PDA

View Full Version : Christian Ponder

Michael82
01-30-2011, 04:43 PM
I was reading an article the other day about how Chan Gailey tried to recruit Ponder to Georgia Tech. I didn't know this and now after him working with Ponder for a week, does anyone else have a strange feeling that Christian Ponder is Gailey's target at Quarterback? I just pray it isn't in the 1st round. In the little bit I've seen of him, I'm not impressed. What do the draft Gurus say about him? Should we be excited?

Here's the blurb from the article...

Back when Chan Gailey was coach at Georgia Tech, a quarterback from Colleyville, Texas, caught his attention. Gailey was a fan of Christian Ponder from the beginning and tried to recruit Ponder to Atlanta.

"I told him one day I'd get to coach him," Gailey said with a laugh. "I just didn't know it'd be here."

Though Gailey attempted to convince Ponder to go to Georgia Tech, Gailey said he never really thought he had a chance of swaying Ponder from Florida State.

"I don't hold that against him too much," said Gailey, who described Ponder as "a man among boys" during his high school days.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-01-26/sports/os-florida-state-news-0127-20110126_1_seminoles-offensive-line-coach-senior-bowl-chan-gailey

YardRat
01-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Pretty sure it's been pointed out a few times around here, at least. I don't think they're considering him at 3, but the second round is a very high possibility IMO.

I'd be OK with that, as long as they don't get antsy and blow picks by trading back into the first for him.

SquishDaFish
01-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Id be fine with him in the 2nd round

Michael82
01-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Pretty sure it's been pointed out a few times around here, at least. I don't think they're considering him at 3, but the second round is a very high possibility IMO.

I'd be OK with that, as long as they don't get antsy and blow picks by trading back into the first for him.

That's the strange feeling I'm getting. I could see them get nervous when the first couple QBs go off the boards and doing what they did to get Losman.... :ill:

Dr. Lecter
01-30-2011, 04:52 PM
That's the strange feeling I'm getting. I could see them get nervous when the first couple QBs go off the boards and doing what they did to get Losman.... :ill:
Nix and Whaley traded up for Losman?

Michael82
01-30-2011, 04:58 PM

Nope, but Ralph was a big part of it.

Michael82
01-30-2011, 04:59 PM

BTW, You're a Florida State fan, Lecter...what do you think of Ponder? Is he ready for the NFL? Would you like him on the Bills? :scratch:

T-Long
01-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Miller in first Ponder in 2nd

NOT THE DUDE...
01-30-2011, 05:39 PM
i think ponder is a strong possibility in the 2nd or 3rd maybe. i know walterfootball had him as a top 50 pick last fall....

cbs has him ranked at 81. so the 3rd rd would be perfect value... but they could take him in the 2nd... not sure. im quite confident he will be our back up next season.

Beebe's Kid
01-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Ponder might not be that bad of an option.

I wish I had the "expert" line to stick here about us grabbing him in the 5th, because he had a "funky" delivery, which I would then tell you I came up with after watching a ton of "tape."

Here's to Nix and Co. knowing what the **** they are doing, and us getting to talk about football, instead of the draft, in January. A Playoff game at the Ralph would make me happy...not as happy as having to buy SB ducats, but I'll start with a Playoff game.

patmoran2006
01-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Miller in first Ponder in 2nd

We're not taking Miller in the first.

EricStratton
01-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Most big program coaches recruited or tried to recruit the named high school kids Mikey.

I wouldn't read to much into that this many years later.

T-Long
01-30-2011, 07:52 PM
We're not taking Miller in the first.
I know OLB isn't the biggest need, but you know how Buddy operates, and he is going to take the BPA on their board. His stock rose more than anybody after this past week and will continue to impress at the combine. Not only that, but Chan got to be with him everyday. But Nix did comment about the need for ILB's, not OLB's.

We'll see though...but I could never rip them for doing it.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Im one of the few who liked Ponder. His arm strength was better than advertise and he's just so smooth out there. Plays well when the plays break down.

Mike13
01-30-2011, 08:24 PM
He is the second coming of Pennington, thats not a bad thing, he just needs to stay upright.

better days
01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
He is the second coming of Pennington, thats not a bad thing, he just needs to stay upright.

I agree but he may be just as injury prone as Pennington as well.

DraftBoy
01-30-2011, 08:30 PM
I know OLB isn't the biggest need, but you know how Buddy operates, and he is going to take the BPA on their board. His stock rose more than anybody after this past week and will continue to impress at the combine. Not only that, but Chan got to be with him everyday. But Nix did comment about the need for ILB's, not OLB's.

We'll see though...but I could never rip them for doing it.

Miller isnt a top 3 or even top 5 player though. His stock rose but a case can be made that Cam Jordan's rose even higher, or Christian Ballard.

baalworship
01-30-2011, 08:35 PM
I really hope we don't use a top pick on Ponder. He doesn't seem to have that much upside. Is he expected to be better than Fitz? Don't see it.

Bangarang
01-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I really hope we don't use a top pick on Ponder. He doesn't seem to have that much upside. Is he expected to be better than Fitz? Don't see it.

There's more than 1 round in the draft...

DraftBoy
01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Also from everything Ive seen Ponder is not a 2nd round pick right now. Maybe 3rd, but Im not taking him that high.

bosshogg21
01-30-2011, 11:03 PM
I want nothing to do with ponder in the 2nd. Our 2nd round pick is basically the end of the 1st round. He is weak armed, No thanks. I would much rather be picking linebackers and safeties in those rounds.

ddaryl
01-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Ponder maybe in the 3rd, but even that is a bit of reach.

B-DON
01-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Lol at ponder being a reach in the 3rd. Do u even watch football?

ddaryl
01-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Lol at ponder being a reach in the 3rd. Do u even watch football?
Not impressed enough with Ponder.. But our 3rd rd pick is essentially a late 2nd rd pick

How may college QB impress you only to fail in the pros...

I bet you wanted Clausen last year didn't you

How many other players can we draft that will have a more immediate impact over a Ponder ? Ponder's college numbers are not overly impressive at all.

Bangarang
01-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Not impressed enough with Ponder.. But our 3rd rd pick is essentially a late 2nd rd pick

How many other players can we draft that will have a more immediate impact over a Ponder ? Ponder's college numbers are not overly impressive at all.

Teams are reaching for QB's every year because the risk is worth it if they work out. And the whole "how many others players can we draft that will have a more immediate impact over Ponder" is too subjective.

k-oneputt
02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
3rd rd at the earliest for Ponder, would prefer the 4th rd actually. To many injuries with this kid, but I do like his skills when healthy.

And for everybody on Clausen's ass, he was a rookie on a bad team who played about a dozen games, way to early to say he will never be anything in the league, especially at the qb position.

B-DON
02-01-2011, 09:19 PM

Watch ponders junior year when he was fully healthy. Guy was a beast. He plays thru injuries, very experienced, and is quite mobile. This guy would be a steal in the 3rd IMO

Bill Cody
02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
How many other players can we draft that will have a more immediate impact over a Ponder ?

I don't know how many?

B-DON
02-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Teams are reaching for QB's every year because the risk is worth it if they work out. And the whole "how many others players can we draft that will have a more immediate impact over Ponder" is too subjective.
Yea since our rookies made such an impact this year. Who cares if he makes an impact this year. We ain't winning **** this year anyways. If he's ready to go in a season or two then a 2-3rd pick is definitely worth it. If it's a 3 rd then we got a steal

Night Train
02-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I could only justify some of these stabs at skill positions if the Bills received a boatload of draft picks from another team in a trade for the #3 pick.

When the Pats & Jets literally crush our D at will those last 2 games, you don't stop them with a future developmental QB's CB's or WR's. You stop them with DL & LB's ,who currently don't reside on our roster.

Bangarang
02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I could only justify some of these stabs at skill positions if the Bills received a boatload of draft picks from another team in a trade for the #3 pick.

When the Pats & Jets literally crush our D at will those last 2 games, you don't stop them with a future developmental QB's CB's or WR's. You stop them with DL & LB's ,who currently don't reside on our roster.

I don't get this mentality. People act like just because we draft a d-lineman or linebacker that they will come in and produce right away and we'll be at the top in the league at stopping the run. Sometimes, d-lineman and linebackers take as much time to develop compared to QB's. We drafted Troup and Carrington with 2 of our 1st 3 draft picks and they weren't exactly making a name for themselves in their first year.

better days
02-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't get this mentality. People act like just because we draft a d-lineman or linebacker that they will come in and produce right away and we'll be at the top in the league at stopping the run. Sometimes, d-lineman and linebackers take as much time to develop compared to QB's. We drafted Troup and Carrington with 2 of our 1st 3 draft picks and they weren't exactly making a name for themselves in their first year.

That is the point. Neither of them were high 1st rnd picks. Therefore they are players with upside that will hopefully develop in year two.

A high 1st rnd pick at DL or LB should make an immediate impact. Maybe not as big as Suh, but at least as big as McCoy for the Bucs last year.