PDA

View Full Version : New GM or new head coach... usually means get a QB!!

Commissioner
02-05-2011, 07:45 AM
I really can't imagine the Bills going through this draft or free agency without making a move to identify a franchise QB... unless they think Fitz is the answer... which i highly doubt.

Look at how most teams successfully rebuild when they get a new GM or Head coach... they start by bringing in someone to be a franchise QB.

NO and Sean Payton... brings in Brees. Wins superbowl!
ATL and HC Mike Smith... Matt Ryan. 2 playoff appearances?
DET and Jim Schwartz... Matthew Stafford. Started to look like a gamer.
HOU and Gary Kubiak... Traded for Matt Shaub.
WAS and Shanahan... Traded for McNabb. Looks like a miss but it was an attempt.
ARZ and Wisenhunt... Brought in Warner. Went to Superbowl.
KC and Haley. Traded for Matt Cassel.
STL and Spagnuolo. Drafted Sam Bradford.
NYJ and Ryan ... Mark Sanchez.

Now look at the teams that seem to be struggling year in and year out to rebuild...
BUF
MIA
OAK
CLE
....... the common denominator is we have been rebuilding without successfully investing in a franchise QB.

Back to my original point. Why would the Bills with their new GM and head coach think they could rebuild successfully without first identifying or investing in a franchise QB? It seems like the first order of business for new regimes is to find a franchise QB and build around him. I have a strong feeling this year the Bills will be going after a QB some way or another.

ddaryl
02-05-2011, 08:00 AM
At this point Gabbert is the only QB worth picking at #3, and we could possibly trade back a few picks and land him, which would be my preferred model, but that would mean one of the other QB starved teams makes a trade for Kolb reducing the chance they try to move up

Newton comes with red flags and lack of college experience worthy of a high pick. He will have ot have an amazing workout and combine, but my eyes will be on his wonderlic. Does he have the cognitive ability necessary to match his athleticism.

But yes it would be nice to have a "Franchise" QB, this year is just a little weaker then I thought it was going to be for QB's. At the end of last years college season I thought there would be 4 or more top QB's to be had early, but that never materialized, and some top names actually regressed some, or didn't improve much over their previous season

better days
02-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Well, Miami did draft Henne..................but they should have drafted Ryan.

Night Train
02-05-2011, 08:27 AM
If they pick one high, they better get it right or it's 5 more years of losing.

Nighthawk
02-05-2011, 09:26 AM
If they pick one high, they better get it right or it's 5 more years of losing.

But that is the case with any player we pick at that spot...doesn't matter if it is a QB, DL, CB, WR, whatever...it is important that player plays and plays well at a position of need.

Commissioner
02-05-2011, 10:07 AM
But that is the case with any player we pick at that spot...doesn't matter if it is a QB, DL, CB, WR, whatever...it is important that player plays and plays well at a position of need. That's true...

This year though we have the potential to draft any QB we want.... Hopefully they can identify one as a franchise QB.

I grew up watching Jim Kelly.... i'm sick of watching scrubs. I want another franchise guy to enjoy watching.

ZEUS
02-05-2011, 11:46 AM
They have their franchise qb. Fitz is the man. I wish you all would quit whining about drafting a qb.

Commissioner
02-05-2011, 12:03 PM
They have their franchise qb. Fitz is the man. I wish you all would quit whining about drafting a qb.

That's sad.

YardRat
02-05-2011, 12:14 PM
I agree that they'll probably look for another QB, but doubt they'll spend the third overall pick on one.

Commissioner
02-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I agree that they'll probably look for another QB, but doubt they'll spend the third overall pick on one.

I think if they draft a QB, it will be at #3. Anything after the 1st round is a developmental QB which we already have in Brohm, and Brown. I think they guy they get this year through the draft or free agency is the guy that Gailey will want as his franchise QB.

I think last season was all about assessing the players on the roster.

Nighthawk
02-05-2011, 02:09 PM

LoL...yeah, OK...

ZEUS
02-05-2011, 02:19 PM
I think they put some better players around Fitz and see how it goes. If we make the playoffs Fitz will remain the qb of the future. If not, they will surely be looking. There is not a better qb in the draft or free agent that is better than Fitz out there.

Nighthawk, where's your Spiller avatar. A little dissapointed in you glamour pick?

mayotm
02-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Most people won't argue that the Bills need a franchise QB. The question is whether or not there is a franchise QB in this draft. Personally, I don't think there is. Thus, I think the Bills will go in another direction at three and draft somebody later for Fitz to groom.

Nighthawk
02-05-2011, 02:39 PM
I think they put some better players around Fitz and see how it goes. If we make the playoffs Fitz will remain the qb of the future. If not, they will surely be looking. There is not a better qb in the draft or free agent that is better than Fitz out there.

Nighthawk, where's your Spiller avatar. A little dissapointed in you glamour pick?

You'd need to put an all-star team around Fitz to make this team a winner...that is unrealistic. As for Spiller, he was not my choice, but I'll admit it, I bought into the hype and he didn't deliver. More of reason why you don't take the BPA, but take the BPA at a position of need.

Joe Fo Sho
02-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Oakland got a QB...several actually

Nighthawk
02-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Oakland got a QB...several actually

Yeah, because their guy failed, we should never try. Got it!

Joe Fo Sho
02-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, because their guy failed, we should never try. Got it!

So lets figure out exactly who we should get...

Who is our free agent Drew Brees or Kurt Warner?

Who can we trade for to get our McNabb or Schaub?

Who is this draft is our Bradford, Stafford or Ryan?? **** Sanchez, I wouldn't want him.

Nighthawk
02-05-2011, 04:36 PM
So lets figure out exactly who we should get...

Who is our free agent Drew Brees or Kurt Warner?

Who can we trade for to get our McNabb or Schaub?

Who is this draft is our Bradford, Stafford or Ryan?? **** Sanchez, I wouldn't want him.

Again, how do YOU or anybody else on this board know who is going to be good? Just askin' because some of you sound like you have a crystal ball that gives you all the answers.

Joe Fo Sho
02-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Again, how do YOU or anybody else on this board know who is going to be good? Just askin' because some of you sound like you have a crystal ball that gives you all the answers.

The point is that nobody friggin knows anything. But the people who are most likely to know are the guys that get paid by one of the 32 NFL teams. I'm not against drafting ANY position if he is worth the 3rd overall pick. I just personally believe that there are better Defensive guys at 3 than QB's, and Defense is a HUGE need for this team.

So which QB do you want?

Nighthawk
02-05-2011, 07:48 PM
The point is that nobody friggin knows anything. But the people who are most likely to know are the guys that get paid by one of the 32 NFL teams. I'm not against drafting ANY position if he is worth the 3rd overall pick. I just personally believe that there are better Defensive guys at 3 than QB's, and Defense is a HUGE need for this team.

So which QB do you want?

I'm of the mindset that if there is a QB at #3 that the scouts feel is worthy, then I believe we should take them. However, I'm OK with taking the best big man on defense too. I don't believe in taking the BPA...such as a CB or WR...does nothing for this team, in terms of getting better.

B-DON
02-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Almost any player we draft minus a qb or rb will make this team better.

Joe Fo Sho
02-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm of the mindset that if there is a QB at #3 that the scouts feel is worthy, then I believe we should take them. However, I'm OK with taking the best big man on defense too. I don't believe in taking the BPA...such as a CB or WR...does nothing for this team, in terms of getting better.

I'd agree with not taking BPA if this team didn't struggle with the draft year in and year out. When I look at who we took and who we COULD'VE taken, regardless of position that guy would've helped us out more than the scrub we drafted.

Here's hoping Nix and Gailey know more than the last regime.

TigerJ
02-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I just saw a mock draft that had Buffalo taking Jake Locker in the second round. I could actually see that happening. Locker's play this year has quite possibly dropped him out of the first round. The thing is, except for his accuracy issues, Locker has a lot of credentials that scream first round. He's a high character guy, has strong leadership qualities, is a phenomenal athlete. What it comes down to is scouts need to try and ascertain the source of his accuracy issues. Is it mechanics? Ist something inherent in Licker that won't go away? Is it coaching? Locker hasn't had much continuity in college in terms of offensive coordinators.

Let's just say, if the Bills think they see something that will allow them to fix Locker's accuracy issues, I'm at least open to the idea. Of course they thought they could fix Trent Edwards and failed miserably, but it was a completely different issue with Edwards.

Joe Fo Sho
02-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I just saw a mock draft that had Buffalo taking Jake Locker in the second round. I could actually see that happening. Locker's play this year has quite possibly dropped him out of the first round. The thing is, except for his accuracy issues, Locker has a lot of credentials that scream first round. He's a high character guy, has strong leadership qualities, is a phenomenal athlete. What it comes down to is scouts need to try and ascertain the source of his accuracy issues. Is it mechanics? Ist something inherent in Licker that won't go away? Is it coaching? Locker hasn't had much continuity in college in terms of offensive coordinators.

Let's just say, if the Bills think they see something that will allow them to fix Locker's accuracy issues, I'm at least open to the idea. Of course they thought they could fix Trent Edwards and failed miserably, but it was a completely different issue with Edwards.

Judging by how much they like Fitz, accuracy isn't as high on the list of credentials as others.