PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Wilson says he won't reach for QB

buffalobillsfan95
01-27-2011, 02:41 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/27/ralph-wilson-says-bills-wont-reach-for-a-quarterback/

Historian
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Good.

He might pull something.

SABURZFAN
01-27-2011, 03:35 PM
he doesn't like reaching for his checkbook either.

Figster
01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Everything considered, Cam Newton is not a reach at the 3rd pick overall in my opinion.

X-Era
01-27-2011, 04:17 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/27/ralph-wilson-says-bills-wont-reach-for-a-quarterback/Good. I wouldn't reach for one either.

However, that's not the same as saying no QB is worthy of the pick. That hasn't been determined yet as Nix eluded to.

SABURZFAN
01-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Good. I wouldn't reach for one either.

However, that's not the same as saying no QB is worthy of the pick. That hasn't been determined yet as Nix eluded to.

meanwhile, every QB is praying Buffalo doesn't draft them so you don't kill their career.

Ebenezer
01-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Why does RW even get a say??

YardRat
01-27-2011, 05:21 PM
There is no QB worth the #3...period. I don't give a damn what comes out from the combine or pro days except for the personal interviews and whatever is gleaned from those isn't enough to make one of them rise that much.

X-Era
01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
There is no QB worth the #3...period. I don't give a damn what comes out from the combine or pro days except for the personal interviews and whatever is gleaned from those isn't enough to make one of them rise that much.Thankfully, professionals in charge of actually making the pick are more thorough in their evaluation.

G Wolly
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM

They let him talk because he still thinks he knows what he's doing.

They don't wanna get him all worked up.

X-Era
01-27-2011, 06:01 PM
meanwhile, every QB is praying Buffalo doesn't draft them so you don't kill their career.Quit trying to destroy my career. :lol:

By the way, If I don't adopt their name until they have taken us to the playoffs or even farther, I can't destroy their career before it starts.

And yes, that is my plan.

Billz_fan
01-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah Ralph thinks Joe Ferguson still has a couple good years left in him.

bigbub2352
01-27-2011, 06:27 PM
he wont reach on a QB???? really how much of a fool does he take our fan base for????????????????

whitner, mccargo, mcgahee, maybin, losman, byrd, ellis, anderson, parrish, troupe, carrington, were all considereded reaches on draft day

add in the bad picks of mckelvin, hardy, everett, nelson, etc...

then the spiller pick which made no sense when lynch and jackson on the roster and glaring needs at oline and dline i cant put any stock into RW

and so far i cant put much into Nix either with his first draft class way underperforming and his terrible decisions in FA so far

rcd333
01-27-2011, 06:28 PM
psssshhhh definite smoke screen Ralph. you cant pull a fast one on us

X-Era
01-27-2011, 06:30 PM
he wont reach on a QB???? really how much of a fool does he take our fan base for????????????????

whitner, mccargo, mcgahee, maybin, losman, byrd, ellis, anderson, parrish, troupe, carrington, were all considereded reaches on draft day

add in the bad picks of mckelvin, hardy, everett, nelson, etc...

then the spiller pick which made no sense when lynch and jackson on the roster and glaring needs at oline and dline i cant put any stock into RW

and so far i cant put much into Nix either with his first draft class way underperforming and his terrible decisions in FA so farI agree in a different way.

Whom some of us consider a reach and who they consider a reach have frequently been different in the past decade or so.

As I previously said, Ralph didn't say any QB at 3 will be a reach. It could easily be that they will claim the QB they took at 3 wasn't a reach to them.

Raptor
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Just for QB's? We shouldnt reach for any position

alohabillsfan
01-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Ha, there are plenty of other positions they can reach for.

YardRat
01-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Thankfully, professionals in charge of actually making the pick are more thorough in their evaluation.

If the 'professionals' actually hit more than they miss, instead of vice-versa, this post might actually have some validity.

YardRat
01-27-2011, 07:08 PM
I agree in a different way.

Whom some of us consider a reach and who they consider a reach have frequently been different in the past decade or so.

As I previously said, Ralph didn't say any QB at 3 will be a reach. It could easily be that they will claim the QB they took at 3 wasn't a reach to them.

'Some of us' would have had a better track record than 'they' in the first round over the last decade.

X-Era
01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
'Some of us' would have had a better track record than 'they' in the first round over the last decade.Maybe the Bills will start to let us choose.

YardRat
01-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Maybe the Bills will start to let us choose.

Looking back, they would've been better off to let us choose starting 10 years ago.

Extremebillsfan247
01-27-2011, 07:46 PM
He's like the spoiled fat kid in the store that wants it his way, only he happens to own it.

jamze132
01-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Can Cam Newton read an NFL defense?

TacklingDummy
01-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Just for QB's? We shouldnt reach for any position
Some thought Clay Matthews who went 26th would have been a reach at #11, instead the Bills reached for Maybin. How did that work out?

X-Era
01-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Can Cam Newton read an NFL defense?He reads defenses. In the spread, the QB often makes quick passes to the primary guy who is often open short. That quick offense often doesn't require much reading of the defense. However, there are plays that either fall apart or where the primary target goes farther down field. On those plays, the QB may have to read the defense and find the open man. Cam does this on occasion.

Now, if the plan was to insert him into a pro-style offense, he may need time to adjust. But in a system like the Bills run where we often run out of the shotgun with 4 wides, a spread QB should be able to make the adjustment. In fact, in our offense, being a spread QB may actually be a benefit.

Mr. Miyagi
01-28-2011, 08:57 AM
This is definitive proof that Ralph is a closet Zoner.

He must've read my thread (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=199926&highlight=personal+promise) about a box of crap on his door step.

I win.

Extremebillsfan247
01-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Can Cam Newton read an NFL defense?
I wouldn't be surprised if 3 to 4 years from now he turns out to be one of those QBs we all regret the Bills passing on. lol Just saying.

Mr. Miyagi
01-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if 3 to 4 years from now he turns out to be one of those QBs we all regret the Bills passing on. lol Just saying.
Or JaMarcus Russell.

Extremebillsfan247
01-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Or JaMarcus Russell.
I'm willing to bet 10k in zone bucks that he does better at the pro level than Russell did.

better days
01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm willing to bet 10k in zone bucks that he does better at the pro level than Russell did.

Well, he wouldn't have to do all that much to do better than Russell. He could do better than Russell & still be terrible. Are you saying he is going to be an NFL starter in his 5th year in the league?

Extremebillsfan247
01-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Well, he wouldn't have to do all that much to do better than Russell. He could do better than Russell & still be terrible. Are you saying he is going to be an NFL starter in his 5th year in the league?
lol it's possible. Just saying.

Buckets
01-28-2011, 10:39 AM
He should shut the f*** up and listen to his football people.

Jan Reimers
01-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Ralph shouldn't reach for anything but his metamucil on draft day.

better days
01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
He reads defenses. In the spread, the QB often makes quick passes to the primary guy who is often open short. That quick offense often doesn't require much reading of the defense. However, there are plays that either fall apart or where the primary target goes farther down field. On those plays, the QB may have to read the defense and find the open man. Cam does this on occasion.

Now, if the plan was to insert him into a pro-style offense, he may need time to adjust. But in a system like the Bills run where we often run out of the shotgun with 4 wides, a spread QB should be able to make the adjustment. In fact, in our offense, being a spread QB may actually be a benefit.

If his primary receiver is not open, Newton takes off & runs. He will have to learn to read through his progressions in the NFL.

Mr. Miyagi
01-28-2011, 11:04 AM
That means nothing. My left nut could do better at the pro level than Russell did.

If you really want to bet you would have to quantify it a lot more. "Better" is way too subjective and vague.

Bill Cody
01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
That means nothing. My left nut could do better at the pro level than Russell did.

You're a prostitute?:wtf:

X-Era
01-28-2011, 02:48 PM
If his primary receiver is not open, Newton takes off & runs. He will have to learn to read through his progressions in the NFL.I have personally watched him NOT do this. He does it sometimes, but not all the time. I encourage you to watch more games of his and look closer at whether he goes through progressions.

X-Era
01-28-2011, 02:49 PM

If you really want to bet you would have to quantify it a lot more. "Better" is way too subjective and vague.How good is your left nut in the pocket?

Johnny Bugmenot
01-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Because, until someone else ponies up the $700 million or so that the franchise is worth... it's still his team.

jamze132
01-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Or JaMarcus Russell.
You probably never heard of Russell before he was drafted, like many fans.

You know who Cam Newton is.

casdhf
01-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Why does RW even get a say?? Really? The guy does own the team. I'm pretty sure, like it or not, all owners have a say.

SABURZFAN
01-29-2011, 09:29 AM

well.... there were a few idiots who believed that The Old Fart would go out and pay top money for a top football coach.

cgbm
01-29-2011, 06:25 PM
If his primary receiver is not open, Newton takes off & runs. He will have to learn to read through his progressions in the NFL.

thats funny because the STATS show that his top 3 recievers had 52, 43, 33 catches respectively. so that shows me that he can spread the ball pretty well.

better days
01-29-2011, 10:11 PM
thats funny because the STATS show that his top 3 recievers had 52, 43, 33 catches respectively. so that shows me that he can spread the ball pretty well.

Well are you saying only one receiver was his primary receiver on EVERY ROUTE in every game? I would doubt that myself.

cgbm
01-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Well are you saying only one receiver was his primary receiver on EVERY ROUTE in every game? I would doubt that myself.

are you saying that when you watch his games that you know who his primary reciever is every play. because thats kinda what you are implying when you say that he only throws to his primary reciever. and if you do know who it is then i think you have alot of potential as a defensive cordinator..