PDA

View Full Version : Golisano talks Bills ownership......

BidsJr
02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast

"Would I be interested in the Bills?" Golisano repeated when asked. "I think the key issue would be the level of concern I would have about them leaving the community, and the higher the concern, the more interest I probably would have."

Nice to know someone with the dough has his eyes set on keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

PromoTheRobot
02-03-2011, 10:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast

"Would I be interested in the Bills?" Golisano repeated when asked. "I think the key issue would be the level of concern I would have about them leaving the community, and the higher the concern, the more interest I probably would have."

Nice to know someone with the dough has his eyes set on keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

I wouldn't read too much into this. Besides, if people hate how cheap Ralph runs the Bills, how would TG be any different? Aren't we cheering him out the door with the Sabres?

PTR

TrEd FTW
02-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't read too much into this. Besides, if people hate how cheap Ralph runs the Bills, how would TG be any different? Aren't we cheering him out the door with the Sabres?

PTR

Golisano owning the Buffalo Bills > some random douche owning the Los Angeles Bills

PromoTheRobot
02-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Golisano owning the Buffalo Bills > some random douche owning the Los Angeles Bills

Well Ralph Wilson owns the Buffalo Bills and it's a non-stop *****-fest so I wonder if your point is valid.

PTR

TrEd FTW
02-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Well Ralph Wilson owns the Buffalo Bills and it's a non-stop *****-fest so I wonder if your point is valid.

PTR

Of course it's valid. As much *****ing as there is over Wilson (and pretty much all of it is legit), it's better than not having a team. I guarantee you everyone here would agree.

DrGraves
02-03-2011, 10:47 PM
This was definitely the best news about the Sabres sale is knowing that the Bills will be safe here.

Bosco
02-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I can't believe how much a small statement about the Bills has become so overblown in the media.

This is part of what Tom said :

"The Buffalo Bills just like the Buffalo Sabres are a very important asset to this community," Golisano said. "But the thing that always comes to light is nobody has ever said that they're for sale or going to be for sale.

"Ralph Wilson is a very smart guy, and if he thinks he has an estate tax problem or is going to have an estate tax problem, I would have to assume he's already done something about it. Now, I know he plays his cards very close to the vest, but I don't ever know if the Buffalo Bills are going to be for sale."

Please stop making this a "When you wish upon a star" moment.

ServoBillieves
02-03-2011, 11:13 PM
The blind leading the blind.

CAbills
02-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Great a cheap owner that Sabre fans couldnt wait to see leave might be taking his talents to the Bills!

TrEd FTW
02-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Great a cheap owner that Sabre fans couldnt wait to see leave might be taking his talents to the Bills!
The narrative about Golisano being cheap needs to die. The Sabres spent to the salary cap at least once during his tenure and were mostly an average spender relative to other NHL teams. They were far from the bottom of the league.

Granted, if Golisano buys the Bills, he'll have to spend a lot more money to field a team because the NFL easily trumps in the NHL financially. The main problem with Golisano and his management team with the Sabres was that they spent big money on many of the wrong players.

BillsWin
02-04-2011, 01:14 AM
The first step to the Bills winning the Super Bowl is to make sure there is still "the Buffalo Bills."

If Golisano is the money bags backer behind a group to keep them in Buffalo I'm all for it.

Dujek
02-04-2011, 04:16 AM
The narrative about Golisano being cheap needs to die. The Sabres spent to the salary cap at least once during his tenure and were mostly an average spender relative to other NHL teams. They were far from the bottom of the league.

Granted, if Golisano buys the Bills, he'll have to spend a lot more money to field a team because the NFL easily trumps in the NHL financially. The main problem with Golisano and his management team with the Sabres was that they spent big money on many of the wrong players.

The Sabres are closer to the salary cap than a large proportion of the NHL at the moment as well. Golisano may have never been seen as a big spender, but he spent more than most.

YardRat
02-04-2011, 04:25 AM
"Buffalo Bills new owner Tom Golisano announced today the hiring of Larry Quinn to fill the vacant GM position..."

Don't Panic
02-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Golisano would be a minority owner at best. I can't see him ponying up half a billion dollars to have majority ownership.

Interesting comment about the "never going to be for sale" thing. I wonder who he would say would get ownership when RW passes then.

jamze132
02-04-2011, 06:19 AM

Kind of like Omar Minaya and the New York Mets over the last few years...

billsfanryan
02-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Golisano would be a minority owner at best. I can't see him ponying up half a billion dollars to have majority ownership.

Interesting comment about the "never going to be for sale" thing. I wonder who he would say would get ownership when RW passes then.

Golisano said that if there is a local group that can keep the team in Buffalo without his financial resources he would be happy to stay out of it. He also said if there is a group that needs his resources to keep the team here he would definitely be interested.

With the "never going to be for sale thing", I am sure that Ralph has some sort of succession plan in place, and I am sure that this has been in place for years. My worry with his plan is that I am not sure who he is leaving the team to and if they want to deal with owning an NFL franchise. But again my assumption is he has already taken care of this and probably has some sort of agreement (will) in place that says if the team is sold by whoever he leaves it to (most likely a family member) that they get NO money if they sell to an ownership group that isn't going to keep the team here.

On another note, no one here has mention that Golisano said he would be interested in the Bills only if another professional sports opportunity DID NOT come up. During the press conference he kept saying this, which has me thinking he already has some thoughts on getting back into pro sports.

Jan Reimers
02-04-2011, 06:37 AM
I really have to laugh at a few of you guys who seem to prefer that the Bills move, rather than stay in Buffalo with a less than perfect owner in Golisano.

He not only kept the Sabres in Buffalo when the team was in bankruptcy and a candidate to move, but he took less money when he sold them in order to keep them in Buffalo. And the sales agreement precludes them from moving. That's a pretty damned good owner.

I'd love to see him buy the Bills, or at least head an ownership group.

better days
02-04-2011, 06:49 AM
I really have to laugh at a few of you guys who seem to prefer that the Bills move, rather than stay in Buffalo with a less than perfect owner in Golisano.

He not only kept the Sabres in Buffalo when the team was in bankruptcy and a candidate to move, but he took less money when he sold them in order to keep them in Buffalo. And the sales agreement precludes them from moving. That's a pretty damned good owner.

The people that would not care if the Bills move or would even prefer they do move, root for the Bills, but not the BUFFALO Bills. They have no ties to Buffalo & could not care less about the Buffalo area. They are very small in number thank God.

Ebenezer
02-04-2011, 06:54 AM
This was definitely the best news about the Sabres sale is knowing that the Bills will be safe here.

That doesn't mean anything about the Bills being safe here. I was happy to hear he would have an interested but NFL franchises are much more coveted then NHL franchises. There will be a long list of suitors when RW dies and the family sells the franchise (IF they sell the franchise). The NFL/owners will have to approve any sale and don't think for a minute they won't do what is best for their interests, i.e., their pocketbook should they decide to sell their franchise.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 07:06 AM
So, Golisano rides in on a white horse to save the team like he did for the Sabres. We suffer through 2 ****ty rebuilding seasons while he cleans up the previous mess, then luck into 2 above average years before settling into permanent mediocrity due to an unwillingness to spend money and poor decision-making in the rare instances where money is spent.

Anyone who has followed the Sabres over the last decade knows that Golisano is not the answer. He's Ralph Wilson II- he'll keep the team in Buffalo then rest on his laurels for doing that instead of actually spending what it takes to win.

better days
02-04-2011, 07:06 AM
That doesn't mean anything about the Bills being safe here. I was happy to hear he would have an interested but NFL franchises are much more coveted then NHL franchises. There will be a long list of suitors when RW dies and the family sells the franchise (IF they sell the franchise). The NFL/owners will have to approve any sale and don't think for a minute they won't do what is best for their interests, i.e., their pocketbook should they decide to sell their franchise.

There are some owners like Jerry Jones that only care about their own pocketbook, but the NFL Commisioner & many other owners care about the good of the entire league.

To move the Bills from Buffalo with all the support it has had in Buffalo from the fans would be very shortsighted & not what is best for the league.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 07:08 AM

I'd love none of the above.

I don't know why we have to choose between "no team" and "cheap owner who keeps the team in town but won't pay for a winner."

better days
02-04-2011, 07:12 AM

I don't know why we have to choose between "no team" and "cheap owner who keeps the team in town but won't pay for a winner."

Agreed, but as has been said before, Golisono is not cheap, he just hired the wrong guy to run the team.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 07:14 AM
And to be honest, I'd almost prefer no team to what's been going on lately.

No sports team ALWAYS wins, but the fun in sports is rooting for the team to win then enjoying that moment of glory when it happens. Except, for us, it never happens.

Sure, we win games here and there, but we can't even make the playoffs, let alone win a championship. Hell, last year we started 0-8, which means the last half of the REGULAR season wasn't even meaningful because we were already eliminated from the playoffs for all practical purposes.

When I watch this team play the Patriots twice a year, it feels like going to visit a sick relative or friend in the hospital. You don't want to do it and it's unpleasant, but you do it anyway because you know they need the support. It shouldn't be like that- we should be able to go into the games feeling like we at least have a shot and leave knowing that even though we didn't win, we at least put up a good fight. But even that has become too much to ask.

Look, I know the team isn't going to win EVERY year, but I've reached the point where I'd rather have no team than one that NEVER wins.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Agreed, but as has been said before, Golisono is not cheap, he just hired the wrong guy to run the team.

I think he is cheap.

I think he never intended to be a successful NHL owner. He wanted to save the team from moving out of town until a new owner could be found, and hopefully make a few bucks in the process. And that's exactly what he did.

I will always give Golisano credit for keeping the Sabres in Buffalo, just like I will always give Ralph credit for bringing/keeping the Bills in Buffalo. But at some point, that's not enough.

better days
02-04-2011, 07:20 AM
I think he is cheap.

I think he never intended to be a successful NHL owner. He wanted to save the team from moving out of town until a new owner could be found, and hopefully make a few bucks in the process. And that's exactly what he did.

I will always give Golisano credit for keeping the Sabres in Buffalo, just like I will always give Ralph credit for bringing/keeping the Bills in Buffalo. But at some point, that's not enough.

Why do you think he is cheap when he spends at least in the middle of the league? The problem is he spent on the wrong players.

Jan Reimers
02-04-2011, 07:23 AM
And to be honest, I'd almost prefer no team to what's been going on lately.

Look, I know the team isn't going to win EVERY year, but I've reached the point where I'd rather have no team than one that NEVER wins.
If you really feel this way, I feel very bad for you. I've been a Bills' fan since 1959 and have weathered the highs and lows, but I have never wished that they move.

I guess that I'm just a stupid homer, and not a sophisticated realist.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Why do you think he is cheap when he spends at least in the middle of the league? The problem is he spent on the wrong players.
Middle of the league spending brings middle of the league results. In the NHL, that puts you right on the line between making and not making the playoffs, which is exactly where the Sabres have been for the last 4 years (and 5 of the last 6).

Jan Reimers
02-04-2011, 07:26 AM

C'mon Op you're a realist. Sometimes you don't have all of the choices that you'd like.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 07:34 AM
C'mon Op you're a realist. Sometimes you don't have all of the choices that you'd like.

that is true, but I just hope some serious efforts are made to ensure those are the only two options before one of them is chosen.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 07:45 AM
If you really feel this way, I feel very bad for you. I've been a Bills' fan since 1959 and have weathered the highs and lows, but I have never wished that they move.

I guess that I'm just a stupid homer, and not a sophisticated realist.

I'm not saying that I wish they'd move, but the problem is that it's been over 10 years since there have been any highs and I don't see much hope for any in the immediate future.

What I'm saying is that I'd rather have no team than ALL low's. So, either bring back some of those highs or just put them out of their misery. I realize I take sports way too seriously, but in the end it's still supposed to be fun, and it's not fun when it's all lows.

Jan Reimers
02-04-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm not saying that I wish they'd move, but the problem is that it's been over 10 years since there have been any highs and I don't see much hope for any in the immediate future.

What I'm saying is that I'd rather have no team than ALL low's. So, either bring back some of those highs or just put them out of their misery. I realize I take sports way too seriously, but in the end it's still supposed to be fun, and it's not fun when it's all lows.
I hate losing as much as you. But I would hate losing the Bills far more.

Beebe's Kid
02-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I hate losing as much as you. But I would hate losing the Bills far more.

This is a difference between fans that go to games, or live in the area, and fans that have to have the Season Ticket to watch.

I would never rather have them move. Losing is a temporary problem...some "temporaries," are longer than others... We are on the right track, and are hopefully winning more than losing soon.

I don't expect winning more than losing to cure the people that are miserable. Miserable is not a temporary condition.

Golisano saved the Sabres. If they didn't win a Stanley Cup, at least now they have a chance, and Pegula is the kind of guy that can get that done. Golisano was a bridge. If you would rather they had moved, because they didn't win a Cup, that is an ideological difference that will keep us from ever seeing eye to eye on these issues.

The real kicker is that Golisano saved the Sabres...then tells the media/fans that there was an offer that could have put $70 mil more in his hip...and nobody says thanks, they say "What about the Bills?" He is waiting to hear thanks for saving us, and is not going to say "I don't care about the Bills.... but yet here we are.

Saratoga Slim
02-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Wow.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 08:57 AM
This is a difference between fans that go to games, or live in the area, and fans that have to have the Season Ticket to watch.

I would never rather have them move. Losing is a temporary problem...some "temporaries," are longer than others... We are on the right track, and are hopefully winning more than losing soon.

I don't expect winning more than losing to cure the people that are miserable. Miserable is not a temporary condition.

Golisano saved the Sabres. If they didn't win a Stanley Cup, at least now they have a chance, and Pegula is the kind of guy that can get that done. Golisano was a bridge. If you would rather they had moved, because they didn't win a Cup, that is an ideological difference that will keep us from ever seeing eye to eye on these issues.

The real kicker is that Golisano saved the Sabres...then tells the media/fans that there was an offer that could have put $70 mil more in his hip...and nobody says thanks, they say "What about the Bills?" He is waiting to hear thanks for saving us, and is not going to say "I don't care about the Bills.... but yet here we are.

Losing is a temporary condition? Really? I'm not so sure that it is.

We've been losing for 10+ years and counting, with little hope of winning in the immediate future. We have piss-poor management from the owner on down, and the economics of the game are changing in a way that makes it harder for teams like Buffalo to compete. And that part won't change with a new owner.

Golisano did save the Sabres, but in order to do so, he had them mired in mediocrity for the overwhelming majority of his ownership. I don't want more mediocrity for the Bills. I'm firmly in the camp of "do it right or don't do it at all."

Jan Reimers
02-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Losing is a lot more temporary then moving out of town.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Losing is a lot more temporary then moving out of town.

I don't know about that. There are plenty of teams in pro sports that have been losers for decades. Literally decades.

And we're becoming one of them.

Jan Reimers
02-04-2011, 09:35 AM
If this franchise moves, it's never coming back. I would take being a chronic loser - because there is still joy in even the occasional win, and the various positives associated with an NFL franchise - over having no team, any day.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Winning is the only positive. If you can't win, there are no positives.

Philagape
02-04-2011, 09:49 AM
The only reason why I don't want the Bills to leave is that Ralph Wilson is close to death.

When that happens, I'm up for parole from this shameful prison called Bills fanhood.

If someone told me that the Bills would forever be in the state they are now, run by Ralph-style cronyism, I'd say get the hell out of my hometown.

Sports is about winning. A team that has no hope of winning does not exist anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

Jan Reimers
02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Anyone who knows me, knows I hate losing. I'm old now, but I still have to restrain myself from throwing a fit everytine we lose - which is often.

But I would still rather have my Bills in Buffalo. I can still enjoy our few FA pickups, the excitement of draft day, the start of minicamps and training camps, the first preseason game, the first regular season game, the progress of young players, going to the Ralph or a sports bar, etc.

I feel sorry for you that are so blinded by losing that you can't enjoy anything else about having an NFL team.

sdbillsfan2
02-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Let's be honest here people ... Western NY has been is a down hill slide for years now. There aren't all that many things to get excited about there these days.
Along comes a guy with the money to make a difference ,and keep the Bills in town and he get's spit on ? Don't like him , ? fine! Go out and find the money elsewhere. Oh wait ....the area isn't exactly loaded with billionaires these days is it? It's so easy to ***** and complain , far easier then doing something to make a difference. Here's a guy that owes the area nothing , yet is willing to re invest HIS money because he has compassion for the PEOPLE there.
And what do some of you do ? ***** , whine and groan ..
My father had a saying that fits . " Your walking around with a ham under your arm and complain that you have no bread "
The one thing that amazes me is that after all the criticism these guys get , they still care. I know what I'd say and nobody would like it.

Don't like TG ? Put together your own group of money hungry profiteers and do it yourself.
I don't like how Ralph ran this team all this time , but I'm still grateful the Bills came to Buffalo when I was a kid so long ago. We may not like TG either but with out someone to step in ....the competition to relocate the Bills , will be on.
When the Bills piss you off enough feel free to support any of the other teams out there. Hell The Pat always win how bout them , or the Dolphins or the ......
As for me ....I'm to old and to set in my ways to change. I'll stick by the BUFFALO Bills win or lose . After 50 years , I can proudly say ....I still LOVE Buffalo BILLS football. I still Love the Western NY area . Who knows maybe next year they win and next year They don't . Who ever the owner is ,I'll be
thankful for MY TEAM .

Bottom line is without the Bills in Buffalo , the only claim to fame is a freakin chicken wings , cold weather and snow . Be happy someone else is willing to use HIS money to keep the team where they belong.

Okay flame away , I've finally got that off my chest.!

Jan Reimers
02-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Let's be honest here people ... Western NY has been is a down hill slide for years now. There aren't all that many things to get excited about there these days.
Along comes a guy with the money to make a difference ,and keep the Bills in town and he get's spit on ? Don't like him , ? fine! Go out and find the money elsewhere. Oh wait ....the area isn't exactly loaded with billionaires these days is it? It's so easy to ***** and complain , far easier then doing something to make a difference. Here's a guy that owes the area nothing , yet is willing to re invest HIS money because he has compassion for the PEOPLE there.
My father had a saying that fits . " Your walking around with a ham under your arm and complain that you have no bread "
The one thing that amazes me is that after all the criticism these guys get , they still care. I know what I'd say and nobody would like it.

Don't like TG ? Put together your own group of money hungry profiteers and do it yourself.
I don't like how Ralph ran this team all this time , but I'm still grateful the Bills came to Buffalo when I was a kid so long ago. We may not like TG either but with out someone to step in ....the competition to relocate the Bills , will be on.
When the Bills piss you off enough feel free to support any of the other teams out there. Hell The Pat always win how bout them , or the Dolphins or the ......
As for me ....I'm to old and to set in my ways to change. I'll stick by the BUFFALO Bills win or lose . After 50 years , I can proudly say ....I still LOVE Buffalo BILLS football. I still Love the Western NY area . Who knows maybe next year they win and next year They don't . Who ever the owner is ,I'll be
thankful for MY TEAM .

Bottom line is without the Bills in Buffalo , the only claim to fame is a freakin chicken wings , cold weather and snow . Be happy someone else is willing to use HIS money to keep the team where they belong.

Thanks, sd. My feelings exactly. I want the Bills to win, too, like you and everyone else. But how losing games is worse than losing the franchise totally baffles me.

sdbillsfan2
02-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks, sd. My feelings exactly. I want the Bills to win, too, like you and everyone else. But how losing games is worse than losing the franchise totally baffles me.

Alot of people sure would sure look like fools tailgating at a stadium without any games. Or talking about a team that no longer exists . This team is so much more then the wins and losses .
I live about 30 minutes from the Chargers games . In 34 years ,I've gone to zero.
But let me tell ya ...Every Sunday I'm watching a Bills home game ,I wish I was there.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM

thankful for MY TEAM .

See, you've been stuck in that downhill slide mentality for so long that you can't see the forest from the trees. It's not ham under your arm. It's a 1/2 pound of cheap bologna that's about to expire. You said it yourself- there aren't a lot of things to get excited about, so people get excited about a mediocre team even though it's mediocre. That's a loser's mentality. Why should the people of WNY settle for a mediocre team just because there are few other things about which to get excited?

As far as the DIY thing, that's great to say when ranting on a message board. But the reality is that the Bills are worth roughly $800 million, and the NFL rules require a majority owner. So, we'd have to find one person who has at least $401 million to invest and then another $399 million on top of that. None of us have the pull to do that and you know it.

And what do you mean TG owes the area nothing? He did us a big favor by saving the Sabres. But he gets rich off the labor of the people that work for him at Paychex in Rochester, and the people of WNY kept the Sabres viable through years of his mediocre ownership when they easily could have turned their backs on a lackluster product. It's a symbiotic relationship.

justasportsfan
02-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't know about that. There are plenty of teams in pro sports that have been losers for decades. Literally decades.

And we're becoming one of them.

you have a better chance of winning if you HAVE a team than not having a team at all.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 11:07 AM
you better chance of winning if you HAVE a team than not having a team at all.

yeah well the only reason our chances of winning aren't zero is because it's mathematically impossible. But our chances of winning are as close to zero as they can possibly be without actually being zero.

It's like having to choose between a kick to the face and a kick to the nuts.

justasportsfan
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
yeah well the only reason our chances of winning aren't zero is because it's mathematically impossible. But our chances of winning are as close to zero as they can possibly be without actually being zero.

It's like having to choose between a kick to the face and a kick to the nuts.

I guess some of us hang around so we have a team to cheer for (even if the chances of winning are bad) unlike guys like you who hang around so you have something to ***** about.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I guess some of us hang around so we have a team to cheer for (even if the chances of winning are bad) unlike guys like you who hang around so you have something to ***** about.

You underestimate me.

Don't you ever go to the TZ? I have plenty to ***** about that has NOTHING to do with sports.

justasportsfan
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
You underestimate me.

Don't you ever go to the TZ? I have plenty to ***** about that has NOTHING to do with sports.
you underestimate me. I already know that you do nothing but ***** , just wanted to repeat it.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 11:18 AM

I'm 31 years old. If I live to the age of the average American male, I've got 40+ seasons of watching left.

I'd rather not have a team than suffer through 50+ losing seasons (counting the 10 we've just had).

Now, if we have a chance to be competitive, make the playoffs and maybe even win it all once or twice during that span, I certainly don't want to lose the team. But there is absolutely nothing enjoyable about a team that ALWAYS loses.

OpIv37
02-04-2011, 11:20 AM
I can still enjoy our few FA pickups, the excitement of draft day, the start of minicamps and training camps, the first preseason game, the first regular season game, the progress of young players, going to the Ralph or a sports bar, etc.

Foreplay with no orgasm.

justasportsfan
02-04-2011, 11:21 AM
If I live to the age of the average American male, I've got 40+ seasons of watching left.

if you live like you post, the bills have a better chances of winning than you living to be 50. Stress is the no.1 killer.

trapezeus
02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
i want the team here. I've watched bad bills teams for 11 years now. and i vaguely remember the bad teams of the 80's. i can't imagine not watching football on sundays, but i will drop the game like a venomous snake if there are no BUFFALO Bills.

I can handle watching crappy teams. I can't deal without having the bills.

sdbillsfan2
02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
QUICK QUESTIONs TO OP

I ask this in all seriousness .
ARE you a Bills Fan ? ..No if and or buts , just a yes I'm a fan or no I'm not . It hurts sitting on the fence to long.

You seem find a million reason to convince yourself not to be . It's ok to be a fan and admit it .. Stand up and say it my friend
" My name is OPiV 37 and I'm a Bills fan "
Listen I may not like the way things run in Albany , but if they called and said I didn't hit the lottery for a million ,but did for a grand , I sure wouldn't tell them no thanks or whine about it. I would continue to play the lotto though.

Bill Cody
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
See, you've been stuck in that downhill slide mentality for so long that you can't see the forest from the trees. It's not ham under your arm. It's a 1/2 pound of cheap bologna that's about to expire.

It may be cheap bologna but it's OUR cheap bologna. "But but if we can't win it's no fun and we never win". Boo ****ing hoo. Man up OP. We're going to win someday and when we do it will make the party that's coming in Egypt when they dump the dictator look look a wine and cheese party. How do I know? I don't but I choose to believe that it will hapen. But it won't happen if the team is gone.

The Browns were like us. They never won a SB. Then Modell moves the team and the Ravens won. How's that feel to Browns fans? No, keep the Bills here and fight the good fight. When you give up hope you might as well be dead.

psubills62
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Man, people sure do assume a lot when they talk about ownership.

As someone mentioned, Golisano buying the Bills would cost over half of his net worth. While it's not impossible that he would buy them, the more likely scenario is that he would join forces with other people (or person) to help purchase them, thus being a minority owner.

Another point: if Pegula is interested, he seems to be the obvious choice to own the Bills over Golisano. He's got more money, and appears to be interested in keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

People here also seem to forget about motives when it comes to ownership. Why on earth are people comparing Golisano to Wilson? Yes, while Golisano owned the Sabres, they were mediocre/lousy. Do I want that kind of ownership? No. However, what did Golisano do? Turned around and sold the Sabres to someone who seems to legitimately want to compete. Who wouldn't want that? Wilson's motives are...to keep the pet project that he's owned for how many years until he dies? Golisano does not appear to have the ego problem Wilson does. He's not in it to run the team 40+ years and hang on for dear life when he turns senile. He's trying to keep them in Buffalo. Much different. I see Golisano doing exactly what he did with the Sabres - do his best to turn a profit and sell when he finds a good buyer who will keep them in Buffalo.

Besides, as others have indicated, even a blind animal finds food once in a while. Wilson happened to strike gold (then ruined it, but that's another story)...so even if Golisano turned out to run the team like Wilson, there's no telling if he might luck out as well once in a while. If the team isn't around, you don't have that chance, though. I'd rather have the chance than not.

Ebenezer
02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Foreplay with no orgasm.

no team = no erection at all

Jan Reimers
02-04-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm going to say one more thing, and then get off the subject:

You can be a Buffalo Bills' fan and hate the losing, despise Ralph Wilson, be totally pissed and frustrated at the last 11 years, and be sour and miserable about the whole experience.

But if you want the Bills to move, you are NOT a Buffalo Bills fan.

BidsJr
02-04-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm 31 years old. If I live to the age of the average American male, I've got 40+ seasons of watching left.

I'd rather not have a team than suffer through 50+ losing seasons (counting the 10 we've just had).

Now, if we have a chance to be competitive, make the playoffs and maybe even win it all once or twice during that span, I certainly don't want to lose the team. But there is absolutely nothing enjoyable about a team that ALWAYS loses.

At an average of 19 posts per day over your last 8 years here on the board, if the Bills moved you wouldn't have any life left anyway.

So I see why you wouldn't care.

YardRat
02-04-2011, 05:35 PM
You would've never made it through the late 60's, 70's and 80's with this team Op. I know the feeling of worrying that the team would never make it to a Super Bowl, let alone win one, in my lifetime. When it finally happened, though, all those down periods were a lot less disappointing in hindsight, partially tempered by the opportunity to finally play in the big game and have a chance to win it all.

I've waited patiently before, and am doing so again, and would much rather suffer the trials and tribulations of getting there than not have anything to wait for at all.

OpIv37
02-05-2011, 06:24 AM
All of this is predicated on an assumption: that someday this team will improve. That someday we will get there.

Based on what? Ralph's had roughly 10 good years with the Bills out of 50. He's managed to get us to four SB's with ZERO wins and the team has been pathetic for a decade straight. And we are no closer to winning now than we've been.

If Golisano takes over, his track record with the Sabres is remarkably similar to Ralph's with the Bills. He lucked into two good years- one was just a bunch of guys trying hard and over-achieving, and one was a team custom-built for the new NHL rules before the rest of the NHL caught up. The rest of his ownership is mired in the same kind of mediocrity that we all know well.

So, this assumption that this team will eventually good is based on nothing more than hope. There is no logic or reasoning behind it- we all want it to happen so some of you choose to believe that it will, but history and the way the NFL is run now says it won't.

We wouldn't treat any other product like this. If we got bad service at a restaurant multiple times, we'd stop going back. If we bought a new car and it keeps breaking down, we'd buy a different brand of car next time. If we got cable TV and the picture looked like **** and we kept losing service, we'd switch to DirecTV or FiOS. I could keep going, but you get the point.

At what point is it no longer worth it? Look, we are all still here despite some really bad times. Some of you are older than me and even stayed with the team through bad times that I'm too young to remember. If we're still fans now, chances are we aren't going away. But being a fan of this team is becoming less fun and more burdensome. For whatever stupid, illogical reason, none of us are willing to give it up voluntarily.

My point is simply that IF the Bills are going to continue to be THIS bad for the next 40 years, I'd probably be a happier, healthier person in the long run if they just moved so I no longer cared.

SABURZFAN
02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
he'd be the second coming of Ralph Wilson.

SCREW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

tampabay25690
02-05-2011, 10:52 AM
The funny thing is hearing all the talk about Golisano and how he was cheap....
He is the guy that saved the Sabres franchise and kept the Sabres in Buffalo....
So maybe we should thank Tom instead of try to run him out of town.......
I guess some really just don't know...........

psubills62
02-05-2011, 11:01 AM
All of this is predicated on an assumption: that someday this team will improve. That someday we will get there.

Based on what? Ralph's had roughly 10 good years with the Bills out of 50. He's managed to get us to four SB's with ZERO wins and the team has been pathetic for a decade straight. And we are no closer to winning now than we've been.

If Golisano takes over, his track record with the Sabres is remarkably similar to Ralph's with the Bills. He lucked into two good years- one was just a bunch of guys trying hard and over-achieving, and one was a team custom-built for the new NHL rules before the rest of the NHL caught up. The rest of his ownership is mired in the same kind of mediocrity that we all know well.

So, this assumption that this team will eventually good is based on nothing more than hope. There is no logic or reasoning behind it- we all want it to happen so some of you choose to believe that it will, but history and the way the NFL is run now says it won't.

We wouldn't treat any other product like this. If we got bad service at a restaurant multiple times, we'd stop going back. If we bought a new car and it keeps breaking down, we'd buy a different brand of car next time. If we got cable TV and the picture looked like **** and we kept losing service, we'd switch to DirecTV or FiOS. I could keep going, but you get the point.

At what point is it no longer worth it? Look, we are all still here despite some really bad times. Some of you are older than me and even stayed with the team through bad times that I'm too young to remember. If we're still fans now, chances are we aren't going away. But being a fan of this team is becoming less fun and more burdensome. For whatever stupid, illogical reason, none of us are willing to give it up voluntarily.

My point is simply that IF the Bills are going to continue to be THIS bad for the next 40 years, I'd probably be a happier, healthier person in the long run if they just moved so I no longer cared.

But at the same time you're assuming two things: 1) Golisano would be the owner with the most decision-making power, and 2) Golisano would remain owner of the Bills for 30+ years. I don't see either of those things happening.

OpIv37
02-05-2011, 11:03 AM
He is the guy that saved the Sabres franchise and kept the Sabres in Buffalo....
And this is the whole problem- the mentality that having a team is good enough. Golisano saved the Sabres, then proceeded to keep them mired in mediocrity.

Why do we allow owners to bring/save the team then rest on their laurels forever? The goal isn't simply to HAVE a team, it's to WIN.

So, if you are happy with teams that max out at 7 wins and have no star players, then by all means kiss Tommy G's ass and root for him to buy the Bills. If you actually want a winner, get over the fact that he and Ralph brought/saved the teams and look beyond then for ownership.

YardRat
02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Some of us also understand what it's like to lose a team already, and can speak from experience. You're probably too young to remember the Braves too.

ddaryl
02-05-2011, 03:15 PM
I just hope to ****ing God their is a better option then Golisano. He might have saved the Sabres, but he promised to build a contender and when it look like we had it he had it stripped down. And I for am extremely glad he is out.

I do have to give him respect for the whole keeping the franchise in Buffalo ordeal... That deserves major Kudos... but I'm still very upset with him or any sports team owner that doesn't do what is necessary to build a winner and maintain a winner.

If I have no choice I will accept him as an owner, yes I would rather the Bills stick around... but to have to go through another stretch like this last one is something I don't think I can persevere through again.

I'm beyond fed up with cheap ass Buffalo sports ownership. If you buy a team you have made a commitment to the area and the fans of that team. if you can not make that commitment then you have no business buying a sports franchise IMO.

I was around for the Braves, albeit very young... I had no emotional attachment to the team, and have none for the sport in general.

OpIv37
02-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Some of us also understand what it's like to lose a team already, and can speak from experience. You're probably too young to remember the Braves too.
The Braves? You mean the ****ing Los Angeles Clippers? Is that what you really want? Another perennial bottom feeder?

When did Buffalo fall victim to this "mediocrity is better than nothing" mentality? Have some pride and have some standards.

Ebenezer
02-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Do yourself a huge favor. Find another team. It's very obvious that this one is not to your liking. It also appears to be the only thing still connecting you to this area. Just completely break the ties. Really. Deep down I don't think you give two ****s about NY, Rochester, Buffalo or anything else around this area. Save yourself the aggravation and just find a new team to root for - I see the Ravens are pretty good every year. Start there.

Ebenezer
02-05-2011, 06:09 PM
he wasn't cheap....they just didn't spend it correctly.

OpIv37
02-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Do yourself a huge favor. Find another team. It's very obvious that this one is not to your liking. It also appears to be the only thing still connecting you to this area. Just completely break the ties. Really. Deep down I don't think you give two ****s about NY, Rochester, Buffalo or anything else around this area. Save yourself the aggravation and just find a new team to root for - I see the Ravens are pretty good every year. Start there.
Really, Eb? I thought you were above this nonsense. Guess I overestimated you.

Ebenezer
02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Really, Eb? I thought you were above this nonsense. Guess I overestimated you.
It's not non-sense, Op. Do you ever read the stuff you post?? Go back with an objective eye and reread some. Jan was 100% correct. You are not a real fan.

OpIv37
02-05-2011, 06:25 PM
It's not non-sense, Op. Do you ever read the stuff you post?? Go back with an objective eye and reread some. Jan was 100% correct. You are not a real fan.
LMAO. Attacking my fanhood because you have no rebuttal to the content of my post. The truth hurts, doesn't it?

Ebenezer
02-05-2011, 06:31 PM
LMAO. Attacking my fanhood because you have no rebuttal to the content of my post. The truth hurts, doesn't it?
Brian, I could care less really. I defriended you from Facebook because I could not put up with your constant rants and complaining.. I am not attacking your "fanhood". I am attacking your attitude. You bring this place down like you cannot believe. You're a fan? Fine. You are a terrible one. You're 31? Fine. Act it. You really need to grow up....and not just about the Bills.

sdbillsfan2
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
He admitted he's no longer a fan Eb , Hence the tag line to his id :

OpIv37 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=346)
#346 http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/arcade/trophy.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=346) was once a fan, now just a douchey pessimist

Ebenezer
02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
He admitted he's no longer a fan Eb , Hence the tag line to his id :

OpIv37 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=346)
#346 http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/arcade/trophy.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=346) was once a fan, now just a douchey pessimist
SD, other people can change somebody's title. I'm not going by that.

OpIv37
02-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Brian, I could care less really. I defriended you from Facebook because I could not put up with your constant rants and complaining.. I am not attacking your "fanhood". I am attacking your attitude. You bring this place down like you cannot believe. You're a fan? Fine. You are a terrible one. You're 31? Fine. Act it. You really need to grow up....and not just about the Bills.
Okay, so you're attacking my attitude and not my fanhood. You are still resorting to attacks rather than attempting to refute the actual content of my post.

Ebenezer
02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Okay, so you're attacking my attitude and not my fanhood. You are still resorting to attacks rather than attempting to refute the actual content of my post.
I didn't attack anything. I defined. I'm also done.

sdbillsfan2
02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
SD, other people can change somebody's title. I'm not going by that.

I suggest we just consider the source and roll on Eb .I'm sure there a more then a few here who realize op is who he is .
I'm sorry,but you come off as a malcontent Op. And I have to agree about you coming off as constantly negative . This is a fan site . so you rant and rave all you like and I'll just cheer a little louder the the Bills.

OpIv37
02-05-2011, 06:51 PM
I suggest we just consider the source and roll on Eb .I'm sure there a more then a few here who realize op is who he is .
I'm sorry,but you come off as a malcontent Op. And I have to agree about you coming off as constantly negative . This is a fan site . so you rant and rave all you like and I'll just cheer a little louder the the Bills.

I've been over this 100 times, but this team has been nothing but garbage since this website has been existence. I don't know how anyone who claims to be a fan can be anything BUT negative about this team.

And btw, cheering and ranting aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, ranting when the things you are cheering for fail to materialize makes a lot of sense.

sdbillsfan2
02-05-2011, 07:51 PM
I've been over this 100 times, but this team has been nothing but garbage since this website has been existence. I don't know how anyone who claims to be a fan can be anything BUT negative about this team.

And btw, cheering and ranting aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, ranting when the things you are cheering for fail to materialize makes a lot of sense.

You said it yourself,," YOU DON"T KNOW ! goodnight op!

hydro
02-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Imagine being behind a soccer mom driving 45mph while you are trying to make it to work everyday. That is how every other poster on this board feels like reading your posts.

YardRat
02-05-2011, 09:51 PM
The Braves? You mean the ****ing Los Angeles Clippers? Is that what you really want? Another perennial bottom feeder?

When did Buffalo fall victim to this "mediocrity is better than nothing" mentality? Have some pride and have some standards.

No, not the Clippers...the Braves. They actually had a pretty decent team, including a few rookies of the year and HOFers, making the playoffs three years in a row out of the eight they were here. They were hardly bottom-feeders, and had built up a great rivalry with the Celtics.

When Paul Snyder and John Y. Brown got done screwing us out of the team and they left, the NBA basically died for me. No other team has replaced them, nor could they, as far as a long-term commitment to being a fan.

I would much rather have the Braves still be here to root for, even if they still haven't won a title after 30+ years.

No offense, but if your pride and standards are so high, you probably really should consider switching teams if 'home' has no relevance to you anymore.

OpIv37
02-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Imagine being behind a soccer mom driving 45mph while you are trying to make it to work everyday. That is how every other poster on this board feels like reading your posts.

except that I have to get to work. No one forces you or any other zoner to read my posts.

Oh, and the reality is that the speed limit is 45 mph and I'm just being impatient, just like the reality is the content of my posts and most of you just have your heads in the sand.

OpIv37
02-06-2011, 12:31 AM
No offense, but if your pride and standards are so high, you probably really should consider switching teams if 'home' has no relevance to you anymore.

yeah, I could do that.

Or, my "home" could man up and start having some pride instead of attempting to force me to go elsewhere for it. It's pathetic how some of you have just rolled over and accepted mediocrity.

Seriously, you just criticized me for having standards instead of holding the team accountable. If you people are incapable of seeing how ridiculous that is, then I am just wasting my time.

psubills62
02-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think I'd rather have C grades on all my tests with the chance of getting the occasional A or B than guaranteed F's across the board.

Having a team does not carry with it a guarantee of mediocrity. NOT having a team guarantees zero success. Which position would I rather be in?

From what I've seen, very few people are actually happy with mediocrity. The fact that they would prefer the likelihood of mediocrity over X years with another owner while keeping the team in Buffalo does not mean they're happy with mediocrity, period.

YardRat
02-06-2011, 06:42 AM
yeah, I could do that.

Or, my "home" could man up and start having some pride instead of attempting to force me to go elsewhere for it. It's pathetic how some of you have just rolled over and accepted mediocrity.

Seriously, you just criticized me for having standards instead of holding the team accountable. If you people are incapable of seeing how ridiculous that is, then I am just wasting my time.

I'm not criticizing you for having standards, and I do hold the team accountable. It's your solution that is troubling.

Standards are nice, but loyalty and commitment rank higher to me.

OpIv37
02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think I'd rather have C grades on all my tests with the chance of getting the occasional A or B than guaranteed F's across the board.

Having a team does not carry with it a guarantee of mediocrity. NOT having a team guarantees zero success. Which position would I rather be in?

From what I've seen, very few people are actually happy with mediocrity. The fact that they would prefer the likelihood of mediocrity over X years with another owner while keeping the team in Buffalo does not mean they're happy with mediocrity, period.
The flaw in your logic is that we are graded on a curve and there are people in the class who are much smarter, so there really is no chance at the occasional A or B. Having an owner like Ralph or Golisano is a guarantee of mediocrity.

OpIv37
02-06-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm not criticizing you for having standards, and I do hold the team accountable. It's your solution that is troubling.

Standards are nice, but loyalty and commitment rank higher to me.
Why do loyalty and commitment go one way? The teams expect it from us and even depend on it, and can't even reward us with the occasional winning season.

YardRat
02-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Why do loyalty and commitment go one way? The teams expect it from us and even depend on it, and can't even reward us with the occasional winning season.

I don't perceive it that way.

Loyalty and commitment from the organization and owner's standpoint is partially (mostly?) displayed by keeping the team in the home city.

Ralph is loyal and committed to the WNY community, otherwise he would have moved the team years ago. Golisano is loyal and committed to the WNY community (as far as the Sabres are concerned, anyway) otherwise he would have made another $75mil and sold the team prior to this.

Both owners have exhibited loyalty and commitment by insisting the teams remain here, and either onw could've made more money by eschewing that.

OpIv37
02-06-2011, 11:32 AM
If Ralph is so loyal and committed, why did he sell off home games to Toronto? Why hasnt he done anything to keep the team here after his passing or when the lease and Toronto deal expire in 2012?

The case against Golisano is more difficult to make, but it's highly unlikely that the NHL would have approved a sale that moves the Sabres. They wouldn't let Phoenix move- there is no way in hell let Buffalo move.

And, for the record, both owners could make more money by winning.

YardRat
02-06-2011, 12:55 PM
If Ralph is so loyal and committed, why did he sell off home games to Toronto?

IMO, because it helped, financiaaly, keep the team viable in this market.

Why hasnt he done anything to keep the team here after his passing or when the lease and Toronto deal expire in 2012?

You know that he hasn't how?

The case against Golisano is more difficult to make, but it's highly unlikely that the NHL would have approved a sale that moves the Sabres. They wouldn't let Phoenix move- there is no way in hell let Buffalo move.

That's pure speculation on your part.

And, for the record, both owners could make more money by winning.

True, but marginal. Besides, the discussion isn't really about making money...it's about loyalty, commitment, standards, etc.

OpIv37
02-06-2011, 12:59 PM
IMO, because it helped, financiaaly, keep the team viable in this market.

You know that he hasn't how?

That's pure speculation on your part.

True, but marginal. Besides, the discussion isn't really about making money...it's about loyalty, commitment, standards, etc.

If Ralph has done something to keep the team in Buffalo after 2012/his passing, why haven't we heard about it? What good does it do him to keep it quiet? If anything, the Bills could use the positive PR.

As far as the Sabres' sale, it's speculation but not on my part. Many people who know a lot more about hockey than me have said the same thing.

And it's always about money. If they are committed to the fans, why aren't they committed to giving the fans quality? You seem to think that a commitment to keeping the team here is good enough. I disagree- I think a commitment to quality should be part of the deal.

psubills62
02-06-2011, 01:01 PM
The flaw in your logic is that we are graded on a curve and there are people in the class who are much smarter, so there really is no chance at the occasional A or B. Having an owner like Ralph or Golisano is a guarantee of mediocrity.

No, it's not. The early 90's never happened in your mind? If you have a team, there is still a chance of doing well. It may be small, but it's not zero. The chances are zero if you don't have a team.

And like I've said several times, Golisano would very likely not be the majority owner, and if he was, he'd almost certainly be looking to sell it a few years down the road to someone else. Why on earth do you assume Golisano will be the owner for 30+ years? As long as they stay in Buffalo, there's still a chance of them eventually becoming owned by someone who cares about winning.

OpIv37
02-06-2011, 01:07 PM
No, it's not. The early 90's never happened in your mind? If you have a team, there is still a chance of doing well. It may be small, but it's not zero. The chances are zero if you don't have a team.

And like I've said several times, Golisano would very likely not be the majority owner, and if he was, he'd almost certainly be looking to sell it a few years down the road to someone else. Why on earth do you assume Golisano will be the owner for 30+ years? As long as they stay in Buffalo, there's still a chance of them eventually becoming owned by someone who cares about winning.

The early 90's were an anomaly. Lightning doesn't strike twice. You're reverting to the old Billszone mantra: using the exception to prove the rule. You are correct in that the chances aren't zero, but the only reason they aren't zero is because it's mathematically impossible. The gap between the chances of doing well with Ralph or Golisano as owner and the chances of doing well without a team is very, very, very small.

Why on earth do you assume Golisano wouldn't be the majority owner? Who else in WNY has the money to be the majority owner? And if Golisano does take over, that means the only two owners in the history of the team would have been Ralph and Golisano.... who is this prince on a white horse that is going to ride in and suddenly be a good owner?

Your whole argument is predicated on infinitesimally small possibilities. The only defense you have is "well, it's technically not impossible."

YardRat
02-06-2011, 01:13 PM
If Ralph has done something to keep the team in Buffalo after 2012/his passing, why haven't we heard about it? What good does it do him to keep it quiet? If anything, the Bills could use the positive PR.

Why do you feel entitled to that information at this time? I'd bet the details (if there are any...assuming there definitely is would be speculation also) will be revealed when the time is appropriate.

As far as the Sabres' sale, it's speculation but not on my part. Many people who know a lot more about hockey than me have said the same thing.

Regardless of the messenger, it's still speculation unless those others are directly involved with the day-to-day conversations of the NHL.

And it's always about money. If they are committed to the fans, why aren't they committed to giving the fans quality? You seem to think that a commitment to keeping the team here is good enough. I disagree- I think a commitment to quality should be part of the deal.

It's a reach to blame ownership for poor drafts, poor trades, etc other than the 'buck stops here' argument. If Ralph was more committed to mediocrity than attempting to succeed we probably wouldn't have seen the turnover in GM's and HC's that we have over the last decade.

YardRat
02-06-2011, 01:15 PM
The early 90's were an anomaly. Lightning doesn't strike twice. You're reverting to the old Billszone mantra: using the exception to prove the rule. You are correct in that the chances aren't zero, but the only reason they aren't zero is because it's mathematically impossible. The gap between the chances of doing well with Ralph or Golisano as owner and the chances of doing well without a team is very, very, very small.

Why on earth do you assume Golisano wouldn't be the majority owner? Who else in WNY has the money to be the majority owner? And if Golisano does take over, that means the only two owners in the history of the team would have been Ralph and Golisano.... who is this prince on a white horse that is going to ride in and suddenly be a good owner?

Your whole argument is predicated on infinitesimally small possibilities. The only defense you have is "well, it's technically not impossible."

Mid-60's. Or does that not count because it doesn't support your argument?

psubills62
02-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Actually, the logical flaw is yours. I'm only using the exception to prove that exceptions do happen, nothing else. You have no proof to show that mediocrity is guaranteed throughout an entire run of ownership. Even the Cardinals got to the SB once. Even the Saints got to a SB once. Exceptions do happen, and they're nowhere close to "infinitesimally small."

Why does a guy need to be in WNY to own the team and keep them in Buffalo? Hasn't Pegula mentioned that he would like to see them stay in Buffalo? Golisano does not appear to be rich enough to do much besides contribute to the purchase.

Who are you to say they're infinitesimally small possibilities? Have you run the numbers on our chances of making the SB under Golisano? I'd love to see them. Oh, and what exactly are the chances of making the Super Bowl when we don't have a team again? Infinitesimally small or not, ANYTHING is better than zero.

OpIv37
02-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Who are you to say they're infinitesimally small possibilities? Have you run the numbers on our chances of making the SB under Golisano? I'd love to see them. Oh, and what exactly are the chances of making the Super Bowl when we don't have a team again? Infinitesimally small or not, ANYTHING is better than zero.

Who am I to say?

Look at the team's record under Ralph. Look at the Sabres' record under Golisano. You can try to make this about me all you want but the results speak for themselves.

OpIv37
02-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Why do you feel entitled to that information at this time? I'd bet the details (if there are any...assuming there definitely is would be speculation also) will be revealed when the time is appropriate.

Entitled? WTF are you talking about? It would benefit the Bills in terms of PR to have any information about the long term viability of the team in Buffalo out there. It has nothing to do with me.

Regardless of the messenger, it's still speculation unless those others are directly involved with the day-to-day conversations of the NHL.

Not all speculation is equal. Anyone who knows anything about the NHL knows the deal wouldn't have been approved, so you can continue giving kudos to Golisano for turning down $70 million but you're just buying into his spin.

It's a reach to blame ownership for poor drafts, poor trades, etc other than the 'buck stops here' argument. If Ralph was more committed to mediocrity than attempting to succeed we probably wouldn't have seen the turnover in GM's and HC's that we have over the last decade.

When every single person that the owner hires to do drafts and trades does a poor job, the it comes back to the owner. The flaw in this line of thinking is that Ralph a) makes good hiring decisions and b) trusts the people that he hires. The reality is that he a) makes bad hiring decisions and b) interferes. That will never change.