PDA

View Full Version : My new draft

DesertFox24
01-31-2011, 08:51 AM
I think this is actually a potential realistic draft for us.

1. Von Miller (Nix has said over and and over he wants an impact player here he is).
2. Christian Ponder (is accurate with the ball and I think Chan likes him and his mobility). Actually played really well in senior threw the ball to the right spots and goes through his progressions. Will sit for at least a year maybe two and get the system down.
3. Luke Stocker - I want this guy on our team badly
4. James Carpenter OT - nice looking prospect
4. Cedrick Thornton
5. Kendrick Burney
6. Mario Harvey
7. Brandon Bair

Mr. Miyagi
01-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Once again, please state position and school with the players.

Some of us aren't as closely in touch with the college game.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-31-2011, 08:54 AM
not bad, i think ponder can be had in the 3rd but they could take him in the 2nd and not risk it if they like him... i would take a dlineman in the 3rd instead of a te... jmo not bad though...

ponder intrigues me...

JCBills
01-31-2011, 09:03 AM
I don't get the infatuation with a 237 lb one trick pony at OLB. We got killed against the run last season. If we're taking an OLB this high, he needs to be able to take on blockers and shed to make plays against the ground game, not just speed rush and hope for the best. We have one of those and he hasn't been able to do much of anything yet. I see Miller getting swallowed up trying to defend the run in the NFL.

elltrain22
01-31-2011, 09:05 AM
I would only be happy w/ that if we moved back to get him. If we select him at 3, we're very, very stupid.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-31-2011, 09:12 AM
I don't get the infatuation with a 237 lb one trick pony at OLB. We got killed against the run last season. If we're taking an OLB this high, he needs to be able to take on blockers and shed to make plays against the ground game, not just speed rush and hope for the best. We have one of those and he hasn't been able to do much of anything yet. I see Miller getting swallowed up trying to defend the run in the NFL.

gailey said he did well at the sb against the run... watch his tape vs nebraska, he can stack and shed... pass rushers always go early...

ddaryl
01-31-2011, 09:45 AM
trade down a few slots then. At this junction I think other players will be rated above Miller so trading back would be the option.

Ponder doesn't pass the rule only 20 or so wins in college. I would pick him up in the 4th if he falls that far as a groom-able project, but not at #34

Dr. Lecter
01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
trade down a few slots then. At this junction I think other players will be rated above Miller so trading back would be the option.

Ponder doesn't pass the rule only 20 or so wins in college. I would pick him up in the 4th if he falls that far as a groom-able project, but not at #34
He has 23 wins - only one off "the rule"

Night Train
01-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Elway was 15-18 his last 3 years at Stanford and was picked #1 overall.

I think I can list multiple QB's in the HOF where that " theory " doesn't mean a thing. You're only as good as your surrounding cast and many "winners" couldn't make it as 3rd stringers in the NFL.

Having said that, the only intriguing QB prospect this year is Newton and he's a 1-2 year project. I wasn't impressed at all with any of the Senior Bowl QB's and Gabbert looked very average in the decision making dept. the 5-6 times I saw him play.

DraftBoy
01-31-2011, 10:41 AM

1. Von Miller-OLB-Texas A&M (Nix has said over and and over he wants an impact player here he is).
2. Christian Ponder-QB-FSU (is accurate with the ball and I think Chan likes him and his mobility). Actually played really well in senior threw the ball to the right spots and goes through his progressions. Will sit for at least a year maybe two and get the system down.
3. Luke Stocker-TE-Tennessee I want this guy on our team badly
4. James Carpenter-OT-Alabama nice looking prospect
4. Cedrick Thornton-DT-Southern Arkansas
5. Kendrick Burney-CB-UNC
6. Mario Harvey-LB-Marshall
7. Brandon Bair-DE-Oregon

For Miyagi

Overall I think Miller, Ponder, and Thornton are going way too high. I think Carpenter, and Burney are too low.

Bangarang
01-31-2011, 11:25 AM
I can't help but notice that most of this draft is based on the Senior Bowl alone..

DesertFox24
01-31-2011, 11:35 AM
For Miyagi

Overall I think Miller, Ponder, and Thornton are going way too high. I think Carpenter, and Burney are too low.
I know you are not that big of a fan of Miller but I think he can play the run, and I thought he did a nice job of recognizing the play at the senior bowl.

We also know Nix is not a fan of one year wonders, and wants high character guys that love football. Which in my mind eliminates Fairly, Newton.

I thought about taking Thornton in 5 and Burney or Wright in 4.

Unfortunately I do agree with you on Carpenter I really like him and would love him in the 4th, but the need for a TE will warrant stocker in 3 over Carpenter in my view.

Ponder might be around in the 3rd depending on how the QB draft goes. Everyone thought Clausen was going in the first, then high second. If Locker, Mallett, Newton fall there is a good chance Ponder will make it to round 3.

I personally like him a lot he is very smart, mobile, accurate (which is the best trait for a QB), reads the defense fast, goes through his progressions fast, and has a nice release.

DesertFox24
01-31-2011, 11:38 AM
I can't help but notice that most of this draft is based on the Senior Bowl alone..
To my credit I have been high on Thornton, Carpenter, and stocker before the senior bowl.

I liked Ponder coming in the year but was concerned about him and wanted to see him this week, he impressed me.

I liked what I saw from Miller, I thought he would go 6 or 5 in the draft before now I really like him.

Bruney is a guy I really liked as a future slot defender, really good press corner.

So I bumped Miller, Ponder, and Bruney up based on senior bowl. The other guys were where I had them before the week.

Also it should be noted that Nix took all seniors last year, and 7 of the 9 picks were team captains. Just some things to think about when doing mocks guys. Follow the trends.

methos4ever
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Don't forget guys like Quinn et al that can shake this up too Fox. He may be seen by Nix and co as good as Miller, but a bigger and a little stronger. But he's lost a year and had the tumor in hs...

DesertFox24
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Don't forget guys like Quinn et al that can shake this up too Fox. He may be seen by Nix and co as good as Miller, but a bigger and a little stronger. But he's lost a year and had the tumor in hs...

Yes I agree, but I did this draft based off of what I have seen, and what he tended to do last year.

His first pick he is trying to get a super star that is a team leader, hard worker, and has good character. Quinn took money and he knew that he was not supposed to do that. That right there takes him off my board.

You guys might not like this, but we as a small market team can not swing and miss on first rounders. We have to take safe picks, guys that are good, hard workers, and high character guys.

madness
01-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Regardless of whether I like it or not, I don't think it's very realistic. I don't see Nix reaching on either of the first two picks.

Just my :2cents:

Mr. Miyagi
01-31-2011, 12:10 PM
For Miyagi

Thanks DB! :miyagi:

TigerJ
01-31-2011, 12:42 PM

I don't think Von Miller is necessarily a one trick pony. I think physically, he has tools to be an outstanding coverage linebacker to take on tight ends, and even receivers in the short zone, along with his pass rushing skills. He may struggle in taking on big backs and blockers in the running game. That's why I suspect he won't be the Bills pick, nor should he be.

cookie G
01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Once again, please state position and school with the players.

Some of us aren't as closely in touch with the college game.

Mario Harvey - LB Marshall

A 5'11" 250 lb fireplug who accumulated over 400 tackles in his career at Marshall. Had 143 tackles this year, 17.5 tfl's and 8.5 sacks. Allegedly runs a 4.35 40. Got the nickname Thumper from one of his coaches during his first practice, when he laid out an OL.

2 time all C-USA.
Butkus Award semi finalist, the only non BCS player to make it that far.

MARSHALL DEFENSIVE coordinator Chris Rippon has coached 22 NFL players and five first-round draft picks in his 16 years in college football.

"I've seen a lot of good ones in my time," Rippon said, "and Mario Harvey is up there with all of them."

Harvey might be a few inches shorter than what NFL scouts would prefer, but he carries his 250-pound body well. He is the second-fastest player on the team with 4.35 speed in the 40.

"That's a heck of a player," Marshall defensive back Kevin Perry said. "A man that runs 4.3 at linebacker? Ain't too many of those out there in the world. He's going to be playing for a long time, I believe."

But Rippon said any person would be remiss to dismiss Harvey as only a hard-nosed football player with a rare skill set.

"You can't appreciate him until you coach him," Rippon said. "He has all the intangibles of guys I've seen go to The League.

"He is accepting of coaching, he works very hard, he is not bashful in saying 'I don't understand' and letting you show him. He has the ability, like all real good players, to let instinct take over during the game because he's done his homework and prepared himself.

"Everything about him makes me smile."

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201011250527

DraftBoy
01-31-2011, 02:11 PM

A 5'11" 250 lb fireplug who accumulated over 400 tackles in his career at Marshall. Had 143 tackles this year, 17.5 tfl's and 8.5 sacks. Allegedly runs a 4.35 40. Got the nickname Thumper from one of his coaches during his first practice, when he laid out an OL.

2 time all C-USA.

MARSHALL DEFENSIVE coordinator Chris Rippon has coached 22 NFL players and five first-round draft picks in his 16 years in college football.

"I've seen a lot of good ones in my time," Rippon said, "and Mario Harvey is up there with all of them."

Harvey might be a few inches shorter than what NFL scouts would prefer, but he carries his 250-pound body well. He is the second-fastest player on the team with 4.35 speed in the 40.

"That's a heck of a player," Marshall defensive back Kevin Perry said. "A man that runs 4.3 at linebacker? Ain't too many of those out there in the world. He's going to be playing for a long time, I believe."

But Rippon said any person would be remiss to dismiss Harvey as only a hard-nosed football player with a rare skill set.

"You can't appreciate him until you coach him," Rippon said. "He has all the intangibles of guys I've seen go to The League.

"He is accepting of coaching, he works very hard, he is not bashful in saying 'I don't understand' and letting you show him. He has the ability, like all real good players, to let instinct take over during the game because he's done his homework and prepared himself.

Terrific 3-4 ILB prospect. So talented he actually would play DE on 3rd and pass down opposite DE Vinny Curry at Marshall.

Thumper is a ST standout as well plays on both coverage units.

Dr. Lecter
01-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Terrific 3-4 ILB prospect. So talented he actually would play DE on 3rd and pass down opposite DE Vinny Curry at Marshall.

What round?

ddaryl
01-31-2011, 02:19 PM
He has 23 wins - only one off "the rule"

actually I'm screwed up the rule is starts not wins.

I thought it was wins

Night Train
01-31-2011, 03:16 PM

2 time all C-USA.

Sounds a lot like Antonio Coleman

DraftBoy
01-31-2011, 03:24 PM
What round?

5-7 his height and time speed will make all the difference.

tampabay25690
01-31-2011, 03:49 PM
I would only be happy w/ that if we moved back to get him. If we select him at 3, we're very, very stupid.

If we don't grab him Cleveland or Cinci will....

SABURZFAN
01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
you're right. i don't like it.

Mad Max
01-31-2011, 04:05 PM

1. Von Miller (Nix has said over and and over he wants an impact player here he is).
2. Christian Ponder (is accurate with the ball and I think Chan likes him and his mobility). Actually played really well in senior threw the ball to the right spots and goes through his progressions. Will sit for at least a year maybe two and get the system down.
4. Cedrick Thornton
5. Kendrick Burney
6. Mario Harvey
7. Brandon Bair

1.) Von Miller scares me. I get visions of Maybin dancing in my head when I see him. I wouldn't take him at #3, I would take a safer pick such as one of the oft discussed Linemen instead.

2.) Watching Romey right now, his guest reporter Jeff Chadiha (sp) talking about the Iggles might take a second rounder for Kolb. I don't like Ponder at all, I'd take Kolb over him all day every day. I'd rather not take either and just wait for Landry Jones, Barkley, Pryor, or longshot Luck in next years draft, but I'm just playing devil's advocate here along with your ideas.

3.) Stocker in the 3rd I'd be fine with.

Burney may have moved himself up the draft by a round or two.

cookie G
02-01-2011, 10:42 AM

I really doubt he runs a 4.35, but if he runs a 4.5 or something, that's still damn good. He's one of those guys you put on your board for the middle rounds with a big star or something so you don't forget him.

k-oneputt
02-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Yep, I don't like this draft.

T-Long
02-01-2011, 05:54 PM

4. Cedrick Thornton
5. Kendrick Burney
6. Mario Harvey
7. Brandon Bair

Miller and Ponder are exactly the two that I have slotted right now. I like it.

tcb5033
02-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't like this either. I think we need to learn from the past and take more of a "safer" pick at #3. Also, Ponder scares me a lot. Did he even start in FSUs bowl game? Anybody know anything about DeAndre McDaniel, the safety from Clemson. The few times I've seen him, I really liked him but I haven't heard any sort or rumblings about him. I have seen this highlight (also a Ponder lowlight) MANY times probably because its hilarious to watch mcdaniel call his shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iqhUswEmk&playnext=1&list=PLE4CC8CA88091B4E5