Titans interviewing Mularkey, Williams, and Fewell!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTI
    Banned
    • Jan 2011

Titans interviewing Mularkey, Williams, and Fewell!!

Funny, all 3 former Bills coaches getting a look in Tennessee:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—The Titans have received permission to talk with Mike Mularkey, Gregg Williams and Perry Fewell as coaching candidates to replace Jeff Fisher, according to a person familiar with the situation.
    The person spoke Wednesday to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the Titans have not yet interviewed any of the three candidates.
    Mularkey is Atlanta’s offensive coordinator, Williams is the defensive coordinator at New Orleans and Fewell, an African-American, is the Giants’ defensive coordinator. The Titans would satisfy the NFL’s Rooney Rule of considering a minority by interviewing Fewell, who interviewed with Cleveland and Denver earlier this year.
    Related Video
    Polamalu's greatness Polamalu's greatness

'G' stands for Green? Media Day recap Yahoo Sports Minute
    More NFL Videos

AdChoices <SCRIPT language='JavaScript1.1' src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/N3828.Yahoo/B5154306.17;abr=!ie;sz=160x600;click=http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15odrk7c9/M=788627.14549283.14376820.1368177/D=sports/S=95858717:SKY/_ylt=AgLiaxHbEfmnicOK4uMDSHgdsLYF/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1296695376/L=KXNHgkLEah7FNo7NS.mbDAFrSrhfDU1J5DAADWfy/B=ijCyIUJe5jg-/J=1296688176969826/K=OPxPoHrcPZ3e_QtyX.vfoA/A=6320739/R=1/*;dcopt=rcl;mtfIFPath=nofile;ord=0.27647828716172873"></SCRIPT>

The Titans have confirmed that they have interviewed offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger and offensive line coach Mike Munchak, and this step takes their search outside the building.
    General manager Mike Reinfeldt had said he thought prior head coaching experience would be good in a candidate, and both Mularkey and Williams have that in Buffalo. Even Fewell was interim head coach with the Bills in 2009.
    Williams spent 11 seasons with the then-Houston Oilers, starting as a defensive quality control assistant and working his way up to defensive coordinator before being hired by Buffalo as head coach after the 2000 season. He coached the Bills through 2003 before going to Washington. He spent 2008 with Jacksonville and the past two seasons with the Saints.
    He was seen as a top candidate for Fisher to bring Williams back as his defensive coordinator in 2009. But Williams wanted to bring his son, Blake, with him, and Titans owner Bud Adams has a policy against nepotism for his team.
    Mularkey went 14-18 with Buffalo between 2004 and 2005 before resigning in 2006 over philosophical differences with the front office. He went 9-7 in 2004, the Bills’ first winning season in five years. He interviewed earlier with Cleveland about the Browns’ head coaching job before Pat Shurmur was hired but canceled an interview with Denver.
    In his past three seasons in Atlanta, Mularkey has groomed quarterback Matt Ryan(notes). He also spent eight seasons in Pittsburgh with Bill Cowher, including three years as offensive coordinator.
    Fewell also was interim head coach of the Bills in 2009, going 3-4 over the final seven games. Fewell started his coaching career in college, including a stint at Vanderbilt in Nashville. He joined the NFL in Jacksonville working for Tom Coughlin, and he also has coached at St. Louis, Chicago and was defensive coordinator at Buffalo.
    Coughlin hired him as his defensive coordinator in January 2010.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Titans interviewing Mularkey, Williams, and Fewell!!

The AFL old boy network of Ralph and Bud Adams lives !
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

I think it was Yahoo Sports this morning had Mularkey as the lead candidate.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train
        The AFL old boy network of Ralph and Bud Adams lives !

Tennessee Titans 86 year old owner Bud Adams flipping the bird. Roger Goodell was in Bud Adams box and fined him 250K. Titans Bud Adams uses middle fingers. ...

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

I'd like to see Fewell get his legitimate shot. I've said for years Williams would end up with another job. Mularkey's just a douche.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Hilarious...all of them are garbage and will fail miserably...go Titans!

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
              I'd like to see Fewell get his legitimate shot. I've said for years Williams would end up with another job. Mularkey's just a douche.
              I agree on Fewell. I don't know if Williams has it unless he learned a lot of lessons here. Mularkey?? Who knows? By that point the Bills were so ill-functional that I don't think one can even guess.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Bufftp
                Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

I think in the right situation Mularkey could be a good head coach.
                Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
                "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
                Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
                - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
                to be led by permanent ideals -
                that is what keeps a man patient
                when the world ignores him,
                and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Patti120
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Bufftp
                  I think in the right situation Mularkey could be a good head coach.
                  He used to take the Bills team out for cheeseburgers the night before the game so he's got that going for him! Plus he pretty much was smart enough to quit as HC of the Bills so I guess he's got that going for him too!

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                    We play to win the game!
                    • Oct 2009

Mularkey was good. I liked him

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Jul 2007

Fewell deserves a shot. The others? Well they proved themselves to be great head coaches so let's hope they can save the Titans organization.

Oh wait...
                      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                        Will not tolerate vandalism.
                        • Apr 2006

Williams would make sense... after all, if they wanted continuity, Williams did work as Fisher's DC before jumping to Buffalo.

Fewell's a Rooney Ruler, nothing more.

But Mularkey? Seriously?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Fewell would be okay, good luck with Manboobs or Mularkey.

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

williams has cemented himself as a DC for life. He'll keep getting the interviews, but as a head coach, he's too brash.

as a DC, players know there is another coach they can go to when he gets out of line.

Fewell is a good mix of being demanding and being a players coach.

Mularkey? I don't know. he has been ok with the offensive side of the ball. I think people will give him the benefit of the doubt with his HC tenure with the bills, but if he blows his next gig again, he's going straight back to the OC world with no chance of getting back.

The current version of the dysfunctional titans seems like a bad choice.

but then again all three are bad choices when you had fisher.

Comment

• TMu11
                              • Mar 2010

What? No Jauron??
                              After Every Dark Night Comes a Brighter Day

Comment

Working...
                              X