• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTI
    Banned
    • Jan 2011

Ruff turns down contract extension in off season

I think the only way Ruff is back is if there SAbres make a deep playof run. He is ready to go. I am good with that, Sabres need a change at coach.

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

Ruff turned the Sabres down in the fall

Paul Hamilton

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- The Buffalo News reported that Darcy Regier got a two year contract extension in the fall. Lindy Ruff said he was offered one, but did not accept. Ruff said, "Yes I was offered one. It's a situation I'd really rather not talk about. They were gracious in what they offered me." Ruff's contract runs out at the end of this season.

The head coach has spoken with Terry Pegula. When asked if he told Pegula he'd like to stay Ruff said, "No, we had a conversation about hockey and that's as far as I'll go."

My immediate thought it why did Regier accept his and Ruff didn't. The only thing I can think of is Ruff may not have been happy with the lack of change with the team's roster and he wanted to keep his options open at the end of the season. I admire him for turning it down because if Pegula wanted to get rid of him, he would've had to pay Ruff the rest of his contract.
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Ruff turns down contract extension in off season

i waiver on whether lindy is burned out or is frustrated by the roster.

i can't tell.

Comment

• tampabay25690
      • Feb 2004

Interesting..........
      I need to do some digging......
      GO Gators!!!!!!
      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Sounds like the Regier-Ruff relationship might not be so rosy. Heard Ruff on the news answer a question about staying "Yeah, I'd like to", but couple that with Darcy accepting and Ruff turning it down it's possible the situation could be bottom lined as 'one of us has to go'.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Nighthawk
          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
          • Jul 2002

Ruff knows that Regier is an idiot and doesn't know talent...that's probably why he didn't want to sign an extension. I'm pretty sure that if a new GM comes in and Ruff is offered the job, he'll stay. People need to wake up and see how inept Regier really is...the guy is a buffoon.

Comment

• JD
            Sabres Zone
            • Sep 2003

I agree with you fully Night.

I see him declining the offer because of the way **** has been going.. then Pegula came along and Lindy had a "whoaaaa..just wait a minute" moment. He wants to see how Pegula controls the organization.
            “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• rbochan
              Zamboni Driver
              • Jun 2008

These extension offers tell me that Quinn was never going to hold anyone accountable for the lack of success on the ice and we would have kept status quo forever.

I wonder if Pegula asked Lindy why his team believed a hockey game is only 30 minutes long.
              ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
              it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by rbochan
                These extension offers tell me that Quinn was never going to hold anyone accountable for the lack of success on the ice and we would have kept status quo forever.

I wonder if Pegula asked Lindy why his team believed a hockey game is only 30 minutes long.
                Quinn is a freakin' idiot who has no clue how to run a hockey organization. I'm very happy that we will finally be rid of him.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

I'll take a different tact. In October, TG and LQ decided to sell the team. They told DR and LR their plans for the the team and offered DR and PR extensions to "reward them" and ensure them some sort of "golden parachute". DR jumped because his true colors are starting to show. LR didn't because the guy has integrity. The news last night that LR met with Pegula and DR did not is very telling. Pegula wants Ruff but is going to ditch DR. Why am I thinking that LR wanted to see who was going to buy the team and see what the direction would be before he signed? I also wouldn't be surprised if LR wants to be GM.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                    I'll take a different tact. In October, TG and LQ decided to sell the team. They told DR and LR their plans for the the team and offered DR and PR extensions to "reward them" and ensure them some sort of "golden parachute". DR jumped because his true colors are starting to show. LR didn't because the guy has integrity. The news last night that LR met with Pegula and DR did not is very telling. Pegula wants Ruff but is going to ditch DR. Why am I thinking that LR wanted to see who was going to buy the team and see what the direction would be before he signed? I also wouldn't be surprised if LR wants to be GM.
                    Lindy Ruff has already stated that he would like to be a GM someday not too long ago.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                      Lindy Ruff has already stated that he would like to be a GM someday not too long ago.
                      I missed that but it doesn't surprise me.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                      X