X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Value of an Elite CB

I think this game highlighted the importance of an elite CB. Before Woodson went out of the game the GB defense was in control and stopping the Steelers cold. Once he went out of the game it opened things up for the Steeler offense.

On the other side, although the Steelers had arguably the best front 7 in football they couldn't stop Rodgers.

I'm not saying you can't win without an elite CB, but for me, an elite CB can make your defense go from good to great.

For those who don't want Peterson, take a look at Woodson because he is that good and can allow our defense to do so many things we couldn't do before.
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Value of an Elite CB

Pretty sure the Packers just won the superbowl without their top CB and safety for half the game.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Tramon Williams is pretty friggin good too.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

It all comes down to pressure. If you can't pressure the QB, he'll pick you apart. WRs will get open, eventually, no matter who is covering them.

Comment

• tampabay25690
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi
          I think this game highlighted the importance of an elite CB. Before Woodson went out of the game the GB defense was in control and stopping the Steelers cold. Once he went out of the game it opened things up for the Steeler offense.

On the other side, although the Steelers had arguably the best front 7 in football they couldn't stop Rodgers.

I'm not saying you can't win without an elite CB, but for me, an elite CB can make your defense go from good to great.

For those who don't want Peterson, take a look at Woodson because he is that good and can allow our defense to do so many things we couldn't do before.
          A top CB or shutdown CB is a definite plus.
          GO Gators!!!!!!
          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
            Pretty sure the Packers just won the superbowl without their top CB and safety for half the game.
            That was my point though, the Packers defense was in control in the first half but allowed Pittsburgh back in the game when Woodson went out.

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

It all comes down to pressure. If you can't pressure the QB, he'll pick you apart. WRs will get open, eventually, no matter who is covering them.
              Agreed. But Woodson allows the Pack to be multiple on defense. He is one of their better blitzers because at 34 he is still their top athlete, he also allows them to send more blitzers because he doesn't need help on the back end.

That's the difference between selecting an elite talent and a player who fills a need.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

Yes, but how many corners in the NFL are there like Woodson? Woodson is Pollamalu, only he plays corner. There aren't many, if any, corners who can do what Woodson does.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

I would choose a DE like Bruce Smith over a shut down corner. Anytime you can get all-pro production on the DL trumps a shutdown corner IMO because disrupting the QB with a pass rush can produce plenty more turnovers then just a shut down corner.

Although I wouldn't complain about a shutdown corner on our team... I firmly believe this team needs more talent and production on their front 7 1st.
                  Last edited by ddaryl; 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by King Bedard
                    Tramon Williams is pretty friggin good too.
                    He is but he's also feast or faminine. He can be beat because he's so aggressive.

When Collins and Woodson got hurt the game completely changed and Pitt started to make it interesting.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Yes, but how many corners in the NFL are there like Woodson? Woodson is Pollamalu, only he plays corner. There aren't many, if any, corners who can do what Woodson does.
                      Well that is the report on Peterson. Best CB since Woodson came out. Similar size and elite level athleticism, speed and most importantly his body control for any player let alone a guy who is over 6'1 222 is unreal.

Returns kicks just like Woodson and just has that ability where he clearly stands out as the best athlete on the field whenever he plays
                      Last edited by Mahdi; 02-07-2011, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl
                        I would choose a DE like Bruce Smith over a shut down corner. Anytime you can get all-pro production on the DL trumps a shutdown corner IMO because disrupting the QB with a pass rush can produce plenty more turnovers then just a shut down corner.

Although I wouldn't complain about a shutdown corner on our team... I firmly believe this team needs more talent and production on their front 7 1st.
                        I 100% agree. And the closest thing to that in this draft is Bowers. And he's not close.

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
                          shelby's big brother smilie smilie
                          • Mar 2007

Man I don't know dude, I see the Pac as a team that wins no matter who they plug in. Great coaching. The only way it gets done now.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi
                            Well that is the report on Peterson. Best CB since Woodson came out. Similar size and elite level athleticism, speed and most importantly his body control for any player let alone a guy who is over 6'1 222 is unreal.

Returns kicks just like Woodson and just has that ability where he clearly stands out as the best athlete on the field whenever he plays
                            It's hard to compare someone to Woodson. I agree, if Peterson is the best player available, the Bills should take him, but I don't know if he's going to be a game changer right away. Playing corner in the NFL is a lot different than playing corner in college. Even Woodson took a few years to develop into what his is now.

Comment

• madness
                              • Apr 2003

It's a petty argument. A dominate DL gives a CB less time to have to cover and a dominate secondary, gives the DL more time to get to the QB. No team wants to go one way or the other it just balances out that way unless your fortunate to have both.

As much as I would love to have Peterson, I don't see him falling past Denver.

Comment

Working...
                              X