PDA

View Full Version : Umm, NHL can You add a Buffalo Player to the All Star Selection, Please.

SkateZilla
01-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Even with the team playing half arse every night and al the crap surrounding our team, but jeez, a player gets injured or backs out, and they fill them with Players, Not that I don’t disagree with their selections for Replacements, (ie Briere and Skinner), but as they noted in the Article about Skinner, he has more points than about 6 of the all star forwards, umm Ok, Vanek has more points than all of the players on that list as well as Skinner…. So whats the malfunction here…..

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
No, leave them out. They need the rest.

OpIv37
01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Im ok with the NHL's "no underacheivers in the All Star Game" policy.

Vanek doesn't deserve to be there just because he make more than almost everyone else who is there.

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Vanek doesn't deserve to be there just because he make more than almost everyone else who is there.

By your logic, Ovechkin should probably be left out too. He's had a down year for sure.

chernobylwraiths
01-26-2011, 11:47 AM

:groan:

OpIv37
01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
By your logic, Ovechkin should probably be left out too. He's had a down year for sure.
He's 9th in the league in points. It's a down year by his personal standards but still a good year by league standards.

Vaneks been in a sophomore slump for 4 years.

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 11:57 AM
He's 9th in the league in points. It's a down year by his personal standards but still a good year by league standards.

Vaneks been in a sophomore slump for 4 years.

Vanek is only 10pts behind him, and one in the goal department.

OpIv37
01-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Vanek is only 10pts behind him, and one in the goal department.
Vanek is 34th in points. That means there are 25 players between him and Vanek, and I guarantee that not all of them are invited to the All Star Game. And I guarantee that most of them make less money and have lower expectations put on them than Vanek does.

Ovechkin had half a season where he didnt live up to his billing as the best player in the world. He has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Vanek has underacheived since he no longer had Briereand Drury to take the pressure off. He hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt. Or an all star spot. Or his paycheck.

trapezeus
01-26-2011, 12:11 PM
i'm cool with all the sabres getting rest. miller has been the only real all-star on the sabres and if he got in this year, it would have been reputation only. The guy has been playing every game after a groin injury after a season where he played most of the games including a long run in the olympics.

Everyone needs the rest. I don't even want to get into the vanek contract $ vs expectation discussion.

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Vanek is 34th in points. That means there are 25 players between him and Vanek, and I guarantee that not all of them are invited to the All Star Game. And I guarantee that most of them make less money and have lower expectations put on them than Vanek does.

Ovechkin had half a season where he didnt live up to his billing as the best player in the world. He has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Vanek has underacheived since he no longer had Briereand Drury to take the pressure off. He hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt. Or an all star spot. Or his paycheck.

I'm glad Vanek isn't in the all-star game so don't take this is as arguing that he should be, but Vanek has been good this season for the most part. I know he hasn't lived up to his paycheck, but do you realize who is linemates are? Give him a true #1 center and another solid winger and I guarantee his production goes up a ton.

trapezeus
01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
either that or get vanek a true number 1 line and let him slide back to being an overproductive #2 winger.

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 12:30 PM
either that or get vanek a true number 1 line and let him slide back to being an overproductive #2 winger.

Nah, with the amount he makes he needs to be on the #1 line. I really think if he had a Spezza type playing C and someone better than Pominville playing on the other side he'd be fine and the least of our concerns.

Roy, Pominville, and Stafford is a solid #2 line. This team lacks a #1. They could in my opinoin add two #1 guys and be a much different looking team.

SkateZilla
01-26-2011, 12:46 PM
No, leave them out. They need the rest.

Well when you put it that way..... :usflag:

chernobylwraiths
01-26-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm glad Vanek isn't in the all-star game so don't take this is as arguing that he should be, but Vanek has been good this season for the most part. I know he hasn't lived up to his paycheck, but do you realize who is linemates are? Give him a true #1 center and another solid winger and I guarantee his production goes up a ton.

No, Vanek should be able to do it all by himself. He should be blocking shots for Miller because he makes more than him too.

Electrici
01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
None of them deserve to be invited. Ennis for the rookie thing is fine.

SabreEleven
01-26-2011, 04:57 PM
None of them deserve to be invited. Ennis for the rookie thing is fine.

This

JD
01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
You can't really blame Vanek, Op. Just blame the guys up top. He was never a 8 million per player to begin with but our failure of an organization chose to shell out that money instead of 3- 1st rounders. It's ridiculous for people to see Vaneks numbers and then say "WTF, he makes so much a year..why can't he perform!!?".

OpIv37
01-26-2011, 07:12 PM
No, Vanek should be able to do it all by himself. He should be blocking shots for Miller because he makes more than him too.

you obviously still don't get it.

When it comes to salary vs production, Vanek is one of the worst in the league. The only obvious one that's worse than him is Kovalchuk.

Now, you can sit there and say "Well, it's not Vanek's fault that the FO decided to pay him so much," which is true, but it's also a gross oversimplification of the issue.

First, that logic is stupid. I got hired as a mid-level analyst with the expectation that I would grow into a senior level analyst. Now, if I only do the work of a junior level analyst, it's MY fault, not my manager's fault for making a bad hiring decision.

Second, it's the same as the Whiter argument. The Bills can't go back in time and pick someone else. The Sabres can't go back in time and let Vanek walk, and because NHL contracts are guaranteed, they also can't cut him and make up for a past mistake.

So, with $6.5 million a year (which, btw, is enough for one above average player and one 2nd liner) tied up in Vanek, there is only one way for the Sabres to win: He has to play up to the contract. If he doesn't the Sabres lose.

SabreEleven
01-26-2011, 09:40 PM
you obviously still don't get it.

When it comes to salary vs production, Vanek is one of the worst in the league. The only obvious one that's worse than him is Kovalchuk.

Now, you can sit there and say "Well, it's not Vanek's fault that the FO decided to pay him so much," which is true, but it's also a gross oversimplification of the issue.

First, that logic is stupid. I got hired as a mid-level analyst with the expectation that I would grow into a senior level analyst. Now, if I only do the work of a junior level analyst, it's MY fault, not my manager's fault for making a bad hiring decision.

Second, it's the same as the Whiter argument. The Bills can't go back in time and pick someone else. The Sabres can't go back in time and let Vanek walk, and because NHL contracts are guaranteed, they also can't cut him and make up for a past mistake.

So, with $6.5 million a year (which, btw, is enough for one above average player and one 2nd liner) tied up in Vanek, there is only one way for the Sabres to win: He has to play up to the contract. If he doesn't the Sabres lose.

Which they have been do plenty of ever since he signed that thing.