PDA

View Full Version : sabres guardian

trapezeus
01-31-2011, 01:19 PM
What are our thoughts of the guardian project and the sabre creation?

i still don't really get this concept wise. i don't get when we are going to see this be weaved into the context of the teams. at least the drawing looks cool.

i know there is a lot of derision on the guardian project, but i'm all for upping hockey's image to the youth to grow it. sometimes you have to think out of the box.

curious on everyone else's take.

The King
01-31-2011, 01:24 PM
I think the Sabres one was one of the gayest.

trapezeus
01-31-2011, 01:25 PM
ok. that's one "nay"

OpIv37
01-31-2011, 01:29 PM
You know, when I was a little kid, I was taking a bath and I thought "Why do people always sit with their head away from the faucet? I want my head and upper body to be down there where the water is warmer." So I turned around, and promptly hit the back of my head on the ****ing faucet.

The moral of the story: there's a fine line between things that are "outside the box," and things that nobody has done because they're just bad ideas. I'm thinking the whole guardian project falls into the "bad idea" category.

I agree with the need to bring in more fans at a younger age. I'm just not convinced that this is a good way to do it.

trapezeus
01-31-2011, 01:36 PM
but i imagine this is cheap solution. to create a story that gets kids into the game and makes them come to cames probably has a higher rate of return to the NHL than a long term cash outlay to youth programs where kids become passionate about the sport, but don't give two ****s about the NHL teams. they just care about their youth leagues and will go to a game or two if their team gets a discount or dad takes them.

this comic book world has got street cred with stan lee at the helm, and it then gets a grouop of kids who spend money like water on jerseys and obsessive type fandom.

i can see how the pitch probably was very enticing. cheap to execute, probably returns money even if poorly done, and new fans who are obsessive if it works. Not bad.

i just don't get how this weaves into the NHL and if us everyday fans will be able to avoid the guardian project when we attend games or if it'll be put everywhere and in our face. i'd object to that.

rbochan
01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
The NHL needed this like it needs an "official tire".

Michael82
01-31-2011, 05:05 PM
I hated the Sabres one....you look at the other Guardians, they are like their mascot and based on their logo or team name. The Sabres one has nothing to do with that. Why isn't it a Buffalo, like the Bruins one is a Bear? Why not a buffalo head or something to do with Buffalo on the Guardian? Some of the other ones are pretty cool looking...Stan Lee is a damn good artist.

Cleve
01-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Michael, Stan Lee is a writer - he isn't an artist.

Michael82
02-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Michael, Stan Lee is a writer - he isn't an artist.
Isn't he the one that draws the comic book characters? If not, then I'm wrong and he's a good writer.

SabreEleven
02-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Maybe the Sabres guardian will make an appearance in the March calender.

G Wolly
02-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Isn't he the one that draws the comic book characters? If not, then I'm wrong and he's a good writer.

He created the characters and writes the stories, but doesn't do all of the artwork for every book.

TMu11
02-01-2011, 05:24 AM
At LEAST give Sabre a freakin' sword. Where did a hydro-electric scientist focused on going green come into play? He should be a ninja or something.

chernobylwraiths
02-01-2011, 06:31 AM
At LEAST give Sabre a freakin' sword. Where did a hydro-electric scientist focused on going green come into play? He should be a ninja or something.

Maybe it is because the Sabres have had their green campaign for a couple years now, I don't know if other teams have done the same. Hydro-electric power comes from the Falls obviously.

chernobylwraiths
02-01-2011, 06:32 AM
http://sportsmedianews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/BuffaloSabre_Guardian.jpg

Isn't he holding a Saber here?

rbochan
02-01-2011, 06:59 AM
http://sportsmedianews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/BuffaloSabre_Guardian.jpg

Isn't he holding a Saber here?
"Sabre".

chernobylwraiths
02-01-2011, 07:40 AM
"Sabre".

Yeah, I shouldn't have capitalized saber.

G Wolly
02-01-2011, 05:04 PM
At LEAST give Sabre a freakin' sword.

He does have a sword...

THATHURMANATOR
02-02-2011, 07:15 AM
I don't even know what the hell the Sabres "guardian" is. What the Hell is it.

Cleve
02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't even know what the hell the Sabres "guardian" is. What the Hell is it.

Comic book nerd ****. You're probably better off not knowing.