PDA

View Full Version : Sabres secretly extended Regier this past fall..

JD
02-01-2011, 09:25 AM
:rofl:
Not even ****ing surprised. I bet Quinn knew the sale was approaching and hooked his boy up for being the fall guy all these years. Now, he has to be bought out..correct?

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article329598.ece

Jan Reimers
02-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I think Pegula will go slowly on organizational changes. But if he determines that Darcy needs to move on, he will buy him out. After spending $189 Mil or so to buy the team, I doubt if another $2-2.5 Mil will bother him much.

SabreEleven
02-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Can't Pegula just fire him? I think this is ok. I'd like to see what Regier and Ruff can do under new ownership.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I think pegula can afford to kick his butt to the curb. I think the contracts of front office personnel should be terminated at the point of sale. Why couldn't the team just give Regier a huge contract now.

User Manuel
02-01-2011, 10:14 AM
You really didn't expect it to be THAT easy...did you.

I bet that regeir steps down as GM to become head of scouting for the Sabres next year and then leaves the organization the year after.

rbochan
02-01-2011, 10:57 AM
It's severance that Quinn and Golly don't have to pay for.

trapezeus
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
it could be a saving grace. he could be a decent GM and quinn and Golly are giving it to him as admission to the fact they were the ones holding him back.

I still don't think the contract size is too much to can him if you want though.

chernobylwraiths
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Well, I was listening to GR yesterday. The "flagship" station of the Sabres and the one that carries their games. They were talking about this strange idea that many people have that Darcy isn't really in charge and that his hands have been tied by ownership and especially Quinn. They said they don't buy it. Darcy has said many times that this is "his team". Larry Quinn has said that he doesn't get involved regarding players (the Drury debacle notwithstanding). So, WHY do some of you feel that nothing is Darcy's fault regarding the players we have gotten and allowing players to leave or not signing them because they would be too expensive? Why does he get all the praise for getting guys like Briere but none of the criticism for letting guys like Briere go?

I contend that if the NHL started calling penalties right out of the lockout like they have been all along and how they are now, the Sabres would NEVER have gone to two straight Conference Championships and would never have won the President's Trophy. They were still a good team at those times, but they weren't built for playoff success, especially not now in the hold and interfere NHL.

trapezeus
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
i'm not acquitting reiger. im just saying, when you get a budget set by the owners, there is only so much you can do. When quinn blows the briere and drury deal, the owners have to say, "sign some of our guys now. this is blowing up"

What can you do but sign roy and vanek to inflated contracts.

Darcy ain't perfect, but he might not really be 100% pure evil.

that all being said, i would dance if he left.

chernobylwraiths
02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
i'm not acquitting reiger. im just saying, when you get a budget set by the owners, there is only so much you can do. When quinn blows the briere and drury deal, the owners have to say, "sign some of our guys now. this is blowing up"

What can you do but sign roy and vanek to inflated contracts.

Darcy ain't perfect, but he might not really be 100% pure evil.

that all being said, i would dance if he left.

Quinn only blew up the Drury deal. Darcy basically said that he wouldn't pay Briere what he was going to get when he left, even after Briere said he would accept a discount to stay. Roy signed an actual decent contract in retrospect. Vanek's deal was done by someone else and he had no choice but to match the offer.

But the thing is, you and many others keep saying it is all Golisano, Rigas, etc that have tied his hands. Where is your proof? Whose idea was it to sign Connolly? Hecht?

trapezeus
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
i have no proof. i'm speculating that instead of selling the guy down the river with the mob mentality that everyone is a broken piece, maybe there are salvagable parts to this.

HOw much of a culture from "let's make this profitable" affects the works of everyone?

Connolly signing was awful. Letting grier go in 06 and bringing him back last year was terrible.

The guy is a .500 gm with little money, scouting outsourced to video. It'd be interesting to see how he'd do with a different culture.

but at the same time, if pegula has proven winners who are ready to come and get great talent, full speed ahead.