PDA

View Full Version : Pegula meets with NHL Executive Committee, agreement imminent

Nighthawk
01-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Hopefully this thing gets done soon...I'm tired of the mediocrity that consumes this organization!

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/01/pegula-meets-with-executive-committee.html

hydro
01-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
Sabres expected to announce by Thursday or Friday the purchase agreement by billionaire Terry Pegula. Great news for Sabres fans

SkateZilla
01-29-2011, 01:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6071370

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Buffalo Sabres will announce a purchase agreement by billionaire Terry Pegula by the end of the week, multiples sources told ESPN.com on Saturday.

The Sabres' sale was updated at the NHL's Board of Governors meeting here at All-Star Weekend. Once the purchase agreement is announced, the sale is expected to close within a month, sources said.

Pegula on Saturday morning met with the Board of Governors' executive committee, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com. He is set to take over ownership of the NHL club from Tom Golisano for a reported $175 million.

Slim
01-29-2011, 02:06 PM
****ing awesome.

YardRat
01-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Nice to see a poorly kept 'secret' made official.

SabreEleven
01-29-2011, 05:51 PM
A new thread on this subject was really necessary?

Michael82
01-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Yeah baby! We finally have an owner that cares about winning and not just his pocketbook! And he's rich too! :bf1:

:dance3:

JD
01-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Anyone read the paper this morning? Watch the fracking story paint Pegula as a bad guy..protests form outside HSBC which eventually pushes him away from ownership. ****ing liberals.

Note: I only say this because that's how it would happen normally to Buffalo lol

SabreEleven
01-30-2011, 11:07 AM
good for you, Larry. Go back to ****ing up the city and leaving the Sabres alone...

Pegula meets with executive committee

The Sabres did not send a representative to the board of governors' meeting in Cary, which is a suburb of Raleigh.:lolpoint: Sabres spokesman Michael Gilbert said today Quinn was absent because his flight into Raleigh was canceled.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/01/pegula-meets-with-executive-committee.html

Jan Reimers
01-30-2011, 11:30 AM
It would be nice to see Pegula take ownership before the trade deadline. Don't know if he would do that much, but he might give Darcy the go ahead to move some of our deadwood.

YardRat
01-30-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article327738.ece

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Terry Pegula left a good impression during a meeting with the NHL executive committee Saturday morning, showing off his regular-guy personality while confirming he has both the financial strength and passion that would make him a successful owner of the Buffalo Sabres.

Pegula met with the five-member panel before the NHL held its full board of governors meetings and then flew back to his home in Boca Raton, Fla. He was not available to comment, but it appeared the billionaire from Pennsylvania remained on course to purchase the Sabres within the next few weeks.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman would not speculate on when the deal, which includes $175 million for the Sabres and an additional $14 million in liabilities, would be completed. Bettman has been impressed with Pegula and his love for hockey and said the longtime Sabres fan has the credentials to become a good owner.

"I've spent time with him on multiple occasions," Bettman said after a news conference in RBC Center as part of All-Star weekend. "I think he's a good guy. He has the resources. He's familiar with the area. I think when he lived in Pittsburgh he was a Sabres season-ticket holder. He obviously loves the game. He's investing in it on all levels."

Michael82
01-30-2011, 03:47 PM
good for you, Larry. Go back to ****ing up the city and leaving the Sabres alone...

Pegula meets with executive committee

The Sabres did not send a representative to the board of governors' meeting in Cary, which is a suburb of Raleigh.:lolpoint: Sabres spokesman Michael Gilbert said today Quinn was absent because his flight into Raleigh was canceled.

:rofl: I love that his flight was cancelled! Pegula probably paid money for that to happen. :snicker:

elltrain22
01-30-2011, 03:49 PM
This is such great, great news. I hate to sound greedy, but I can't wait until he buys the Bills too!!

Michael82
01-30-2011, 03:57 PM
This is such great, great news. I hate to sound greedy, but I can't wait until he buys the Bills too!!
I still think that him buying the Sabres is only part 1. I mean, he has the cash and can afford both. The fans would worship him like a God if he bought the Bills and Sabres and spent the money to make both teams winners.

:pray: :dream:

Jan Reimers
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Anyone read the paper this morning? Watch the fracking story paint Pegula as a bad guy..protests form outside HSBC which eventually pushes him away from ownership. ****ing liberals.

Note: I only say this because that's how it would happen normally to Buffalo lol
Both the timing and the placement of the article on his company's environmental violations were ridiculous. Couldn't the ultra-liberal Buffalo News have just given us a few days to savor the good news before they shoved this muckraking crap up our butts?

Nighthawk
01-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Both the timing and the placement of the article on his company's environmental violations were ridiculous. Couldn't the ultra-liberal Buffalo News have just given us a few days to savor the good news before they shoved this muckraking crap up our butts?

I honestly couldn't believe that ****. This area wonders why it is the way it is...f'n ridiculous was the timing of the story.

SkateZilla
01-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Timing + Headline = Sweeps. Main Goal of Newspapers

JD
01-30-2011, 08:54 PM

I was all excited reading the initial headline then, BOOM sure enough.. they bring up the "fracking" just under the main story, on the front page.

What a joke.

JD
01-30-2011, 08:56 PM
I wrote a nice email to the editor about the piece. Hopefully a few of you do the same, not that it'll matter.. but still

chernobylwraiths
01-30-2011, 09:53 PM
The story on Pegula's business is news. I want to see what the new prospective owner is like, warts and all.

SabreEleven
01-30-2011, 10:20 PM
How long will it take for Pegula to become cell mates with Rigas?

Jan Reimers
01-31-2011, 04:29 AM
The story on Pegula's business is news. I want to see what the new prospective owner is like, warts and all.
Warren Buffett owns the Buffalo News and several other companies. I want to see negative stories in the News about his companies' political contributions and violations of rules, regulations and ethics. Oh wait . . . he's not only the owner, but a liberal Democrat as well. His companies are perfect, then.

chernobylwraiths
01-31-2011, 06:04 AM
Warren Buffet owns the Buffalo News and several other companies. I want to see negative stories in the News about his companies' political contributions and violations of rules, regulations and ethics. Oh wait . . . he's not only the owner, but a liberal Democrat as well. His companies are perfect, then.

WTF? Is it wrong now to want to know about these things? I'm sure the Buffalo News has been trying to dig up dirt on this guy since his name came up about wanting to buy the Sabres. If his company did those things and were fined like that, it is the truth. What Jan? Do you not want to know the truth about people that are going to possibly try and do good for your teams? If he bashes kittens' heads in with a shovel, is that ok as long as he brings a championship to Buffalo? You love the Constitution so much, how about freedom of the press?

Holy crap, if this is really the worst that they can come up with on this guy, I would think it would be pretty mild stuff.
- his company fell into the middle regarding fines
- his company was near the top in violations, but also one of the if not the largest
- his company gave big political contributions

I really stopped reading the article because I felt is was a piece slanted against the company. I don't necessarily feel the owner of the company (or president of a country) should be held at fault for every little thing that happens that goes wrong. I also feel that companies shouldn't be held responsible for giving to political contributions or lobbying to get votes. I think the fact that they are even ALLOWED to should be stopped, but why fault a company when they are doing something not only legal, but encouraged. Legalized bribery.

I just find it ridiculous that you throw that liberal bull**** at me Jan, when all I said was it was an article with truth in it and it was news. The guy IS attempting to buy the Sabres and people WILL want to know about him and the companies he has run in the past. If Warren Buffet all of a sudden decided to buy the Bills, I would want to know his proclivities towards kittens as well.

SkateZilla
01-31-2011, 08:57 AM
didnt PayChex get in trouble for something right after or before Golisano Bought the sabres?

as if anyone cares, PayChex just went through a CEO/President change in Sept. '10

Jan Reimers
01-31-2011, 10:39 AM
It appears to me that the News was waiting to ambush Pegula. I simply don't believe that the huge story on his violations and political contributions was just finished and ready to print at exactly the same time as the story on his presentation to the NHL governors. I think the News had the negative story ready and waiting to launch at whatever point Pegula made known his intention to buy the Sabres.

The timing was purposefully hurtful. And with the News' liberal tradition, I believe politics played a large part.

trapezeus
01-31-2011, 10:59 AM
most people don't know what fracking is and had no desire. they should know what their new owner did. The news also did a lot of paychex articles when golisano took the helm. It came out that he was a hard nosed guy that was hard to work with but always got a job done when he put his mind to it.

I really don't think there is an agenda to reporting some basic history and facts about the guy.

and like someone else said, the news is out to generate a profit. so if the timing of htat story helps sales, they'll do it. i'd think our great conservatives who love capitalism at all costs could appreciate why a company would do that.

And lastly, politics don't matter to liberals or conservatives when it comes to buffalo sports.

if a hollywood elite with billions of dollars came back to buffalo to buy the bills and said, "i'm making this team a superbowl winner with high profile players, adequate talent and a proper front office that showcases buffalo for what it is, a great town that needs its moment in the sun. Of course, I'll still be the CEO of my hippie company that makes billions off of hemp clothing and I'll be heavily supporting my charities of wildlife preserves, gay marriage, and health care for all. I'll also continue to appear at black tie events with obama and talk poorly about christians."

i can guarantee you the catholic parrish's of buffalo would be full of good wishes for our owner.

Fracker or not, i think we are all on board with a guy who has a vision to fix the sabres and make them winners.

ddaryl
01-31-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't know what's sadder.. the fact that some people here would prefer to keep others in the dark about realities if it means their team has a better chance at winning a championship.

or the fact that right wingers got all stirred up and crazy over an article that has merit regardless of timing.

after reading the article in question I have only one thing on my mind. How the **** was this allowed

The gas resides in shale rock deep in the earth and must be extracted through a process, commonly referred to as hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking," developed in recent years by Halliburton, which successfully lobbied to get the method exempted from review and regulation (http://www.propublica.org/article/industry-defends-federal-loophole-for-drilling-before-hearing-605) by the federal Environmental Protection Agency.
SO now I'm off educating myself more on this Fracking crap... and how insane it was to not regulate this process from the get go.

and I'm in no way against Pegula because of any of this, but I on the other hand appreciate the insight.

So how about we leave the ridiculous political comments out of the Sabre's forum and get back to just talking hockey

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
GR reported that the sale will be announced Thursday.

hydro
01-31-2011, 12:25 PM

Thursday morning to be exact!

chernobylwraiths
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
I will refrain from sex until that time!

Dr. Lecter
01-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Me too!

trapezeus
01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
ddaryl, do your research on fracking. it's not really cut and dry regardless of what either side says. A lot of objective people say, "it's not great for the environment but in terms of how you can access natural gas it's probably a decent intermediary move until they refine the technology to do it better and cleaner."

You'll hear anti frackers say it's just pure crap they push down, you'll hear pro guys say it's just high pressured water. i would get it's something in between and based on the energy we consume, we need to get access to it. So for 2011, it's probably the best way to do it. it probably needs to be improved like everything we do.

SabreEleven
01-31-2011, 04:31 PM
I will refrain from sex until that time!

How is this different from the rest of your life?

SabreEleven
01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Me too!

this joke wrote itself.

Michael82
01-31-2011, 05:02 PM

Excellent! :bf1:

SABuffalo786
01-31-2011, 07:28 PM
It appears to me that the News was waiting to ambush Pegula. I simply don't believe that the huge story on his violations and political contributions was just finished and ready to print at exactly the same time as the story on his presentation to the NHL governors. I think the News had the negative story ready and waiting to launch at whatever point Pegula made known his intention to buy the Sabres.

The timing was purposefully hurtful. And with the News' liberal tradition, I believe politics played a large part.

Knock it off with the political bull****. No one wants to hear it.

JD
01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
ddaryl, do your research on fracking. it's not really cut and dry regardless of what either side says. A lot of objective people say, "it's not great for the environment but in terms of how you can access natural gas it's probably a decent intermediary move until they refine the technology to do it better and cleaner."

You'll hear anti frackers say it's just pure crap they push down, you'll hear pro guys say it's just high pressured water. i would get it's something in between and based on the energy we consume, we need to get access to it. So for 2011, it's probably the best way to do it. it probably needs to be improved like everything we do.
What I've read about fracking is that it forces chemicals and natural gas into the water table. There are videos of people actually lighting their faucet water on fire in pennsylvania.

Luckily I live in the jungle and bath in the rivers nude.

Jan Reimers
02-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Knock it off with the political bull****. No one wants to hear it.
Was the timing of the anti-Pegula article just a coincidence then? Please tell us why the News would run a huge story on Pegula's alleged (and long past) wrongdoings on the very day they reported his meeting with the NHL governors.

And please, don't tell me what to do or say.

chernobylwraiths
02-01-2011, 06:19 AM
How is this different from the rest of your life?

Well, that includes self gratification... oh wait

I'm out.

chernobylwraiths
02-01-2011, 06:28 AM
Was the timing of the anti-Pegula article just a coincidence then? Please tell us why the News would run a huge story on Pegula's alleged (and long past) wrongdoings on the very day they reported his meeting with the NHL governors.

And please, don't tell me what to do or say.

Well MAYBE it is because he is almost definitely going to be the next Sabres owner. MAYBE it is because they are giving some perspective on how he runs his companies (which some of you will love because it gives the impression that he is a win at all costs type of guy then). The last time the News ran stories on the guy that was going to buy the Sabres, they were burned by the Hammister group and Golisano stepped in at the last minute. So, MAYBE they wanted to make sure things were going to actually happen before putting the story out there.

SkateZilla
02-01-2011, 05:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6080304

rbochan
02-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Pegula Set To Takeover on February 22

"BUFFALO (WIVB) - Sabres fans will have to wait 17 days for their new owner. Speaking with News 4 Sports Director, Terry Pegula says he expects to take control of the team on February 22nd. That's when the NHL Board of Governors should approve his $189 million dollar purchase of the team from Tom Golisano..."

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/pegula-set-to-takeover-on-february-22

hydro
02-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Pegula tells Murphy that he's excited about becoming the Sabres owner, and believes the team "will win the Stanley Cup, more than once."

By taking over on February 22nd, Pegula will have nearly a full week of control before the NHL trade deadline on the 28th.

:bf1:

Michael82
02-07-2011, 08:37 AM
That's perfect! I was hoping the deal would be finalized and he would own the Sabres by the trade deadline. It will definitely be interesting now...is he going to be a buyer or a seller? Hmmm....I hope he sells.

OpIv37
02-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Sell! Sell! Sell!

trapezeus
02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
one week being saddled with a GM that you potentially didn't want is a tough spot to be in. i wouldn't be surprised if they just sit still and ride out this year. Classic buffalo.

SabreEleven
02-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Me and Terry

http://blogs.wivb.com/2011/02/07/me-and-terry/

“That’s good,” he said. “We’re gonna win a Stanley Cup. And then you know what we’re gonna do? We’re gonna win another Stanley Cup.”

:drool: :bf1:

Dr. Lecter
02-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Didn't John Rigas say he was going to give us the tools to win the Cup after 1999?

SpillerThrills
02-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Didn't John Rigas say he was going to give us the tools to win the Cup after 1999?

the question is, was Rigas a Sabres fan? what owner of the team he loves and grew up loving doesn't want his team to succeed?

Bufftp
02-07-2011, 09:12 PM
I think TP is a very different owner than Rigas, and more liquid too.

Michael82
02-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Me and Terry

http://blogs.wivb.com/2011/02/07/me-and-terry/

“That’s good,” he said. “We’re gonna win a Stanley Cup. And then you know what we’re gonna do? We’re gonna win another Stanley Cup.”

:drool: :bf1:
I'm surprised no one talked about the other thing he said that he "loves Lindy Ruff"

Hmmm....so if the rumors are true and he keeps Darcy Regier and apparently now Lindy Ruff...what's changed? :scratch:

Jan Reimers
02-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm surprised no one talked about the other thing he said that he "loves Lindy Ruff"

Hmmm....so if the rumors are true and he keeps Darcy Regier and apparently now Lindy Ruff...what's changed? :scratch:
No one really knows what kind of contraints Darcy labored under with Golisano/Quinn. As for Lindy, if you provide him the talent, I think he will win.

Dude
02-08-2011, 08:10 AM

Hmmm....so if the rumors are true and he keeps Darcy Regier and apparently now Lindy Ruff...what's changed? :scratch:Everything.

trapezeus
02-08-2011, 09:48 AM
it's odd. for being a team for so long, darcy keeps going out and getting small forwards and lindy loves to play good defense.

These two aren't a fit for each other. Lindy breaks scorers from scoring, and the small guys have no back up when they play physical.

I really think darcy is getting the boot by the end of the season.

SabreEleven
02-08-2011, 06:21 PM
His daughter's blog spot..

http://jpegula.blogspot.com/

SabreEleven
02-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I've been getting text's from WGR saying the league owners are in the process of voting for this sale....he could be owner by tomorrow

JD
02-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Owners are voting by fax to save the rainforests