PDA

View Full Version : Soliai To Test Market

Beebe's Kid
02-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Big Paul is going to try to cash in...I think it would be a good move. I am sure we can come up with a bunch of reasons he is no good and why the Bills shouldn't sign him...don't let me down.

Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4365/paul-soliai)

Luisito23
02-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Contract year breakout = NO thank you!

psubills62
02-10-2011, 09:10 AM
The fact that he's trying to cash in and only came on big in his contract year should tell you something. If he can play like that every year, he'd be worth some money, but as it is, his behavior is reminiscent of Haynesworth.

Beebe's Kid
02-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Contract year breakout = NO thank you!There you go!!! That's the spirit!!

tomz
02-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Breaking the spirit of not letting BK down, but still some delicious negativity...

Isn't this guy a young vet? Don't they most often start performing consistently well near the end of their first contract?

Oh yeah, I forgot that people that do not reach all-pro level within 3 weeks of the start of training camp are 'busts' in the world of this board!

justasportsfan
02-10-2011, 11:26 AM
There you go!!! That's the spirit!!
He's samoan, they don't do well in Buffalo weather.

tcb5033
02-10-2011, 11:50 AM
He's samoan, they don't do well in Buffalo weather.

They seem to do well in Pittsburgh weather (see Troy Polumolu)...not entirely different climates.

justasportsfan
02-10-2011, 12:04 PM
They seem to do well in Pittsburgh weather (see Troy Polumolu)...not entirely different climates.

it's colder in WNY

Beebe's Kid
02-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Breaking the spirit of not letting BK down, but still some delicious negativity...

Isn't this guy a young vet? Don't they most often start performing consistently well near the end of their first contract?

Oh yeah, I forgot that people that do not reach all-pro level within 3 weeks of the start of training camp are 'busts' in the world of this board!
Yes, he is 27. That is way past his prime, and the fact that he happened to finally get a shot in his contract year, there is no way he will be as good, and definitely never better.

Although, I do reserve the right to piss and moan if he does well somewhere else that we didn't sign him.

So many "experts" around here never put themselves out there. It is all negative, unless it's too late to get somebody. The only people we need to get "our" version of is guys in the middle of a contract.

I will say that this guy is going to be a really good player for a long time, and I would take a chance on a dude this big. I would see this as necessary if I was going to take a move to the 3-4 seriously, which we apparently are.

Sometimes you have to take some chances, and this is a chance I would take. Maybe we could sign him to a series of 1 year contracts and that way he would always be in a "contract year."

:brilliant::darth:
:brilliant:

Mad Max
02-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Where's Dellappelle? He was nuthugging Soliai for quite a while.

This was one of the rare occasions that I agreed with "I'm not Mitchell55", I like the idea of bringing in Soliai for multiple reasons:

-it helps strengthen one of our weaknesses
-it allows us to not have to spend a draft pick on a NT allowing us to concentrate on edge rushers
-it gives us the flexibility to move down a little in the draft (if possible) and still get a good edge rusher.
-it weakens the dolphags
-it brings us a bona fide Sa.Mo.An. Most winners in the NFL have a stud Samoan (Green Bay is the exception to the rule, although rumor has it that Clay Matthews is half Samoan/half Caveman.

Thief
02-10-2011, 05:19 PM
This would be a A+ move for the Bills, IMO. It would probably help our D more than any other possible off season move. In fact, I may go door to door and high-five random neighbors if I didn't have company when/if I heard it got done.

better days
02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
If the Bills could get Soliai,great. The problem is he really wants to stay in Miami & they will most likely keep him. I think a team will have to overpay to get him like the Bills did with Dockery & the results may also be the same.

more cowbell
02-10-2011, 06:48 PM
This guy was IMPOSSIBLE to move in the middle this season. I actually remember Chan Gailey talking about him a few times this season on how he is an elite nose tackle.

Still don't see us throwing a bunch of cash at him though...this team is going to be built through the draft.

YardRat
02-10-2011, 08:11 PM
We don't have a snowball's chance in hell of bringing in Harris or Woodley for the LBer corps, so I'd be good at throwing money at Soliai to try to solidify the NT spot.

I'm willing to risk it.

Ed
02-10-2011, 08:19 PM

This was one of the rare occasions that I agreed with "I'm not Mitchell55", I like the idea of bringing in Soliai for multiple reasons:

-it allows us to not have to spend a draft pick on a NT allowing us to concentrate on edge rushers
-it gives us the flexibility to move down a little in the draft (if possible) and still get a good edge rusher.
-it weakens the dolphags
-it brings us a bona fide Sa.Mo.An. Most winners in the NFL have a stud Samoan (Green Bay is the exception to the rule, although rumor has it that Clay Matthews is half Samoan/half Caveman.
Without a new CBA there won't be any free agency before the draft, so as of right now your second and third points aren't applicable. The draft will most likely be before free agency this year.

Night Train
02-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Like many have already stated, I think FA is a moot point this year.

It's the draft and that's it.

Beebe's Kid
02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
For what it's worth....The Great Gazoo thinks that the labor dispute will be done by mid March, avoiding a lockout, and allowing FA to start then.

The Bills have never been scared to spend money, as has been beat to death. They just spend the wrong money. Good news is, the majority of that "wrong" money is off of the books, and depending where the salary cap is set, we should be way under.

You want to run a 3-4? You need a NT. You need one that can play...this dude can play. You want to play, you have to pay. We are going to have to pony up, and this is a position worth ponying up at.

Bill Cody
02-11-2011, 10:57 AM
We are going to have to pony up, and this is a position worth ponying up at.

I agree but it's not our ponies

Beebe's Kid
02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I agree but it's not our ponies

I am just saying what I would do, for conversations sake. I agree that they are Ralph's ponies, and he is free to do what he would like. I say this understanding that when I forked over my ponies to see the product of Ralph's ponies, or to buy merchandise officially licensed by Ralph's ponies, that I did so knowing full well that my ponies had become his ponies and that I no longer had any say in what happened to my ponies.

I reserve the right to hope my little ponies were put to good use.

psubills62
02-11-2011, 12:27 PM
The fact that he's trying to cash in and only came on big in his contract year should tell you something. If he can play like that every year, he'd be worth some money, but as it is, his behavior is reminiscent of Haynesworth.

Haha negged for the Haynesworth comment? Why don't you sign it, coward?

I don't think it's unreasonable to compare two guys who pulled out all the stops in their contract years to cash in big on the market. Nobody's wondering why the Dolphins aren't placing the franchise tag on this dude? Neg me all you want, there's plenty of reason to doubt someone who has all but said he's just looking for a big payday.

Beebe's Kid
02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Haha negged for the Haynesworth comment? Why don't you sign it, coward?

I don't think it's unreasonable to compare two guys who pulled out all the stops in their contract years to cash in big on the market. Nobody's wondering why the Dolphins aren't placing the franchise tag on this dude? Neg me all you want, there's plenty of reason to doubt someone who has all but said he's just looking for a big payday.

What are you talking about?

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2011, 03:51 PM
it's colder in WNY
Barely. It is cold as hell in Da burgh.

psubills62
02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
What are you talking about?

I received this neg rep on that post:

"that haynesworth comment is just ******ed...seriously...idiot"

I would guess that "idiot" was the signature on it, but I'm not sure how much that narrows it down.

BTW, thanks for the pos rep, better days!

Beebe's Kid
02-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I received this neg rep on that post:

"that haynesworth comment is just ******ed...seriously...idiot"

I would guess that "idiot" was the signature on it, but I'm not sure how much that narrows it down.

BTW, thanks for the pos rep, better days!

Wow...this is how good conversations go bad :posrep: Well I'll give you a little love. Always a solid contributor.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-11-2011, 10:14 PM
:surf:

-it weakens the dolphags

Beebe's Kid
02-11-2011, 10:16 PM
:surf:

Mitch Cumstein, my college roommate.

Night putting...just putting...at night...with the 15 year old daughter of the Dean.

About time you showed up...what do you think about this tub of **** from the fish?

John Doe
02-12-2011, 04:02 PM
No doubt that Soliai is a very good nose tackle.

We already have one that is just as good in Williams although a somewhat different kind of player. We also have a developing NT in Troup who should be capable of seeing more time on the field next season.

Soliai will command high $ that could be better spent on other positions.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Mitch Cumstein, my college roommate.

Night putting...just putting...at night...with the 15 year old daughter of the Dean.

About time you showed up...what do you think about this tub of **** from the fish?

I think kyle williams is actually better and troup will be really good next year. if we do pick up soliai, it would be as a de.. like how the ravens use ngata...

Beebe's Kid
02-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I think kyle williams is actually better and troup will be really good next year. if we do pick up soliai, it would be as a de.. like how the ravens use ngata...

I guess that I would consider Williams at DE. I like Troup, and would like to see him get some more PT...Is Soliai a 3 down NT?

NOT THE DUDE...
02-12-2011, 09:09 PM
I guess that I would consider Williams at DE. I like Troup, and would like to see him get some more PT...Is Soliai a 3 down NT?

yes. he also doesnt take plays off... hes probably better than wilfork imo...

Beebe's Kid
02-14-2011, 05:41 PM
yes. he also doesnt take plays off... hes probably better than wilfork imo...
So...a truly bona fide 3-4 NT, who is unmovable against the run, shone in his first chance to play, plays 3 downs, and doesn't take plays off? I like Kyle as much as the next guy, but if we ever want to win meaningful games...we could upgrade anywhere announcers is available.

bigbry
02-14-2011, 11:12 PM
This guy was IMPOSSIBLE to move in the middle this season. I actually remember Chan Gailey talking about him a few times this season on how he is an elite nose tackle.

Still don't see us throwing a bunch of cash at him though...this team is going to be built through the draft.

Funny, that's exactly what I imagine Ralph to say.

And that's exactly the reason the Bills never win it all.

Beebe's Kid
02-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Funny, that's exactly what I imagine Ralph to say.

And that's exactly the reason the Bills never win it all.

Awesome take, dude! Very insightful...and although it just sounds like the same old regurgitated ****...well, because it is, it is somehow fresh coming from you.

What the Bills need to do is what Miami is doing, seeing as they are right there every year, and are proving to have the true secret to success.

bigbry
02-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Awesome take, dude! Very insightful...and although it just sounds like the same old regurgitated ****...well, because it is, it is somehow fresh coming from you.

What the Bills need to do is what Miami is doing, seeing as they are right there every year, and are proving to have the true secret to success.

Alright then defend what the Bills are doing to actually win a Super Bowl.

Give me the examples and prove once and for all the Bills are doing exactly what it takes.

Mostly my post angered you because you know damnwell its true.

Bill Cody
02-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Give me the examples and prove once and for all the Bills are doing exactly what it takes.

Apparently you didn't hear about our new unis.

Beebe's Kid
02-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Your post didn't really anger me at all. It would have angered me, possibly, if the Fish were on the rise and I didn't feel we were.

Giving you examples is a waste of time. Leaving little snide remarks about how your team sucks is more your style, so we'll just keep it at that.

As for the me knowing "damnwell," I'm a homer....I always think we're moving in the right direction....although something feels different about this time, and I actually believe it.

I will not be as optimistic if we get all high on ourselves and come and lay an egg like you Fishies did. That would be hard to take...talking so loud, then just sucking ass. One think I wouldn't do is go to a Dolphins board and be a **********, but that is just me, and it seems to bee working well for you though.

bigbry
02-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Your post didn't really anger me at all. It would have angered me, possibly, if the Fish were on the rise and I didn't feel we were.

Giving you examples is a waste of time. Leaving little snide remarks about how your team sucks is more your style, so we'll just keep it at that.

As for the me knowing "damnwell," I'm a homer....I always think we're moving in the right direction....although something feels different about this time, and I actually believe it.

I will not be as optimistic if we get all high on ourselves and come and lay an egg like you Fishies did. That would be hard to take...talking so loud, then just sucking ass. One think I wouldn't do is go to a Dolphins board and be a **********, but that is just me, and it seems to bee working well for you though.

I asked a specific question of you about the Bills, not the Dolphins.

So all your alliteration is really due to your inability to come up with a concise answer.

My stance is clear, the Bills refuse to pay for talent resulting in failure to win it all.

Your stance is to put the "fishes" down in order for you to feel good about the Bills.

Then you comment about me personally. Just answer the question, once and for all.

better days
02-15-2011, 05:47 PM

So all your alliteration is really due to your inability to come up with a concise answer.

My stance is clear, the Bills refuse to pay for talent resulting in failure to win it all.

Your stance is to put the "fishes" down in order for you to feel good about the Bills.

Then you comment about me personally. Just answer the question, once and for all.

The Bills are always around the middle of the league in payroll. It is not that they won't pay, it is that they have paid the wrong guys for the last decade.

Now can you tell us why the Fins are so CRAPTACULAR? Even Jimmy Johnson couldn't do CRAP with that team.

Beebe's Kid
02-15-2011, 09:49 PM

Then you comment about me personally. Just answer the question, once and for all.Putting down the fishes to feel good about my Bills? Could you imagine if I really had a hard on for that kind of thing? I could go to a Dolphins board and just antagonize and then when somebody called me on the carpet, I could just say we were discussing my team.

I have plenty of takes on the Bills, which I discuss constantly with my fellow Bills fans. I have seen you posts, and unless I am missing the hidden thread, I have never seen anything constructed out of you contributed to a conversation. So, I can't really see any reason to try and discuss the Bills for you to lay out some "Ralph is cheap, you suck" **** out of be side of your face.

You providing the argument that Ralph is cheap shows we are not talking about reality, but rather your distorted perception of it.

bigbry
02-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Putting down the fishes to feel good about my Bills? Could you imagine if I really had a hard on for that kind of thing? I could go to a Dolphins board and just antagonize and then when somebody called me on the carpet, I could just say we were discussing my team.

I have plenty of takes on the Bills, which I discuss constantly with my fellow Bills fans. I have seen you posts, and unless I am missing the hidden thread, I have never seen anything constructed out of you contributed to a conversation. So, I can't really see any reason to try and discuss the Bills for you to lay out some "Ralph is cheap, you suck" **** out of be side of your face.

You providing the argument that Ralph is cheap shows we are not talking about reality, but rather your distorted perception of it.

Still no proof to what the Bills are doing to win a Super Bowl.

For some reason you still want to go personal, which deflects the facts and allows you to squirm out of answering.

So that really in itself answers the question.

justasportsfan
02-16-2011, 01:19 PM

the top teams have basically built through the draft. See Pitts,Pats and Colts. While the bills may not yield the same result ,it's the same path.

Bill Cody
02-16-2011, 01:26 PM

For some reason you still want to go personal, which deflects the facts and allows you to squirm out of answering.

I like to run and I do the best I can. But try as I may I'm no threat to make the Olympic team. Incompetance does not equal lack of trying and the Bills have been incompetant for a long time.

But we cannot fairly judge the current Bills GM and coach yet. They get time to show what they can do. If Nix fills some of the many holes we have through the draft and then we fail to try to fill the rest through FA then you may have a point. Until then though you're just a scaly fish trying to stir things up. Dismissed.

better days
02-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Why don't you answer the question I asked you about the Fins? I gave you an answer to your question about the Bills.

bigbry
02-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I like to run and I do the best I can. But try as I may I'm no threat to make the Olympic team. Incompetance does not equal lack of trying and the Bills have been incompetant for a long time.

But we cannot fairly judge the current Bills GM and coach yet. They get time to show what they can do. If Nix fills some of the many holes we have through the draft and then we fail to try to fill the rest through FA then you may have a point. Until then though you're just a scaly fish trying to stir things up. Dismissed.

That is a very good point. And then it might be a few years before anyone could judge their choices.

How they play the draft might very well foretell the future as well.

bigbry
02-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Why don't you answer the question I asked you about the Fins? I gave you an answer to your question about the Bills.

The owner of the Dolphins cant even fire a coach right. What does that tell you?

We also have some coaching changes, namely our OC. But that guy is gonna be required to get things moving and I mean fast or he and Sporano will be out. And maybe before the end of the season.

Personally, in comparison to what I as a fan have seen and had become accustomed to....meh...dump most of them.

The Parcells experiment is in total fail mode. This will be hard to get out of. But they better do it fast or the "game/entertainment day" experience the owner wants to promote will fall flat. You have to have butts in the seats to make that work. You have to sell tickets and everything that comes with it.

But, the owner is trying. And given his success in other business's I'm certain he will give it his all. Something I simply do not see in Buffalo.

Yes we Dolphin fans rag on Ralph but its justified and proven.

BertSquirtgum
02-16-2011, 10:36 PM
There you go!!! That's the spirit!!

he's 100% correct. i want someone that's going to give 200% effort 100% of the time they are playing.

HAMMER
02-17-2011, 03:59 PM
he's 100% correct. i want someone that's going to give 200% effort 100% of the time they are playing.
Lots of percentages, but as most know, you can't give more than 100%, impossible.

BertSquirtgum
02-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Lots of percentages, but as most know, you can't give more than 100%, impossible.

you can try.

better days
02-18-2011, 12:07 AM
The owner of the Dolphins cant even fire a coach right. What does that tell you?

We also have some coaching changes, namely our OC. But that guy is gonna be required to get things moving and I mean fast or he and Sporano will be out. And maybe before the end of the season.

Personally, in comparison to what I as a fan have seen and had become accustomed to....meh...dump most of them.

The Parcells experiment is in total fail mode. This will be hard to get out of. But they better do it fast or the "game/entertainment day" experience the owner wants to promote will fall flat. You have to have butts in the seats to make that work. You have to sell tickets and everything that comes with it.

But, the owner is trying. And given his success in other business's I'm certain he will give it his all. Something I simply do not see in Buffalo.

Yeah well, Pot/Kettle, Glass Houses & rocks & such. The Fins havn't had a good owner since Robbie.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-18-2011, 12:44 AM

I would not say parcells failed... he failed in not taking matt ryan, but he has built a really solid oline, and a very good defense. basically a competitive team... if you guys can get kyle orton and draft mark ingram along with a speed demon wr... things might be a lot different

better days
02-18-2011, 07:17 AM
I would not say parcells failed... he failed in not taking matt ryan, but he has built a really solid oline, and a very good defense. basically a competitive team... if you guys can get kyle orton and draft mark ingram along with a speed demon wr... things might be a lot different

Parcelles FAILED in Miami. I guarantee you things would be a lot different in Miami if Parcells had drafted Ryan insted of long. Thank God he didn't. Miami hasn't had a franchise QB since Marino retired & Parcells had the chance to get one & didn't FAIL.

Kyle Orton will never be considered a franchise QB.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Parcelles FAILED in Miami. I guarantee you things would be a lot different in Miami if Parcells had drafted Ryan insted of long. Thank God he didn't. Miami hasn't had a franchise QB since Marino retired & Parcells had the chance to get one & didn't FAIL.

Kyle Orton will never be considered a franchise QB.

if kyle orton mark ingram and a speed wr is on miami this year they will be very tough to beat

parcells did not fail, miami is closer than most teams...

Luisito23
02-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Parcells failed and Orton sucks!

YardRat
02-19-2011, 07:42 AM
I can see Fischer in Miami in '12.

SABURZFAN
02-19-2011, 10:53 AM
i think Soliai would be a solid pickup in the FA. let's face it, the Bills need to stop the run. he's not old for a DL and he seems to be getting better every year.

better days
02-20-2011, 08:19 AM
if kyle orton mark ingram and a speed wr is on miami this year they will be very tough to beat

parcells did not fail, miami is closer than most teams...

Parcells could have drafted a franchise QB in Matt Ryan. He FAILED to do so & now only God knows how long it will be before Miami has another shot at their getting their franchise QB.

Are you saying Kyle Orton, Mark Ingram & any WR you want to name will make Miami better than the Jets or the Pats*? If so, you are CRAZY.

Not only did Parcells blow the draft for Miami but he hired a CRAPPY HC as well, so the Fins need a Franchise QB & a HC. That looks like failure by Parcells to me.

justasportsfan
02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Parcells could have drafted a franchise QB in Matt Ryan..

I agree. Taking long over Ryan didn't win the fins games. This is why I think it's important we find a franchise qb. While I would love to solidify our DL with a probowl DT , the Pats would be nothing without Brady even if they still had Wilfork or the fins not winning more games with Soliai because they dont have a qb.

Man in the middle: Dolphins, Soliai's agent talking extension

he agent for Dolphins free-agent nose tackle Paul Soliai told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel on Tuesday that he and Miami are engaged in active discussions about a new contract, but he predicts the fourth-year pro will hit the open market.

So the Dolphins are weighing whether or not to place a franchise tag on the 6-foot-4, 355-pound Soliai that would place his salary at the average of the top five defensive tackles, which is expected to be $12.5 million. That would be a 25-fold increase over Soliai's $467,000 salary in 2010, when the nose tackle emerged as a run-stopper after three disappointing seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e6fe3d/article/man-in-the-middle-dolphins-soliais-agent-talking-extension?module=HP_headlines

X-Era
02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Just tagged per Shefter:

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/40890205774815232

Tag: Dolphins put their franchise tag on DT Paul Soliai.