PDA

View Full Version : This Jake Locker guy

Prov401
01-27-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't follow college football religiously, and as far as this year's crop of QB's, I'm aware that as of this second, nobody is worth the pick at 3. However, one name sticks out to me because of the hype going into last year's college football season, and the fact that many had him going top 10 last year had he came out, and that's obviously Jake Locker.

I'm aware he didn't do well this season, however some say he didn't have the right players around him, he was asked to play outside of his strengths etc.

My question is, what if Locker has a good showing at the Senior bowl, and knocks em' dead at the combine? Do we take a look at him at 3? It seems to me that if any QB shows up at the combine and proves to be the best at his position, they probably won't make it past Arizona, and if they do, probably not past the Vikings. So, if Buffalo were to take a top QB in this year's draft, there likely wont be any scenario we're they can trade down and still get him.

Anyways, to those who are begging for a franchise QB (personally I say stick with Fitz either way, and take a DL/DE or I can live with Peterson), would you take Locker at 3 if he lights it up these next couple of months?

tampabay25690
01-27-2011, 08:06 PM
He isn't going 3rd.
I have been a fan of Locker since last year and this year has definitely been tuff on him.
He needs to have a good game Saturday....

Extremebillsfan247
01-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't follow college football religiously, and as far as this year's crop of QB's, I'm aware that as of this second, nobody is worth the pick at 3. However, one name sticks out to me because of the hype going into last year's college football season, and the fact that many had him going top 10 last year had he came out, and that's obviously Jake Locker.

I'm aware he didn't do well this season, however some say he didn't have the right players around him, he was asked to play outside of his strengths etc.

My question is, what if Locker has a good showing at the Senior bowl, and knocks em' dead at the combine? Do we take a look at him at 3? It seems to me that if any QB shows up at the combine and proves to be the best at his position, they probably won't make it past Arizona, and if they do, probably not past the Vikings. So, if Buffalo were to take a top QB in this year's draft, there likely wont be any scenario we're they can trade down and still get him.

Anyways, to those who are begging for a franchise QB (personally I say stick with Fitz either way, and take a DL/DE or I can live with Peterson), would you take Locker at 3 if he lights it up these next couple of months?
One could argue that he might not have the right players around him in Buffalo either for what ever that means. The thing a QB must do at the pro level is adapt, get the players around him believing that he knows what he's doing out there, and absolutely must be good enough to elevate the play of the guys around him. Can Locker do that?

BillsWin
01-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Be wary of rapid risers and fallers. Locker falls in both categories.

Nighthawk
01-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Locker is a late 1st rounder, but more likely will go in the 2nd....he just has regressed so badly.

X-Era
01-27-2011, 08:16 PM

I don't see it.

I think he's the 3rd or 4th best QB in this years draft... at 3, we will likely be able to get the #1 QB.

X-Era
01-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Locker is a late 1st rounder, but more likely will go in the 2nd....he just has regressed so badly.If we were going to take a QB out of the 1st round, he'd be in discussion at the top of the list IMO.

At 3, I would be very down on that pick. In the 2nd, I would see it as a very intriguing pick that I would like.

Prov401
01-27-2011, 08:19 PM
One could argue that he might not have the right players around him in Buffalo either for what ever that means. The thing a QB must do at the pro level is adapt, get the players around him believing that he knows what he's doing out there, and absolutely must be good enough to elevate the play of the guys around him. Can Locker do that?

As I said, I didn't follow this kid at all. All I heard was a bunch of excuses on why he wasn't performing at the level expected of him. I've heard his receivers had stone hands, he was asked to play outside his strengths and adapt quickly to becoming a pocket passer instead of making something happen with his feet. etc. I didn't really catch any of his games, it's just a little amazing on how high this kid was talked about going into last season, and how far he has fell. There was a split debate on him and Luck going into last year. Basically, what the hell happened, and what if he gets his act together in these next few months is what I'm asking.

better days
01-27-2011, 08:34 PM
From what I have heard, he has not been very accurate in practice this week.

Extremebillsfan247
01-27-2011, 08:36 PM
As I said, I didn't follow this kid at all. All I heard was a bunch of excuses on why he wasn't performing at the level expected of him. I've heard his receivers had stone hands, he was asked to play outside his strengths and adapt quickly to becoming a pocket passer instead of making something happen with his feet. etc. I didn't really catch any of his games, it's just a little amazing on how high this kid was talked about going into last season, and how far he has fell. There was a split debate on him and Luck going into last year. Basically, what the hell happened, and what if he gets his act together in these next few months is what I'm asking.
Jermaine Kearse had a great year though. I don't know if he came out for the draft or is going back for his senior year, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bills uniform. Dude is a phenomenal receiver. A good portion of Lockers throwing stats this last year were padded by this guy. I think the main knock on Locker really has less to do with his talent than it does with the teams records with him under center. The premise is on winning QBs. If your not winning at the college level, some think it doesn't translate well to the pro game.

Mad Max
01-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Locker at #3, or even after a trade down in the first is not something I would be happy with. Way too many red flags with him, accuracy, injuries, footwork, mental acumen (just my opinion), lack of wins, etc.

I don't want another Rob Johnson...elite athleticism but not enough of everything else needed to be a successful NFL QB.

Check out this link, see what the experts say about him.

http://seattle.sbnation.com/washington-huskies/2011/1/24/1953790/2011-senior-bowl-jake-locker-weigh-in-workouts-nfl-draft-stock

Mad Max
01-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't see it.

I think he's the 3rd or 4th best QB in this years draft... at 3, we will likely be able to get the #1 QB.

Which is whom according to you?

Gabby or Fig?

Extremebillsfan247
01-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Locker at #3, or even after a trade down in the first is not something I would be happy with. Way too many red flags with him, accuracy, injuries, footwork, mental acumen (just my opinion), lack of wins, etc.

I don't want another Rob Johnson...elite athleticism but not enough of everything else needed to be a successful NFL QB.

Check out this link, see what the experts say about him.

http://seattle.sbnation.com/washington-huskies/2011/1/24/1953790/2011-senior-bowl-jake-locker-weigh-in-workouts-nfl-draft-stock
Kind of sounds like your describing Trent Edwards when he was at Stanford. lol

Mad Max
01-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Good point. The only saving grace of the Edwards Era was that he wasn't a blown 1st rounder, ala RJ, Dreadsoe, and Losman.

Philagape
01-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Difference is, Johnson was at least a good passer.

Weaknesses are reading defenses and staying in the pocket? It's Losman 2.0

Mad Max
01-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Difference is, Johnson was at least a good passer.

Weaknesses are reading defenses and staying in the pocket? It's Losman 2.0

True, RJ when not getting sacked did compile some excellent completion percentages.

Philagape
01-27-2011, 09:06 PM
True, RJ when not getting sacked did compile some excellent completion percentages.

He's the highest-rated passer in Bills history, which tells you something about passer ratings.

tampabay25690
01-27-2011, 09:19 PM

Gabby or Fig?

That is such a hard question.....

X-Era
01-28-2011, 06:10 AM

Gabby or Fig?Right now I would lean toward Gabbert. But, Newton could supplant him if teams feel good about his character and leadership qualities.

TacklingDummy
01-28-2011, 06:43 AM
That's because he only threw it when the guy was open by a mile. If the receiver wasn't open by a mile RJ took the sack.

ddaryl
01-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Locker proved to be too inaccurate of a passer which is why he is falling and unworthy of a 1st rd pick IMO

DraftBoy
01-28-2011, 07:38 AM
I said this last offseason, this guy just hasnt had it click yet (and it may never). He has all world talent and potential, but he doesnt see the field well, he doesnt make the best decisions and his inconsistent play will drive you nuts.

tampabay25690
01-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Right now I would lean toward Gabbert. But, Newton could supplant him if teams feel good about his character and leadership qualities.

**** we were talking about Gabbert possibly 2-3rd round now 1st QB taken.....
Gabbert needs to send gifts to Andrew Luck now.....

Saratoga Slim
01-28-2011, 07:42 AM

I think JP Losman and Rob johnson are more analagous to Locker. Trent had measurables in terms of size, and he was allegedly pretty accurate, but he has never been accused of having either the arm or the mobility of JP, Rob, or Locker.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-28-2011, 10:28 AM
If locker is there in the second than it's a no brainer IMO.But him with the 3rd pick is a bit too high for him

better days
01-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Locker proved to be too inaccurate of a passer which is why he is falling and unworthy of a 1st rd pick IMO

Fox Sports' Adam Caplan said of the 6 QB's at the Senior Bowl, Locker is the worst as far as accuracy goes. Sounds like JP Losman 2.0

Philagape
01-28-2011, 11:55 AM
If locker is there in the second than it's a no brainer IMO.But him with the 3rd pick is a bit too high for him

I wouldn't touch Jake Losman in the THIRD round

Bill Cody
01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
He might go as high as Seattle at #25. Local guy might sell some tickets. He does have talent. I'd take him ahead of Mallet personally. You'd have to give it thought at the top of the 2nd.

justasportsfan
01-28-2011, 12:12 PM
That's because he only threw it when the guy was open by a mile. If the receiver wasn't open by a mile RJ took the sack.

or dinked it to Larry Centers.

better days
01-28-2011, 12:25 PM
He might go as high as Seattle at #25. Local guy might sell some tickets. He does have talent. I'd take him ahead of Mallet personally. You'd have to give it thought at the top of the 2nd.

I say let Seattle take him, especially if they take him at 25. That will leave one more good player for the Bills to draft in the 2nd rnd.

X-Era
01-28-2011, 02:58 PM
**** we were talking about Gabbert possibly 2-3rd round now 1st QB taken.....
Gabbert needs to send gifts to Andrew Luck now.....He's got everything you look for except phenomenal college numbers. I really think he would have developed that much more and become as good as last years Luck (not this years) with another year in college.

He chose not to go that route which leaves us with some unproven potential. I see no reason why he won't fully develop, he's smart, already reads defenses at some level, is a leader, has solid mechanics, and a great arm. I can see why scouts have finally come around on him. There's not any huge concern with his game other than polish. And that should come with development.

I especially like him for the Bills since he's so familiar with a multiple wides set that we run so often. That big arm, underrated poise, and ability to find a way to make plays is real intriguing. But the part I think that might separate him the most from Mallet and Newton is that I think he will develop the best pocket presence and decision making out of that group. I think a HC like Gailey could turn this guy into a bonafide franchise QB.

Luck is the better prospect because he's more polished and has proven it on the field. But Gabbert is the 2nd best IMO.