a 3-4 guy? It's obvious we'll be running both. People act like Wanny is going to be more important than Gailey. I think a lot of people are really overrating the "Assistant Head Coach" title.

Bangarang
01-22-2011, 11:52 AM
People act like DW is oblivious to anything other than the 4-3. The guy has been around and am quite certain he knows a thing or two about running a 3-4. The guy will probably just be here to help Edwards game plan and set up different packages. The Asst. HC title is just to bump up his pay and look good on a resume so he can try and get a HC job somewhere else in a year or two.

SABURZFAN
01-22-2011, 11:59 AM
i wonder if Wanny can produce a miracle with Maybin. :baghead:

YardRat
01-22-2011, 12:03 PM
He isn't the head coach in Buffalo

First round picks with Wanny as DC...

'89-Troy Aikman
'90-Emmitt Smith
'91-Maryland, DT, Harper, WR, Pritchett, DT
'92-K.Smith DB, R.Jones LB

'99-No firsts, J.Johnson RB, R.Konrad FB in the second

Team standings, defense, points allowed...

'89-24th (28 total)
'90-15th (28)
'91-17th (28)
'92-5th (28)

'99-19th (31)

The guy's defenses have ranked in the bottom half of the league 4 out of 5 times when he was 'in charge'.

I'm far from impressed.

TigerJ
01-22-2011, 12:39 PM
So, Wanny is a 4-3 guy and Edwards is a 3-4 guy, and Gailey has said the Bills will continue to run some of each. Makes sense to me.

Luisito23
01-22-2011, 03:23 PM
It's a good signing I think...With how horrible this defense is he can only help.

Novacane
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
i wonder if Wanny can produce a miracle with Maybin. :baghead:

No one could work a miracle with Maybin.

Spiderweb
01-23-2011, 10:38 PM

Jesus would have his work cut out for him, but he just might be able to pull it off.

better days
01-24-2011, 01:12 PM

I have heard a couple Merriman interviews since he signed his contract with the Bills, he thinks in spite of this past year that Maybin can play, lets hope he teaches him how.

Mahdi
01-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Lets not forget he is only 22. Clay Matthews is 24 as is Orakpo. We drafted him very young and his inexperience is apparent.

Doesn't mean he is done, Gailey has been harsh with his words to him to motivate him to put in a huge offseason and if he does put in the work I think he can still be a good player.

He wouldn't be the first OLB to take a long time to flourish.

SABURZFAN
01-24-2011, 04:04 PM

how the hell did he become a 1st round draft pick again? somebody did something.

Extremebillsfan247
01-24-2011, 04:42 PM

Lets just keep in mind that he isn't here to take over the defense. He is here to be a contributing party to it. It's still a product of George Edwards.