01-26-2011, 07:30 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article323639.ece

The team is 3-4
Wood is going to Center
They are not looking to replace Bell, may not even address O-Line
3rd pick franchise guy regardless of position

k-oneputt
01-26-2011, 07:47 AM
At least they got Wood fiqured out. He should of been at center the whole time, but that's buffalo bills football.
If they don't address o-line, who exactly is playing rt ?

Mr. Miyagi
01-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Or LG?

I guess Hang is getting released?

elltrain22
01-26-2011, 07:54 AM
The team is 3-4= better get some real LB's and improve our front 8 considerably
Wood is going to Center= its about fricken time
They are not looking to replace Bell, may not even address O-Line= smart about Bell, but ya gotta get another offensive tackle
3rd pick franchise guy regardless of position= if this means we're drafting Peterson, and not getting us Fairley, Dareus, or Bowers, then that sucks.(Fixed your formatting. :miyagi:)

Mr. Miyagi
01-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Why couldn't Fairley or Bowers be franchise guys?

psubills62
01-26-2011, 07:57 AM
ghz, I'm curious, where did you get that they might not address the OL at all? I didn't see a quote in there regarding that, wondering if I missed it. I'd be pretty surprised if that was actually the case.

k-oneputt
01-26-2011, 07:57 AM
I liked the talk about getting bigger at linebacker.
Can't stop the run with our little speed guys at lb from the Jauron era. goodbye ellison types. Sounds like we will be drafting big.

Mahdi
01-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Hope that puts to rest the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate.

Forward_Lateral
01-26-2011, 07:59 AM
I like the way Nix is blunt and open with his answers. He doesn't beat around the bush. "We need to get bigger (LBs) to be successful." I like that. He's not sugar coating it, saying they work hard, blah blah blah. He's saying, get bigger and stronger, or we'll find guys who are.

Mahdi
01-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Or LG?

Be surprised if he got released. The goal is to gain depth not lose it. He is on a good contract to keep also.

Forward_Lateral
01-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Or LG?

LG? You mean RG?

Mahdi
01-26-2011, 08:01 AM
I liked the talk about getting bigger at linebacker.
Can't stop the run with our little speed guys at lb from the Jauron era. goodbye ellison types. Sounds like we will be drafting big.
Is he really talking about Ellison though?

Ellison barely played this year....

He could be talking about Poz and Ayodele. They were the MLBs most of the year and they were the ones that struggled in the run game.

I know many feel Poz will be re-signed but how much do you pay a LB that can't stop the run?

Mr. Miyagi
01-26-2011, 08:05 AM
LG? You mean RG?
I don't know. I'm kinda dumb.

I thought Wood was playing LG and Levitre was RG. Maybe it was the other way around. :coocoo:

Forward_Lateral
01-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Levitre is the LG. I'm assuming the RG spot will be open between Ubrik, Hang and others. Ubrik played decent when he was in there. Hang did play some RG in Carolina, I believe. Hang is a good guy to have because he can play all 3 interior line positions.

BidsJr
01-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Lots of good info in that article. Thanks for the link.

TigerJ
01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Yeah, the other way around. If Wood starts at center, I imagine Urbik starts at RG. Hangartner ends up being a utility swing guy. Has he played any tackle? He'd be a pretty valuable player if he can back up every spot.

better days
01-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Or LG?

Why? Hang is the perfect backup to have on the bench. He can back up the entire interior of the OL & injuries do happen.

k-oneputt
01-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Is he really talking about Ellison though?

Ellison barely played this year....

He could be talking about Poz and Ayodele. They were the MLBs most of the year and they were the ones that struggled in the run game.

I know many feel Poz will be re-signed but how much do you pay a LB that can't stop the run?

Now I don't think he was talking about Ellison, my example of drafting small before Nix.
I'm not a Poz fan and wouldn't pay him big money. I think he could be a decent depth guy at the right price.
I think we need at least two lbers in this draft. And it looks like Nix is loooking for some thumpers in the middle. Can't run a 3-4 w/small inside backers.

don137
01-26-2011, 08:16 AM
I took out of the article the Bills will probably go d-line with the number three pick. He said how they need to fix stopping the run. I am paraphrasing but he said You don't need to worry about stopping the pass when you cannot stop the run because teams will just run on you. This tells me d-line is much more a priority so I can see it being between Fairley, Bowers and Dareus.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-26-2011, 08:20 AM
ghz, I'm curious, where did you get that they might not address the OL at all? I didn't see a quote in there regarding that, wondering if I missed it. I'd be pretty surprised if that was actually the case.

Nix thinks the Bills enhanced their depth on the offensive line with the in-season acquisitions of Kraig Urbik, Chad Rinehart, Erik Pears and Mansfield Wrotto. All but Wrotto, due to be a free agent, are under contract.

"We picked up two third-rounders in Urbik and Rinehart, and Wrotto was a fourth-rounder. Then we got Pears who started at tackle for two years against us at Denver [when Nix was in San Diego]. We got bigger and we got better and we got younger."
My take is that Nix and Co. thought they picked up enough 3rd & 4th rounder guys who somewhat proved they can handle the positions during the past season. I don't think they are going to use 1st or 2nd round picks on O-Line this year. So you basically are going to wind up with the kind of guys they already have on the roster.

Mindbender
01-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Yeah, the other way around. If Wood starts at center, I imagine Urbik starts at RG. Hangartner ends up being a utility swing guy. Has he played any tackle? He'd be a pretty valuable player if he can back up every spot.
I was thinking Rinehart would start at RG. Didn't Chan say he wanted to get bigger and more physical up front?

better days
01-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Nix thinks the Bills enhanced their depth on the offensive line with the in-season acquisitions of Kraig Urbik, Chad Rinehart, Erik Pears and Mansfield Wrotto. All but Wrotto, due to be a free agent, are under contract.

"We picked up two third-rounders in Urbik and Rinehart, and Wrotto was a fourth-rounder. Then we got Pears who started at tackle for two years against us at Denver [when Nix was in San Diego]. We got bigger and we got better and we got younger."
My take is that Nix and Co. thought they picked up enough 3rd & 4th rounder guys who somewhat proved they can handle the positions during the past season. I don't think they are going to use 1st or 2nd round picks on O-Line this year. So you basically are going to wind up with the kind of guys they already have on the roster.

Well don't forget about free agency. Those guys are all guards except maybe Wrotto. Donald Penn OT for the Bucs who is going to the Pro Bowl should be available for one.

Patti120
01-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Didn't Chan say he wanted to get bigger and more physical up front?

I think he was talking about what he has in his pants though...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2011, 08:57 AM
its going to be run d thats most focused on. i think they want to get that out of the way asap...

sounds like dareus to me....

Night Train
01-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Hope that puts to rest the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate. Point taken but recent moves need some answers.

I can't see Kyle Williams succeeding without a big body next to him, since he's more of a 1 gap guy who slices into the backfield. Didn't the Bills just sign a 355 lb. NT to look at ? Does that mean Williams might pop out to DE in a 3-4 ?

I'm just asking. He sure can't anchor as a NT in a 3-4 set. There is a reason the Bills are rock bottom against the run and it's not all LB issues.

methos4ever
01-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Point taken but recent moves need some answers.

I can't see Kyle Williams succeeding without a big body next to him, since he's more of a 1 gap guy who slices into the backfield. Didn't the Bills just sign a 355 lb. NT to look at ? Does that mean Williams might pop out to DE in a 3-4 ?

I'm just asking. He sure can't anchor as a NT in a 3-4 set. There is a reason the Bills are rock bottom against the run and it's not all LB issues.
Night Train,
I think, especially with Nix's comments on the backers, that this article can help you understand how Kyle can live and thrive in a 3-4 without 2 gapping a majority of the time. I think the visuals are more helpful than just words, if that makes sense:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1927873/examining-multiple-defensive-fronts-featuring-kyle-williams

psubills62
01-26-2011, 09:30 AM

OK. I agreed with all your other points, but I didn't see that one in a direct quote from Nix. I can understand reading into his words like that, but I don't think it means they won't address the OL. As indicated in the paragraph itself, I think it simply means we have good depth. We still really need a couple of stud starters.

Mahdi
01-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Point taken but recent moves need some answers.

KW did his job most of the time. I don't know how many times I saw KW blow into the backfield through his blocks, re-direct the RB, only to see the RB bounce it outside with no one to contest him.

He has delayed a lot of runs but our LBs simply don't get into the backfield.

Yes KW can get knocked off the ball at times, but that is usually through a double team and that means someone else should be freed up to do their job and they don't.

We simply don't have thumpers behind KW. I don't even care about their size. Farrior is 234 pounds, but the guy is tough and strong and makes tackles at and behind the LoS.

And IMO, no, KW is not a DE. Too short. DEs playing 5-tech need to have length and height to knock down passes and obstruct the view of the QB. I do think they are considering moving Troup to DE though. He has decent height and his strength would help as a DE against the run.

bf1
01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
He'll bumble it.

Figster
01-26-2011, 09:58 AM
I was intrigued to see that we have Cam Newton on our radar. When asked about Newton,

Nix : "We've done some work on him," Nix said. "We've got two more months to go, and that'll answer all the questions."

Mahdi
01-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I was intrigued to see that we have Cam Newton on our radar. When asked about Newton,

Nix : "We've done some work on him," Nix said. "We've got two more months to go, and that'll answer all the questions."
I wouldn't put too much stock into that... Any player could have been mentioned and Nix would have said the same thing.

Newton will always be linked with us because he is arguably the best QB available.

justasportsfan
01-26-2011, 10:14 AM
I agree with what Bumbling Nix said but what he says and what he does are two different things. I do however think he'll do what he says. They thought Spiller was a franchise type of player so they grabbed him. Whether they were right is another thing and remains to be seen.

So the franchise players are........ AJ Green, Peterson , Failey?

Mahdi
01-26-2011, 10:16 AM
I agree with what Bumbling Nix said but what he says and what he does are two different things. I do however think he'll do what he says. They thought Spiller was a franchise type of player so they grabbed him. Whether they were right is another thing and remains to be seen.

I would say Peterson, Green, Fairley in that order. I put Fairley third because the other two were dominant for more that 1 year. Actually I'll slot Bowers in as equal to Fairley. Just depends what you want.

tampabay25690
01-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Why couldn't Fairley or Bowers be franchise guys?

Peterson may be the best player in the draft to be honest....
He is the ideal shut down Corner....
You can do so much with a guy with his ability......

HAMMER
01-26-2011, 10:35 AM
It will be Peterson unless he goes before our pick.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-26-2011, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock into that... Any player could have been mentioned and Nix would have said the same thing.

Newton will always be linked with us because he is arguably the best QB available.

Actually Newton is viewed as the guy with the best potential to be a franchise guy.

I'm not ruling out anything. Nix was part of the brain trust that got Rivers and sat him for 3 years.

I know Modrak was really high on Roethlisberger at the time (which I didn't then). So they must know something I don't. Then again he must've signed off on trading up and got Losman as part of the brain trust. So who knows?

Figster
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Nix could have said "We are looking at all available options to better our football team including the top rated QB's" but instead he chooses to keep Newton singled out and comments we have two months to go to answer all the questions.

Added with the comment that we will probably be going after a QB

To me, it sounds like Newton is under strong consideration and as well he should be in my opinion. (speculating)

ghz in pittsburgh
01-26-2011, 10:42 AM
OK. I agreed with all your other points, but I didn't see that one in a direct quote from Nix. I can understand reading into his words like that, but I don't think it means they won't address the OL. As indicated in the paragraph itself, I think it simply means we have good depth. We still really need a couple of stud starters.

My read is that the O-Line starters are almost set, Bell, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Wrotto. They might bring in someone to wrestle the job from Wrotto, but I doubt that person is from the draft.

psubills62
01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
My read is that the O-Line starters are almost set, Bell, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Wrotto. They might bring in someone to wrestle the job from Wrotto, but I doubt that person is from the draft.

I have little doubt we could find someone in any of the 7 rounds who could easily replace Wrotto. None of our RT's were very good last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Bell another year.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
I have little doubt we could find someone in any of the 7 rounds who could easily replace Wrotto. None of our RT's were very good last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Bell another year.

actually from what i recall, wrotto was pretty good, he might be the starter and then we look for a depth tackle later in the draft.

EDS
01-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Are there any good inside linebackers in this draft that fit the Bills needs? Seems like that is a HUGE void on this team.

If Poz is not resigned they need two starters (Davis and Ayodee are not the answer, in my opinion). I don't think two rookies is realistic, getting one good one capable of starting from day one would be a lot to ask, let alone two.

EDS
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
actually from what i recall, wrotto was pretty good, he might be the starter and then we look for a depth tackle later in the draft.

Wrotto only looked good in comparison to Green. I don't see him as starter material.

Night Train
01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
I still cringe when I see " brain trust " and " Bills " in the same sentence.

baalworship
01-26-2011, 12:00 PM
My favorite line.

"We had gotten small around there -- 225- and 230-pound linebackers -- and it's hard to stop the run with that. We gotta get bigger."

Can't wait for some real NFL sized linebackers that can play.

DraftBoy
01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Glad to see we are sticking with the 3-4, though the Wanny hiring makes less sense now.

Oh well, good read!

Jeff1220
01-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah, but how does Wang fit into it all?

Joe Fo Sho
01-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah, but how does Wang fit into it all?

Just spit on him, he'll fit anywhere.

Mahdi
01-26-2011, 12:17 PM
I'll tell you what, I have a feeling Nix and Gailey are not convinced with Levitre. I think they want a stronger cat playing LG. Levitre has not been a great run blocker since being drafted. He is consistent and a good pass protector but Nix wants to mash it up inside and I think he likes Wood and Urbik as the C and RG and Bell at LT.

Other that those 3 I think he would like to get a masher at LG and another at RT so we can run the ball consistently.

I expect they will dip into the OT group with their second pick since the OTs this year are not a spectacular group one should be available at the top of the 2nd round that represents good value.

Stewie
01-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Wood going to center is good.

The rest of it has to be measured with the pre-draft microscope, and therefore everything is BS until the draft is over.

Bangarang
01-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Nix could have said "We are looking at all available options to better our football team including the top rated QB's" but instead he chooses to keep Newton singled out and comments we have two months to go to answer all the questions.

Added with the comment that we will probably be going after a QB

To me, it sounds like Newton is under strong consideration and as well he should be in my opinion. (speculating)

Maybe Nix is throwing Newton's name around to make other GM's think that we're really interested in him. Thus making other teams desperate for a QB think about trading up with us.

This is not his first rodeo. There's a method to his madness.

Figster
01-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Maybe Nix is throwing Newton's name around to make other GM's think that we're really interested in him. Thus making other teams desperate for a QB think about trading up with us.

This is not his first rodeo. There's a method to his madness.

Or maybe the Bills have a genuine interest in Newton which in my opinion they should and probably do, but time will tell...

better days
01-26-2011, 12:56 PM

I have to admit I have never seen Green play but I don't see a 4.49 speed WR as a franchise player & yes I know about Jerry Rice. I doubt Green is another Rice.

methos4ever
01-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Glad to see we are sticking with the 3-4, though the Wanny hiring makes less sense now.

Oh well, good read!
Well DB one thing Coach W can do is to make sure that those backers are lined up where they need to be. To him, it mentally can be the same as coaching up guys in a 4-3 Under.

justasportsfan
01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
I have to admit I have never seen Green play but I don't see a 4.49 speed WR as a franchise player & yes I know about Jerry Rice. I doubt Green is another Rice.
there will never be another Rice.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Oh well, good read!

Why, good coaches no football reguardless of scheme. This is the same scenario when San Diego hired Rivera (to the same role actually).

madness
01-26-2011, 02:29 PM

It's not all about 40 times.... Green has been compared to have the agility of Santana Moss... someone 5 inches shorter.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2011, 02:47 PM
wanny had great success coaching young lbs in dallas with robert jones, godfrey myles, dixon edwards, darrin smith...etc

i think buffalo drafts at least 2 ilb in this draft....

justasportsfan
01-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Colston 4.55 , if I'm correct Chad and TO's 40's were in the 4.40ish

ghz in pittsburgh
01-26-2011, 03:08 PM
I'll tell you what, I have a feeling Nix and Gailey are not convinced with Levitre. I think they want a stronger cat playing LG. Levitre has not been a great run blocker since being drafted. He is consistent and a good pass protector but Nix wants to mash it up inside and I think he likes Wood and Urbik as the C and RG and Bell at LT.

Other that those 3 I think he would like to get a masher at LG and another at RT so we can run the ball consistently.

I expect they will dip into the OT group with their second pick since the OTs this year are not a spectacular group one should be available at the top of the 2nd round that represents good value.

Somewhere I get the feeling that we are picking the best player @#3, then a QB 2nd round. Nix said they are going to come out this draft with a QB, and I don't think it's going to be Levi Brown kind of guy this time. They waited a year for this guy.

X-Era
01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
My take away's:

1) QB is very much in play at 3 but it has to be a guy worthy of the pick. And Nix eluded to the fact that their ranks are not set yet as far as that goes.

2) Bigger and stronger on the defense means we shouldn't be thinking about undersized guys in the draft or FA... they aren't likely to go that route. Guys like Phil Taylor and Kenrick Ellis come to mind. A guy like Soliai may be more in play than some think.

3) Don't look for a high round RT draftee. I'm a bit perplexed at this one. None of the guys we have looked great.

4) Wood to center means we need a G. It could be one of the guys we brought in. Between RT and RG it seems like more of the same. I'm a bit surprised.

5) I love this quote because these statements were made by some right here on this board.

"People said when we picked him up on waivers, he'll never play a down there, he will not sign with Buffalo, he doesn't like Buffalo, you can't sign him. But we did," Nix said. "He can be the catalyst that makes everybody else better on that side of the ball -- if he can get healthy."

better days
01-26-2011, 05:33 PM
It's not all about 40 times.... Green has been compared to have the agility of Santana Moss... someone 5 inches shorter.

I don't know about today, but I'm pretty sure when Moss was drafted he ran a sub 4.40.

I just checked he ran 4.31 before the draft.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
I disagree with you guys. i think wrotto looked slightly above avg. he shut down cameron wake... just sayin...

Extremebillsfan247
01-26-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't think they will address Oline either after what Nix stated. He seems pretty content with what the Bills have. There may be some switching, I mean we could potentially get replacements for guys like Hangartner, and Wrotto if he gets picked up by another team via free agency. But it seems pretty clear that the Oline wont be changing much from here on out. JMO

YardRat
01-26-2011, 06:23 PM

I know it's partially a popularity contest, but KW played well enough to raise eyebrows and gather some accolades around the league. I'd like a bigger anchor also, but Williams is certainly no slouch.

The way I read it, he was specifically asked about Newton and didn't really go out of his way to single him out. I'm sure the answer would've been the same if he were asked about Mallett, Locker, Gabbert etc.

I still maintain it was a 'good ol' boy' hiring. Gailey is just returning the favor for Wanny hiring him as OC. We're a stepping stone, just to keep the Stache employed and in the league loop. Still not expecting much from him.

At one point last season the Bills led the entire league in yards per attempt, running to the left. I think Levitre is doing something right.

"...if he can get healthy."
That's the key. I would have been more confident if Nix had indicated that he fully expected Merriman to get healthy.

But it seems pretty clear that the Oline wont be changing much from here on out. JMO
Hope not...we need a tackle pretty badly. If it's an RT, I'll live with Bell for another season. I still think we'd be better with somebody else at LT and move Bell to the right side.

psubills62
01-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Not sure what some people are smoking. We used a whole bunch of subpar RT's throughout the season. You don't think that their constantly moving guys around wasn't a sign that we needed someone there? I sure hope Nix and Gailey know we need an RT, and another OG would be nice. A stud LT would be another useful addition.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Not sure what some people are smoking. We used a whole bunch of subpar RT's throughout the season. You don't think that their constantly moving guys around wasn't a sign that we needed someone there? I sure hope Nix and Gailey know we need an RT, and another OG would be nice. A stud LT would be another useful addition.

did you actually see the oline once fitz was qb and wrotto stepped in. they looked above avg. they looked good. keep this group!

psubills62
01-26-2011, 08:11 PM
did you actually see the oline once fitz was qb and wrotto stepped in. they looked above avg. they looked good. keep this group!

They really didn't look that good. They used some interesting blocking schemes to help prevent sacks. Our running game was very sub-par. I'm find with Wood, and somewhat Levitre. The rest could stand to be upgraded at any point.

Turf
01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
If they draft a CB third overall I'm done with the team until they get a new owner. There obviously will be no hope.

Mahdi
01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Definitely need a RT. I think if we pass on a T in the second we get one in the third. A real masher.