PDA

View Full Version : They MUST keep Stafford

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
The Light has finally come on!!!! :bf1:

SabreEleven
02-08-2011, 09:03 PM
will it stay on for next season after he gets a contract?

tampabay25690
02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I agree.
Before this season started I said Stafford will be the player this year that steps up.

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't see why not. It isn't like he is in an UFA contract year. He is RFA.

Nothing in this world is a guarantee however. He is easily our best player on the ice most nights.

Nighthawk
02-08-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't see why not. It isn't like he is in an UFA contract year. He is RFA.

Nothing in this world is a guarantee however. He is easily our best player on the ice most nights.

Have you been paying attention to the contracts handed out in arbitration? I'm sure Stafford has...

THATHURMANATOR
02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Have you been paying attention to the contracts handed out in arbitration? I'm sure Stafford has...
What do you want me to tell you?

Ok get rid of him I guess... WTF!!!

Stop licking everyone's Balls LECTER!!!

Nighthawk
02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
What do you want me to tell you?

Ok get rid of him I guess... WTF!!!

Stop licking everyone's Balls LECTER!!!

No, I'm not saying that, just saying to relax...I'd like to see him put multiple seasons together before jumping on the "Stafford is God" bandwagon. That's all.

Ebenezer
02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
no way to predict...sign him and roll the dice or let him go for the best package possible. either way could work out or blow up.

SabreEleven
02-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I lot of new people are comparing him to Kotalik...He sucked until his contract year except for that year and now he isn't even in the NHL.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 08:44 AM
No, I'm not saying that, just saying to relax...I'd like to see him put multiple seasons together before jumping on the "Stafford is God" bandwagon. That's all.
Not saying anything about being God. Saying they need to keep him. We invested so much time and effort in development and half these idiots want to get rid of him for a pick or a minor league prospect so we can go through this whole thing over again.

We don't have the luxury of being able to see him put multiple seasons together as he is an UFA. IMO they need to keep him.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 09:00 AM
I lot of new people are comparing him to Kotalik...He sucked until his contract year except for that year and now he isn't even in the NHL.
I would question anyone who compares him to Kotolik talent evaluating skills.

In regards to not giving full effort night in and night out I get that from the past couple years, but talent wise Stafford is light years ahead of Kotalik. He is stronger on the puck and in the corners. His snapshot is TOP NOTCH and he goes to the areas he needs to score goals.

Again I get that we need to be worried this is a contract year and why hasn't he done this before. I will take the word of guys like Paul Hamilton, and Lindy Ruff himself when they say he has completely changed everything about his game and attitude this year, and that he has matured.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 09:02 AM
no way to predict...sign him and roll the dice or let him go for the best package possible. either way could work out or blow up.
Sure if there is a no brainer deal then trade him. I am talking about NOT walking away from a UFA deal. IMO they need to not let him get to arbitration.

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2011, 09:18 AM
If it is true that Lindy Ruff loves Hecht, I don't know if I trust Ruff.

If good enough deal came up for Stafford, I would take it. Sick of seeing guys do nothing until their contract is almost up.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=chernobylwraiths]If it is true that Lindy Ruff loves Hecht, I don't know if I trust Ruff.

QUOTE]
Ok..... :db:

Ebenezer
02-09-2011, 10:24 AM
If it is true that Lindy Ruff loves Hecht, I don't know if I trust Ruff.

If good enough deal came up for Stafford, I would take it. Sick of seeing guys do nothing until their contract is almost up.

Ruff may love Hecht's game but he may have to ask Hecht to do things he isn't able to do because of the lack of players as provided by management....and what is Ruff supposed to say? "yup, the guys sucks. he can't skate and i think he's a wuss". No coach is ever going to say that.

trapezeus
02-09-2011, 10:30 AM
how much do we save when we get rid of hecht, connolly and Special Neids? is that like $8MM. Sounds like it's enough to pay stafford and find a decent Center to help the team without spending over. Trade pominville and there is another $4MM i think. or just straight out buy him out.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 10:47 AM
how much do we save when we get rid of hecht, connolly and Special Neids? is that like $8MM. Sounds like it's enough to pay stafford and find a decent Center to help the team without spending over. Trade pominville and there is another $4MM i think. or just straight out buy him out.
Your calculations are right on.

trapezeus
02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
i think if the sabres are sellers of dead weight at the deadline, or simply status quo, that's good news for the rebuild.

I think moving hecht and pominville is impossible. i think connolly is kind of in that range. What team out there is like, "i need a glass man who hasn't scored a playoff goal since 2006. I'm going to give up a prospect for that!"

So if the sabres don't do anything, i'll take that as a good sign that they are prepared to start next year fresh.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
i think if the sabres are sellers of dead weight at the deadline, or simply status quo, that's good news for the rebuild.

I think moving hecht and pominville is impossible. i think connolly is kind of in that range. What team out there is like, "i need a glass man who hasn't scored a playoff goal since 2006. I'm going to give up a prospect for that!"

So if the sabres don't do anything, i'll take that as a good sign that they are prepared to start next year fresh.
Hecht and Connlly would be easier to swallow though since they are coming off the books after the season. Pommer is impossible to move now.

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Ok..... :db:

I'm the dunce but you can't even quote someone properly.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm the dunce but you can't even quote someone properly.
:coocoo:

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Ruff may love Hecht's game but he may have to ask Hecht to do things he isn't able to do because of the lack of players as provided by management....and what is Ruff supposed to say? "yup, the guys sucks. he can't skate and i think he's a wuss". No coach is ever going to say that.

Ruff has been critical of players in the past. All I'm saying is that if Pegula walks up to Lindy after taking over the team and asks him what is the model player that you would like the team to emulate and Ruff says Hecht, then that is a big problem.

OpIv37
02-09-2011, 11:14 AM
For the record, Stafford only has one less goal than Vanek, and he's played 18 less games.

I understand the point about guys showing up in their contract year, but who do we have that's better? I'd love to turn over about 14 guys on this roster but realistically, that isn't going to happen.

tampabay25690
02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Stafford is still young and getting better....
Long term deal is the key for him but for how much is the Question????????

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Hecht and Connlly would be easier to swallow though since they are coming off the books after the season. Pommer is impossible to move now.

Hecht has another year on his contract after this season.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Hecht has another year on his contract after this season.
My bad then he will also be tough to get rid of...

trapezeus
02-09-2011, 11:25 AM
hecht needs to retire. do us all a favor. put him in some cushy stadium team gig next year. just get him off the ice.

pominville needs to be traded for one high risk prospect. he's so useless, i'd rather take a flyer on someone with the proper body size and some question mark than be left with a guy who does nothing, constantly!

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Stafford is young and inconsistant. Still a restricted free agent at the end of the year. Signing him long term without knowing how he will do down the stretch wouldn't be smart IMO.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Stafford is young and inconsistant. Still a restricted free agent at the end of the year. Signing him long term without knowing how he will do down the stretch wouldn't be smart IMO.
Pretty sure a deal wouldn't get done until we have seen the stretch run. What is your point?

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Plus this season he is consistent as there is in the league. 20 goals in 34 games....

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Pretty sure a deal wouldn't get done until we have seen the stretch run. What is your point?

Some people are clamoring for the Sabres to sign him now to a long term lucrative contract NOW. I'm not sold on the guy. Always thought he could be a player with his size and scoring ability, but he never seemed to want to play hard all the time. He disappears for stretches of games.

I want guys on this team who continue to put in good effort. Vanek disappears for the scoresheet for stretches too, but you always seem him in front of the net taking a beating game in and game out.

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Plus this season he is consistent as there is in the league. 20 goals in 34 games....

In the six games he played before the Toronto game, he had 1 goal and 1 assist. In his first 14 games this season, he had 4 goals and 4 assists. Is that what you call consistent?

OpIv37
02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
pominville needs to be traded for one high risk prospect. he's so useless, i'd rather take a flyer on someone with the proper body size and some question mark than be left with a guy who does nothing, constantly!

I don't disagree, but what team would be stupid enough to make that trade? The whole league knows he's useless by now.

OpIv37
02-09-2011, 11:44 AM
btw, according to this page:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/teams/BUF?year=2011

Neidermeyer, Grier, Connolly and Rivet are all UFA's this year. That's almost $10 million off the books. It's $8 million just for Rivet and Connolly, which means the Sabres are getting robbed.

The only UFA's/RFA's who will be expensive to re-sign are Montador and Stafford. Assuming we want to re-sign both, we'd still have enough to make a play for a good UFA from another team. Or, we could see who else is available, let Stafford walk, and sign two good players from other teams.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Some people are clamoring for the Sabres to sign him now to a long term lucrative contract NOW. I'm not sold on the guy. Always thought he could be a player with his size and scoring ability, but he never seemed to want to play hard all the time. He disappears for stretches of games.

I want guys on this team who continue to put in good effort. Vanek disappears for the scoresheet for stretches too, but you always seem him in front of the net taking a beating game in and game out.
I think we all know a deal would take weeks or months to complete. I think we want them to start talking now is what is meant.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
In the six games he played before the Toronto game, he had 1 goal and 1 assist. In his first 14 games this season, he had 4 goals and 4 assists. Is that what you call consistent?
8 points in 14 games is NOT horrible.

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2011, 11:50 AM
8 points in 14 games is NOT horrible.

It ain't "consistent" either.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 11:56 AM
It ain't "consistent" either.
Define consistent I guess. You are grasping at straws now. We get it you don't like Stafford. Maybe signing him will be a bad idea and you can OP us....

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Define consistent I guess. You are grasping at straws now. We get it you don't like Stafford. Maybe signing him will be a bad idea and you can OP us....

Weren't you one of the people loving the Connolly contract?

Where am I grasping at straws? You say he is one of the most consistent players in the league this year and I give you stats showing he isn't and I'M the one who is grasping at straws?

Yeah Thurm, we get it, none of us are GMs in hockey or football and only the guys in those positions are qualified to make those decisions and we should NEVER question what they are doing because they know and we don't. We as fans should just shut up and cheer for the product no matter how bad they might be.

Beebe's Kid
02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
It would be awesome if they didn't sign him, and then everybody could have their new Briere right out of the shoot.

trapezeus
02-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Stafford can go either way.

+: great rookie season, a goal scorer when motivated, big body, very young and entering his prime, possibly still a manageable contract without having to go "all-in" like a briere contract
-, wildly inconsistent at best, down right putrid the last two years (not including this current one) at worst, injury prone

intangible evaluation: Did he finally have the light click, or is this a lazy player on line two playing harder to get a contract?

Even though i suspect he's a connolly/pominville, you can't say, "we want to develop players, and then run from them everytime they look to be expensive or perhaps not a guarantee." Just cause we've been burned before, does not mean we should abandon getting it right going forward. If he's keeps it up through the deadline, barring a ridiculous offer, he probably has to stay.

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 01:20 PM
The thing is he is much more physically talented than Conolly and even more so Pommer.

Connolly was at one time a wizard with the puck on his stick but was never a strong skater nor was he tough in the corners or in front of the net. The concussions have pretty much ended him.

Pomminville was a product of post lockout hockey. He as a great shot and quickness but he is much too small to fight to the areas of the ice he needs to be to score. He can be a 20 goal scorer but no where near the 5+ mil he is getting paid.

Stafford has the total package, size, hands, shot, skating ability. His only question previously was work ethic and attitude.

Nighthawk
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Not saying anything about being God. Saying they need to keep him. We invested so much time and effort in development and half these idiots want to get rid of him for a pick or a minor league prospect so we can go through this whole thing over again.

We don't have the luxury of being able to see him put multiple seasons together as he is an UFA. IMO they need to keep him.

He's not a UFA...he's a RFA...

THATHURMANATOR
02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
i know

chernobylwraiths
02-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Pomminville was a product of post lockout hockey. He as a great shot and quickness but he is much too small to fight to the areas of the ice he needs to be to score. He can be a 20 goal scorer but no where near the 5+ mil he is getting paid.

Do you watch the games? I have never heard someone describe Pomminville this way before.

THATHURMANATOR
02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Do you watch the games? I have never heard someone describe Pomminville this way before.
Uh Yeah. It is the only way I have heard him described, starting when he was first a prospect.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/3127/sabres_report_jason_and_the_cataractes/

Still, Pominville appears to have the attributes necessary to one day be a scoring threat in the pros. He has good speed and a good touch, and he has a knack for finding (or creating) open spaces in which to operate. Jason is somewhat slightly built, so he may need to bulk up a little, but he should be able to withstand the rigors of the pro game.

How would you describe him? Tough lumbering player with a weak shot? What are you watching that I am not?

chernobylwraiths
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Uh Yeah. It is the only way I have heard him described, starting when he was first a prospect.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/3127/sabres_report_jason_and_the_cataractes/

How would you describe him? Tough lumbering player with a weak shot? What are you watching that I am not?

YOU said "great shot". Well, I don't like to throw superlatives around like you do, especially about a guy who can't seem to hit the net 90% of the time. So, when I hear or read "great shot" I'm thinking of a very good goal scorer. Stafford and Vanek have much more of a "great shot" than Pomminville. Also, as I read your description, I can't decide if you think he has "great" quickness as well since you said he has a great shot and quickness... Regardless if you think great or not, I don't see anything "quick" about Pomminville. I don't see fast, quick or anything else to do with speed. He might be able to keep up with regular NHL skaters, but he is far from anything else on this team when it comes to quickness IMO.

If I had to describe Pomminville, it would be as and average NHL player with decent hands and the ability to score some goals. Good penalty killer. Not a physical player at all and generally shies away from the physical game. Career second to third line player.

chernobylwraiths
02-10-2011, 01:48 PM

where in this description is "great shot"?

THATHURMANATOR
02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
How bout Hard Shot? You are such a grouch lately.

If he had such a weak shot why is he on the point on the PP when he gets PP time?

chernobylwraiths
02-10-2011, 02:53 PM
How bout Hard Shot? You are such a grouch lately.

If he had such a weak shot why is he on the point on the PP when he gets PP time?

Well, the Sabres kind of suck on the power play, so I don't know. Pomminville is more of a defensive forward, so maybe Lindy feels they don't lose a lot defensively (I believe he has even played defense in a pinch at times) while still having a forward back at the point.

THATHURMANATOR
02-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Well, the Sabres kind of suck on the power play, so I don't know. Pomminville is more of a defensive forward, so maybe Lindy feels they don't lose a lot defensively (I believe he has even played defense in a pinch at times) while still having a forward back at the point.
My God I do feel like we watch different games. IMO is purely an offensive player who doesn't score that often anymore. I don't recall him ever playing defense in the past. He gives a good effort most nights but for 5+ mil a year he should be so much better.

PTI
02-10-2011, 04:52 PM
All I know is the Sabres depend on Pommer and he is an important player on this team. We need him to score a bit more. I think he has a pretty hard shot too BTW.

Also I think Stafford has to stay.

THATHURMANATOR
02-10-2011, 05:40 PM
All I know is the Sabres depend on Pommer and he is an important player on this team. We need him to score a bit more. I think he has a pretty hard shot too BTW.

Also I think Stafford has to stay.
WHAT NOW CHER???

chernobylwraiths
02-11-2011, 05:45 AM
WHAT NOW CHER???

That guy lost any credibility with me when he said that Roy should be captain.

Mski
02-11-2011, 08:02 PM
i'm sure i'll get blasted for this, but i think Vanek should be the captain.

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2011, 08:43 PM
I could accet Vanek

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Well, at least his value has decreased. Maybe it won't cost as much to sign him.

THATHURMANATOR
04-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Well, at least his value has decreased. Maybe it won't cost as much to sign him.
I agree. I definitely would still keep him though.

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2011, 11:34 AM
I agree. I definitely would still keep him though.

Me too.

Michael82
04-25-2011, 03:01 PM
I would shop him around and hope someone offers a lot. I still think that he's too inconsistent and played better this year because it was his contract year.

trapezeus
04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
i'm not sure how the sabres get over the streakyness of their players. is this a mental factor that our scouts are missing, or is our coaching not good enough? I have no idea, but stafford is too streaky to command top dollar.

but hey, you put him with roy and they light it up tomorrow, our second line for next season is pretty much set. then it's a matter of giving vanek a number 1 center.

THATHURMANATOR
04-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Agreed but I don't believe there is much out there at center other than Richards who is probably going to the Rangers.

chernobylwraiths
01-18-2012, 12:45 PM
The Light has finally come on!!!! :bf1:

:rofl:

chernobylwraiths
01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Me too.

:ill:

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2012, 01:01 PM
YOU DICK!!!!!!!!!

I don't go on personal witch hunts tracking down all your dumb threads Al!!

OpIv37
01-18-2012, 01:09 PM
YOU DICK!!!!!!!!!

Calm down, Spiccoli.

He called himself out too.

SabreEleven
01-18-2012, 02:03 PM

Someone called it.

chernobylwraiths
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
YOU DICK!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Thurm. I just remembered a thread where someone said we should keep him. I know there were other threads too. Nothing personal man.

But I should go all OP on you though.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
HA Al you big jerk!!!!

Michael82
01-18-2012, 05:03 PM
I would shop him around and hope someone offers a lot. I still think that he's too inconsistent and played better this year because it was his contract year.
:couch: