PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton schedules workout in front of media

Figster
01-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Cecil Newton maps workout for Cam

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6066772&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

The Auburn quarterback arrived in San Diego over the weekend and finished his fourth day of working with Whitfield on Thursday. Much of the emphasis has been on getting Newton, who had played primarily out of the shotgun formation in a spread offense in college, acclimated to working from under center and throwing in rhythm while improving his footwork. The results have "blown away" Whitfield, as well as the elder Newton.

By <cite class="source"> Bruce Feldman
ESPN The Magazine</cite>

DraftBoy
01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
If this kid does one thing right this offseason, I guarantee it will be that he maximizes his PR potential. He is well spoken, and articulate in interviews and he's doing all the right things. If you thought the Tebow train was big last year, wait till this kid gets rolling.

better days
01-28-2011, 10:41 AM
If this kid does one thing right this offseason, I guarantee it will be that he maximizes his PR potential. He is well spoken, and articulate in interviews and he's doing all the right things. If you thought the Tebow train was big last year, wait till this kid gets rolling.

Well aside from commercials, Tebow had the #1 selling jersey in the NFL last year including vets. Are you saying Newton is going to top that?

DraftBoy
01-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Well aside from commercials, Tebow had the #1 selling jersey in the NFL last year including vets. Are you saying Newton is going to top that?

Not sure, depends on the market he goes to. But I think Newton comes close. Kid is infectious when you meet him or watch him talk. Very nice kid too.

Figster
01-28-2011, 11:33 AM

If Cam Newton transitions well into the NFL, he could be one of the biggest draws/stars our football Nation has ever seen in my opinion.

Figster
01-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Not sure, depends on the market he goes to. But I think Newton comes close. Kid is infectious when you meet him or watch him talk. Very nice kid too.
Cam is a very captivating and charismatic individual who should have every GM out there seeing $$$ signs.

patmoran2006
01-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Cam is a very captivating and charismatic individual who should have every GM out there seeing $$$ signs.

Dont think that eludes Ralph Wilson.. For sure

THATHURMANATOR
01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I won't be pissed if we take him

ddaryl
01-28-2011, 12:43 PM
he doesn't pass the 27-26-60 rule...

will have to see on the wonderlic, but he hasn't won 27 games and only has one season with 60% completion.

Chances are he'll flop in the NFL along side of how many other Heisman winning QB's

psubills62
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Looks great, sounds great, can probably pass nearly every test (except one requiring brains) with flying colors...but doesn't pass the smell test. Anyone who has even heard his name before should be able to smell a rat.

EricStratton
01-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Why all the concern about how smart he is.

Has Newton ever given the indication that he isn't an intelligent young man and an intelligent football player?

bf1
01-28-2011, 01:10 PM
No thanks. For some reason Cam Newton reminds me of Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, Byron Leftwich, and Akili Smith.

NO THANKS!!!

El Guapo
01-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Has Newton ever given the indication that he isn't an intelligent young man and an intelligent football player?

Good question. I love how people assume things that are far from the truth.

As for the smelling of a rat comment above, look into what he has done outside of football at Auburn to truly see what this kid is about. He will be a PR bonanza for some team -- if he produces above average on the field.

bf1
01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I love this. "For some reason..." No facts, just a hunch. Or, is it because you are so racist, you can't get past the fact that he is black?

Oh!!!!!!! Is that what it is?

HAMMER
01-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Ohhhhh, no he dittint drop the race card.

elltrain22
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
3 predictions on Newton

1. He'll be the first qb taken in this years draft
2. He'll be a pretty good NFL qb
3. He won't be drafted by us, b/c we're probably taking a MF'ing cb

El Guapo
01-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Ohhhhh, no he dittint drop the race card.

Considering the only thing Newton has in common with every QB he compared him to is his skin color, yes, I did point it out.

Figster
01-28-2011, 01:37 PM
3 predictions on Newton

1. He'll be the first qb taken in this years draft
2. He'll be a pretty good NFL qb
3. He won't be drafted by us, b/c we're probably taking a MF'ing cb

doggonit already!!!:op:

elltrain22
01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
doggonit already!!!:op:
[/B]

thats what I'm gonna look like when we draft him

bf1
01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Considering the only thing Newton has in common with every QB he compared him to is his skin color, yes, I did point it out.
The only thing they have in common? They are all qbs too, no?

Nuff said.

bf1
01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
:lol:

Cmon man. I thought it was a little to obvious that people would get that it was a joke. ;)

El Guapo
01-28-2011, 01:43 PM
:lol:

Cmon man. I thought it was a little to obvious that people would get that it was a joke. ;)

Sorry if I missed that, and sorry about the racist comment.

bf1
01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Dumb joke on my part!

El Guapo
01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
I deleted that post.

Thief
01-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Personally I see a little Randell Cunningham, who I think is one of the most gifted QBs to ever play.

tampabay25690
01-28-2011, 04:41 PM
I think when all this is done CAM NEWTON is the 1st Qb taken in the draft.....
It wouldnt surprise me at all if Carolina picks CAM with the 1st pick.....
You heard it here first...

YardRat
01-28-2011, 04:48 PM
IMO Newton will go pretty high...I've been saying for months somebody is going to fall in love with him enough to pull a quick trigger.

His father is way too involved with things, though, it seems, and obviously has been for awhile. That's a huge red flag in my book.

X-Era
01-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I think when all this is done CAM NEWTON is the 1st Qb taken in the draft.....
It wouldnt surprise me at all if Carolina picks CAM with the 1st pick.....
You heard it here first...I won't rule it out. But I would be surprised.

I think Carolina taking a QB at 1 is more about the CBA than anything else... I think if the CBA gets solved in time for some players to get traded or signed prior to the draft, Carolina will go that way. I really do. However, if the CBA doesn;t get resolved and we go to teh draft without a new deal, Carolina could conceivably take a QB.

Look at it this way, I think Gabbert and Newton are both better prospects than Ja'Marcus Russell was and he went #1. The NFL covets the position and these guys rank up there with several whom have gone top 10 or 5.

X-Era
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
IMO Newton will go pretty high...I've been saying for months somebody is going to fall in love with him enough to pull a quick trigger.

His father is way too involved with things, though, it seems, and obviously has been for awhile. That's a huge red flag in my book.The second he signs a contract and is owned by a team, his father becomes irrelevant.

Night Train
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
I bet the media wrote down the serial number of their laptops.

YardRat
01-28-2011, 05:11 PM
The second he signs a contract and is owned by a team, his father becomes irrelevant.

I don't agree.

#1-I could foresee his father advising Cam to not sign to begin with, and try to force a trade to a more desirable team.

#2-Even after a contract is signed, that bad advice could be holding out over playing time, public pissing and moaning about mis-handling of his son, etc.

The last thing we need is a player who's father already believes his kid is God's gift to the sport and the league, and should be treated as such. This is the NFL, and no place for a Little League guardian.

Will that definitely happen? Maybe not, but the father's mere presence and past activity give the likelihood a stronger chance.

Night Train
01-28-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't agree.

#1-I could foresee his father advising Cam to not sign to begin with, and try to force a trade to a more desirable team.

#2-Even after a contract is signed, that bad advice could be holding out over playing time, public pissing and moaning about mis-handling of his son, etc.

The last thing we need is a player who's father already believes his kid is God's gift to the sport and the league, and should be treated as such. This is the NFL, and no place for a Little League guardian.

Will that definitely happen? Maybe not, but the father's mere presence and past activity give the likelihood a stronger chance.

Kellen Winslow Sr.

El Guapo
01-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Kellen Winslow Sr.

Or daddy Manning with Eli.

psubills62
01-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Wouldya look at that...

One high level scout put it this way:

"The Newtons would be best to realize they aren't in college anymore. Regardless of how good he looks for [the media], there isn't going to be a bidding war for him. We're not recruiting him. They could wind up turning more people against them than for them with this [workout]."

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/27305246?source=rss_blogs_NFL%20Draft

One NFL front office executive tells CBS Sports that he believes Auburn QB Cam Newton's February 10 individual workout is no more than a "publicity stunt."

It's pretty unprecedented for a draft prospect to hold a pre-Combine workout, and CBS' Rob Rang suggests it may be perceived as Cecil Newton's attempt to "upstage" the NFL and its Combine. Media only will be allowed to watch the workout. Scouts won't be there.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=6491

Figster
01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Wouldya look at that...

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/27305246?source=rss_blogs_NFL%20Draft

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=6491

The lengths at what a writer will do to find a story, so everyone wants to remain anonymous, :poop:(my poop banana is not directed at you psubills62)

better days
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM

The concern is he was caught cheating three separate times while at Florida which would suggest he is either stupid or lazy.

trapezeus
01-31-2011, 01:17 PM
i'm hesitant on cam. his experience isn't really there. he's had one wonder year. he's coming out early, he runs a lot and has a one read offense that he's good at. and he's got a scandal that points to a guy who feels entitled. regardless of how i feel about the NCAA rules, i still think you have to follow them or publically challenge them.

if he was a senior, 2 years of solid play, ran a more pro style offense and showed that he ran as a secondary solution, he's a no brainer and you take the NCAA risk. but he has a lot of one hit wonder things about him that makes him too risky at 3. The more money you throw at a guy who has succeeded on skill alone, the more you have to work at him to make sure he has the work ethic to get into NFL state of mind.

if they pick him, i'll be a newton fan. but i think we need a starter on day 1 on the DL. and we should be able to get that type of guy.

TMu11
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
The concern is he was caught cheating three separate times while at Florida which would suggest he is either stupid or lazy.

The fact that he cheated doesn't worry me. The fact that he got caught so many times does

Bangarang
01-31-2011, 02:05 PM
The whole purpose of this is to answer questions that scouts have regarding Newton.

Can he operate under center? Can he stay in the pocket and make accurate throws? He's just trying to prove that he can do those things to help improve his draft stock. I don't see why people are making a big deal about this. If I were Newton, I would do everything I possibly could to help my future in the NFL in terms of where I'm drafted and how much I could potentially make.

What's being overlooked is the fact that he sees the areas he needs to work on and appears to be putting in the hours to do so. This makes me like him more than I have if anything.

psubills62
01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
The whole purpose of this is to answer questions that scouts have regarding Newton.

Except 1) scouts won't be there, ONLY media, 2) isn't that what that whole "NFL combine" thing is for?

Bangarang
01-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Except 1) scouts won't be there, ONLY media, 2) isn't that what that whole "NFL combine" thing is for?

With today's technology, there will be reporters tweeting & updating pretty much every second of what they see. Not to mention it's pretty much certain that there will be footage taken and put on the internet. Let's not pretend that scouts won't know exactly how he looked.

psubills62
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
With today's technology, there will be reporters tweeting & updating pretty much every second of what they see. Not to mention it's pretty much certain that there will be footage taken and put on the internet. Let's not pretend that scouts won't know exactly how he looked.

Every second of what they see? Would you trust any member of the media to accurately be able to analyze the movements and throws of a college-turning-pro QB? People barely trust scouts nowadays, much less the media, who barely even knows what they see when guys become NFL stars. This is a sham, a joke, and completely unnecessary. If he's that great, he can show off at the combine. This is absolutely stupid, and I'm amazed that anyone thinks it's anything more than a publicity move.

Mad Max
01-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Every second of what they see? Would you trust any member of the media to accurately be able to analyze the movements and throws of a college-turning-pro QB? People barely trust scouts nowadays, much less the media, who barely even knows what they see when guys become NFL stars. This is a sham, a joke, and completely unnecessary. If he's that great, he can show off at the combine. This is absolutely stupid, and I'm amazed that anyone thinks it's anything more than a publicity move.

This is a bad idea by his father. It's a look at me stunt, that is already pissing off people off that matter to him right now (NFL scouts), and pretty much makes him look like a Prima Donna.

Players always have their college Pro Days to get spotlights shone on them. Most high profile QB's skip passing drills at the combine and only throw at their Pro Day. Newton should have just waited until Auburns Pro Day.

And if he was determined to do this, why on earth would he exclude scouts? Dumb.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Teams-turning-against-Cam-Newton-?urn=nfl-314557

better days
01-31-2011, 06:06 PM
This is a bad idea by his father. It's a look at me stunt, that is already pissing off people off that matter to him right now (NFL scouts), and pretty much makes him look like a Prima Donna.

Players always have their college Pro Days to get spotlights shone on them. Most high profile QB's skip passing drills at the combine and only throw at their Pro Day. Newton should have just waited until Auburns Pro Day.

And if he was determined to do this, why on earth would he exclude scouts? Dumb.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Teams-turning-against-Cam-Newton-?urn=nfl-314557

He excluded scouts because they are only allowed to attend a workout at the players hometown or College school. This was just a sham as has been said.

X-Era
01-31-2011, 06:35 PM
PR move only. I think it's dumb. It was one thing when Tebow wanted to show new mechanics which was a major concern for NFL teams.

Newton doesn't have any major issues in his game... he doesn't need to do this.

I don't like this at all.

better days
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
PR move only. I think it's dumb. It was one thing when Tebow wanted to show new mechanics which was a major concern for NFL teams.

Newton doesn't have any major issues in his game... he doesn't need to do this.

I don't like this at all.

The opinion from what I have read was that Newton wanted teams to know he was not lazy & was working at his game, but as has been said everyone agreed it was just a sham.

Ingtar33
01-31-2011, 08:37 PM
the real problem in this story is it's his father who's arranging it for him.

the father was at the heart of the pay to play scheme... that he's this involved in his son's career scares the hell out of me

Figster
01-31-2011, 09:18 PM

Can he operate under center? Can he stay in the pocket and make accurate throws? He's just trying to prove that he can do those things to help improve his draft stock. I don't see why people are making a big deal about this. If I were Newton, I would do everything I possibly could to help my future in the NFL in terms of where I'm drafted and how much I could potentially make.

What's being overlooked is the fact that he sees the areas he needs to work on and appears to be putting in the hours to do so. This makes me like him more than I have if anything.

Bangarang said it best,

these are legitimate questions folks with a genuine interest in Cam Newton are asking,

better days
01-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Bangarang said it best,

these are legitimate questions folks with a genuine interest in Cam Newton are asking,

The point is he has not proved anything with these workouts as nobody that matters was allowed to attend per NFL rules. He will have to prove his worth at the Combine & pro day at Auburn. This was just a black eye for him.

Figster
01-31-2011, 10:05 PM
The point is he has not proved anything with these workouts as nobody that matters was allowed to attend per NFL rules. He will have to prove his worth at the Combine & pro day at Auburn. This was just a black eye for him.

According to some, others would say (myself included) it will only increase his stock/ popularity, provided the workout goes as planned. There is a certain amount of risk involved, Cam could have an off day.

If Cam Newton gets drafted in the top ten which is probably the Newton Camp's goal, who's to say the extra coaching/workouts/ publicity didn't help them.

better days
01-31-2011, 10:12 PM
According to some, others would say (myself included) it will only increase his stock/ popularity, providing the workout goes as planned. There is a certain amount of risk involved, Cam could have an off day.

If Cam Newton gets drafted in the top ten which is probably the Newton Camp's goal, who's to say the extra publicity didn't help them.

I can say it. NO NFL team will draft Newton based on what reporters say. They will draft him based on what they have seen with their own eyes & heard with their own ears.

This workout means NOTHING. If Newton has a great combine & Pro day, he will help himself in the draft. If he does not do well at one or both of those events, it will not matter one bit what he showed reporters.

Figster
01-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Forked from: Cam Newton schedules workout in front of media (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3410136)

I can say it. NO NFL team will draft Newton based on what reporters say. They will draft him based on what they have seen with their own eyes & heard with their own ears.

This workout means NOTHING. If Newton has a great combine & Pro day, he will help himself in the draft. If he does not do well at one or both of those events, it will not matter one bit what he showed reporters.
Why is showcasing Cam Newton's learning skills/ talent to the media a bad thing? I'll bet the media shows plenty of interest and so will thousands of football fans.

Teams that are interested will watch films of the workout, listen to the reports and add it to everything else they already know about Cam Newton to help form an accurate evaluation.

Its hard for me to picture the extra exposure as something bad.

better days
01-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Forked from: Cam Newton schedules workout in front of media (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3410136)

Why is showcasing Cam Newton's talents to the media a bad thing? I'll bet the media shows plenty of interest and so will thousands of football fans.

Teams that are interested will watch films of the workout, listen to the reports and add it to everything else they already know about Cam Newton to help form an accurate evaluation.

Its hard for me to picture the extra exposure as something bad.

If that is what you want to believe, fine. I myself do not think he is helping himself at all with this.

Why did you feel this deserved to be in a seperate thread?

Figster
01-31-2011, 10:46 PM
If that is what you want to believe, fine. I myself do not think he is helping himself at all with this.

Why did you feel this deserved to be in a seperate thread?

Oh no, not again!

better days
01-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Oh no, not again!

That was my thought when I read this thread.

X-Era
02-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Merged.

Figster
02-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Merged.

Sorry about that X-Era, thanks