PDA

View Full Version : Lombardi speculates on Vince Young in Buffalo

Don't Panic
01-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Video link... cue it to 1:15 for the VY talk.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81de5c06/QBs-for-sale?module=HP_video

I agree that Gailey could make good use of him, but would he and Nix want to? And at what cost (financial and compensation)? I'd say pass, but I can see why we're going to be talked about as a rumored destination.

The King
01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
The mental issues are the issue not the ability.

justasportsfan
01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
if the FO is high on character like they seem to say, I doubt they take Young.

tampabay25690
01-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I have been hearing his name going to B-LO for over a week now.
I think this may be a perfect fit for the type of QB that Chan is looking for.
I think VY needs a new home and has all the ability in the world and would be nice to see him and FITZ fight for the #1 spot......

tampabay25690
01-26-2011, 01:21 PM
if the FO is high on character like they seem to say, I doubt they take Young.

He had some issues but has talent.
People do change..

justasportsfan
01-26-2011, 01:23 PM
He had some issues but has talent.
People do change..
you meant people CAN change.

EDS
01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Mentally fragile is not a trait I want in my QB.

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
this report can kiss my ass. I want nothing to do with VY in Buffalo.

Forward_Lateral
01-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Please. God. No.

Mahdi
01-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Again, same exact situation with people laughing at the idea of Vick coming to Buffalo for an assortment of reasons:

He's a bad person, he's not a good QB, will be rusty out of prison, won't be able to run the same etc etc etc.

How bout you give things a chance and see.

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Again, same exact situation with people laughing at the idea of Vick coming to Buffalo for an assortment of reasons:

He's a bad person, he's not a good QB, will be rusty out of prison, won't be able to run the same etc etc etc.

Totally different situation in my eyes. VY is an *******. People's issue with Vick was him being a felon.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
What's his record as starter?

Beebe's Kid
Totally different situation in my eyes. VY is an *******. People's issue with Vick was him being a felon.
Young is sick...there's a difference. Not that I care to ever talk about it again, but I thing killing dogs with your bare hands would qualify for ******* status faster that mental illness. The latter can be cured with medicine...the former I'm not so sure can be cured.

Bangarang

People won't care if VY steals from old ladies and pushes children off of swing sets as long as he wins us football games. Just like people didn't care that Vick tortured helpless animals because he was running fast and playing well in Philly.

Prov401
01-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Please. God. No.

Please. God. I want to stay as far away from QB's who have 30-17 records, an incline in QB rating every single year, and especially far away from a guy who has won and gotten into the playoffs without any play makers at receiver.

The guy has won in this league. He has never had an opportunity to play for someone who believes and trusts his abilities. Personally, I'd welcome VY to Buffalo with open arms. I think Chan will get the most out of him, and he will finally have some good receivers to throw to. Better than wasting a pick on one of these QB's in the draft IMO.

Of course, wait til he gets cut.

Don't Panic
01-26-2011, 01:37 PM
In five years, he has never had a 3000 yard season. No matter what you think of him off the field, you have to be at least a bit concerned about that on the field. If OBD bites, I hope it is for zero trade compensation and on a performance-based financial deal. Even then, I'm not so sure he beats out Fitz for the starter's spot.

Prov401
01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
What's his record as starter?

30-17

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 01:39 PM
I forgot. Apparently a QB's win/loss record indicates how good he is and that's the end of the discussion.

How is VY better than Fitz? Worse arm? Faster? I don't get it. I don't see how this would be a significant improvement at all.

justasportsfan
01-26-2011, 01:39 PM
his feelings will be hurt if Gaileys goes with Fitz since Gailey likes Fitz

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Young is sick...there's a difference. Not that I care to ever talk about it again, but I thing killing dogs with your bare hands would qualify for ******* status faster that mental illness. The latter can be cured with medicine...the former I'm not so sure can be cured.

It can be cured by going bankrupt and spending time in prison, which appears to be the case with Vick.

I was unaware they made medicine for *******s that are cancers to a team. News to me.

Bangarang
01-26-2011, 01:45 PM
In five years, he has never had a 3000 yard season. No matter what you think of him off the field, you have to be at least a bit concerned about that on the field. If OBD bites, I hope it is for zero trade compensation and on a performance-based financial deal. Even then, I'm not so sure he beats out Fitz for the starter's spot.

Wouldn't Chris Johnson carrying the ball 30 times a game mean less passing plays for VY?

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Wouldn't Chris Johnson carrying the ball 30 times a game mean less passing plays for VY?

Wouldn't CJ running the ball that many times also result in wins, that VY is now all of a sudden being credited with like it was all him?

Ingtar33
01-26-2011, 01:47 PM
young is not a player i'd want on my football team, for totally different reasons then vick

Young doesn't seem to have the work ethic to be elite. he seems to believe himself entitled to accolade and praise... entitled to a starting position. those are bad things to have in your QB.

To compare young to vick is an insult to young. for all of young's faults at least he isn't a dog killer/sociopath/felon.

Bangarang
01-26-2011, 01:49 PM
I forgot. Apparently a QB's win/loss record indicates how good he is and that's the end of the discussion.

How is VY better than Fitz? Worse arm? Faster? I don't get it. I don't see how this would be a significant improvement at all.

A win/loss record gives you an indication of a QB's ability. It certainly doesn't tell the entire story.

How is VY better than Fitz? Much, much, stronger arm. Much, much faster. Much, much stronger. Fitz's only questionable strength over VY is his ability to read a defense. I say questionable because I haven't followed VY or the Titans and couldn't tell you how well VY is at reading a defense and making changes at the line.

I don't want VY on this team. In fact, I'd rather take my chances with a rookie QB. But I see a ton of blind hate for him (not necessarily from here, just in general)

PromoTheRobot
01-26-2011, 01:52 PM
It's a long off-season and reporters have to find something to fill the void. Yawn.

PTR

Don't Panic
01-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Having Chris Johnson should make getting to 3000 yards that much easier. A good running game opens up the passing game. BTW... Chris Johnson has averaged less than 20 carries a game over the course of his three year career.

Ingtar33
01-26-2011, 01:57 PM
vince young is also very injury prone. i just don't like the guy as a qb on my team.

Joe Fo Sho
01-26-2011, 02:11 PM
young is not a player i'd want on my football team, for totally different reasons then vick

Young doesn't seem to have the work ethic to be elite. he seems to believe himself entitled to accolade and praise... entitled to a starting position. those are bad things to have in your QB.

To compare young to vick is an insult to young. for all of young's faults at least he isn't a dog killer/sociopath/felon.

And to compare Young to Vick's QB ability is an insult to Vick.

ddaryl
01-26-2011, 02:20 PM
we won't even sniff at it.

We'll stick with Fitz before bringing in another vet... and we'll stick with Fitz if we bring in a rookie too.

Forward_Lateral
01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
A win/loss record gives you an indication of a QB's ability. It certainly doesn't tell the entire story.

How is VY better than Fitz? Much, much, stronger arm. Much, much faster. Much, much stronger. Fitz's only questionable strength over VY is his ability to read a defense. I say questionable because I haven't followed VY or the Titans and couldn't tell you how well VY is at reading a defense and making changes at the line.

I don't want VY on this team. In fact, I'd rather take my chances with a rookie QB. But I see a ton of blind hate for him (not necessarily from here, just in general)

Blind hate? Really? Leaving his team AWOL a few seasons ago and threatening to kill himself is one reason. Reason 2 is his antics this past season. If those two things don't show you what kind of a leader and person Vince Young isn't, I don't know what will.
He's a head case, and has no heart, plain and simple.

RockStar36
01-26-2011, 02:45 PM
If win/loss record was a pure indication of how good he is, the Titans wouldn't be cutting ties with him. The Titans wouldn't have had a meeting with their head coach where the coach basically said it's me or the QB. These are real issues with VY. It's not all about a stupid win/loss record.

Philagape
01-26-2011, 02:54 PM
30-17

I didn't know he was a tennis player.

Whatever people say about what he's done in the past, the fact is that he is practically unemployed. There's a reason for that. He hurt his team more than helped it, and not just once. He's had multiple episodes, and someone like that is a cancer.

Philagape
01-26-2011, 02:56 PM
And there is no comparison to Vick.

Vick's problems were never related to his heart, his commitment to team, or his football integrity.

trapezeus
01-26-2011, 02:58 PM
unless there is some "have a baby in the locker room" quota that i'm not aware of, we really don't need VY. If there is, we are losing whitner and VY may be just the fit.

THATHURMANATOR
01-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Rather have fitz

Johnny Bugmenot
01-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I didn't know he was a tennis player.

Whatever people say about what he's done in the past, the fact is that he is practically unemployed. There's a reason for that. He hurt his team more than helped it, and not just once. He's had multiple episodes, and someone like that is a cancer.
So you oppose Vince Young.

You opposed Brian Brohm.

Who, pray tell, do you recommend, o omnipotent one?

THATHURMANATOR
01-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Well as a backup sure I would take him.

Philagape
01-26-2011, 04:09 PM
So you oppose Vince Young.

You opposed Brian Brohm.

Who, pray tell, do you recommend, o omnipotent one?

Brian Brohm??? :rofl:
Opposing Brian Brohm certainly doesn't require omniscience (I think that's the word you meant). The day he's on the field when his team scores a touchdown in the NFL is the day he can enter a conversation. Hasn't happened yet.

Ask me nicely, perhaps with some substance, and I might answer.

Crisis
01-26-2011, 04:11 PM
people talk about his record as a starter, but an aging kerry collins managed to go what 13-3 with the same team?

Mr. Miyagi
01-26-2011, 04:17 PM
I hate how the media treats Buffalo as the NFL's Siberia. Anytime there's a guy who nobody wants, sure he could end up in Buffalo.

F Lombardi.

YardRat
01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
I can understand Buffalo's name being mentioned last off-season whenever any QB's name came up, but even though Fitz may not be a long term answer he at least played well enough to give us a pass on being brought into the converstion for everybody.

There are teams now that are in worse position at QB than we are...let them take some of the speculation instead.

Mr. Miyagi
01-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Lombardi does this **** all the time.

He, John Clayton, and Mortensen. I hate them all.

tampabay25690
01-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Whats wrong with both of them on our team??

Philagape
01-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Whats wrong with both of them on our team??

Ask Jeff Fisher

tampabay25690
01-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Think about it we rooted for Travis Henry when he was in B-LO and he only slept with underage girls......
We rooted on Marshawn Lynch and he ran a girl over...

VY has had his issues but if the guy came to B-LO we would root him on if we are winning.........

or would we rather take a chance on a QB in the draft that may never do anything but hold a clip board his career.....

tampabay25690
01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Ask Jeff Fisher

You have his phone number?????
You ever been so pissed of at a job that you didn't care????

The thing is the guy was young and immature...
Maybe he learned his lesson and wants another chance.........
I don't know...
The thing is are opinion means nothing.........

Philagape
01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Think about it we rooted for Travis Henry when he was in B-LO and he only slept with underage girls......

VY has had his issues but if the guy came to B-LO we would root him on if we are winning.........

or would we rather take a chance on a QB in the draft that may never do anything but hold a clip board his career.....

So you're saying they should never draft a QB again.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2011, 04:44 PM

Simple, some QB's are winners, some are losers. I'd rather have a winner, I am tired of losers.

tampabay25690
01-26-2011, 04:49 PM
So you're saying they should never draft a QB again.

Didn't say that.........
Would u take a chance on a QB in this draft.
To be quite honest I don't think there is a QB in this draft even worth a 1st round grade....

**** we can go back and forth but at the end our opinions mean SQUAT...

Extremebillsfan247
01-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Video link... cue it to 1:15 for the VY talk.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81de5c06/QBs-for-sale?module=HP_video

I agree that Gailey could make good use of him, but would he and Nix want to? And at what cost (financial and compensation)? I'd say pass, but I can see why we're going to be talked about as a rumored destination.
Here's my question, would he be any better than Fitzpatrick at this point? If he cant do a better job than Fitz, than I don't see the point. The emphasis here should always be improvement, not a step back, or something that will end with the same results. If we are going to replace Fitzpatrick, it has to be a QB who is with out a doubt a superior QB or it would be nothing more than a waste of time. JMO

EDS
01-26-2011, 05:11 PM

There is no excuse for players being dirtbags or losers, and it certaintly makes it harder to cheer them on - at least that is the case for me. That said, I do see a distinction between a team sticking with a guy who comes in with a clean record and then tarnishes it, versus bringing in a guy that is known to have problems.

Rapelisberger is a good example. More valuable to Pittsburgh then any other team.

Philagape
01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
To be quite honest I don't think there is a QB in this draft even worth a 1st round grade....

Neither do I, at least not at 3

cpearl
01-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Fragile? Sounds italian.

Extremebillsfan247
01-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Here is something else to consider. A lot of fans here stress heavily on the need for this team to get a franchise QB. We all know Fitz doesn't fit in that bracket. But there is a lot of doubt that Young belongs in that bracket also. If Young were franchise material, we wouldn't be having this conversation because he would still be the Titans starting QB. I don't see him coming to Buffalo as an improvement over what we already have at the position. We can and must do better than that. JMO.

cgbm
01-26-2011, 06:27 PM
yea this is what we need in b-lo. a guy that may commit suicide at any moment.

cgbm
01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Here is something else to consider. A lot of fans here stress heavily on the need for this team to get a franchise QB. We all know Fitz doesn't fit in that bracket. But there is a lot of doubt that Young belongs in that bracket also. If Young were franchise material, we wouldn't be having this conversation because he would still be the Titans starting QB. I don't see him coming to Buffalo as an improvement over what we already have at the position. We can and must do better than that. JMO.

could not agree with you more. i think with vinces name in the mix. he adds the legs ability. why wouldnt we just hit it in the draft with cam newton. vince young is a proven flop. HORRIBLE move in my mind

Mr. Pink
01-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Would take him over what we have currently, no questions asked.

All this guy has done in college and the NFL is win football games. It may not be prototypical pretty but it gets the job done.

Getting the job done on the football field is all I care about. Fitz would be a more than capable backup.

TrEd FTW
01-26-2011, 09:19 PM
I'd take Young, but I also don't remember Lombardi ever being right about anything. Sigh.

warsawbassman
01-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Maybe Talley will pick him up at the airport

Night Train
01-27-2011, 03:08 AM
He'll wind up in QB desperate Miami

better days
01-27-2011, 07:29 AM
I can understand Buffalo's name being mentioned last off-season whenever any QB's name came up, but even though Fitz may not be a long term answer he at least played well enough to give us a pass on being brought into the converstion for everybody.

There are teams now that are in worse position at QB than we are...let them take some of the speculation instead.

At the Senior Bowl yesterday, Chan said he has been to the playoffs with QB's that aren't as good as Fitz. He did say however, if a Franchise QB is there you have to take him in the draft.

jamze132
01-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Except for a Whitner re-signing.

RockStar36
01-27-2011, 08:48 AM
If people are so hell bent on taking a risk of bringing in an immature QB, why not just draft a guy?

Mr. Pink
01-27-2011, 08:57 AM
If people are so hell bent on taking a risk of bringing in an immature QB, why not just draft a guy?

Difference is VY has had some success in this league.

You can still draft a 4th round prospect like say Ponder and have him 3rd string for the time being to learn.

Have Fitz and VY fight it out for the top spot. Have Ponder learn how to run a spread type NFL offense from VY and the mental part of the game from Fitz.

Fitz likely goes elsewhere after next offseason and you have VY and Ponder fighting it out for the starting job. Hoping that Ponder learned something from both the previous year.

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 09:01 AM
I really wouldn't worry about it. Does anyone really think Ralph will step up an bring VY in ?
Just like Vick was rumored and McNabb was rumored.

RockStar36
01-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Difference is VY has had some success in this league.

You can still draft a 4th round prospect like say Ponder and have him 3rd string for the time being to learn.

Have Fitz and VY fight it out for the top spot. Have Ponder learn how to run a spread type NFL offense from VY and the mental part of the game from Fitz.

Fitz likely goes elsewhere after next offseason and you have VY and Ponder fighting it out for the starting job. Hoping that Ponder learned something from both the previous year.

My only issue with that scenario is VY has shown to be a problem when he doesn't get his way.

Otherwise I'd be all for this. I'd rather take a chance on Kolb to be honest.

Philagape
01-27-2011, 09:07 AM
I guess Jeff Fisher and the Titans just don't want to win. Fools.

Mr. Pink
01-27-2011, 09:11 AM
My only issue with that scenario is VY has shown to be a problem when he doesn't get his way.

Otherwise I'd be all for this. I'd rather take a chance on Kolb to be honest.

VY at this point is little risk/high reward.

He isn't gonna get big money and needs his next stop to prove himself worthy of being a top QB in this league.

If he's about rehabbing his image, we can get a franchise level type QB...if not we just cut his ass and no big loss.

Besides, who's better on the field VY and Brohm?

Beebe's Kid
01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
It can be cured by going bankrupt and spending time in prison, which appears to be the case with Vick.

I was unaware they made medicine for *******s that are cancers to a team. News to me.

Wow...

If you possess the ability to kill dogs with your bare hands, that is not something you lose. Vick is not stupid, so he knows that if he wants to make millions of dollars, again, all he needs to do is act like he is all fixed and understands what he did.

Vince Young could, potentially dot he exact same thing. He, also, could seek professional help for the mental illness which is responsible for his being an *******. I don't know if you have ever had any experience with this kind of thing, but I can almost guarantee that VY doesn't want to be an *******, and probably goes through severe periods of remorse after his "episodes."

If you want to talk about a cancer to a team...maybe we should discuss Jeff Fisher. I don't know why he is viewed as the second coming, when he doesn't win, and openly feuds with players, and just seems like a real **********.

The difference is that VY feels genuine remorse, and Vick was "sorry" because he got caught. He would still be killing dogs with his bare hands, if he hadn't gotten caught. If you think he is "cured" because he went to jail, and because he says he is...ok. I don't buy it.

I don't expect you to agree of see this the way I am, so I'll agree to disagree, but Vick was an ******* and a cancer before he got caught killing animals, and if you think he can be reformed, maybe VY has a chance.

I don't even want Young, so I guess it doesn't really matter. It is just funny how everybody is back to sucking Vick's dick.

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
I would be all for bringing VY in, but it won't happen.

RockStar36
01-27-2011, 09:28 AM
VY at this point is little risk/high reward.

He isn't gonna get big money and needs his next stop to prove himself worthy of being a top QB in this league.

If he's about rehabbing his image, we can get a franchise level type QB...if not we just cut his ass and no big loss.

Besides, who's better on the field VY and Brohm?

Obviously he is better than Brohm. That isn't the point. I don't think bringing him in to compete with Fitz is a good job. He showed that he doesn't handle competition well when he loses and this team doesn't need that right now.

HAMMER
01-27-2011, 09:57 AM

WTF? An ******* w/o a felony is worse than a felon that kills dogs for fun?

RockStar36
01-27-2011, 10:00 AM
WTF? An ******* w/o a felony is worse than a felon that kills dogs for fun?

No.

What I was saying is it is two different reasons for not wanting VY and not wanting Vick.

HAMMER
01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
I think everyone is making VY out to be much worse a problem than he is. Not saying I want him, but the guy has won a LOT of games at the highest levels of football. To even begin to compare him (as a person) to Vick is a joke. Vick is morally depraved (senseless slaughtering of dogs) and an azzhat (flipping off his own fans comes to mind). VY has acted immaturely but nothing he has done even comes close to Vicks behavior.

cocamide
01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Please god, no.

better days
01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
I think everyone is making VY out to be much worse a problem than he is. Not saying I want him, but the guy has won a LOT of games at the highest levels of football. To even begin to compare him (as a person) to Vick is a joke. Vick is morally depraved (senseless slaughtering of dogs) and an azzhat (flipping off his own fans comes to mind). VY has acted immaturely but nothing he has done even comes close to Vicks behavior.

I'm not a Vick fan, but I don't agree that Youngs behavior is any better than Vicks. Aside from killing dogs, Young is every bit as big an ass as Vick, maybe moreso. I don't remember Vick having problems with Coaches or players on his team.

patmoran2006
01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
this report can kiss my ass. I want nothing to do with VY in Buffalo.

I really don't think you're going to have to worry about it.. If they bring someone into the mix to challenge Fitz, I'd be utterly shocked if its not a rookie, whether its the 3rd pick or a 4th rounder.

Historian
01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Haven't we had enough guys who cry at the thought of training camp?