PDA

View Full Version : My 34-Pick Mock Draft & Notes

patmoran2006
01-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Mock drafts, especially this time of year, are about as reliable as Rafael Palmeiro’s testimony at a Congressional steroids hearing . Players will rise and fall at the combine, pro days and in interviews. I’ll bet anything at least one guy among my current top 34 falls into the third round while another not listed will go in the top 15.

Honestly, I’m predominantly attracted to this draft from Buffalo’s perspective far more than other years because of Cam Newton. It’s been long said the Bills need a franchise quarterback and if Buddy Nix concludes he’s that guy, he’ll be there with the third pick. The fact he’s a Heisman Trophy winner, would create a league wide buzz and put butts in the seats at Ralph Wilson Stadium will not be lost on management, or at least Mr. Wilson himself, even if Nix could care less.

From what we’ve seen, read and heard about Newton, he could be the next Ben Roethlisberger just as easily as transforming into JaMarcuss Russell version 2.0.

Conversely, if Nix doesn’t want Newton, as many expect he won’t, there’s a plethora of gifted defenders to choose from at pick three, ranging from perceived needs to the straight-up best player available hypothesis.
Which route will Nix go? I’m as fascinated as you are. For the time being, this is how I’m rolling with my 34-pick mock draft. I stop at 34 because this is a Buffalo-based publication and frankly, I’m not concerned with who the Houston Texans tab with the 42nd pick.

I’ve limited my Bills choice down to three players at this point.

Without further ado…

1. Carolina- Nick Fairley, DT (Auburn): New Carolina coach Ron Rivera will have at least some input in this decision and I think he may prefer the safer and more athletic Patrick Peterson. Fairley is going to have some major character issues coming into the league, if he doesn’t already, but his talent level is as good as it gets in this class at a position the Panthers stink at.

2. Denver- Da’Quan Bowers, DE (Clemson): Just like Carolina, Peterson will be another possibility here, especially with Champ Bailey being an aging free agent. New coach John Fox will run a 4-3 defense and Bowers is the best at that position in this class.

3. Buffalo- Patrick Peterson, CB (LSU): You better take Nix at his word when he says he’s taken the best player available regardless of position. Could the Bills use a defensive linemen or a potential franchise quarterback at this spot more? Sure, but no one in this draft has the athleticism of Peterson, who many think can be the next Charles Woodson.

Plus, it’s foolish to think the Bills don’t have any need at cornerback. Leodis McKelvin was wildly inconsistent last year, Terrence McGee is aging and breaking down before our very eyes, and Drayton Florence commits as many penalties as he makes big plays- not to mention he’s a pending free agent (who I’d like to see brought back).

Peterson claimed this week during interviews at the Senior Bowl that he plans on running a sub-4.3/40-yard dash.

A cornerback with the third pick?!??!?? Folks, the draft is seven rounds, not one.

4. Cincinnati- A.J. Green, WR (Georgia): He’s neck-and-neck with Peterson for the “best player available” label by many. Terrell Owens won’t be back and neither will Chad OchoCinco/Johnson. Green is a special talent and perhaps this makes grumpy Carson Palmer happier.

5. Arizona- Von Miller, OLB (Texas A&M): Quarterback is a bigger need but head coach Ken Wisenhunt may not have the luxury of time to wait around for one to develop. Expect the Cardinals to target Donovan McNabb or maybe Marc Bulger in free agency. Miller’s stock is soaring up the draft board and could be the best pass rusher in the draft.

6. Cleveland- Marcel Dareus, DL (Alabama): The Browns ran a 3-4 under Eric Mangini and will probably switch to a 3-4 with Pat Shurmur. Regardless of what they run Dareus is a good fit at either.

** Note** For the record…if Peterson is off the board before the third pick I think Dareus is one of two other guys the Bills may take.

7. San Francisco- Prince Amukamara, CB (Nebraska): With Jim Harbaugh taking over the reigns as head coach, the 49ers have plenty of time to develop a young quarterback should they choose so. The problem is they’re probably the most talented team in the NFC West from top to bottom and can win now. I expect them to fill the quarterback position via free agency (Vince Young) or trade (Kevin Kolb perhaps) and target the best player available. To me that’s Amukamara, who could make an impact immediately, especially since Nate Clements looks like a fossil at this point and could soon be gone.

8. Tennessee- Blaine Gabbert, QB (Missouri): This could be a situation where owner Bud Adams insists the team takes one, even with a new coach coming on board to replace Jeff Fisher. I’m anything but sold on Gabbert being top 10 worthy despite numerous reports suggesting otherwise, but it’s inconsequential as I predict Adams’ insistence lands the top rated QB prospect here.

9. Dallas- Cameron Jordan, DE (California): The Cowboys would love to be able to go offensive tackle to better protect Tony Romo, but there’s none close to being top 10 worthy. Jordan has been unstoppable during Senior Bowl week. By the time it’s said and done, he can land in Dallas, especially if Amukamara is off the board.

10. Washington- Cam Newton, QB (Auburn): The Redskins aren’t going anywhere with the current stable of quarterbacks with or without McNabb, and Mike Shanahan wasn’t paid all that money to win a championship within two years or get fired. He’ll have the comfort of selecting Newton and take his time developing him. Newton has franchise ability but you won’t see it in the first couple of years no matter where he goes.

**Note** You may remember with the sixth pick in this mock I listed Dareus as one of two guys other than Peterson the Bills could take with the third pick. Newton, my friends, is the other one (actually I have Newton more likely to go to Buffalo than Dareus). Don’t be shocked at all if it happens. Newton’s ceiling is mountain high and Ryan Fitzpatrick played well enough to afford Chan Gailey to not rush Newton into the lineup. It comes down completely to if Nix is comfortable putting his legacy on the line with the risky boom-or-bust Newton.

11. Houston- Robert Quinn, DE (North Carolina): Quinn’s suspension this year exemplifies everything I hate about the NCAA. Had he played this year he’d probably be long gone. Wade Phillips takes over in Houston, their defense is putrid and Quinn is clearly the best player available at this point.

12. Minnesota- Aldon Smith, LB (Missouri): Quarterback obviously is their most pressing need, but the Vikings are one of three teams (Arizona, San Francisco) I envision going the veteran route to address it (Kyle Orton, anyone?) Leslie Frazier is a defense-first kind of guy and Smith could be a perfect fit, especially if Chad Greenway bolts via free agency, whenever that begins.

13. Detroit- Akeem Ayers, LB (UCLA): A solid replacement for the departing Julian Peterson, it’s either linebacker or left tackle for the Lions here. Interestingly, at this point 10 of the first 13 picks in this mock are defensive guys.

14. St. Louis- Julio Jones, WR (Alabama): The run on defense ends here. It should take St. Louis about 10 seconds or less to make this pick. Sam Bradford needs more weapons and Jones is clearly the second best receiver in this draft after Green. I’m more confident of this pick than any in the top 14.

15. Miami- Mark Ingram, RB (Alabama): It’s highly possible both Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams could be gone. Quarterback would be an option if Gabbert or Newton where still here. Tony Sparano loves to run the ball and Ingram is the best in this class. He’s a big, bruising back that will fit well in the rugged AFC East.

16. Jacksonville- Ryan Kerrigan, DE (Purdue): Last year, Jags general manager sent shockwaves through mock draft circles when he took Tyson Alualu with the 10th pick. The move panned out as Alualu had a great rookie season. The only way to beat the Colts in the AFC South is to pressure Peyton Manning and Kerrigan is a guy who can do just that.

17. New England (from Oakland)- Derek Sherrod, OT (Mississippi State): The Patriots have six picks in the first three rounds and Bill Belichick’s job is secured. Therefore, New England can do whatever they want here. For that reason, I think quarterback Jake Locker will get a nice, long look by the organization because they’d have plenty of time to develop him, similar to what Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers when they had Brett Favre. Ultimately I think they’ll go Sherrod with Matt Light’s future here in doubt.

18. San Diego- Cameron Heyward, DL (Ohio State): Arguably the NFL’s most disappointing team in 2010, the Chargers don’t have a lot of holes. One of them is on the defensive line and Heyward can help fix that problem.

19. New York Giants- Anthony Castonzo, OT (Boston College): The Giants need help at left tackle with William Beatty looking shaky. Castonzo could eventually develop into a top-flight tackle in this league, though it won’t happen early.

20. Tampa Bay- Adrian Clayborn, DE (Iowa): The Bucs were very close to being the league’s Cinderella story last year and if they had a better pass rush, they would’ve found themselves in the playoffs. Clayborn is the best pass rusher available. He had seven tackles for losses and 3.5 sacks with Iowa last year.

21. Kansas City- Nate Solder, OT (Colorado): Despite a solid running game, right tackle has been a major problem with the resurgent Chiefs. At this point, the first-team All-American Solder would be considered a steal.

22. Indianapolis- Stephen Paea, DT (Oregon State) : You never know what Bill Polian is going to do, which considering his splendid track record is not a bad thing. The Colts would love a left tackle here but with the top three already gone, the run-stuffing Paea makes perfect sense. The 311-pounder was a first-team All-American and while he isn’t much of a pass rusher, good luck clearing him from running lanes.

23. Philadelphia- Gabe Carimi, OT (Wisconsin): A lot of people think a cornerback next to Asante Samuel is the bigger need, but Mike Vick must be protected better. Winston Justice was awful at right tackle and eventually benched. Carimi can become his replacement.

24. New Orleans- J.J. Watt, DE (Wisconsin): He happens to be the best player available and the Saints could use help with their pass rush. Running back Mikel LeShoure is a strong possibility as well.

25. Seattle- Jake Locker, QB (Washington): Pete Carroll fell in love with Matt Hasselbeck after he beat the Saints in the playoffs, but there’s little tread left on those tires. This is the perfect spot for Locker, who can sit behind Hasselbeck for at least one full season. I’m not sold on Charlie Whitehurst one bit.

** Note** If, and this is a huge if considering Nix’s desire to accumulate, not surrender draft picks, the Bills decide to move up for a specific player, very possibly a quarterback, this could be the spot to do it. Nix dealt with Seattle this past season with the Marshawn Lynch trade, and Seattle would probably love to move back and stock up on picks.

26. Baltimore- Torrey Smith, WR (Maryland): The aging Ravens receivers let Joe Flacco down in their playoff loss at Pittsburgh. Anquan Boldin will be back but Derek Mason and T.J. Houshmandzadeh may not. Regardless, Smith is an explosive receiver who scored a school-record 12 touchdowns last year. He’s also a quality returner.

27. Atlanta- Brandon Harris, CB (Miami/Fla): Atlanta won’t soon forget Aaron Rodgers torching them in the postseason. Harris is the third rated corner in the draft by nearly everyone and this seems to be a good spot for him to land. He’ll end a two-year skid of no Miami players being drafted in the first round.

28. New England- Jon Baldwin, WR (Pittsburgh): With their second pick of round one the Patriots continue to surround Brady with weapons. Baldwin has some maturity issues but Belichick will keep him check. The Patriots need receivers and he’s clearly the best available late in the first round.

29. Chicago- Tyron Smith, OT (USC): Watching Jay Cutler get beat up all season, there’s little doubt what the Bears need the most help at. This would be the fifth offensive tackle off the board.

30. New York Jets- Kyle Rudolph, TE (Notre Dame): Rex Ryan will want the best player on the board and Rudolph is that guy. With Dustin Keller in tow, Mark Sanchez would have a pair of dangerous tight ends to throw to. New York saw how well a pair of tight ends threats worked for New England with rookies Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski.

31. Pittsburgh- Mike Pouncey, G/C (Florida): His brother Maurkice was a rookie Pro Bowl selection for the Steelers as a rookie in 2010. The Steelers would be tickled if his kid brother was still on the board. He can instantly become a starter at guard for Pittsburgh in 2011.

32. Green Bay- Allen Bailey, DE (Miami/Fla): Obviously picking last gives you insight to our projected Super Bowl winner. The Packers could lose Cullen Jenkins to a big payday in free agency following the season. Bailey would be an excellent developmental replacement.

Round Two
33. New England- Mikel LeShoure, RB (Illinois): The Patriots are always stockpiling future draft picks and I’d be hardly surprised if that didn’t continue before this pick. This would be their third selection in the first 33. If they keep the pick, they could go with the second-best running back on the board in LeShoure. He ran for 1,697 yards, rushed for 17 touchdowns and would blend in fine with BenJarvus Green and Danny Woodhead.

34. Buffalo- Martez Wilson, ILB (Illinois): The top rated inside linebacker prospect on the board, the Bills desperately need help in the middle of their linebacking unit. Even if Paul Posluszny is brought back as expected, Buffalo needs an upgrade over grizzly vets Andra Davis, Akin Ayodele or Reggie Torbor; all journeyman closer to the end of their careers than the beginning. Buffalo was dead-last in the league against the run and it’s largely because they gave up chunks of yards up the middle. Wilson at 6-feet-4 and 250-pounds has stout size to be a force up the middle. The junior early entry missed most of 2009 with a herniated disk in his neck, but came back to lead his team with 112 tackles in 2010. He also had four sacks and an interception.

A warning— issues about what kind of person he is are sure to be raised in the coming months. Wilson was stabbed two years ago when he reportedly helped a friend during a fight outside a bar.

WHAT THIS MEANS
I don’t think the Bills will be interested in Ryan Mallet, even in the second round as I project he’ll still be available. If the Bills are intent on taking a potential “franchise” quarterback, they’ll grab Newton with the third pick (I don’t there’s much of a chance they’ll take Gabbert that high) or they’ll trade back into the latter half of the first if Newton slides or possibly if Nix falls in love with Locker.

Otherwise, I think it’s developmental quarterback time in the third round or later, with guys like Christian Ponder, Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton and Greg McElroy coming to mind.

I never even mentioned Gabbert, the widely regarded top quarterback prospect, as a potential Bills first round choice. I don’t think he’s a Chan Gailey type of guy.

A FEW OTHER NOTES
♦ I don’t have him sliding that far down, but if Kyle Rudolph happens to be available at pick 34, I’d be the least surprised person in the room if Buffalo grabbed him. The Bills got a first-hand look in 2010 at what effective tight ends can do to a secondary.

♦ For those wondering about Mallet, I got him going to Cincinnati exactly one pick after the Bills pass on him a second time.

♦ It’s too early in my opinion to write up a three-round mock, but for the record I currently have the Bills taking Oklahoma safety Quinton Carter in that spot.

♦ Yes, according to this current mock I have Buffalo going defense with their first three selections.

♦ It’s also too early to know exactly what picks overall the Bills will have past round three because compensatory selections need to be rewarded. Here’s what we do know: Buffalo will have the fourth pick (68th overall) of round three, the third and 25th pick (from Seattle) in round four, selection two of round five, the fourth pick of round sixth and third in round seven.

♦ Of all the players discussed, Locker is the one who can move up the most. There’s plenty of reports out there saying he’ll slip out of the first round, but I think that’s nonsense. I have him at 25 right now but would be hardly surprised if he’s a top 12 selection before this process is over.

♦ I never include trades in a mock, but I believe San Francisco, Dallas and as always, New England are prime candidates to move down the board. On the other hand, I think Houston could move up for a top defensive player while Minnesota could jump if they really love Newton or Gabbert.

elltrain22
01-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Very good article, but I hope you're wrong about Peterson. I realize that the kid a great football player, but if we don't address our front 7 w/ our first pick, I'm gonna be pissed. I think a "shutdown" corner can really only be able to shut guys down when you have an average or above average front 7; which ours is totally inadequate.

patmoran2006
01-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Very good article, but I hope you're wrong about Peterson. I realize that the kid a great football player, but if we don't address our front 7 w/ our first pick, I'm gonna be pissed. I think a "shutdown" corner can really only be able to shut guys down when you have an average or above average front 7; which ours is totally inadequate.

Psst.. I hope I'm wrong about Peterson too.

As of now, I think there are exactly three guys the Bills could take at #3: Peterson, Dareus and Newtown--- that's it. (I don't count Fairley as I think there's no chance he gets past Carolina AND Denver)

To be honest, as of right now, the guy I'd like to see the BIlls take at #3 is.. Cam Newton-- and I don't care what any reports say about him not being near top of draft or Gabbert being Top rated QB

bigbub2352
01-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Can't say i disagree...the bills usually take the player no bills fan's want to take...and we seem to love to take skill players with our top picks even thou in my opinion u can find them anywhere in the draft ever year as well as UDFA'.....that has worked out so well for us in the last 10 years why change it up now..RW just gave a ringing endorsement to Modrak so i expect nothing else (catch the sarcasm)
Not questing Peterson or his athletism but we have far bigger needs...[ass rush and stopping the run may just be what subpar McKelvin and oft-injured Mcgee needs to revive our secondary

love the 2nd rd pick by the way

Extremebillsfan247
01-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm not all in and sold on Peterson, but Ill tell you what, I'd rather it be him at 3 than Green. lol I think defense will be a heavy favorite through out the draft for the Bills. If they do draft a QB, I don't see it happening until at least the 3rd round. My guess is that it will be Ponder. If they go past the 4th with out drafting one, it wont happen this year. JMO

TacklingDummy
01-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Ryan Mallet not going in the top 34?

patmoran2006
01-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Ryan Mallet not going in the top 34?

Not by me, nope.. (I did say in it, I had him to going to Cinci right after Buffalo)

I think he is the anti-Gailey QB. I think he may fall down even further than projected.

DraftBoy
01-28-2011, 10:24 AM
A very solid mock Pat, well done. Id change a few things but that's more nitpicking than anything else.

Ebenezer
01-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Everybody knows what I think of McToast...having said that the entire secondary gets better if you have a pass rush...the running defense is horrid...draft some big bodies up front and the defense gets better faster than drafting Petersen.

wmoz11
01-28-2011, 10:39 AM
I watch as much Big-10 football as possible and I really like Wilson. Perfect size for an ILB. Nice mock.

Ebenezer
01-28-2011, 10:45 AM
And if Rudolph is there at 34 the Bills should move heaven and earth to draft him.

Beebe's Kid
01-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Nice article, Pat.

I say if we traded back into the first, it would have to be with Seattle, because we traded with them already... To agree with this point, I used the same exact thought process when I was drawing up my list of players that Merriman may talk to about coming to Buffalo, using only the current Chargers' roster. This happens to be, oddly enough, when I thought about former Pitt players that would be available because of Wannstache.

Other than that, it really was a well thought out article, and well done.

It is good to see that the upcoming bout with DW hasn't distracted you from your work. I also hope you are able to achieve the same lucidity after he pounds of you...I'm just kidding! You'll do fine!

trapezeus
01-28-2011, 11:02 AM
peterson?! you can go ahead and book another 10 years of mediocrity.

i know its 7 rounds, but the bills need a stud on the DL. Peterson isn't going to do anything with teams who know not to pass on us and simply run until it doesn't work.

I don't doubt peterson is a can't miss prospect, but the bills have a can't hit DL line right now.

and if they take peterson, they better be really, really active in free agency.

PTI
01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Awesome, we get to look forward to scoring 17-18 points a game for many years to come!!! Highly doubt a QB is not selected within the top 2 picks.

Extremebillsfan247
01-28-2011, 12:33 PM
peterson?! you can go ahead and book another 10 years of mediocrity.

i know its 7 rounds, but the bills need a stud on the DL. Peterson isn't going to do anything with teams who know not to pass on us and simply run until it doesn't work.

I don't doubt peterson is a can't miss prospect, but the bills have a can't hit DL line right now.

and if they take peterson, they better be really, really active in free agency.
Although I disagree with the 10 years of mediocrity statement simply because it takes more than just the failure of one draftee to make something so abysmal happen, the rest of your post I think is spot on. Grabbing a DB that high in the draft when you cant stop the run is like grabbing a cup of water to put out a forest fire. Lol, but this is the Bills. JMO

madness
01-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Folks, the draft is seven rounds, not one.

... and you can't fix a bad team in a single season. Stick to the plan Nix. Bills fans just don't get it.

mysticsoto
01-28-2011, 03:03 PM
The only thing good about taking Peterson with our first pick is that we'll be 1st in line to draft Luck next year...

WeAreArthurMoates
01-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Dareus, Newton or Gabbert, anyone else will be upseting to me.

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2011, 03:40 PM
If they take Newton or Gabbert at #3 I will punch numerous babies and elderly people.

X-Era
01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
2 QB's go in the top 10 and 3 go in the 1st round? Sounds about right. I think it may actually be 4 though.

Peterson is the best pick at 3, in your version, IMO. However, I don't think we will do that. I think Peterson goes to Denver and we could easily take a QB. But, if Fairley goes 1 and Peterson goes 2, I'd love to land Bowers.

If Bowers goes in the top 2, I'd prefer either a QB or Dareus even if Fairley is on the board. I'd probably prefer Green or Peterson to Fairley and I might even prefer a QB to Fairley.

Put it this way, here's my top guys in order for the Bills:

1) Da'Quan Bowers
2) Top QB if one becomes worthy of the 3 pick
3) Marcel Dareus
4) Patrick Peterson
5) AJ Green
6) Nick Fairley

X-Era
01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
If they take Newton or Gabbert at #3 I will punch numerous babies and elderly people.Should I start looking for a glove now or would you prefer just going raw fist.

YardRat
01-28-2011, 04:22 PM

If they're not ranked there now, they shouldn't be anytime in the future.

I know that's not how some front offices work it, but it should be.

If I'm Nix I don't roll the dice with the #3 pick on a QB. I'll take the bigger gamble in the second.

X-Era
01-28-2011, 04:25 PM
If they're not ranked there now, they shouldn't be anytime in the future.

I know that's not how some front offices work it, but it should be.

If I'm Nix I don't roll the dice with the #3 pick on a QB. I'll take the bigger gamble in the second.I understand your take on this.

SquishDaFish
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
2 QB's go in the top 10 and 3 go in the 1st round? Sounds about right. I think it may actually be 4 though.

Peterson is the best pick at 3, in your version, IMO. However, I don't think we will do that. I think Peterson goes to Denver and we could easily take a QB. But, if Fairley goes 1 and Peterson goes 2, I'd love to land Bowers.

If Bowers goes in the top 2, I'd prefer either a QB or Dareus even if Fairley is on the board. I'd probably prefer Green or Peterson to Fairley and I might even prefer a QB to Fairley.

Put it this way, here's my top guys in order for the Bills:

1) Da'Quan Bowers
3) Marcel Dareus
4) Patrick Peterson
5) AJ Green
6) Nick Fairley

I agree with you except on Fairley. I agree with your order outside of Fairley because I think he goes 1 or 2 so it doesnt matter

TigerJ
01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
That's a reasonable mock. I do hope Buffalo picks up another defensive end in the top half of the draft. I also wonder why you think Gabbert is not a Gailey type guy, not that I'm convinced the Bills will or should take him.

Lone Stranger
01-28-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm OK with your #2 and #3 but prefer Dareus at #1. Dick Jauron isn't the coach any more. We've had enough selections of CBs over the years. Time to try a new tack.

YardRat
01-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Should I start looking for a glove now or would you prefer just going raw fist.

I bet that's not the first time he's heard that.

tampabay25690
01-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Mock drafts, especially this time of year, are about as reliable as Rafael Palmeiro’s testimony at a Congressional steroids hearing . Players will rise and fall at the combine, pro days and in interviews. I’ll bet anything at least one guy among my current top 34 falls into the third round while another not listed will go in the top 15.

Honestly, I’m predominantly attracted to this draft from Buffalo’s perspective far more than other years because of Cam Newton. It’s been long said the Bills need a franchise quarterback and if Buddy Nix concludes he’s that guy, he’ll be there with the third pick. The fact he’s a Heisman Trophy winner, would create a league wide buzz and put butts in the seats at Ralph Wilson Stadium will not be lost on management, or at least Mr. Wilson himself, even if Nix could care less.

From what we’ve seen, read and heard about Newton, he could be the next Ben Roethlisberger just as easily as transforming into JaMarcuss Russell version 2.0.

Conversely, if Nix doesn’t want Newton, as many expect he won’t, there’s a plethora of gifted defenders to choose from at pick three, ranging from perceived needs to the straight-up best player available hypothesis.
Which route will Nix go? I’m as fascinated as you are. For the time being, this is how I’m rolling with my 34-pick mock draft. I stop at 34 because this is a Buffalo-based publication and frankly, I’m not concerned with who the Houston Texans tab with the 42nd pick.

I’ve limited my Bills choice down to three players at this point.

Without further ado…

1. Carolina- Nick Fairley, DT (Auburn): New Carolina coach Ron Rivera will have at least some input in this decision and I think he may prefer the safer and more athletic Patrick Peterson. Fairley is going to have some major character issues coming into the league, if he doesn’t already, but his talent level is as good as it gets in this class at a position the Panthers stink at.

2. Denver- Da’Quan Bowers, DE (Clemson): Just like Carolina, Peterson will be another possibility here, especially with Champ Bailey being an aging free agent. New coach John Fox will run a 4-3 defense and Bowers is the best at that position in this class.

3. Buffalo- Patrick Peterson, CB (LSU): You better take Nix at his word when he says he’s taken the best player available regardless of position. Could the Bills use a defensive linemen or a potential franchise quarterback at this spot more? Sure, but no one in this draft has the athleticism of Peterson, who many think can be the next Charles Woodson.

Plus, it’s foolish to think the Bills don’t have any need at cornerback. Leodis McKelvin was wildly inconsistent last year, Terrence McGee is aging and breaking down before our very eyes, and Drayton Florence commits as many penalties as he makes big plays- not to mention he’s a pending free agent (who I’d like to see brought back).

Peterson claimed this week during interviews at the Senior Bowl that he plans on running a sub-4.3/40-yard dash.

A cornerback with the third pick?!??!?? Folks, the draft is seven rounds, not one.

4. Cincinnati- A.J. Green, WR (Georgia): He’s neck-and-neck with Peterson for the “best player available” label by many. Terrell Owens won’t be back and neither will Chad OchoCinco/Johnson. Green is a special talent and perhaps this makes grumpy Carson Palmer happier.

5. Arizona- Von Miller, OLB (Texas A&M): Quarterback is a bigger need but head coach Ken Wisenhunt may not have the luxury of time to wait around for one to develop. Expect the Cardinals to target Donovan McNabb or maybe Marc Bulger in free agency. Miller’s stock is soaring up the draft board and could be the best pass rusher in the draft.

6. Cleveland- Marcel Dareus, DL (Alabama): The Browns ran a 3-4 under Eric Mangini and will probably switch to a 3-4 with Pat Shurmur. Regardless of what they run Dareus is a good fit at either.

** Note** For the record…if Peterson is off the board before the third pick I think Dareus is one of two other guys the Bills may take.

7. San Francisco- Prince Amukamara, CB (Nebraska): With Jim Harbaugh taking over the reigns as head coach, the 49ers have plenty of time to develop a young quarterback should they choose so. The problem is they’re probably the most talented team in the NFC West from top to bottom and can win now. I expect them to fill the quarterback position via free agency (Vince Young) or trade (Kevin Kolb perhaps) and target the best player available. To me that’s Amukamara, who could make an impact immediately, especially since Nate Clements looks like a fossil at this point and could soon be gone.

8. Tennessee- Blaine Gabbert, QB (Missouri): This could be a situation where owner Bud Adams insists the team takes one, even with a new coach coming on board to replace Jeff Fisher. I’m anything but sold on Gabbert being top 10 worthy despite numerous reports suggesting otherwise, but it’s inconsequential as I predict Adams’ insistence lands the top rated QB prospect here.

9. Dallas- Cameron Jordan, DE (California): The Cowboys would love to be able to go offensive tackle to better protect Tony Romo, but there’s none close to being top 10 worthy. Jordan has been unstoppable during Senior Bowl week. By the time it’s said and done, he can land in Dallas, especially if Amukamara is off the board.

10. Washington- Cam Newton, QB (Auburn): The Redskins aren’t going anywhere with the current stable of quarterbacks with or without McNabb, and Mike Shanahan wasn’t paid all that money to win a championship within two years or get fired. He’ll have the comfort of selecting Newton and take his time developing him. Newton has franchise ability but you won’t see it in the first couple of years no matter where he goes.

**Note** You may remember with the sixth pick in this mock I listed Dareus as one of two guys other than Peterson the Bills could take with the third pick. Newton, my friends, is the other one (actually I have Newton more likely to go to Buffalo than Dareus). Don’t be shocked at all if it happens. Newton’s ceiling is mountain high and Ryan Fitzpatrick played well enough to afford Chan Gailey to not rush Newton into the lineup. It comes down completely to if Nix is comfortable putting his legacy on the line with the risky boom-or-bust Newton.

11. Houston- Robert Quinn, DE (North Carolina): Quinn’s suspension this year exemplifies everything I hate about the NCAA. Had he played this year he’d probably be long gone. Wade Phillips takes over in Houston, their defense is putrid and Quinn is clearly the best player available at this point.

12. Minnesota- Aldon Smith, LB (Missouri): Quarterback obviously is their most pressing need, but the Vikings are one of three teams (Arizona, San Francisco) I envision going the veteran route to address it (Kyle Orton, anyone?) Leslie Frazier is a defense-first kind of guy and Smith could be a perfect fit, especially if Chad Greenway bolts via free agency, whenever that begins.

13. Detroit- Akeem Ayers, LB (UCLA): A solid replacement for the departing Julian Peterson, it’s either linebacker or left tackle for the Lions here. Interestingly, at this point 10 of the first 13 picks in this mock are defensive guys.

14. St. Louis- Julio Jones, WR (Alabama): The run on defense ends here. It should take St. Louis about 10 seconds or less to make this pick. Sam Bradford needs more weapons and Jones is clearly the second best receiver in this draft after Green. I’m more confident of this pick than any in the top 14.

15. Miami- Mark Ingram, RB (Alabama): It’s highly possible both Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams could be gone. Quarterback would be an option if Gabbert or Newton where still here. Tony Sparano loves to run the ball and Ingram is the best in this class. He’s a big, bruising back that will fit well in the rugged AFC East.

16. Jacksonville- Ryan Kerrigan, DE (Purdue): Last year, Jags general manager sent shockwaves through mock draft circles when he took Tyson Alualu with the 10th pick. The move panned out as Alualu had a great rookie season. The only way to beat the Colts in the AFC South is to pressure Peyton Manning and Kerrigan is a guy who can do just that.

17. New England (from Oakland)- Derek Sherrod, OT (Mississippi State): The Patriots have six picks in the first three rounds and Bill Belichick’s job is secured. Therefore, New England can do whatever they want here. For that reason, I think quarterback Jake Locker will get a nice, long look by the organization because they’d have plenty of time to develop him, similar to what Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers when they had Brett Favre. Ultimately I think they’ll go Sherrod with Matt Light’s future here in doubt.

18. San Diego- Cameron Heyward, DL (Ohio State): Arguably the NFL’s most disappointing team in 2010, the Chargers don’t have a lot of holes. One of them is on the defensive line and Heyward can help fix that problem.

19. New York Giants- Anthony Castonzo, OT (Boston College): The Giants need help at left tackle with William Beatty looking shaky. Castonzo could eventually develop into a top-flight tackle in this league, though it won’t happen early.

20. Tampa Bay- Adrian Clayborn, DE (Iowa): The Bucs were very close to being the league’s Cinderella story last year and if they had a better pass rush, they would’ve found themselves in the playoffs. Clayborn is the best pass rusher available. He had seven tackles for losses and 3.5 sacks with Iowa last year.

21. Kansas City- Nate Solder, OT (Colorado): Despite a solid running game, right tackle has been a major problem with the resurgent Chiefs. At this point, the first-team All-American Solder would be considered a steal.

22. Indianapolis- Stephen Paea, DT (Oregon State) : You never know what Bill Polian is going to do, which considering his splendid track record is not a bad thing. The Colts would love a left tackle here but with the top three already gone, the run-stuffing Paea makes perfect sense. The 311-pounder was a first-team All-American and while he isn’t much of a pass rusher, good luck clearing him from running lanes.

23. Philadelphia- Gabe Carimi, OT (Wisconsin): A lot of people think a cornerback next to Asante Samuel is the bigger need, but Mike Vick must be protected better. Winston Justice was awful at right tackle and eventually benched. Carimi can become his replacement.

24. New Orleans- J.J. Watt, DE (Wisconsin): He happens to be the best player available and the Saints could use help with their pass rush. Running back Mikel LeShoure is a strong possibility as well.

25. Seattle- Jake Locker, QB (Washington): Pete Carroll fell in love with Matt Hasselbeck after he beat the Saints in the playoffs, but there’s little tread left on those tires. This is the perfect spot for Locker, who can sit behind Hasselbeck for at least one full season. I’m not sold on Charlie Whitehurst one bit.

** Note** If, and this is a huge if considering Nix’s desire to accumulate, not surrender draft picks, the Bills decide to move up for a specific player, very possibly a quarterback, this could be the spot to do it. Nix dealt with Seattle this past season with the Marshawn Lynch trade, and Seattle would probably love to move back and stock up on picks.

26. Baltimore- Torrey Smith, WR (Maryland): The aging Ravens receivers let Joe Flacco down in their playoff loss at Pittsburgh. Anquan Boldin will be back but Derek Mason and T.J. Houshmandzadeh may not. Regardless, Smith is an explosive receiver who scored a school-record 12 touchdowns last year. He’s also a quality returner.

27. Atlanta- Brandon Harris, CB (Miami/Fla): Atlanta won’t soon forget Aaron Rodgers torching them in the postseason. Harris is the third rated corner in the draft by nearly everyone and this seems to be a good spot for him to land. He’ll end a two-year skid of no Miami players being drafted in the first round.

28. New England- Jon Baldwin, WR (Pittsburgh): With their second pick of round one the Patriots continue to surround Brady with weapons. Baldwin has some maturity issues but Belichick will keep him check. The Patriots need receivers and he’s clearly the best available late in the first round.

29. Chicago- Tyron Smith, OT (USC): Watching Jay Cutler get beat up all season, there’s little doubt what the Bears need the most help at. This would be the fifth offensive tackle off the board.

30. New York Jets- Kyle Rudolph, TE (Notre Dame): Rex Ryan will want the best player on the board and Rudolph is that guy. With Dustin Keller in tow, Mark Sanchez would have a pair of dangerous tight ends to throw to. New York saw how well a pair of tight ends threats worked for New England with rookies Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski.

31. Pittsburgh- Mike Pouncey, G/C (Florida): His brother Maurkice was a rookie Pro Bowl selection for the Steelers as a rookie in 2010. The Steelers would be tickled if his kid brother was still on the board. He can instantly become a starter at guard for Pittsburgh in 2011.

32. Green Bay- Allen Bailey, DE (Miami/Fla): Obviously picking last gives you insight to our projected Super Bowl winner. The Packers could lose Cullen Jenkins to a big payday in free agency following the season. Bailey would be an excellent developmental replacement.

Round Two
33. New England- Mikel LeShoure, RB (Illinois): The Patriots are always stockpiling future draft picks and I’d be hardly surprised if that didn’t continue before this pick. This would be their third selection in the first 33. If they keep the pick, they could go with the second-best running back on the board in LeShoure. He ran for 1,697 yards, rushed for 17 touchdowns and would blend in fine with BenJarvus Green and Danny Woodhead.

34. Buffalo- Martez Wilson, ILB (Illinois): The top rated inside linebacker prospect on the board, the Bills desperately need help in the middle of their linebacking unit. Even if Paul Posluszny is brought back as expected, Buffalo needs an upgrade over grizzly vets Andra Davis, Akin Ayodele or Reggie Torbor; all journeyman closer to the end of their careers than the beginning. Buffalo was dead-last in the league against the run and it’s largely because they gave up chunks of yards up the middle. Wilson at 6-feet-4 and 250-pounds has stout size to be a force up the middle. The junior early entry missed most of 2009 with a herniated disk in his neck, but came back to lead his team with 112 tackles in 2010. He also had four sacks and an interception.

A warning— issues about what kind of person he is are sure to be raised in the coming months. Wilson was stabbed two years ago when he reportedly helped a friend during a fight outside a bar.

WHAT THIS MEANS
I don’t think the Bills will be interested in Ryan Mallet, even in the second round as I project he’ll still be available. If the Bills are intent on taking a potential “franchise” quarterback, they’ll grab Newton with the third pick (I don’t there’s much of a chance they’ll take Gabbert that high) or they’ll trade back into the latter half of the first if Newton slides or possibly if Nix falls in love with Locker.

Otherwise, I think it’s developmental quarterback time in the third round or later, with guys like Christian Ponder, Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton and Greg McElroy coming to mind.

I never even mentioned Gabbert, the widely regarded top quarterback prospect, as a potential Bills first round choice. I don’t think he’s a Chan Gailey type of guy.

A FEW OTHER NOTES
♦ I don’t have him sliding that far down, but if Kyle Rudolph happens to be available at pick 34, I’d be the least surprised person in the room if Buffalo grabbed him. The Bills got a first-hand look in 2010 at what effective tight ends can do to a secondary.

♦ For those wondering about Mallet, I got him going to Cincinnati exactly one pick after the Bills pass on him a second time.

♦ It’s too early in my opinion to write up a three-round mock, but for the record I currently have the Bills taking Oklahoma safety Quinton Carter in that spot.

♦ Yes, according to this current mock I have Buffalo going defense with their first three selections.

♦ It’s also too early to know exactly what picks overall the Bills will have past round three because compensatory selections need to be rewarded. Here’s what we do know: Buffalo will have the fourth pick (68th overall) of round three, the third and 25th pick (from Seattle) in round four, selection two of round five, the fourth pick of round sixth and third in round seven.

♦ Of all the players discussed, Locker is the one who can move up the most. There’s plenty of reports out there saying he’ll slip out of the first round, but I think that’s nonsense. I have him at 25 right now but would be hardly surprised if he’s a top 12 selection before this process is over.

♦ I never include trades in a mock, but I believe San Francisco, Dallas and as always, New England are prime candidates to move down the board. On the other hand, I think Houston could move up for a top defensive player while Minnesota could jump if they really love Newton or Gabbert.

Nice job and I agree with alot you said.....
I do think there is a possibilty that Carolina takes Cam Newton....
Just have a hunch depending on his public workout will go....
I think the bills will grab Peterson becasue I do agree that he is maybe the best athlete in the draft.....

tampabay25690
01-28-2011, 08:00 PM
The only thing good about taking Peterson with our first pick is that we'll be 1st in line to draft Luck next year...

Disagree 100%

tampabay25690
01-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Dareus, Newton or Gabbert, anyone else will be upseting to me.

Why would u be upset if we draft Patrick Peterson....
Does anyone even know what this guy may be capable of??????
Look what the jets can do with a shut down CB like REVIS............

I want a STUD DL guy as well but Pat Peterson can play.......
Why is everyone anti a #1 CB????

I dont want to hear we can't stop the run either......
My sister knows that too........
If we grab Peterson I will be happy as hell becasue the Bills took the best BY FAR player at #3.

Ginger Vitis
01-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I am starting to warm up to the idea of taking Peterson at 3.. Drafting a player at 3 who in 2 years will be the best in the NFL at his position is not a terrble thing

Extremebillsfan247
01-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Mel Kiper has us taking Marcel Dareus at 3. He doesn't see Peterson getting passed Denver. It's interesting how you have him slipping all the way to the 6th. Is Dareus a reach a 3 in your opinion? What if we did take Dareus, and then picked up Wilson at 34 as you predict here? How would that grade from the outset?

YardRat
01-29-2011, 01:38 AM
A lot of mocks have Dareus going past the top 5, even to 12-16.

baalworship
01-29-2011, 08:53 AM
I would much rather have Robert Quinn over Peterson or Von Miller.

Mr. Pink
01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Where's Julio Jones?

He's probably going to be the 2nd WR taken.

X-Era
01-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Where's Julio Jones?

He's probably going to be the 2nd WR taken.I think as teams get more of a chance to watch him he will go top 15. I like him a lot.

Sportsuser101
01-31-2011, 08:32 AM
I'd love Peterson. I think he's the best player in the draft.