PDA

View Full Version : Wes Bunting's First Mock

kingJofNYC
02-10-2011, 10:33 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Mock-Draft-10.html

Has us taking Newton at 3.

ddaryl
02-10-2011, 10:35 AM
I think of all our possible picks at #3. Newton is the one I fear the most.

HOWEVER; We know one thing. Nix does not draft 1 year wonders... I serioulsy doubt he breaks that rule.

Bangarang
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I think of all our possible picks at #3. Newton is the one I fear the most.

HOWEVER; We know one thing. Nix does not draft 1 year wonders... I serioulsy doubt he breaks that rule.

Marcus Easley was essentially a one year wonder. However, he was a 4th rounder and couldn't really compare to if we drafted a one year wonder at 3rd overall.

ddaryl
02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Marcus Easley was essentially a one year wonder. However, he was a 4th rounder and couldn't really compare to if we drafted a one year wonder at 3rd overall.
I agree.. big difference taking a chance at #3 overall compare to a 4th round selection

I always thought Nix was regarding the drafting of one year wonders to the those at the top of the draft.

Beebe's Kid
02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Marcus Easley was essentially a one year wonder. However, he was a 4th rounder and couldn't really compare to if we drafted a one year wonder at 3rd overall.I think this every time I see that Nix won't draft a one year wonder. Easley is exactly that.

I agree that the 4th round is different than #3.

I do not think that Buddy would rule out drafting Newton because of the one year thing. I think if Buddy was impressed enough with Newton he would take him. After saying that I don't think he will take him. Not that he wouldn't, I just don't think he will.

I know that avid Newton fanboys do not like "the rule," which seems to be a good gauge...not 100% (breathe) but pretty damn accurate.

I think that there is a lot of red flags around Newton, and I feel that there will be more raised in the way he handles himself in the months leading up to the draft.

Lone Stranger
02-10-2011, 11:00 AM
UGH!!! This is not the time to gamble.

kingJofNYC
02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I think strong consideration will be given to Miller as well. FO could go in so many directions.

One thing that drives me nuts about Newton is his father, for a pastor he sure likes to get his nose dirty. They won't touch the guy with his father pulling the strings, guy is all about the money.

Night Train
02-10-2011, 11:05 AM
He won the Junior College Championship the year before, then moves up to Auburn and wins the NCAA Championship. Not so sure about the "1 year wonder" tag. Maybin..he is not.

I'm on record as wanting a DL first in this draft... but even I can see the Bills considering him. 30 passing TD's, 20 rushing TD's, 1 receiving TD. That was a top 5 season in college history and he's twice the talent Tebow ever was. I've never seen a College QB who could throw better on the run in my life. His accuracy on those throws was 2nd to none. Freakish athletic size and results. Poise like few ever had.

I may not agree with it... but I could understand the attraction. It's a gamble they may be willing to take, since Gailey gets the most out of QB's and can really coach them up. If Gailey feels he's got something to work with, look out. Nix/Whaley will defer to him.

But then they'd really have to nail those middle round picks to improve the run D. We'll see. It's all just talk now.

DraftBoy
02-10-2011, 11:07 AM
He won the Junior College Championship the year before, then moves up to Auburn and wins the NCAA Championship. Not so sure about the "1 year wonder" tag. Maybin..he is not.
I'm on record as wanting a DL first in this draft... but even I can see the Bills considering him. 30 passing TD's, 20 rushing TD's, 1 receiving TD. That was a top 5 season in college history and he's twice the talent Tebow ever was. I've never seen a College QB who could throw better on the run in my life. His accuracy on those throws was 2nd to none. Freakish athletic size and results. Poise like few ever had.

I may not agree with it... but I could understand the attraction. It's a gamble they may be willing to take, since Gailey gets the most out of QB's and can really coach them up. If Gailey feels he's got something to work with, look out. Nix/Whaley will defer to him.

But then they'd really have to nail those middle round picks to improve the run D. We'll see. It's all just talk now.

I dont know why people don't get that. Just because its NJCAA doesnt mean it doesnt count.

kingJofNYC
02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
A certain TE from ND fell into the second, hmmm. Pats already have a ton of TEs, would be all over Rudolph in the 2nd.

trapezeus
02-10-2011, 11:59 AM
i was very close to winning a championship in my adult rec league as well. Junior league championship with his talent is obviously going to happen.

talent needs to be mixed with work ethic. Work ethic is based on cheating at school, taking money in shady deals (whether known or unknown to cam). i think whatever buddy and nix decide on their 1-1's will be the deciding factor. he's got the talent, but you have to guage him as a human. and he knows from his agent and the handlerse how to answer typical questions on this.

I think it has bust written all over it if they take him, but if they do, i'll get on board like i always am forced to do.

DraftBoy
02-10-2011, 12:01 PM
i was very close to winning a championship in my adult rec league as well. Junior league championship with his talent is obviously going to happen.

talent needs to be mixed with work ethic. Work ethic is based on cheating at school, taking money in shady deals (whether known or unknown to cam). i think whatever buddy and nix decide on their 1-1's will be the deciding factor. he's got the talent, but you have to guage him as a human. and he knows from his agent and the handlerse how to answer typical questions on this.

I think it has bust written all over it if they take him, but if they do, i'll get on board like i always am forced to do.

Junior College, not junior league, and the JUCO ranks are where players like Terrance Cody, Nick Fairley, and other dominant players all play. You're not being fair at all comparing it some adult rec league.

kingJofNYC
02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
A certain Superbowl MVP was a JUCO QB.

Bangarang
02-10-2011, 12:24 PM
A certain Superbowl MVP was a JUCO QB.

Just saying but Newton has a better completion %, and is responsible for as many touchdowns in his 1 year at Auburn than Rodgers is for his 2 years at Cal. Newton also has a higher QB rating.

What's also interesting is that in his final year at Cal, Rodgers only had 316 pass attempts for 2566 yards passing (his previous year he only had 2903 yards passing), and only threw 24 td's.

Compare that to Newton's season at Aurburn where he had 280 pass attempts for 2854 yards and 30 passing td's. People like to say that Newton didn't throw the ball that much while at Auburn. When Rodgers only threw 36 more times in his final college season than Newton. And Rodgers wasn't as big of a running threat as Newton was.

Just saying.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I have no problem with this, he is everything Chan wants in a qb. If he checks out mentaly then hell yes. Is he a big gamble, YES but I'm done playing it safe. If we want to finally win a superbowl we need to go balls to the wall.

DrGraves
02-10-2011, 12:31 PM
newton or the lsu CB will be a disaster. while i think the cb is good, he doesn't help our team win more games over the next few years without addressing QB, DL. Addressing QB (not newton) and DL makes us win more games.

better days
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
I agree.. big difference taking a chance at #3 overall compare to a 4th round selection

I always thought Nix was regarding the drafting of one year wonders to the those at the top of the draft.

Yeah Nix said he was fine taking a chance on those type of players AFTER the 1st rnd.

cgbm
02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Mock-Draft-10.html

Has us taking Newton at 3.

I LOVE IT

better days
02-10-2011, 03:06 PM
I dont know why people don't get that. Just because its NJCAA doesnt mean it doesnt count.

Well, it doesn't count for much!! The vast majority of players in that league are 17 -19 years old. It is much closer to H.S. level than even DII college.

Beebe's Kid
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Wes Bunting is a great ****ing name by the way.

DraftBoy
02-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, it doesn't count for much!! The vast majority of players in that league are 17 -19 years old. It is much closer to H.S. level than even DII college.

We'll have to agree to disagree, there are plenty of kids who will never make it but there are usually 200+ who get DI-FBS scholarships annually, and he beat the best of the best on his way to the NJCAA title.

PTI
02-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I would be pretty excited if Newton were the choice and would have my brand new Newton jersey on order within 5 minutes of the choice.

TigerJ
02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't rule out a QB at #3 overall, though it would not be my first choice. If it is a QB, it has to be either Gabbert or Newton. Mallet and Locker are out of the conversation at this point IMO.

X-Era
02-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I dont know why people don't get that. Just because its NJCAA doesnt mean it doesnt count.Totally agree.

better days
02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree, there are plenty of kids who will never make it but there are usually 200+ who get DI-FBS scholarships annually, and he beat the best of the best on his way to the NJCAA title.

The point is he was older than they are even if they have talent. It is like a H.S. senior playing freshmen or sophomores. Newton was a man among boys while at Blinn. You may as well go back & judge him based on his Sr. year of H.S. at least the competition was more even there.

DraftBoy
02-10-2011, 08:53 PM
The point is he was older than they are even if they have talent. It is like a H.S. senior playing freshmen or sophomores. Newton was a man among boys while at Blinn. You may as well go back & judge him based on his Sr. year of H.S. at least the competition was more even there.

No he wasn't...he looked like a man amongst boys because he was that much better than everybody. Kinda like how he made most SEC defenses look this season.

I watched Newton in HS as well, he was just down the interstate in College Park.

Ed
02-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I think the main point and the most important point is that he's been dominant and successful at every level he's played at. We're not talking about a guy that's only had success as a "man amongst boys" in junior college. We're talking about a guy that in the following year also dominated the SEC, won the heisman, and won a national title.

better days
02-11-2011, 07:14 AM
No he wasn't...he looked like a man amongst boys because he was that much better than everybody. Kinda like how he made most SEC defenses look this season.

I watched Newton in HS as well, he was just down the interstate in College Park.

Yes he was older than most in Jr. College. He spent a year after H.S. at Fla, the vast majority of kids that go to Jr. go straight from H.S. & many are only 17 at that time. His 2nd year at Blinn he was 20 years old playing against many 17 & 18 year old kids.

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Yes he was older than most in Jr. College. He spent a year after H.S. at Fla, the vast majority of kids that go to Jr. go straight from H.S. & many are only 17 at that time. His 2nd year at Blinn he was 20 years old playing against many 17 & 18 year old kids.

No they aren't. I think you're math is just way off, because I can think of not one 17 yr old Sophomore at any level of college football and Id love for you to find one. Cam Newton was a Sophomore at Blinn, just like him I was also 20 my Sophomore year so this idea that he was so much older than everybody else is both outlandish and completely made up.

better days
02-11-2011, 08:00 AM
No they aren't. I think you're math is just way off, because I can think of not one 17 yr old Sophomore at any level of college football and Id love for you to find one. Cam Newton was a Sophomore at Blinn, just like him I was also 20 my Sophomore year so this idea that he was so much older than everybody else is both outlandish and completely made up.

What are you talking about? Newton enrolled at Florida the year after H.S. He did not go to Blinn until the following year. That would make him one year older than most of the 2nd year students & 2 years older than freshmen in his 2nd year.

At Jr College I am sure probably one half of a football team is freshmen & they are playing, not sitting on a bench as they would at a 4 year college. So yes at 20 years old Newton was playing against 17 & 18 year old kids.

A Jr. College football team is composed of freshmen & sophmores. No Jrs or Srs as there are at a 4 year school so to compare JR College football to even Dll College football is crazy. Jr. College is much closer to the H.S. level than to a 4 year College program & I would bet a good H.S. team could beat many Jr. College teams.

Newton will be 22 years old the month after the draft, the same age as most Seniors & only one year younger than Aaron Maybin.

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 09:21 AM
What are you talking about? Newton enrolled at Florida the year after H.S. He did not go to Blinn until the following year. That would make him one year older than most of the 2nd year students & 2 years older than freshmen in his 2nd year.

At Jr College I am sure probably one half of a football team is freshmen & they are playing, not sitting on a bench as they would at a 4 year college. So yes at 20 years old Newton was playing against 17 & 18 year old kids.

A Jr. College football team is composed of freshmen & sophmores. No Jrs or Srs as there are at a 4 year school so to compare JR College football to even Dll College football is crazy. Jr. College is much closer to the H.S. level than to a 4 year College program & I would bet a good H.S. team could beat many Jr. College teams.

Newton will be 22 years old the month after the draft, the same age as most Seniors & only one year younger than Aaron Maybin.

This is pointless...plenty of kids are 19, and 20 their freshman and sophomore year. How old were you then? The idea that he is playing against 17 yr olds is ridiculous. Maybe some 18 yr olds who have very late birthdays who play as freshman but even that has to be somewhat rare.

Examples;
DT Nick Fairley is 23 now, was 20 and 21 in JUCO.
QB Zach Mettenberger will be 20 in July after playing this year in JUCO at 19, which was his rFr year.

Again 17 and 18 year olds being the consistent age that Newton played against isn't true.

Bill Cody
02-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I know that avid Newton fanboys do not like "the rule," which seems to be a good gauge...not 100% (breathe) but pretty damn accurate.

The problem is so many QB's are coming out early. Would it help them all if they did like Peyton Manning and stayed in school. Hell yeah.

better days
02-11-2011, 09:30 AM
This is pointless...plenty of kids are 19, and 20 their freshman and sophomore year. How old were you then? The idea that he is playing against 17 yr olds is ridiculous. Maybe some 18 yr olds who have very late birthdays who play as freshman but even that has to be somewhat rare.

Examples;
DT Nick Fairley is 23 now, was 20 and 21 in JUCO.
QB Zach Mettenberger will be 20 in July after playing this year in JUCO at 19, which was his rFr year.

Again 17 and 18 year olds being the consistent age that Newton played against isn't true.

There are probably more 17 year old freshmen than there are 20 year old freshmen. The main point about Jr. College in comparing it to a 4 year school is the level of competition.

As I said Jr. College is far closer to H.S. than to even a Dll College program so it should not count for much at all when evaluationg Newton.

Newton is a one year wonder & to argue against that because of Blinn is just WRONG.

Philagape
02-11-2011, 10:00 AM
FYI about Blinn ... They've gone 69-18 since 2003. They had a perfect national championship season in 2006, and the title with Newton in 09 was the program's fourth (and the only one in which they didn't go undefeated). Sounds like an elite program, Newton or no Newton.

Put any future NFL prospect in JUCO, and they're probably going to dominate. Most of the kids on the field are local kids not good enough for even DIII.
And remember that someone wins the national title every year, beating "the best of the best."

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 10:32 AM
There are probably more 17 year old freshmen than there are 20 year old freshmen. The main point about Jr. College in comparing it to a 4 year school is the level of competition.

As I said Jr. College is far closer to H.S. than to even a Dll College program so it should not count for much at all when evaluationg Newton.

Newton is a one year wonder & to argue against that because of Blinn is just WRONG.

Nobody said there was a 20 year old freshman. You're the one arguing about ages that dont coorelate.

Nobody is comparing JUCO to 4 yr schools either.

No its really not and some JUCO's like Butler, Blinn, Navarro and others would compete on the FCS and DII levels.

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 10:38 AM
FYI about Blinn ... They've gone 69-18 since 2003. They had a perfect national championship season in 2006, and the title with Newton in 09 was the program's fourth (and the only one in which they didn't go undefeated). Sounds like an elite program, Newton or no Newton.

Put any future NFL prospect in JUCO, and they're probably going to dominate. Most of the kids on the field are local kids not good enough for even DIII.
And remember that someone wins the national title every year, beating "the best of the best."

They get the best of the best athletes just like schools like Butler, Navarro, and others. Just like schools like FSU, and UGA do on the FBS level, CAA schools do on the FCS level, and schools like North Alabama do on the DII level. Elite programs bring in elite talent.

They should dominate. Most schools have local talent because kids have to pay the tuition at the schools still (I dont believe JUCO's offer full rides, could be wrong though) so why travel so far away? Its a reason why many of UGA's non-qualifiers go an hour away and play at Georgia Military College.

Here's the JUCO Top 50 from rivals; http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2743

Most of those kids are signed to BCS conference schools, even more sign with non-AQ schools and even more sign with lower levels, the number of JUCO kids who go on to play ball is somewhere between 250-300 so to act like this is some set of HS kids who are just hanging on to the last shread of their career is simply not true. And I have to question how many of you have actually either attended or watched a JUCO game before?

Philagape
02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
250-300 out of how many total? How many out of 22 are typically on the field at any given time?

I found a list of 68 NJCAA football programs. Multiplied by 22 that's about 1,500 starters. So at the high end of that range, that means on average 80 percent of the starters don't go anywhere, and that goes higher when accounting for non-starters who still play.

tampabay25690
02-11-2011, 11:16 AM
I can't believe we consider Cam Newton a 1 year wonder..........

Did anyone see this guy DOMINATE college ball....
You aren't a 1 year wonder when that happens.........

tampabay25690
02-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Hey if we draft NEWTON at #3 Im on board...........

better days
02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I can't believe we consider Cam Newton a 1 year wonder..........

Did anyone see this guy DOMINATE college ball....
You aren't a 1 year wonder when that happens.........

Well, he only did that for one year so yeah he is a one year wonder.

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 11:24 AM
250-300 out of how many total? How many out of 22 are typically on the field at any given time?

I found a list of 68 NJCAA football programs. Multiplied by 22 that's about 1,500 starters. So at the high end of that range, that means on average 80 percent of the starters don't go anywhere, and that goes higher when accounting for non-starters who still play.

Relevance?

If roughly 20% of the starters in your league are moving on that's damn good. Better than most HS's, almost every FCS, DII, DIII, and NAIA program as well.

Thanks for helping to prove my point.

Philagape
02-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Relevance?

If roughly 20% of the starters in your league are moving on that's damn good. Better than most HS's, almost every FCS, DII, DIII, and NAIA program as well.

Thanks for helping to prove my point.

The point is that Cam Newton dominated games in which most of the starters never played a higher level of college ball. For them it was an extension of high school. And people want to count that alongside the SEC??
Of the 20 percent, how many went to DI? Of that, how many became major conference starters?

better days
02-11-2011, 11:40 AM
They get the best of the best athletes just like schools like Butler, Navarro, and others. Just like schools like FSU, and UGA do on the FBS level, CAA schools do on the FCS level, and schools like North Alabama do on the DII level. Elite programs bring in elite talent.

They should dominate. Most schools have local talent because kids have to pay the tuition at the schools still (I dont believe JUCO's offer full rides, could be wrong though) so why travel so far away? Its a reason why many of UGA's non-qualifiers go an hour away and play at Georgia Military College.

Here's the JUCO Top 50 from rivals; http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2743

Most of those kids are signed to BCS conference schools, even more sign with non-AQ schools and even more sign with lower levels, the number of JUCO kids who go on to play ball is somewhere between 250-300 so to act like this is some set of HS kids who are just hanging on to the last shread of their career is simply not true. And I have to question how many of you have actually either attended or watched a JUCO game before?

In other words, Newton dominated Jr. College while on a GREAT Jr. College team. It would have been much more impressive had he dominated Jr. College while on a BAD team.

If a kid has talent & the size to play football the only ones that go to Jr. College are the H.S. students that can not qualify academically to a 4 year school. Most areas that have Jr. Colleges also have 4 year Colleges nearby.

As I said before a Good H.S. team can beat many Jr. College teams. I can think of about 4 in the Tampa/Sarasota area alone that could beat Jr. College teams. In the entire State of Florida & the State of Texas I bet there are quite a few H.S. teams that could beat Jr. College teams.

Therefore the only year that should be considered when evaluating Newton is his year at Auburn & while it was a great year, he is still a one year wonder.

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 11:49 AM
The point is that Cam Newton dominated games in which most of the starters never played a higher level of college ball. For them it was an extension of high school. And people want to count that alongside the SEC??
Of the 20 percent, how many went to DI? Of that, how many became major conference starters?

Well considering the top 50 all went to BCS programs, and plenty to non-AQ probably 10% or so, probably 15-17% when you count both D1 subdivisions.

Cam Newton
Devin Thomes
Maurice Purify
Jeff Otah
Fenuki Toupou
Carl Nicks
Ryan Torain
Ashlee Palmer
Phil Loadholt
Coye Francies
Casper Brinkley
Jasper Brinkley
Woodny Turenne
Larry Asante
Zac Lee
Anthony Leon
Demetrius Byrd
Corvey Irvin
Matt Asiante
Devin Frischknecht
Frank Summers
Carl Moore
Markus White
Corey Surrency
LaGarette Blount
J'Marcus Webb
Jarriel King
Brandon Banks
Stephen Pea
Parnell McPhee
Jason Pierre-Paul
Chris Matthews
James Carpenter
Terrance Cain
Ryan Clark
Hiram Atwater
Jakar Hamilton
Matangi Tonga

and those are just the ones off the top of my head.

better days
02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Well considering the top 50 all went to BCS programs, and plenty to non-AQ probably 10% or so, probably 15-17% when you count both D1 subdivisions.

Cam Newton
Devin Thomes
Maurice Purify
Jeff Otah
Fenuki Toupou
Carl Nicks
Ryan Torain
Ashlee Palmer
Phil Loadholt
Coye Francies
Casper Brinkley
Jasper Brinkley
Woodny Turenne
Larry Asante
Zac Lee
Anthony Leon
Demetrius Byrd
Corvey Irvin
Matt Asiante
Devin Frischknecht
Frank Summers
Carl Moore
Markus White
Corey Surrency
LaGarette Blount
J'Marcus Webb
Jarriel King
Brandon Banks
Stephen Pea
Parnell McPhee
Jason Pierre-Paul
Chris Matthews
James Carpenter
Terrance Cain
Ryan Clark
Hiram Atwater
Jakar Hamilton
Matangi Tonga

and those are just the ones off the top of my head.

OK now tell us how many other players on the teams those players you named made it to even a Dll school. I would bet only one or maybe 2 tops per player. The point is Newton played against inferior talent in Jr. College & that is just a fact.

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 12:04 PM
OK now tell us how many other players on the teams those players you named made it to even a Dll school. I would bet only one or maybe 2 tops per player. The point is Newton played against inferior talent in Jr. College & that is just a fact.

Im to need you to re-word your sentence into a question because I have no idea what you are asking right now.

Nobody is arguing that it was inferior talent. Im arguing that its completely off base and wrong to assume JUCO level is comparable to HS or just slightly above when its not even close.

better days
02-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Im to need you to re-word your sentence into a question because I have no idea what you are asking right now.

Nobody is arguing that it was inferior talent. Im arguing that its completely off base and wrong to assume JUCO level is comparable to HS or just slightly above when its not even close.

Juco is much closer to H.S. than a 4 year College program. I bet if you google Plant H.S.Tampa you will find at least as many players from Plant as you listed that have gone on to a 4 yr College football program.

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Juco is much closer to H.S. than a 4 year College program. I bet if you google Plant H.S.Tampa you will find at least as many players from Plant as you listed that have gone on to a 4 yr College football program.

Again I disagree, Ive laid out my argument with countless examples, numbers, and names and I think Ive done a very thourough job of proving why that claim is false.

better days
02-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Again I disagree, Ive laid out my argument with countless examples, numbers, and names and I think Ive done a very thourough job of proving why that claim is false.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree. I think my argument is stronger than yours. I'm sure some people agree with you while others agree with me.

Mski
02-11-2011, 07:04 PM
san fran taking von miller.... imagine him and willis on the same defense

YardRat
02-11-2011, 07:15 PM

Bingo.

Blinn's won championships without Newton before, and will again. I'd be willing to bet that it's no coincidence that Blinn is where Daddy had Newton land to work his way back into a DI program.

This kid is going to turn out to be more hype than substance.

Figster
02-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Bingo.

Blinn's won championships without Newton before, and will again. I'd be willing to bet that it's no coincidence that Blinn is where Daddy had Newton land to work his way back into a DI program.

This kid is going to turn out to be more hype than substance.

Or this kid could turn out to be one of the biggest superstars the National Football League has ever seen.

Cam2Newton.com http://www.cam2newton.com/

OLDSRIP
02-12-2011, 10:50 AM
One thing that drives me nuts about Newton is his father, for a pastor he sure likes to get his nose dirty. They won't touch the guy with his father pulling the strings, guy is all about the money.[/quote]

Hi all, first post here.

The quote fro KingjoNYC, above.

Both Cam and his father are part of a FBI investigation that has been on going for awhile now. This is well known.
From a distance his father does seem questionable at best. But who knows.

A don't watch enough college football to have a strong opinion either way.
But if I was investing 50 mil into someone, that would concern me.
A big problem is that the FBI can take a long time to close something like this. Will it come back to haunt him in 2 years?

Just something I haven't seen mentioned.

Joe

A bills fan since the beginning.
Yes, that means I'm old.

Extremebillsfan247
02-12-2011, 11:16 AM
It seems that the opinions vary among those who do that sort of thing for a living. The names I've heard to date that we could be taking at 3 are Newton, Gabbert, Peterson, Green, Dareus, Bowers, and Miller. I may have missed a name here or there, but these predictions are all over the place. At least it looks that way to me, which gives me the impression that they are as puzzled about who this team is favoring, as most fans are. JMO

Luisito23
02-12-2011, 11:53 AM
One thing that drives me nuts about Newton is his father, for a pastor he sure likes to get his nose dirty. They won't touch the guy with his father pulling the strings, guy is all about the money.

Hi all, first post here.

The quote fro KingjoNYC, above.

Both Cam and his father are part of a FBI investigation that has been on going for awhile now. This is well known.
From a distance his father does seem questionable at best. But who knows.

A don't watch enough college football to have a strong opinion either way.
But if I was investing 50 mil into someone, that would concern me.
A big problem is that the FBI can take a long time to close something like this. Will it come back to haunt him in 2 years?

Just something I haven't seen mentioned.

Joe

A bills fan since the beginning.
Yes, that means I'm old.

:posrep:...Nice 1st. post!

OLDSRIP
02-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the thanks, Luisito23.

To bad no one will see it since I put it on the end of a dead thread. lol

But I do think it is a very important point that no one is talking about.

Joe

DraftBoy
02-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the thanks, Luisito23.

To bad no one will see it since I put it on the end of a dead thread. lol

But I do think it is a very important point that no one is talking about.

Joe

Not a ton to be concerned with since the only "illegal" thing they did was solicit money which is actually something they should do in the pros by pursuing endorsements and such.

Example today it was announced Cam Newton has signed the largest endorsement deal even with Under Armour.

OLDSRIP
02-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi Draftboy,

Its very possible you are correct.

The problem is that when the FBI starts sniffing around your life becomes an open book. Even if they are cleared in this mess, daddy sound kinda dirty.
Who knows what they may find.

I hope the kid is clean. Only time will tell.

Joe

DraftBoy
02-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi Draftboy,

The problem is that when the FBI starts sniffing around your life becomes an open book. Even if they are cleared in this mess, daddy sound kinda dirty.

Joe

Quite possible, but the only issue Daddy may face is tax issues from the IRS. I think Cam is protected enough to be clean.

Figster
02-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi Draftboy,

Joe

Hi OLDSRIP

With all due respect, daddy is a minister, and if there ever was any money it was a probably in the form of a donation to the ministry, does that really sound all that dirty to you?

DraftBoy
02-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi OLDSRIP

With all due respect, daddy is a minister, and if there ever was any money it was a probably in the form of a donation to the ministry, does that really sound all that dirty to you?

Considering Im not even aware if the church still exists or if he is still the past, absolutely!

OLDSRIP
02-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi Dog,

With all due respect, daddy is a minister, and if there ever was any money it was a probably in the form of a donation to the ministry, does that really sound all that dirty to you?[/quote]

Believe me, I have no dog in this fight.

All I'm saying is that both those guys are being looked into by the FBI.
When this happens there is always a chance of something coming back to haunt you.

The man may be squeeky clean. I hope they are. I have no ill will toward anyone involved. It would concern me though if I was going to make a major investment into the kid.

I'm sure the NFL is doing their homework.

The fact that daddy is/was a minister. Unfortunately there are many cases of holy men who were/are dirty as hell.

Joe

Bill Cody
02-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi OLDSRIP

Ministers are just people, some good some bad. The fact that he is a minister means nothing to me. The fact that he is being investigated by the FBI is not good. The fact that he was trying to sell his son to the highest college bidder is not good. Mr. Newton sounds like a bum.

Figster
02-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Ministers are just people, some good some bad. The fact that he is a minister means nothing to me. The fact that he is being investigated by the FBI is not good. The fact that he was trying to sell his son to the highest college bidder is not good. Mr. Newton sounds like a bum.

Cecil Newton is a Bishop overseeing five small Pentecostal churches in Georgia. The fact that the Bishop Newton does everything he can to help keep his small churches open for businesss is a true testament of the mans strong faith and perseverance in my opinion.

better days
02-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Cecil Newton is a Bishop overseeing five small Pentecostal churches in Georgia. The fact that the Bishop Newton does everything he can to help keep his small churches open for businesss is a true testament of the mans strong faith and perseverance in my opinion.

Down South here ANYBODY can call themselves Minister, Bishop etc. They are not required to get a degree from any religious College & do not have to be recognized by any mainstream Church.

Some are religious men while others are crooks.

Luisito23
02-14-2011, 01:53 PM
The fact that the Bishop Newton does everything he can to help keep his small churches open for businesss is a true testament of the mans strong faith and perseverance in my opinion.

Since when has breaking the law become a virtue of strong faith, and perseverance?

Bill Cody
02-14-2011, 02:47 PM

How much faith and perseverance does it take to shake down a college for money? The man needed cash to keep his church from being demolished. He didn't have it, got a couple extensions on the demolition and then all of sudden he's got the cash to bring the building up to code. How's that smell to you?

Figster
02-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Since when has breaking the law become a virtue of strong faith, and perseverance?

A Church excepting donations is a common occurrence don't you think?

Perhaps If you were part of the congregation that watched Cecil Newton sacrifice his reputation in order to save the Church you might feel differently,

hypothetically speaking I mean...

(http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0geuyVapFlNkDgA66FXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1a25hb3JlBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1NNRTAxM18xNTM-/SIG=11m84lmch/EXP=1297806810/**http%3a//www.loganselm.blogspot.com/)

better days
02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
A Church excepting donations is a common occurrence don't you think?

Perhaps If you were part of the congregation that watched Cecil Newton sacrifice his reputation in order to save the Church you might feel differently,

hypothetically speaking I mean...

A Church extorting money from a College is not a common occurrence. In fact it is very unusual.

Figster
02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
A Church extorting money from a College is not a common occurrence. In fact it is very unusual.

and real hard to prove in my opinion,

better days
02-14-2011, 05:26 PM

Well, I will leave that up to the FBI, but if the teams about to draft were to be considered a Court of law, they would be a Civil Court not a Criminal Court & as O.J. can tell you the threshold of proof is much lower in a Civil Court.

Bill Cody
02-15-2011, 11:22 AM

oh great so now we need to "prove" it? He's not being nominated to the Supreme Court or up for Cardinal and we ain't the police. We can use common sense here and mine tells me he got the money from a college. How's that working for you?

Figster
02-15-2011, 01:50 PM
oh great so now we need to "prove" it? He's not being nominated to the Supreme Court or up for Cardinal and we ain't the police. We can use common sense here and mine tells me he got the money from a college. How's that working for you?

better days and I are able to have a conversation without taking it personally,

As far as the burden of proof goes, its up to the accuser or prosecution to prove and If you can't prove your case or allegations you might get counter sued for defamation of character.

Hows that work for you?

better days
02-15-2011, 02:15 PM

As far as the burden of proof goes, its up to the accuser or prosecution to prove and If you can't prove your case or allegations you might get counter sued for defamation of character.

Hows that work for you?

I think what Ralph is saying & I am also saying is that if teams have even a strong suspicion of wrong doing by Newton or his father it will cause him to be drafted lower than he otherwise would be.

Figster
02-15-2011, 03:08 PM
I think what Ralph is saying & I am also saying is that if teams have even a strong suspicion of wrong doing by Newton or his father it will cause him to be drafted lower than he otherwise would be.

Its possible and understandable, but keep in mind better days false allegations are leveled on folks all the time. Regardless, I don't see something Cecil Newton may or may not have done as an indication Cam is guilty of anything.

Bill Cody
02-15-2011, 04:08 PM

Hows that work for you?

I'm not taking anything personally. But you're completely missing my point.

Figster
02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm not taking anything personally. But you're completely missing my point.

According to you common sense is telling you Cecil Newton is guilty without proof and mine is telling me not to prematurely rush to judgment.

What point am I missing here?

Bill Cody
02-15-2011, 04:36 PM
According to you common sense is telling you Cecil Newton is guilty without proof and mine is telling me not to prematurely rush to judgment.

What point am I missing here?

I'm saying it looks bad. Plain and simple. And that worries me. The fact is His Bishopness solicited money from a college. That much we know. We don't know if Cam knew about it. And if the extremely logical conclusion that this was how he rebuilt his church is wrong, where did he get the money? Can you tell me that? No? Well then maybe you can understand why this is an issue.

You seem to think unless he's convicted in a court of law that we shouldn't feel uneasy about dear old dad. Well I do worry and I'm pretty sure whatever I say on a fan forum isn't going to get me sued. And if it is true the message it's sending to Cam, who he is clearly pulling the strings for, is that the ends justify the means and shortcuts are ok. That message already appears to have been sent earlier to Cam based on his cheating issues. I'm telling you right now the Bills are checking out everything they can on both Cam and his dad as they well should.

Figster
02-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm saying it looks bad. Plain and simple. And that worries me. The fact is His Bishopness solicited money from a college. That much we know. We don't know if Cam knew about it. And if the extremely logical conclusion that this was how he rebuilt his church is wrong, where did he get the money? Can you tell me that? No? Well then maybe you can understand why this is an issue.

You seem to think unless he's convicted in a court of law that we shouldn't feel uneasy about dear old dad. Well I do worry and I'm pretty sure whatever I say on a fan forum isn't going to get me sued. And if it is true the message it's sending to Cam, who he is clearly pulling the strings for, is that the ends justify the means and shortcuts are ok. That message already appears to have been sent earlier to Cam based on his cheating issues. I'm telling you right now the Bills are checking out everything they can on both Cam and his dad as they well should.
Its odd Sell Local Ralph that you could know for a fact Cecil Newton solicited money from a college when up to this point a very thorough investigation has not been able to prove the so called fact to be true. Churches except donations every day and who's to say one of the thousands of wealthy Cam Newton fans out there didn't say, "you know what, I'm going to help the Newton family save their house of Worship". If you think that's not possible Sell Local Ralph you are being very narrow minded in my opinion.

Myself personally, The Buffalo Bills are much more concerned with Cam Newtons intelligence, leadership abilities, work ethic and Quarterbacking abilities then they are of Bishop Cecil Newton's efforts to save the Church.

Note: I've watched Cecil Newtons name get trashed on numerous occasions. Maybe not so much here on the zone as other places which I contribute to a better class of poster. I mean that as a compliment to everyone.

Amist all of the allegations surrounding the Bishop Cecil Newton , true or false, I have to wonder what God thinks about the situation...

Bill Cody
02-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Its odd Sell Local Ralph that you could know for a fact Cecil Newton solicited money from a college when up to this point a very thorough investigation has not been able to prove the so called fact to be true. Churches except donations every day and who's to say one of the thousands of wealthy Cam Newton fans out there didn't say, "you know what, I'm going to help the Newton family save their house of Worship". If you think that's not possible Sell Local Ralph you are being very narrow minded in my opinion.

Myself personally, The Buffalo Bills are much more concerned with Cam Newtons intelligence, leadership abilities, work ethic and Quarterbacking abilities then they are of Bishop Cecil Newton's efforts to save the Church.

Note: I've watched Cecil Newtons name get trashed on numerous occasions. Maybe not so much here on the zone as other places which I contribute to a better class of poster. I mean that as a compliment to everyone.

Amist all of the allegations surrounding the Bishop Cecil Newton , true or false, I have to wonder what God thinks about the situation...

I agree with your 3rd to last paragraph but something like this is not helpful if you're considering investing millions in a player, it just isn't. I also think when you talk about other people "trashing" Cecil Newton you are either naive or putting blinders on or maybe both. We didn't invent the "pay for play" issue. I see no reason why someone would make this story up. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5792707

If you're saying I should be worried about what God thinks I really am not as I am not a believer.

Figster
02-16-2011, 03:04 PM
I agree with your 3rd to last paragraph but something like this is not helpful if you're considering investing millions in a player, it just isn't. I also think when you talk about other people "trashing" Cecil Newton you are either naive or putting blinders on or maybe both. We didn't invent the "pay for play" issue. I see no reason why someone would make this story up. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5792707

If you're saying I should be worried about what God thinks I really am not as I am not a believer.

No, I did not mean to sound like all my comments were directed at you and thanks for being honest.