• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Overspend:

There's one FA coming up that I think Buffalo needs to break the bank for.

Logan Mankins.

The dude is a beast, and he's committed to getting better. I think it's fair to say his relationship with the Pats has soured. They may tag him but if they dont Im ok with the Bills making him the highest paid guard in football.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• streetkings01
    • Jul 2006

Re: Overspend:

Originally posted by King Bedard
    There's one FA coming up that I think Buffalo needs to break the bank for.

Logan Mankins.

The dude is a beast, and he's committed to getting better. I think it's fair to say his relationship with the Pats has soured. They may tag him but if they dont Im ok with the Bills making him the highest paid guard in football.
    Didn't we make that mistake with Dockery? There is no need to overpay for guards......they can be had on the cheap via draft or FA. A good LT is the one we need to overpay for so we can move Bell to RT.
    You can call me streetkings

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

if he can make our run game dominant then it would be a worthwhile pursuit.

We've moved Woods to C we could use a dominant G to replace him.

I will never complain about pursuing high quality players for both lines... and we are so far under the cap we can afford the luxury some..

Comment

• JCBills
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BuffaloBills06
        Didn't we make that mistake with Dockery? There is no need to overpay for guards......they can be had on the cheap via draft or FA. A good LT is the one we need to overpay for so we can move Bell to RT.
        Bell isn't a mauler. He probably lacks the strength for RT and has more ideal size for LT. He's doing fine where he is. Everyone wants a big shiny 1st round LT at some point, but right now we don't need one. I'd rather see us go after a RT in FA and take a project in the mid rounds.

Comment

• mikemac2001
          is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
          • Mar 2003

Lets see if there is even a Free agency first

MUCK
          FIAMI

Comment

• tomz
            • Feb 2007

I agree that Mankins would be one possible target but I think they are happy with the collection of guards we have.

How about inside linebackers? There seem to be a couple good ones starting with David Harris.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

He is almost certain to be franchise tagged. I think there is a pretty good chance they try to re-sign him as well, once he is tagged.

There are probably going to be a record number of players franchised this year once a new CBA is agreed to, as there is a backlog of guys who weren't paid because of the labor uncertainty.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

I cant see any scenario that Mankins gets away from the Pats at this point.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

Don't overpay for a dumbass guard.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by mikemac2001
                    Lets see if there is even a Free agency first
                    Ding,ding,ding..we have a winner.

It may be a moot point if nothing is done in February. They're not even close, according to reports.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                      He is almost certain to be franchise tagged. I think there is a pretty good chance they try to re-sign him as well, once he is tagged.

There are probably going to be a record number of players franchised this year once a new CBA is agreed to, as there is a backlog of guys who weren't paid because of the labor uncertainty.
                      In the past the Pats* did not want to pay top dollar which has to be done when franchising a player. Will they do that with Mankins? If so, I will bet he misses as many games as allowed under the new agreement.

I know he was REALLY not happy the Pats* did not give him a new contract LAST YEAR so I would not expect him to give the Pats* any kind of home team discount on a new contract.
                      Last edited by better days; 01-31-2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Mad Max
                        Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by better days
                        In the past the Pats* did not want to pay top dollar which has to be done when franchising a player. Will they do that with Mankins? If so, I will bet he misses as many games as allowed under the new agreement.

I know he was REALLY not happy the Pats* did not give him a new contract LAST YEAR so I would not expect him to give the Pats* any kind of home team discount on a new contract.
                        They tagged Wilfork and Cassell, they pay when they need to.

Comment

• Prov401
                          President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                          • Aug 2008

Mankins is a beast, but if we're going to spend major $ in FA, we should get a defensive starter.

Don't forget, the Bills signed 2 2nd rd, and 1 3rd rd lineman during the season last year. All are young players.

If we're throwing money into one player, I'd rather sign Richard Seymour, or Mathias Kiwanuka.

Comment

• Mad Max
                            Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Prov401
                            Mankins is a beast, but if we're going to spend major $ in FA, we should get a defensive starter.

Don't forget, the Bills signed 2 2nd rd, and 1 3rd rd lineman during the season last year. All are young players.

If we're throwing money into one player, I'd rather sign Richard Seymour, or Mathias Kiwanuka.
                            Both good players to be sure, but I wouldn't want us to get either. Seymour's best days are behind him, and we already pretty much have Kiwanuka in Moats (for a lot less money).

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mad Max
                              They tagged Wilfork and Cassell, they pay when they need to.
                              Well, they tagged Cassell in order to trade him. They were able to get Wilfork to do a new contract which Mankins may refuse to do.They may franchise Mankins like Cassell to trade him.

Comment

Working...
                              X