PDA

View Full Version : Nix "feels good" about OLB, not so much ILB

psubills62
01-27-2011, 09:40 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/26/nix-wants-ilbs/

Linebacker was a position for the Bills that had little depth and was part of the team’s struggles against the run. That’s why Bills GM Buddy Nix believes there needs to be some additions there.

He’s already added veteran Shawne Merriman on the outside. Now he’s looking to further bolster the inside.

“It has to be addressed,” Nix told Buffalobills.com. “We do have a good bunch of young guys. We feel good about outside linebacker and we need some good inside backers. Some bigger, stronger guys to help stop the run.”

:whatthe:

I kind of like that we managed to re-sign Merriman, but at the same time, we could really use a stud at OLB. Hopefully they'll still add someone there.

The entry also says Poz is expected to re-sign (I'm assuming that's once the CBA is taken care of). I find it interesting that there's no mention of Danny Batten at ILB, as I thought that's where they were going to put him once he's back from injury.

Forward_Lateral
01-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Moats played well at OLB. They obviously like Kelsay. Merriman is an unknown, but if he can even regain 75% of his form, he'll be good.

I agree, ILB is a terrible weakness for the Bills.

Canadian'eh!
01-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Moats played well at OLB. They obviously like Kelsay. Merriman is an unknown, but if he can even regain 75% of his form, he'll be good.

Football is a terrible weakness for the Bills

OpIv37
01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't understand this FO's love for Kelsay. He does seem to get into the backfield a lot, but then he just gets juked by the RB or the QB and they run right by him. It's comical, or it would be if it was any team other than the Bills.

And as far as OLB goes, we are set IF Merriman can overcome his injuries. If he can't, we are no better than we were last year.

psubills62
01-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Moats is a good pass-rusher, still has plenty of room to grow defending the run. Kelsay is garbage and should only be around as our bench, cheerleading OLB. Merriman is a complete unknown. I am mystified that anyone would be comfortable with that group. In fact, Merriman is the only difference between that group and the one that was a big part of our horrible run defense. The OLB's were very much a part of every single run gaining the outside edge on us.

The ILB's sucked too - I simply think that almost our entire LB crew needs to be revamped.

Beebe's Kid
01-27-2011, 09:51 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/26/nix-wants-ilbs/

:whatthe:

I kind of like that we managed to re-sign Merriman, but at the same time, we could really use a stud at OLB. Hopefully they'll still add someone there.

The entry also says Poz is expected to re-sign (I'm assuming that's once the CBA is taken care of). I find it interesting that there's no mention of Danny Batten at ILB, as I thought that's where they were going to put him once he's back from injury.

Danny Batten is an unknown. I want him to be good, the Bills want him to be good, but nobody knows, as he didn't even make it through camp in his rookie year.

Poz has to wait for the CBA, unless he only signs for $1 million per year....and here come the "that's too much" blasts.

Beebe's Kid
01-27-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't understand this FO's love for Kelsay. He does seem to get into the backfield a lot, but then he just gets juked by the RB or the QB and they run right by him. It's comical, or it would be if it was any team other than the Bills.

And as far as OLB goes, we are set IF Merriman can overcome his injuries. If he can't, we are no better than we were last year.

I have a picture that I took in Tennessee, two years ago, where Kelsay went face first into the turf chasing that no good ******* Vince Young around. It is funny, and I was going to turn it into an avatar, but I'm lazy.

ddaryl
01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
we can use upgrades at any and all of the LB positions I or O. We have some serviceable LB's but none should feel comfortable.

OpIv37
01-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a picture that I took in Tennessee, two years ago, where Kelsay went face first into the turf chasing that no good ******* Vince Young around. It is funny, and I was going to turn it into an avatar, but I'm lazy.

and that gets him a $24 million contract extension?

I'll gladly fall on my face attempting to catch Vince Young for vet minimum. It'll be a huge raise from what I make now, and the team can use the savings to bring in a FA who can actually play.

Everybody wins!

ghz in pittsburgh
01-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Until someone comes up and take the job away, Kelsay will be playing. And he's the reason they are hybrid because Kelsay is only effective at 4-3.

Honestly, right now on this Bills team, Kelsay is the best pure pass rusher from the outside. It's sad but true.

Maybe next year Merriman can change that. or Maybin if he ever grows up?

bf1
01-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Kelsay's leadership qualities are apparent. The whole d seems to follow his lead.

psubills62
01-27-2011, 10:05 AM

I saw him do EXACTLY this way too many times this year. There's a reason teams don't bother blocking him. Kelsay's got the best pass rush move of all - stupidity. Teams know he won't make the tackle and the 5-6 times a year he does isn't enough to make the teams concerned enough to put a body on him.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I think they would like to upgrade the OLBer position but feel they have better depth there than ILBer, that's why he made the statement.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-27-2011, 10:17 AM
kelvin sheppard, josh bynes, martez wilson seem like they would be good...

YardRat
01-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Kelsay would be better off as an emergency LB/DE back-up, and earning the rest of his contract covering kicks until he's eventually let loose to save some big money. I could see him really contributing in a Mark Pike kind of way.

As far as LBers, we're really not that much better off at OLB than ILB, IMO.

dasaybz
01-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Nix is happy with our OLBs because he knows we are going to take Von Miller.

TigerJ
01-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Before the 2010 season, the Buffalo coaching staff envisioned Moats as an inside backer and Batten as an outside backer. When Moats was moved outside because of numbers, and seemed to flourish there, I don't think the Bills changed their thinking on Batten. He'll still be an outside guy. Batten of course is something of an unknown, having missed the entire 2010 season, but Nix has to make some assumptions when he projects his 2011 personnel situation. He can't draft and sign enough bodies to fill all the holes that might be there if none of his assumptions pan out. So, between Merriman, Moats, Batten, and Kelsay, they've go enough bodies to cover the position, and if Moats continues to develop while Merriman returns to form, they might be quite a bit better than in 2010. At inside backer, Nix knows pretty much what he's got. Torbor, Ayodele etc. are journeymen who aren't going to get better. Poz might actually be a little better next year with a full year in the 3-4 under his belt, but a young stud to pair with him is a blatantly obvious need.

EDS
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
The Bills could really use a Lawrence Timmons type on the inside: big, stong and excellent range.

I question whether Merriman will be able to (a) stay healthy and (b) regain a modicum of his former production.

ServoBillieves
01-28-2011, 05:41 PM
I've always seen Merriman line up at either outside spot... But I've only really seen Moats come off the LT side of the ball. Then again, when you see Merriman most productive, it's off the LT side of the ball too.

Would that put the alignment from L-R Merriman/Pos(?)/Davis(hopefully not)/Moats? Where does Kelsay's Captain jersey fit in that group?

YardRat
01-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Where does Kelsay's Captain jersey fit in that group?

Special teams.