PDA

View Full Version : BN: Bills keep their faith in Modrak

Johnny Bugmenot
01-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Wilson says scout chief shoulders unfair blame (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article324785.ece)
by Mark Gaughan, The Buffalo News

The Buffalo Bills' lack of success in the NFL draft this decade has made Tom Modrak a target of fan discontent.

Yet the Bills' vice president of college scouting is representing the Bills for a 10th straight year at the Senior Bowl this week, and his 34 years of NFL experience remains a valued asset within the team.

How has Modrak survived as the Bills' playoff drought has reached 11 years? Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. says it's hard to lay a big share of the blame on Modrak when he has not had the final say on draft choices.

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 07:55 AM
He's still the guy who had Whitner and Maybin near the middle of his 1st rd draft board whether he made the final call or not. He gets some of the blame.

Or he had them two somewhere in the 3rd or 4th rd and they over reached but I can't believe even Jauron would go that far.

Beebe's Kid
01-27-2011, 08:10 AM
He's still the guy who had Whitner and Maybin near the middle of his 1st rd draft board whether he made the final call or not. He gets some of the blame.

Or he had them two somewhere in the 3rd or 4th rd and they over reached but I can't believe even Jauron would go that far.

Do you believe Ralph would stretch that far?

I don't know why this is so mystifying to so many people, especially people that talk (read: complain) about it every ****ing day of their lives.

Do you honestly think anybody would keep Modrak around if the consistent busts were all his choice? I am pretty sure they would be looking for a scapegoat, and since Modrak hasn't been fired, maybe the guy that pulled the trigger is the one guy you can't fire.

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 08:18 AM
He still evaluated the players and had them ranked as 1st rounders, when it is obvious to everyone [ except maybe you } that they were nowhere near 1st rd. ability.

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 08:19 AM
As for Ralph lets not even go there. He has f'd up his front office hire for 50 yrs outside of Polian.

ddaryl
01-27-2011, 08:27 AM
As for Ralph lets not even go there. He has f'd up his front office hire for 50 yrs outside of Polian.

well I doubt anyone can or would defend Ralph's personel choices overall... but there is enough info out there to say that Modrak really hasn't been the one pulling the trigger on our players.

I would also state that the 1st rd players that busted for us were also high on other teams lists as well.. but for whatever reason we pull the trigger faster. So blaming Modrak for that probably isn't worth canning his 34 years of experience, knowing that he really hasn''t had a GM to work with for much of his years with the Bills outside of Donahue.

OpIv37
01-27-2011, 08:31 AM

I don't know why this is so mystifying to so many people, especially people that talk (read: complain) about it every ****ing day of their lives.

Do you honestly think anybody would keep Modrak around if the consistent busts were all his choice? I am pretty sure they would be looking for a scapegoat, and since Modrak hasn't been fired, maybe the guy that pulled the trigger is the one guy you can't fire.

In this team's struggles going back 10+ years, there are only two consistent pieces: Modrak and Ralph. It has to be one or both.

The only reason I'd disagree: why would they keep their faith in him if he doesn't have final say and they don't listen to him anyway? If it is his fault, he should be fired, and if it's not his fault, then they're not listening to him, so he's irrelevant. What difference would it make if he's here or not?

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 08:32 AM
I never said he was calling the final shot, but he has to catch some of the heat if he is the guy putting the draft board in front of dumb and dumber to make the picks.

bigbub2352
01-27-2011, 08:38 AM
defiinition of madness

jamze132
01-27-2011, 08:40 AM
I never said he was calling the final shot, but he has to catch some of the heat if he is the guy putting the draft board in front of dumb and dumber to make the picks.
How do you know he actually put Whitner and Maybin that high on the draft board? Maybe he had them as mid to low 1st rd's like just about every other team? Maybe Dicknose **** his pants when Michael Huff (bust) was taken by Oakland in front of us and he reached for Whitner? Can't blame Modrak for that. and I highly doubt Modrak had Maybin ranked that high. If he did, he wouldn't have been retained by Nix.

SquishDaFish
01-27-2011, 08:43 AM
He still evaluated the players and had them ranked as 1st rounders, when it is obvious to everyone [ except maybe you } that they were nowhere near 1st rd. ability.

Sorry to say but everyone I seen at draft time had those 2 ranked in 1st round. Maybe we reached a little bit but I bet my bottom dollar that was because of Ralphy.

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 08:45 AM
It's possible he didn't have them rated as 1st rounders. Idk.
With Ralph, Levy, Jauron anything is possible.

Philagape
01-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Ooooohh that is VERY believable

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Ooooohh that is VERY believable

I think that's what I stated. Reading comprehension.

Philagape
01-27-2011, 08:54 AM
I think that's what I stated. Reading comprehension.

You said "I can't believe even Jauron would go that far."

Can't is a contraction for can not, right? If so, my comprehension's just fine, thank you.

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 08:56 AM

Can't is a contraction for can not, right? If so, my comprehension's just fine, thank you.

I think you understand the point. How's this, Even Jauron wouldn't take a guy with the 11th pick if Modrak had him rated as the 90th player.

bf1
01-27-2011, 08:57 AM
In this team's struggles going back 10+ years, there are only two consistent pieces: Modrak and Ralph. It has to be one or both.

The only reason I'd disagree: why would they keep their faith in him if he doesn't have final say and they don't listen to him anyway? If it is his fault, he should be fired, and if it's not his fault, then they're not listening to him, so he's irrelevant. What difference would it make if he's here or not?

Exactly.

Philagape
01-27-2011, 09:00 AM
I think you understand the point. How's this, Even Jauron wouldn't take a guy with the 11th pick if Modrak had him rated as the 90th player.

That is indeed how I took it, and my response was, I can believe Jauron would do that. Him doing that is believable (able to be believed). Comprende?

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
That is indeed how I took it, and my response was, I can believe Jauron would do that. Him doing that is believable (able to be believed). Comprende?

Really. ok my bad then.
I thought I was the biggest Jauron hater but even I didn't think he would pull something like that.

bf1
01-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Remember that whole culture of losing speech Nix gave? Well... Modrak has to go.

trapezeus
01-27-2011, 09:11 AM
best part of that article was ralph saying, "if we don't like a QB at 3, we won't reach."

Thank you.....Thank you. I was really convinced an empty stadium had ralph thinking about another marketing gimmick.

Beebe's Kid
01-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Op...this makes sense to us, but in the real world, you don't fire the guy because you didn't listen to him. I know what you're saying, about them not listening, but let's look at this way: You have an assistant. They have a lot of really good suggestions for you...you never take the assistant's advice...you **** everything up, and if you would have taken their advice, you would be fine... do you fire the assistant?

I can't get there from here.

psubills62
01-27-2011, 09:22 AM
After hearing some of Ingtar's frustrations when scouting, I have little doubt that Modrak could have easily been overruled on some of our more blatant draft-day misses. That being said, I haven't seen any particular reason to trust him. If we are being told he's trustworthy, I'd like to see some evidence that he is (e.g. he had player X rated highly who we didn't take but ended up being very good).

Beebe's Kid
01-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Oh, hell no...we won't even go there, girlfriend. Really?

I just wanted to comment on the "lets (sic) not even go there." The rest of your argument has been clouded with facts by other posters already.

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Sorry but ten years of bad drafting, the guy setting the board has to get some of the blame.

justasportsfan
01-27-2011, 10:11 AM
With the stories that Modrak wanted Cushing, (etc) plus this article and the fact that Nix didn't get rid of Modrak if he was that bad then you would tend to lean towards the thought that Dick was mainly to blame. Keep in mind that up until last year Madrak was working part time all the way back to Donahoe era.

Yes, I know we don't have proof that Ralphy's story is accurate but those who are blaming Modrak have no better proof to refute Ralphy's story..

trapezeus
01-27-2011, 10:47 AM
the bills haven't been that bad in the middle and late rounds, where i think you actually get rid of the money factor. a lot of those guys want to play. you just have to find that they have the athletic ability. Modrak probably spots that well.

for the top 2 round guys, the money is such that there is a lot more to than just finding an athletic guy. you got to find a guy who just won't quit and isn't coached to say the right thing by his agent.

So i can see why you can defend modrak. he's good at eyeing talent. He may not be such a great evaluator of heart and desire. And in the end, you should probably leave that up to the GM to make the call.

as a head scout you are finding football players. as a GM, you are doing the personal interview to see what kind of person you have and if he can work with the coach.

DraftBoy
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
At this point is near impossible to defend Modrak, we dont really know what happens but to assume or think he had nothing to do with any of this is a little assinine.

patmoran2006
01-27-2011, 11:30 AM

I know that your reading comprehension is horrible and all, but I can still use your help with a couple of things over the next few weeks if you don't mind.

OpIv37
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Op...this makes sense to us, but in the real world, you don't fire the guy because you didn't listen to him. I know what you're saying, about them not listening, but let's look at this way: You have an assistant. They have a lot of really good suggestions for you...you never take the assistant's advice...you **** everything up, and if you would have taken their advice, you would be fine... do you fire the assistant?

I can't get there from here.

I hear ya- but if that's the case, I just don't understand the point of keeping him around.

I mean, to use your example, if I'm not going to listen to my assistant anyway, I might as well fire him and use the money towards something else. It's not doing any good for me to pay him and ignore him.

better days
01-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Sorry but ten years of bad drafting, the guy setting the board has to get some of the blame.

Why? If for example Modrick had Maybin as a 2nd rnd pick but a potentially good pass rusher why is it his fault Jauron picked him in the 1st? The point is NOBODY outside of the Bills front office knows how Modrick had players rated.

k-oneputt
01-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Why? If for example Modrick had Maybin as a 2nd rnd pick but a potentially good pass rusher why is it his fault Jauron picked him in the 1st? The point is NOBODY outside of the Bills front office knows how Modrick had players rated.

You have a point if it's one guy, but there is a track record.

M. Williams, Losman, McCargo, Whitner, Maybin, McKelvin, McGahee, and even Poz at the top of the 2nd rd. over D. Harris.

I'm not saying it's all his fault but he is the head of scouting.

YardRat
01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
The buck stops with whoever is pulling the trigger, and I think it's a pretty damning statement by Ralph to subtly call them out while having Modrak's back at the same time. He might as well just have said 'Tom's been ranking the players just fine, but the dumbasses who have had the final say have kinda ****ed us over".

better days
01-27-2011, 08:41 PM
The buck stops with whoever is pulling the trigger, and I think it's a pretty damning statement by Ralph to subtly call them out while having Modrak's back at the same time. He might as well just have said 'Tom's been ranking the players just fine, but the dumbasses who have had the final say have kinda ****ed us over".

Well, that is the truth. Thank God they are finally not in charge of the Bills draft anymore.

Cleve
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
First, why is the General Manager of the team, Buddy Nix, not the one to make the decision about Modrak? Why is Ralph Wilson Jr. making these statements? Shouldn't the general manager be making these statements anyways?

Again, I think this helps demonstrate that the reason Nix was hired was that he was gonna just let Wilson what Wilson in his old age fog wants to do. A quality GM would have more control over the team.

Secondly the media definitely needs to get more "in your face" and aggressive with Ralph Wilson Jr. This man has made 100s of millions of dollars off this franchise, and has benefited from millions of dollars of taxpayer monies that have helped subsidize his prosperity.

Yet he continues to deliver a substandard product here in WNY - the last 11 years have been a one big "****" from Wilson to Buffalo fans. Let's see the Buffalo News and others start throwing some "hardball" questions at this guy - and if he can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

Jan Reimers
02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Let's face it. None of us knows exactly where the various bad draft picks werre rated by Modrak, the degree of influence that the various individuals have had on draft day, or anything else involving the internal workings of player evaluation and draft day decisions.

But then again, that has never stopped us from being experts in any other area of Bills' football.

trapezeus
02-08-2011, 11:48 AM
what we need is a modrak cam at the draft this year. Someone just keep the camera on Modrak when they make the selection. if he slaps his head at the selection, then we'll know he just ranks the players and let's it be. if he's all smiles, then he's made the call at least for this year.

So the obvious question is "who's going to the draft and do you have a video camera?"

Extremebillsfan247
02-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Do you honestly think anybody would keep Modrak around if the consistent busts were all his choice? I am pretty sure they would be looking for a scapegoat, and since Modrak hasn't been fired, maybe the guy that pulled the trigger is the one guy you can't fire. You could be right, I think the article makes a very valid point that he is an easy target because he has been with the Bills for so long during this decade long playoff drought. I've found myself critizing him a time or 2. But the fact is that he has no say in who this team drafts. Most people just don't understand what being a scout actually means, or what the job description is. It's pretty much ignorance that gives us the false notion that he somehow plays a bigger role in who we draft than he actually does. JMO

Beebe's Kid
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
First, why is the General Manager of the team, Buddy Nix, not the one to make the decision about Modrak? Why is Ralph Wilson Jr. making these statements? Shouldn't the general manager be making these statements anyways?

Again, I think this helps demonstrate that the reason Nix was hired was that he was gonna just let Wilson what Wilson in his old age fog wants to do. A quality GM would have more control over the team.

Secondly the media definitely needs to get more "in your face" and aggressive with Ralph Wilson Jr. This man has made 100s of millions of dollars off this franchise, and has benefited from millions of dollars of taxpayer monies that have helped subsidize his prosperity.

Yet he continues to deliver a substandard product here in WNY - the last 11 years have been a one big "****" from Wilson to Buffalo fans. Let's see the Buffalo News and others start throwing some "hardball" questions at this guy - and if he can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.
The media in the Buffalo area has no pull at OBD. The problem is probably that they just piss and moan and insult with little to no information.

If you don't like it, don't go. You do your part. Don't buy any more merchandise, don't watch the games. You keep your money in your pocket, instead of putting it in Ralph's.

If there are enough people are like you and think the fix is in, then you'll show Ralph. If people think that it's been a bunch of poor decisions they'll still go, but you won't be contributing, so you'll still win. Stop following the team, and you can't lose.

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but the Buffalo Bills are a business, which was started in Buffalo, by Ralph Wilson. It is his sandbox. If you don't like his business, then don't support it. If you think he is incapable of running his business...to ****ing bad. You start your own football team, then you can run it however you want.

better days
02-08-2011, 02:13 PM

I would seriously doubt Modrack had either Whitner or Maybin rated higher than other scouts did. I do not remember any of the TV announcers say "Wow what a reach by Buffalo" for that player as they did with Oakland more than a few times recently.

trapezeus
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
but the question is: if modrak is that good, and has been ignored for so long, why wouldn't he go somewhere where his advice is valued and perhaps at a higher rate?

He's spent so much time with the bills being perceived at bad that it does affect his pocketbook now.

better days
02-08-2011, 02:28 PM
but the question is: if modrak is that good, and has been ignored for so long, why wouldn't he go somewhere where his advice is valued and perhaps at a higher rate?

He's spent so much time with the bills being perceived at bad that it does affect his pocketbook now.

Well none of us know how Modrack is perceived by the people that matter around the NFL. For that matter he has steady employment so I doubt his pocketbook is affected by how Bills fans perceive him.

trapezeus
02-08-2011, 02:34 PM
exactly, better days. So if he is highly regarded, why would he be willing to pass on an opportunity to actually be heard?

Chances are because the bills overvalue his service.

Would you be excited if the bills brought in the head scout of the raiders even if you knew that al davis was overriding his every decision? probably not.