PDA

View Full Version : Spiller in year two

Whysoserious?
02-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Being dinged up at times, his rookie year was less than stellar. I am really hoping he has a big year as our number two back. He has great big play ability.

k-oneputt
02-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Maybe if they let him touch the ball more then 5-6 times a game he can show us something.

Pinkerton Security
02-10-2011, 09:40 AM
I did want to see him get more touches, but I think after an off-season working with Freddie and our coaches, he will be that much better and fresher next year.

better days
02-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I would like to see him used more in passing downfield as they did the last few games.

Beebe's Kid
02-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Uh oh...be ready for the "Spiller can't be a RB in the NFL" gang.

I think that the leash on rookies is extremely short with Chan. Look at our rookies...none of them saw extended PT. While many will get all puffed out in the chest and yell that a high pick should start day 1, evidence would suggest that Chan and Nix feel differently.

I am of the opinion that many "busts" are players that were thrown to the wolves too soon, and I am guessing Chan feels the same. Would I have liked for Spiller to run for 1900 yds? Sure, but when it became apparent that there was going to be some adjusting, Chan pulled way back on him.

I would expect to see a lot more of last years draft class this season. I think it will be a patient approach, which is not good for the fans than need instant gratification, but it will be good for the team.

OpIv37
02-10-2011, 09:45 AM
I was very disappointed in Spiller. RB is probably the easiest position in terms of rookie transition from college to pro, and RB's have a notoriously short shelf life.

In addition, we took him when we still had Lynch. If we are going to use the #10 overall pick on BPA instead of a position of need when we're coming off a 6-10 season, that BPA better be the best. Spiller wasn't.

And I know he wasn't given a lot of touches, but I also suspect that he didn't earn the touches. He didn't look great in the opportunities he was given.

better days
02-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I was very disappointed in Spiller. RB is probably the easiest position in terms of rookie transition from college to pro, and RB's have a notoriously short shelf life.

In addition, we took him when we still had Lynch. If we are going to use the #10 overall pick on BPA instead of a position of need when we're coming off a 6-10 season, that BPA better be the best. Spiller wasn't.

And I know he wasn't given a lot of touches, but I also suspect that he didn't earn the touches. He didn't look great in the opportunities he was given.

He looked great at times, but was too inconsistant. The OL may have played a part in that.

Pinkerton Security
02-10-2011, 10:08 AM

I honestly was too...yes he has great burst at times but he is not nearly as shifty as I thought he was going to be, he doesnt seem to have great lateral agility like I expected...no real sick cuts like i was looking for. I still think he could be a star with his natural speed but he definitely needs to learn how to utilize his blockers because its pretty obvious at this point he just ran by people in college, and thats not going to happen often in the NFL, players are just too fast and smart.

OpIv37
02-10-2011, 10:13 AM
He looked great at times, but was too inconsistant. The OL may have played a part in that.

That drives me nuts. Both the Bills and Sabres are full of guys who show flashes of brilliance then disappear for weeks at a time. Both teams would be better off if these guys could just play to their potential consistently.

stuckincincy
02-10-2011, 11:01 AM

The Spiller drafting was old hat - a ploy used by this or that franchise to pump up sales. Fans are charmed by a "spiffy" RB pick.

Like you say, Lynch was in the fold. Before ML, WMG was in the fold.

Here in CIN, they drafted at #1, Curtis Perry with a serviceable Rudi Johnson. Then spent a #2 on Kenny Irons, who like Ki-Jana Carter, was terribly injured in his 1st game.

Perry had talent, but was chronically injured. Bust.

Carter would have been a big noise. Nice hands, fine blocker, had a nose for the EZ - anybody remember Rosie Leaks?

CIN moved up and passed on OT Tony Boselli to pluck Carter, IIRC...

DraftBoy
02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Id expect 12-15 carries a game this year, maybe as high as 20 towards the end of the year. They showed last year they are in absolutely no hurry with him and they are going to use Fred Jackson as the main back.

ChristopherWalken
02-10-2011, 11:06 AM
The thing I found most disappointing about Spiller was his ability (or lack thereof) in breaking tackles. Seemed like he was dropping pretty quick on some light hits.

I was expecting a guy that could bounce outside shed a tackle or two and pick up that extra 2-3 yards that Lynch and Freddy couldn't get hammering up the middle.

What we got was a guy that would drop as soon as the first player touched him. That concerns me becasue you can't teach power running.

sqad5
02-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Maybe if they let him touch the ball more then 5-6 times a game he can show us something.Yes Thank you i totally ****ing agree

jamze132
02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
I think that he has to learn to effectively block if he wants to get more touches.

justasportsfan
02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
RB is probably the easiest position in terms of rookie transition from college to pro, and RB's have a notoriously short shelf life.

the difference between Spiller and most rookie qb's is that instead of Spiller having concentrate on learning how to run the ball only at this level he also had to learn how to return kicks and catch the ball. Blocking was also something he has had to learn since he didn't do it in college.

In other words he was drafted to be a multi purpose back that he ended up with too much on his plate.

Figster
02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
That drives me nuts. Both the Bills and Sabres are full of guys who show flashes of brilliance then disappear for weeks at a time. Both teams would be better off if these guys could just play to their potential consistently.

Vaneks vanishing act does get old, but how about them Sabres OpIv37, their gritty play as of late almost has the Buffalo Sabres sneaking back into playoff contention.

HAMMER
02-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Vaneks vanishing act does get old, but how about them Sabres OpIv37, their gritty play as of late almost has the Buffalo Sabres sneaking back into playoff contention.

He'll find something to complain about.

TacklingDummy
02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Should have drafted Bulaga. Already had Jackson and Lynch on the roster. Stupid pick.

OpIv37
02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
They have upped their game as of late, but if the playoffs started today, they'd still be out.

I'm torn on this one because I really think this incarnation of the team can't win and Pegula needs to make wholesale changes. If they make the playoffs, that might happen. At the same time, I cant root for them to lose when they are only 4 pts out of the playoffs with ~30 games left. As we saw with Phlly and Montreal last year and the Sabres right after the lockout, once a team is in, anything can happen.

Night Train
02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
I think that he has to learn to effectively block if he wants to get more touches.
Right here.

Fred Jackson made the first block in his life 2 years ago. Eventually, that justified more touches and gave the Bills some space to send away Lynch and all his baggage. I see Spiller improving in this area. His work ethic is reportedly top shelf.

Ingtar33
02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Being dinged up at times, his rookie year was less than stellar. I am really hoping he has a big year as our number two back. He has great big play ability.

maybe if he stopped fumbling the ball every other time he touched it he'd be given more chances.

that is a problem that needs to be fixed fast before i start to complain about him not getting a lot of touches

k-oneputt
02-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Well if he can't hang onto the ball, can't pass block, can't read his blocks, then why the hell did they use the 9th pick on him ?

I know, because it's the buffalo bills and they have proven that they don't know what they are doing.

Mr. Pink
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Well if he can't hang onto the ball, can't pass block, can't read his blocks, then why the hell did they use the 9th pick on him ?

I know, because it's the buffalo bills and they have proven that they don't know what they are doing.

To answer your question, so they could sell tickets and sell some merchandise. Buluga certainly wouldn't do either of those but a flashy RB pick will.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone is surprised he didn't get more touches than he did during his rookie campaign. He can't block, he has hands of stone apparently and he hasn't figured out that his speed that allowed him to cut everything outside doesn't work at the NFL level. Not too mention the fact that he's not the top of back who touches the ball 20+ times a game.

He had 7 touches on average per game...I doubt he'll ever see double that at the NFL level.

dannyek71
02-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Aaron Maybin would be a great player if he got onto the field as well.

Until he shows otherwise, Spiller is a bust.

For everyone making excuses like he didnt touch the ball enough, didn't get this, didn't get that etc...... These are the same types of excuses used for Maybin, Losman, Brohm, Edwards etc... over the years. Good players get on the field and make plays when they are there.

He was a luxury pick for a team that couldn't afford one.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Aaron Maybin would be a great player if he got onto the field as well.

Until he shows otherwise, Spiller is a bust.

For everyone making excuses like he didnt touch the ball enough, didn't get this, didn't get that etc...... These are the same types of excuses used for Maybin, Losman, Brohm, Edwards etc... over the years. Good players get on the field and make plays when they are there.

He was a luxury pick for a team that couldn't afford one.

who would you have taken?

YardRat
02-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I would expect Spiller to improve his production this season...also, it takes time to pick up the intricacies of blocking and the passing game at this level. The fumbling is an issue that he needs to correct, and I don't see him ever having any kind of tackle-breaking/power capabilities.

I'm pretty confident that he'll get better, but as was pointed out last year when he was drafted, anybody looking for this guy to become 'the man' and carry the bulk of the load should temper their expectations.

dannyek71
02-13-2011, 09:58 AM
who would you have taken?

Bulaga, Davis, or pretty much anyone else.

justasportsfan
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Bulaga, Davis, or pretty much anyone else.
Davis blows. He was the worst

baalworship
02-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Spiller did have a disappointing rookie year but he did show flashes. He is one of the players we need to make a big improvement this year and I actually think the Spiller is a bust crowd is going to look foolish.