• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Fitz isn't the answer, but ...

That should have no bearing whatsoever on who they pick at No. 3.

Who they draft should be based on how they evaluate the prospects on their own merits. That's it.
    And you can take any historical positional trends and shove them into your hole where they belong.

You can't go into a pick thinking it MUST be a certain position. That's what resulted in Whitner, McCargo and other busts. They should pick whoever's at the top of their value chart, based only on the pros and cons of each player.

Nobody's disputing that Fitz isn't a franchise QB, but if one isn't available at third overall -- meaning, there isn't one worth that pick, in their judgment -- then they have to find another solution if they want one.

I'm not saying here that there's no QB worth no. 3, although I'm doubtful. That's another issue. If they truly feel there's a QB good enough to warrant the pick, then they should pull the trigger for that reason alone.
    But "Fitz isn't the answer" is not an argument to draft a QB at third overall no matter what.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • Beebe's Kid
    • Nov 2009

Re: Fitz isn't the answer, but ...

Originally posted by Philagape

Who they draft should be based on how they evaluate the prospects on their own merits. That's it.
    And you can take any historical positional trends and shove them into your hole where they belong.

You can't go into a pick thinking it MUST be a certain position. That's what resulted in Whitner, McCargo and other busts. They should pick whoever's at the top of their value chart, based only on the pros and cons of each player.

Nobody's disputing that Fitz isn't a franchise QB, but if one isn't available at third overall -- meaning, there isn't one worth that pick, in their judgment -- then they have to find another solution if they want one.

I'm not saying here that there's no QB worth no. 3, although I'm doubtful. That's another issue. If they truly feel there's a QB good enough to warrant the pick, then they should pull the trigger for that reason alone.
    But "Fitz isn't the answer" is not an argument to draft a QB at third overall no matter what.
    I'll dispute that.

I know that we are supposed to "know" Fitz isn't a real QB, and is nothing more than a backup, and that very well may end up being the case. I will not say that I "know" that, or accept it as fact, simply because it is popular sentiment that is passed off and common knowledge.

I am just curious...how long do we have to wait for a "Franchise" QB to be good? Do we have to give them 3-4 years? We sure had to give Kelly that long, and most of the others that are christened with the elusive "Franchise" title, didn't see success for a few seasons either.

Fitz has improved, and shown that he has the ability to play the position. I know that the Harvard thing is overplayed, but I don't think that people give enough credit to how smart this dude is. He also is athletic, and toward the end of this year was making throws that you don't see many other guys in the NFL making.

It appears that, either way, sink or swim, Fitz will get one more season at the helm... I have a feeling that the sentiment changes towards him after this year. Not with the Kiper-ites, but with a large constituency of Bills fans that watch games.

There are a lot of fans that will never be able to be swayed, but there were a lot of fans that thought Reich should have been the starter, there were fans that were screaming for Collins, there are fans that still think RJ of Flutie was a good move, fans that complained about Fletcher tackling everybody downfield, Kenneth Davis over Thurman... and on and on. Fans will make 9000 predictions, and then tell everybody about the two they hit on, so forgive me if what the fans say doesn't mean a hell of a lot to me.

Fitz will make believers out of many this year...regardless of who gets drafted at #3

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Totally agree with this post. Well done.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Agreed.

And I DON'T think there's a QB worth the #3 pick.. but it's just my opinion.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
          I'll dispute that.

I know that we are supposed to "know" Fitz isn't a real QB, and is nothing more than a backup, and that very well may end up being the case. I will not say that I "know" that, or accept it as fact, simply because it is popular sentiment that is passed off and common knowledge.

I am just curious...how long do we have to wait for a "Franchise" QB to be good? Do we have to give them 3-4 years? We sure had to give Kelly that long, and most of the others that are christened with the elusive "Franchise" title, didn't see success for a few seasons either.

Fitz has improved, and shown that he has the ability to play the position. I know that the Harvard thing is overplayed, but I don't think that people give enough credit to how smart this dude is. He also is athletic, and toward the end of this year was making throws that you don't see many other guys in the NFL making.

It appears that, either way, sink or swim, Fitz will get one more season at the helm... I have a feeling that the sentiment changes towards him after this year. Not with the Kiper-ites, but with a large constituency of Bills fans that watch games.

There are a lot of fans that will never be able to be swayed, but there were a lot of fans that thought Reich should have been the starter, there were fans that were screaming for Collins, there are fans that still think RJ of Flutie was a good move, fans that complained about Fletcher tackling everybody downfield, Kenneth Davis over Thurman... and on and on. Fans will make 9000 predictions, and then tell everybody about the two they hit on, so forgive me if what the fans say doesn't mean a hell of a lot to me.

Fitz will make believers out of many this year...regardless of who gets drafted at #3
          We have seen QB's do well early like Sanchez and Roeth, but I'm thinking we wouldn't start ours until mid-season at the earliest.

I don't want to have to throw a rookie into starting right away. That's one reason I'd rather get the QB this year. Fitz is a UFA next year and could demand starting QB money. Unless he lights it up next year, I don't think we should pay it. I think he should get backup money. He may not take that, leaves, and leaves us drafting and starting a QB right away.

As for Fitz's ability to be all we need, I'm worried that teams will catch up with our offense and be able to shut us down much more. Fitz does a nice job of moving the ball around and that will help him be productive so maybe he keeps his production where it's at.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
            • Sep 2008

What if they took a gamble and went with Ponder at 3? how jaw dropping would that be? They were debating heavily last year on whether they were going to take Tebow in the first before finally deciding on rolling out with Spiller.

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
              What if they took a gamble and went with Ponder at 3? how jaw dropping would that be? They were debating heavily last year on whether they were going to take Tebow in the first before finally deciding on rolling out with Spiller.
              That's not a gamble, that's getting falling-down drunk and putting your life savings for one spin on the roulette table.
              And then peeing on it and getting thrown in jail.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Commissioner
                • Dec 2004

The Bills should take whoever is going to help the franchise be successful the most....

That doesn't mean this year... it could mean 2 years from now.

With that being said... the biggest impact on franchise comes from the QB position. I don't care if Gabbert has some flaws.... the question is ... do the Bills think he can eventually be a franchise QB that can go to a super bowl? If the answers yes... then they should take Gabbert at #3... no matter how much of a reach it may appear to be this year. 3 years from now if we are going to the playoffs ... who will care?
                Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

Don't reach to take a QB? Yeah that's what I thought you said. I agree.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Commissioner
                    The Bills should take whoever is going to help the franchise be successful the most....

That doesn't mean this year... it could mean 2 years from now.

With that being said... the biggest impact on franchise comes from the QB position. I don't care if Gabbert has some flaws.... the question is ... do the Bills think he can eventually be a franchise QB that can go to a super bowl? If the answers yes... then they should take Gabbert at #3... no matter how much of a reach it may appear to be this year. 3 years from now if we are going to the playoffs ... who will care?
                    If they think he's going to be that good, absolutely.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                      • Sep 2008

That's not a gamble, that's getting falling-down drunk and putting your life savings for one spin on the roulette table.
                      And then peeing on it and getting thrown in jail.
                      Oh I agree, but its odd to me that they even considered drafting Tebow last year for whom in some crowds would have drawn the same kind of opinions. JMO

Comment

• Nighthawk
                        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
                        I'll dispute that.

Umm, Fitz has had 7 years in the NFL to prove he is better then a backup and he hasn't done it. You are grasping at straws...he isn't a rookie who is going to grow into something special. Hell, he isn't even a 2nd year player learning the position, he's a freakin' veteran and you should start realizing that! Damn...some people are so thick!

Comment

• PTI
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                          Umm, Fitz has had 7 years in the NFL to prove he is better then a backup and he hasn't done it. You are grasping at straws...he isn't a rookie who is going to grow into something special. Hell, he isn't even a 2nd year player learning the position, he's a freakin' veteran and you should start realizing that! Damn...some people are so thick!
                          I know, how do people not realize this? Mostly they ignore it. This was his 3rd year in a row of extended play, and the majority of the year starter too. He has the 20th most starts of any QB who has played in the NFL in the last 3 years.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by PTI
                            I know, how do people not realize this? Mostly they ignore it. This was his 3rd year in a row of extended play, and the majority of the year starter too. He has the 20th most starts of any QB who has played in the NFL in the last 3 years.
                            using the last 3 years to grade Fitz is not fair. No one could have succeeded.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• PTI
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              using the last 3 years to grade Fitz is not fair. No one could have succeeded.
                              The year after Fitz left Cincinnati they were 10-6. If the Colts had Fitz and not Manning they would have been lucky to win 5 games. If the Bills had Manning instead of Fitz and everyone else the Bills would have had 8-10 wins this year and last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X