PDA

View Full Version : WRs...

Whysoserious?
01-25-2011, 12:34 AM
any need to draft one? I am thinking a Dane Sanzenbacher type slot guy would be nice in the 7th round, but do we take a look at any big play WRs in the 3rd and 4th round?

better days
01-25-2011, 12:39 AM
any need to draft one? I am thinking a Dane Sanzenbacher type slot guy would be nice in the 7th round, but do we take a look at any big play WRs in the 3rd and 4th round?

How about this guy? Mark Easley: 6'2" 207lbs 4.39 time. 4th rnd.

ServoBillieves
01-25-2011, 12:44 AM
You're thinking about a 7th round WR when we already have Lee Evans, Stevie Johnson, Roscoe Parrish, David Nelson, Donald Jones, and the rest of the entourage?

We're set at WR dude. Whoever is going to block for them is the issue now.

YardRat
01-25-2011, 01:06 AM
We need a true #1, which we're probably not going to find in later rounds, or a blazer that can stretch the field and take coverages deep to give us a long ball threat and help open up the intermediate routes.

kingJofNYC
01-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Lee is getting old, he's going to need a replacement.

I love Titus Young.

Bangarang
01-25-2011, 01:13 AM
AJ Green

Michael82
01-25-2011, 01:40 AM
How come everyone forgets about Marcus Easley? He had a good mini camp and showed potential in training camp. I think he's going to be a big part of the offense this year once he's 100%.

jamze132
01-25-2011, 05:28 AM
How come everyone forgets about Marcus Easley? He had a good mini camp and showed potential in training camp. I think he's going to be a big part of the offense this year once he's 100%.
Because it was just camp man. Hell half the time he was on the field and showing his "potential", no one was even wearing pads.

I don't think we should assume that Marcus will be a great player in the NFL. We should draft accordingly and if he turns out to be good, then we have a nice little problem on our hands.

Jan Reimers
01-25-2011, 07:25 AM
I think we need to establish our priorities. We have 6 receivers who played well last year, and a 7th - Marcus Easley - who was very impressive in camp last season.

Our run defense, on the other hand, was the laughingstock of the league. We need D linemen and linebackers ABOVE ALL ELSE. We should also probably look at a developmental QB, RT, TE, and S before we even THINK WR.

WR is probably our deepest position on the team.

Jan Reimers
01-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Lee is getting old, he's going to need a replacement.

Lee is only 29. I don't think he has lost a thing, except that Fitz seems to have better chemistry with a few of the younger guys. I think Lee will continue to be a valuable receiver on this team, particularly if Fitz rediscovers him.

mayotm
01-25-2011, 08:20 AM
We need a true #1, which we're probably not going to find in later rounds, or a blazer that can stretch the field and take coverages deep to give us a long ball threat and help open up the intermediate routes.Why can't Johnson develop into a "true #1"? He certainly put up #1 type numbers. It was his first season with significant playing time. Seems like the potential is there for him to continue improving.

Beebe's Kid
01-25-2011, 08:52 AM
I like our guys. I do.

I think we could get a lot better at receiver, however.

I know it gets people all hurt in the ass if you say anything other that Stevie for HOF, but while I think he is good, I am not sure he is a #1.

Outside of Roscoe, I don't recall any of our guys making any spectacular catches....that would be because they didn't. Stevie made a few nice grabs, but nothing that was a spectacular catch.

If anything there were several times that they flat out dropped balls, or it appeared that the extra effort to make a spectacular catch was not there. I don't think they didn't dive or jump or whatever out of lack of effort...I think it was out of lack of instinct.

Due to our offense's tendency to go 4-5 wide, and Fitz's ability to distribute, I feel safe saying that Fitz made these guys look a lot better than they are. I also feel confident saying that they didn't return the favor. They never bailed him out with a tough catch, or making the play that would overcome the drop they just had the play before.

I am not saying we need to draft AJ Green, but I wouldn't hate the pick. I think that they need to look into improving the team in EVERY area, and don't fall too deeply in love with anybody we have.

Edit: David Nelson also made several really nice catches.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-25-2011, 08:57 AM
How come everyone forgets about Marcus Easley? He had a good mini camp and showed potential in training camp.
So did Aaron Maybin.

Beebe's Kid
01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Why can't Johnson develop into a "true #1"? He certainly put up #1 type numbers. It was his first season with significant playing time. Seems like the potential is there for him to continue improving.I like Steve...I want to keep him on this team. I do not recall a guy ever improving his hands. If they have trouble catching the ball...they always have trouble catching the ball. That doesn't mean he isn't a good receiver, he just doesn't have the kind of hands that I want to count on when a game is on the line.

Beebe's Kid
01-25-2011, 08:59 AM
So did Aaron Maybin.That's a really snappy retort...but when?

Mahdi
01-25-2011, 09:06 AM
I like Steve...I want to keep him on this team. I do not recall a guy ever improving his hands. If they have trouble catching the ball...they always have trouble catching the ball. That doesn't mean he isn't a good receiver, he just doesn't have the kind of hands that I want to count on when a game is on the line.
Stevie has amazing hands. He can make any catch. He just has lapses in concentration more than normal. Which in itself is normal for a player who didn't play much in his first 2 years.

Stevie comes into next season with a whole new perspective on his role. That will help him be more consistent.

Remember, Brandon Marshall also had a ton of drops his first couple seasons.

mayotm
01-25-2011, 09:14 AM
I like Steve...I want to keep him on this team. I do not recall a guy ever improving his hands. If they have trouble catching the ball...they always have trouble catching the ball. That doesn't mean he isn't a good receiver, he just doesn't have the kind of hands that I want to count on when a game is on the line.I disagree that a player can't improve their hands. Josh Reed dropped a ton of balls early in his career. His last few years in Buffalo, he didn't drop hardly any.

psubills62
01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
We need a #1 WR. So if we don't draft one in the first two rounds, probably shouldn't bother taking one.

better days
01-25-2011, 11:53 AM
I like our guys. I do.

I think we could get a lot better at receiver, however.

I know it gets people all hurt in the ass if you say anything other that Stevie for HOF, but while I think he is good, I am not sure he is a #1.

Outside of Roscoe, I don't recall any of our guys making any spectacular catches....that would be because they didn't. Stevie made a few nice grabs, but nothing that was a spectacular catch.

If anything there were several times that they flat out dropped balls, or it appeared that the extra effort to make a spectacular catch was not there. I don't think they didn't dive or jump or whatever out of lack of effort...I think it was out of lack of instinct.

Due to our offense's tendency to go 4-5 wide, and Fitz's ability to distribute, I feel safe saying that Fitz made these guys look a lot better than they are. I also feel confident saying that they didn't return the favor. They never bailed him out with a tough catch, or making the play that would overcome the drop they just had the play before.

I am not saying we need to draft AJ Green, but I wouldn't hate the pick. I think that they need to look into improving the team in EVERY area, and don't fall too deeply in love with anybody we have.

Edit: David Nelson also made several really nice catches.

I think the Bills "could" get better at every position. WR however is WAY DOWN on the list that they need to get better.

DraftBoy
01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
How about this guy? Mark Easley: 6'2" 207lbs 4.39 time. 4th rnd.

Not sure he's a good slot option, better suited to play outside.

DraftBoy
01-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I think we need to establish our priorities. We have 6 receivers who played well last year, and a 7th - Marcus Easley - who was very impressive in camp last season.

Our run defense, on the other hand, was the laughingstock of the league. We need D linemen and linebackers ABOVE ALL ELSE. We should also probably look at a developmental QB, RT, TE, and S before we even THINK WR.

WR is probably our deepest position on the team.

Great depth, but little top end impact talent.

better days
01-25-2011, 12:18 PM

Well, how many positions on this team have great depth & top end impact?

Nighthawk
01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Off topic, but how many "Why So Serious?" do we need on this board? Dude, get an original user name!!!!

Jan Reimers
01-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Johnson was a 1,000 yard, 10 TD guy last year, and he should get better. Lee is only 29 and has been over 1,000 yards twice in his career, with a mostly chaotic QB situation. Roscoe looks like a playmaker in Chan's system. Nelson showed great potential before his injury. Jones and Roosevelt are solid backups. Easley is really well thought of.

My point is, we are not perfect at WR, but we have good young guys with lots of potential. Our D front 7 is a horror show, and we have other, bigger holes as well. Let's plug our positions of critical need before we worry about a position as well stocked as WR.

Beebe's Kid
01-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Johnson was a 1,000 yard, 10 TD guy last year, and he should get better. Lee is only 29 and has been over 1,000 yards twice in his career, with a mostly chaotic QB situation. Roscoe looks like a playmaker in Chan's system. Nelson showed great potential before his injury. Jones and Roosevelt are solid backups. Easley is really well thought of.

My point is, we are not perfect at WR, but we have good young guys with lots of potential. Our D front 7 is a horror show, and we have other, bigger holes as well. Let's plug our positions of critical need before we worry about a position as well stocked as WR.

I think if you could get Fitzy and Chan loaded on whiskey, they would tell you that WR is a position of need.

I hope Stevie's hands get better, I really do. I like the guy, and I love the Bills. I want nothing more than our guys to be elite, and game changers.

It's funny, that I didn't realize that Lee was only 29... I don't know what happened to him this year, but I hope he can get his head on straight and be our guy again next year.

I hope that our guys can pan out. I always tend to over-value our guys, because I am rooting for them... If I look at this situation objectively, I see a group of WR that could be replaced by the next class of UDFA and give the Bills the same production. As much as it is popular to dump on Fitz, I think the receivers were the benefactors of his play, and not the other way around.

madness
01-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Easley obviously has some potential but he's still raw by NFL standards.

better days
01-25-2011, 01:57 PM

Yeah to complain about receivers on the Bills is equivalent to complaining about a paper cut on your finger when you have a broken arm that hasn't yet been set.

k-oneputt
01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't even know why wr's are even discussed regarding this team and all their other issues.
The wr's are good enough. If we can fill the other dozen holes on the team we can then discuss a wr upgrade.

DraftBoy
01-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Johnson becomes a mental midget at the worst possible times and has massive questions regarding his mental makeup and maturity level.

Evans has never been a #1 WR, he's been forced into that position by us.

Roscoe can never stay healthy.

Out of Nelson, Jones and Roosevelt, only Nelson even deserves to be on an NFL roster, the other two barely are PS level kids.

Easley had one good season of college ball, and one good minicamp. People need to pump the brakes a little bit on this kid.

I dont disagree that we need D help, and a ton of it. But Im also not going to fool myself into thinking that the rag-tag bunch of 4th-6th caliber WR's we have is good or even adequate.

better days
01-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Johnson becomes a mental midget at the worst possible times and has massive questions regarding his mental makeup and maturity level.

Evans has never been a #1 WR, he's been forced into that position by us.

Roscoe can never stay healthy.

Out of Nelson, Jones and Roosevelt, only Nelson even deserves to be on an NFL roster, the other two barely are PS level kids.

Easley had one good season of college ball, and one good minicamp. People need to pump the brakes a little bit on this kid.

I dont disagree that we need D help, and a ton of it. But Im also not going to fool myself into thinking that the rag-tag bunch of 4th-6th caliber WR's we have is good or even adequate.

Well if the Bills WR group is less than adequate, what are the QB, DL, LB, DB, OL groups?

DraftBoy
01-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Well if the Bills WR group is less than adequate, what are the QB, DL, LB, DB, OL groups?
Beyond description.

justasportsfan
01-25-2011, 05:56 PM
ever since Brees took over the saints, they never had a clear cut no.1 or their wr's had similar nos. to what we had last year because Brees spreads the ball around regardless of who his wr's were.

Thats the way fitz operates as well. No, I'm not comparing Fitz to Brees but thats where they are similar. Fitz has been able to get production from any wr from Steve to Namaan.

I would rather fix the D this offseason whether its via the draft , FA or both. The more the O gets the ball back, the more production we will get out of our wr's.

DraftBoy
01-25-2011, 06:39 PM
ever since Brees took over the saints, they never had a clear cut no.1 or their wr's had similar nos. to what we had last year because Brees spreads the ball around regardless of who his wr's were.

Thats the way fitz operates as well. No, I'm not comparing Fitz to Brees but thats where they are similar. Fitz has been able to get production from any wr from Steve to Namaan.

I would rather fix the D this offseason whether its via the draft , FA or both. The more the O gets the ball back, the more production we will get out of our wr's.

Id take the Saints WR's any day over ours. Don't kid yourself on that.

I agree the D is the priority but I dont see where people get this false sense of security from our WR corp.

DraftBoy
01-25-2011, 06:39 PM

And btw Colston is a #1 and better than anybody we got. He just struggles to stay healthy.

justasportsfan
01-25-2011, 06:46 PM

I agree the D is the priority but I dont see where people get this false sense of security from our WR corp.
Brees makes their wrs look better than ours. Our wr position the least position on this team that I am worried about. I can live with what we have as long as the rest of the team is taken care of first. Keep in mind this team played its first year together in a new system. Fix the run game and our wrs will get better as well.

DraftBoy
01-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Brees makes their wrs look better than ours. Our wr position the least position on this team that I am worried about. I can live with what we have as long as the rest of the team is taken care of first. Keep in mind this team played its first year together in a new system. Fix the run game and our wrs will get better as well.

Maybe, but I think you are over looking the effect that a good TE, and quality WR's does for that team. Agree to disagree though.

tcb5033
01-25-2011, 07:13 PM
our WR corp is adequate right now to the point that it doesn't really have to be addressed in this draft. Also, I don't think there is anything "wrong" with Lee, it was just the emergence of Stevie that lead to a slip in his stats. But, he was still drawing coverage which is a HUGE asset. With an extra year of experience after this season, I think our young WR's will be solid next year.

YardRat
01-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Why can't Johnson develop into a "true #1"? He certainly put up #1 type numbers. It was his first season with significant playing time. Seems like the potential is there for him to continue improving.

I suppose it's still possible, but I don't see him doing it. His hands are too iffy. When your '#1 WR' drops a pass (which, I know, they all do) it should elicit a 'Wow' response, not 'Meh...He always drops one or two per game'.

YardRat
01-25-2011, 07:31 PM

I agree with you completely about defense, but think you're over-rating the WR corps a bit.

Johnson is erratic.
Evans is solid, but not a game-changer.
Roscoe is a china doll. Even if he has found his niche in Gailey's system he's only good for partial seasons.
Nelson is good depth and will be a good third down, chain-moving type option. Everybody needs one, but that's not an impact starter.
Jones and Roosevelt probably won't rise higher than what they are...depth players.
Easley is an unknown. Nobody's seen him play in pads at this level, so nobody knows what he might/not be capable of.

We need a go-to guy...Somebody the defense really has to gameplan for, and we don't have one at the moment. Either that, or a speedster that can stretch the field or top 5 TE.

That being said, we all realize every hole can't be filled every year, and we can probably get away with what we have for another season while concentrating on the defensive side of the ball.

better days
01-25-2011, 07:44 PM

Well you can have the Saints WR's. I would take Brees myself over any other player on the Saints.

Nobody is saying the Bills Wr's are the GREATEST but they are not the reason the Bills only won 4 games. FIX the problems FIRST.

Nighthawk
01-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Ha, ha...hilarious how everybody thinks Fitz is the reason that some of these guys showed some ability. Now that is funny ****!

John Doe
01-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Supposedly, wide receiver is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to transition to in the pros. I don't see how anyone can write off a guy like Donald Jones as having limited potential to improve given his physical talent and what he has accomplished so far as a special teamer and as a spot reciever.

And, should we invest a mid round draft pick (say a 4th rounder) to address our wide receiver depth to compete with our 4th round pick from last year? Easley clearly showed talent in training camp and would probably have a leg up on a rookie with similar talent coming in this year. If Gailey sticks to keeping only 5 receivers on the 53-man roster it would just seem to be a waste of a pick.

We do not have a stable full of all stars at wide reciever - everyone can agree on that. What should be obvious is that wide receiver is not a need incomparison to other positions, plus there is upside there as well.

justasportsfan
01-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Maybe, but I think you are over looking the effect that a good TE, and quality WR's does for that team. Agree to disagree though.

they definitely have a better TE but checkout the stats of both qb's and their wr's with Brees attempting 271 more passes. Its not that different in terms of their wrs from ours. All i'm saying is that if Brees was our qb, ours wrs would most likely have the same nos. as theirs

DraftBoy
01-25-2011, 09:09 PM
they definitely have a better TE but checkout the stats of both qb's and their wr's with Brees attempting 271 more passes. Its not that different in terms of their wrs from ours. All i'm saying is that if Brees was our qb, ours wrs would most likely have the same nos. as theirs

No its a huge difference, the stats done tell you the whole story. Nobody but a Bills fan is going to take the Bills WR and NO WR and say they are even close to comparable.

justasportsfan
01-25-2011, 09:33 PM
the stats done tell you the whole story. .

thats exactly why I am not selling our wr's short.The saints have a better qb and have been playing together longer

DraftBoy
01-26-2011, 09:59 AM
thats exactly why I am not selling our wr's short.The saints have a better qb and have been playing together longer

That makes no sense. You use stats to defend your argument but choose to disregard them when they dont work for you??

justasportsfan
01-26-2011, 10:30 AM
That makes no sense. You use stats to defend your argument but choose to disregard them when they dont work for you??

you said that stats don't tell you the whole stroy. So what I am saying is that the story behind the bills wr's in trying to compare to the saints wr's is that the bills wr's don't have a gunslinger qb like Brees as evidenced by Brees having 200+ attempts more than Fitz. Unlike the saints wr's the bills' wrs are playing with a rebuilding team. The saints also have a better D that gives the ball back to their O compared to the bills. Yet, Stevie has comparable nos to their top wr .

This leads me to believe that take everything into account, Brees would have the same nos if he had our wrs.

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah to complain about receivers on the Bills is equivalent to complaining about a paper cut on your finger when you have a broken arm that hasn't yet been set.

The triage order for the Bills?

1. Run defense/D line/LB
2. Running offense
3. Pass rush
4. O-line play/depth
5. QB depth
6. Ball security
7. safety play
8. TE play/depth
9. Linebackers in pass coverage
10. Return game
11. Cornerback depth
12. QB play
13. Kick coverage
14. kicking game
15. WR play/depth

madness
01-26-2011, 12:39 PM
The triage order for the Bills?

1. Run defense/D line/LB
2. Running offense
3. Pass rush
4. O-line play/depth
5. QB depth
6. Ball security
7. safety play
8. TE play/depth
9. Linebackers in pass coverage
10. Return game
11. Cornerback depth
12. QB play
13. Kick coverage
14. kicking game
15. WR play/depth

Anytime we play a decent defense, they rolled a safety over top of Lee to take him completely out of the game and single coveraged the rest while they filled the box. All those games have something in common... Fitz had a few more picks/sacks and FJ was pretty much shut down.

Nobody on this roster is a true #1 that can draw tight coverage and still make the catch.

1. Mike Wallace
2. Roddy White
3. Wes Welker
4. DeSean Jackson
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Greg Jennings
7. Marques Colston
8. Pierre Garcon
9. Deion Branch
10. Jeremy Maclin
11. Hines Ward
12. Dwayne Bowe
13. Santonio Holmes
14. Lance Moore
15. Derrick Mason
16. Johnny Knox
17. Robert Meachem
18. Anquan Boldin
19. James Jones
20. Braylon Edwards
21. Donald Driver
22. Emmanuel Sanders
23. Brandon Tate
24. Earl Bennett
25. Blair White

How many of these guys would you take Lee Evans or even Steve Johnson over?

EDS
01-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Anytime we play a decent defense, they rolled a safety over top of Lee to take him completely out of the game and single coveraged the rest while they filled the box. All those games have something in common... Fitz had a few more picks/sacks and FJ was pretty much shut down.

Nobody on this roster is a true #1 that can draw tight coverage and still make the catch.

1. Mike Wallace
2. Roddy White
3. Wes Welker
4. DeSean Jackson
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Greg Jennings
7. Marques Colston
8. Pierre Garcon
9. Deion Branch
10. Jeremy Maclin
11. Hines Ward
12. Dwayne Bowe
13. Santonio Holmes
14. Lance Moore
15. Derrick Mason
16. Johnny Knox
17. Robert Meachem
18. Anquan Boldin
19. James Jones
20. Braylon Edwards
21. Donald Driver
22. Emmanuel Sanders
23. Brandon Tate
24. Earl Bennett
25. Blair White

How many of these guys would you take Lee Evans or even Steve Johnson over?

I would take Lee Evans over Garcon, Branch, Moore, Mason, Knox, Meachem, Edwards, Sanders, Tate, Bennett and White.

BillsWin
01-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Marcus Easley will replace Lee Evans as our true No. 1 receiver within two seasons and him and Johnson will be great together.

justasportsfan
01-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Marcus Easley will replace Lee Evans as our true No. 1 receiver within two seasons and him and Johnson will be great together.

could happen but remains to be seen.