X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cgbm
    • Jan 2011

thoughts on Cam Newton's media workout

Cam Newton held his media only workout today.

just wanted to see what everyone thinks about this guys stock now.

rise or fall or even.

Speaking on ESPN Thursday afternoon, Trent Dilfer called Auburn QB Cam Newton's Thursday media day workout "one of the most phenomenal personal workouts I've ever seen."

"If scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering," added Dilfer, who called Newton a "dynamic athlete" and "highly impressive." Dilfer praised Newton's refinement, accuracy, and arm strength while proclaiming the "sky is the limit." Newton's measurables have never been in question, so it's hardly surprising that he excelled in a controlled environment. It is a positive sign, though, that the tutoring on his footwork and acclimation to working under center have paid off. It's certainly possible that a team with a top-five selection will fall in love Newton, but his character concerns and football acumen will still be scrutinized over the next two months.
    a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.
  • Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

Re: thoughts on Cam Newton's media workout

I say it stays even for now...Way too early for him to rise, or fall based on only 1 workout.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Commissioner
      • Dec 2004

Jamarcus Russell could throw the ball like a god too.....

I wanna know if he can learn to read coverages.
      Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• cgbm
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Luisito23
        I say it stays even for now...Way too early for him to rise, or fall based on only 1 workout.
        i can agree with that. but the fact that he performed so well should say something. if nothing else it should show that he is showing a major commitment.

i also read this at NBC

Based on Newton’s comment to NFLN, he’s clearly “hoping” that Favre’s involvement will be more than just a cameo aimed at getting Cam to sign on the dotted line with Brett’s long-time agent.

i didnt watch the whole video. it was long and boring. but if he is in fact getting help from brett farve, that may also help him adapt to an in the pocket passing system
        a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

I doubt he showed anything we haven't seen before, except maybe he managed to do things from under center this time. Unless he was reading a blitzing defense while doing the workout, I wouldn't put much stock into it. The media slobbers over most everything they can, especially if it leads to more viewers.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

It's going to rise each time he performs.

Trent Dilfer is on ESPN just raving about this workout and the Combine will just cement it.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• kingJofNYC
              • Sep 2009

Job well done by Cecil Newton, get the hype rolling.

Comment

• Bangarang
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by psubills62
                I doubt he showed anything we haven't seen before, except maybe he managed to do things from under center this time. Unless he was reading a blitzing defense while doing the workout, I wouldn't put much stock into it. The media slobbers over most everything they can, especially if it leads to more viewers.
                Sometimes QB's look uncomfortable and sloppy working from under center. Perhaps Newton looked fluid taking 3,5, & 7 step drops. I wish there was video though.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by cgbm
                  i can agree with that. but the fact that he performed so well should say something. if nothing else it should show that he is showing a major commitment.

i also read this at NBC

Based on Newton’s comment to NFLN, he’s clearly “hoping” that Favre’s involvement will be more than just a cameo aimed at getting Cam to sign on the dotted line with Brett’s long-time agent.

i didnt watch the whole video. it was long and boring. but if he is in fact getting help from brett farve, that may also help him adapt to an in the pocket passing system
                  This workout is a joke. What kind of commitment is he showing? Every player about to be drafted is in training to look good at the combine. Even JaMarcus Russell looked commited before he was drafted.

Where Newton is drafted will depend on how well he does at the combine, especially in interviews & on the wonderlic test. Everyone already agrees he has physical skills, the question is does he have the mental makeup & intangibles such as work ethic to watch game film & study a playbook on a Friday night?

Comment

• dasaybz
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by better days
                    This workout is a joke. What kind of commitment is he showing? Every player about to be drafted is in training to look good at the combine. Even JaMarcus Russell looked commited before he was drafted.

Where Newton is drafted will depend on how well he does at the combine, especially in interviews & on the wonderlic test. Everyone already agrees he has physical skills, the question is does he have the mental makeup & intangibles such as work ethic to watch game film & study a playbook on a Friday night?
                    You know what's a joke? Everybody comparing him to Russell. Russell is the biggest bust in the history of the NFL ... that alone is not easy to do.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bangarang
                      Sometimes QB's look uncomfortable and sloppy working from under center. Perhaps Newton looked fluid taking 3,5, & 7 step drops. I wish there was video though.
                      He may have. But did he read a defense from under center?

Whether scouts/fans manage to get ahold of video or not, I still don't believe Newton will be helped by making the media into his stooge and attempting to toot his own horn.
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by dasaybz
                        You know what's a joke? Everybody comparing him to Russell. Russell is the biggest bust in the history of the NFL ... that alone is not easy to do.
                        I did not compare him to Russell except to say Russell also showed commitment before being drafted. After he got his money, we all know how much commitment Russell had.

Newton may be commited to being a great QB in the NFL, or he may not be, that is why I said the interviews & wonderlic will be very important for him to do well on at the combine. He needs to convince an NFL team that he has the mental makeup & intangibles to be a great NFL QB.

Comment

• Bangarang
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by psubills62
                          He may have. But did he read a defense from under center?

Whether scouts/fans manage to get ahold of video or not, I still don't believe Newton will be helped by making the media into his stooge and attempting to toot his own horn.
                          How many college QB's are capable of reading an NFL defense? There's always a big learning curve when making the transition from college to the NFL.

Comment

• Prov401
                            President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                            • Aug 2008

I'm not sure why people are surprised. The kid is very very talented. If we were to take a QB high, it better be Newton and not Gabbert. Newton is a winner, and has tremendous accuracy. The only criticisms are his past with the stolen laptop (that he purchased), and the ineligibility issue, both I can really care less about. I like the way the kid handles himself in front of the media, and I think he has the desire to be great.

Too bad he's going number 1 to the Panthers.

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bangarang
                              How many college QB's are capable of reading an NFL defense? There's always a big learning curve when making the transition from college to the NFL.
                              How about a high school defense? There's a difference between making pre-snap reads from under center and making them from shotgun. Heck, there's a question as to whether or not he even made ANY pre-snap reads in college, much less from under center. I believe Ingtar said he didn't.

A workout like this does nothing to answer the real questions about him, and it's a controlled environment where he can show off his physical attributes. We already knew he's physically gifted, so this solves nothing and only baits the media into hyping his already overhyped machine.
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X