PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Cam Newton's media workout

cgbm
02-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Cam Newton held his media only workout today.

just wanted to see what everyone thinks about this guys stock now.

rise or fall or even.

Speaking on ESPN Thursday afternoon, Trent Dilfer called Auburn QB Cam Newton's Thursday media day workout "one of the most phenomenal personal workouts I've ever seen."

"If scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering," added Dilfer, who called Newton a "dynamic athlete" and "highly impressive." Dilfer praised Newton's refinement, accuracy, and arm strength while proclaiming the "sky is the limit." Newton's measurables have never been in question, so it's hardly surprising that he excelled in a controlled environment. It is a positive sign, though, that the tutoring on his footwork and acclimation to working under center have paid off. It's certainly possible that a team with a top-five selection will fall in love Newton, but his character concerns and football acumen will still be scrutinized over the next two months.

Luisito23
02-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I say it stays even for now...Way too early for him to rise, or fall based on only 1 workout.

Commissioner
02-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Jamarcus Russell could throw the ball like a god too.....

I wanna know if he can learn to read coverages.

cgbm
02-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I say it stays even for now...Way too early for him to rise, or fall based on only 1 workout.

i can agree with that. but the fact that he performed so well should say something. if nothing else it should show that he is showing a major commitment.

i also read this at NBC

Based on Newton’s comment to NFLN (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/09000d5d81e212f4/Cam-Newton-on-set), he’s clearly “hoping” that Favre’s involvement will be more than just a cameo aimed at getting Cam to sign on the dotted line with Brett’s long-time agent.

i didnt watch the whole video. it was long and boring. but if he is in fact getting help from brett farve, that may also help him adapt to an in the pocket passing system

psubills62
02-10-2011, 01:37 PM
I doubt he showed anything we haven't seen before, except maybe he managed to do things from under center this time. Unless he was reading a blitzing defense while doing the workout, I wouldn't put much stock into it. The media slobbers over most everything they can, especially if it leads to more viewers.

Night Train
02-10-2011, 01:39 PM
It's going to rise each time he performs.

Trent Dilfer is on ESPN just raving about this workout and the Combine will just cement it.

kingJofNYC
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Job well done by Cecil Newton, get the hype rolling.

Bangarang
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I doubt he showed anything we haven't seen before, except maybe he managed to do things from under center this time. Unless he was reading a blitzing defense while doing the workout, I wouldn't put much stock into it. The media slobbers over most everything they can, especially if it leads to more viewers.

Sometimes QB's look uncomfortable and sloppy working from under center. Perhaps Newton looked fluid taking 3,5, & 7 step drops. I wish there was video though.

better days
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
i can agree with that. but the fact that he performed so well should say something. if nothing else it should show that he is showing a major commitment.

i also read this at NBC

Based on Newton’s comment to NFLN (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/09000d5d81e212f4/Cam-Newton-on-set), he’s clearly “hoping” that Favre’s involvement will be more than just a cameo aimed at getting Cam to sign on the dotted line with Brett’s long-time agent.

i didnt watch the whole video. it was long and boring. but if he is in fact getting help from brett farve, that may also help him adapt to an in the pocket passing system

This workout is a joke. What kind of commitment is he showing? Every player about to be drafted is in training to look good at the combine. Even JaMarcus Russell looked commited before he was drafted.

Where Newton is drafted will depend on how well he does at the combine, especially in interviews & on the wonderlic test. Everyone already agrees he has physical skills, the question is does he have the mental makeup & intangibles such as work ethic to watch game film & study a playbook on a Friday night?

dasaybz
02-10-2011, 01:52 PM
This workout is a joke. What kind of commitment is he showing? Every player about to be drafted is in training to look good at the combine. Even JaMarcus Russell looked commited before he was drafted.

Where Newton is drafted will depend on how well he does at the combine, especially in interviews & on the wonderlic test. Everyone already agrees he has physical skills, the question is does he have the mental makeup & intangibles such as work ethic to watch game film & study a playbook on a Friday night?
You know what's a joke? Everybody comparing him to Russell. Russell is the biggest bust in the history of the NFL ... that alone is not easy to do.

psubills62
02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Sometimes QB's look uncomfortable and sloppy working from under center. Perhaps Newton looked fluid taking 3,5, & 7 step drops. I wish there was video though.

He may have. But did he read a defense from under center?

Whether scouts/fans manage to get ahold of video or not, I still don't believe Newton will be helped by making the media into his stooge and attempting to toot his own horn.

better days
02-10-2011, 02:02 PM
You know what's a joke? Everybody comparing him to Russell. Russell is the biggest bust in the history of the NFL ... that alone is not easy to do.

I did not compare him to Russell except to say Russell also showed commitment before being drafted. After he got his money, we all know how much commitment Russell had.

Newton may be commited to being a great QB in the NFL, or he may not be, that is why I said the interviews & wonderlic will be very important for him to do well on at the combine. He needs to convince an NFL team that he has the mental makeup & intangibles to be a great NFL QB.

Bangarang
02-10-2011, 02:02 PM
He may have. But did he read a defense from under center?

Whether scouts/fans manage to get ahold of video or not, I still don't believe Newton will be helped by making the media into his stooge and attempting to toot his own horn.

How many college QB's are capable of reading an NFL defense? There's always a big learning curve when making the transition from college to the NFL.

Prov401
02-10-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure why people are surprised. The kid is very very talented. If we were to take a QB high, it better be Newton and not Gabbert. Newton is a winner, and has tremendous accuracy. The only criticisms are his past with the stolen laptop (that he purchased), and the ineligibility issue, both I can really care less about. I like the way the kid handles himself in front of the media, and I think he has the desire to be great.

Too bad he's going number 1 to the Panthers.

psubills62
02-10-2011, 02:06 PM
How many college QB's are capable of reading an NFL defense? There's always a big learning curve when making the transition from college to the NFL.

How about a high school defense? There's a difference between making pre-snap reads from under center and making them from shotgun. Heck, there's a question as to whether or not he even made ANY pre-snap reads in college, much less from under center. I believe Ingtar said he didn't.

A workout like this does nothing to answer the real questions about him, and it's a controlled environment where he can show off his physical attributes. We already knew he's physically gifted, so this solves nothing and only baits the media into hyping his already overhyped machine.

DraftBoy
02-10-2011, 02:06 PM
What did I say when this workout was announced?

Prov401
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
What did I say when this workout was announced?

Not sure. Don't have a list of Draftboy quotes on hand. What did you say?

Figster
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM

Cam Newton is a student of the game of football and already has the proper mental makeup and good work ethic needed to succeed in the NFL in my opinion.

If Newton stays true to form he will have no problem with interviews, at the combine or on the wonderlic test.

better days
02-10-2011, 02:10 PM

Agreed, the point is this workout did nothing to answer the question of Newtons ability to learn to read a defense. We all know he can throw the ball, the question remains can he learn where to throw the ball?

DraftBoy
02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Not sure. Don't have a list of Draftboy quotes on hand. What did you say?

First off, you should they would come in handy for a number of reasons. None of the which actually would do anything to help anybody but that's not the point.

I said that this kid and the people around him will build up his status and hype the likes of which we only saw last year with Tim Tebow. If you thought that was crazy, wait till this year.

That's not to say his stock will sky rocket and all respect to Trent Dilfer but you kill the guy on film (justifiably) but then get awwed because he throws some routes? Classic mistake, he threw routes with no rush, and no defense, that doesnt impress me. I knew he could throw the ball a mile and had good accuracy. I have far bigger things I need to see.

ddaryl
02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
it has absolutely no positive effect IMO.

It has the negative effect of him trying to sell himself via the media instead of just using an official pro-day workout and the combine like everyone else.

but it doesn't change his stock none. He is still a great athlete with plenty of question marks in regards to his cognitive ability.

better days
02-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Cam Newton is a student of the game of football and already has the proper mental makeup and good work ethic needed to succeed in the NFL in my opinion.

If Newton stays true to form he will have no problem with interviews, at the combine or on the wonderlic test.

Yeah, that is your opinion. My opinion is because he was too lazy or stupid to study at Florida, he resorted to cheating which he was not very good at, getting caught doing so three separate times. He may also be too lazy to study game film or read a playbook.

You may be right about him, but my concerns about him are not unfounded.

Figster
02-10-2011, 02:17 PM
New mock has Newton to the Bills,( Chris Brown)

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/02/10/new-mock-has-newton-to-bills/

Figster
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah, that is your opinion. My opinion is because he was too lazy or stupid to study at Florida, he resorted to cheating which he was not very good at, getting caught doing so three separate times. He may also be too lazy to study game film or read a playbook.

You may be right about him, but my concerns about him are not unfounded.

Under the circumstances better days I can understand perfectly well why you would be very skeptical of Cam Newton.

ddaryl
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
New mock has Newton to the Bills,( Chris Brown)

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/02/10/new-mock-has-newton-to-bills/

Nix would have to against his principles if he took Newton at #3.

No 1 year wonders.

ddaryl
02-10-2011, 02:34 PM
"If scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering," added Dilfer, who called Newton a "dynamic athlete" and "highly impressive." Dilfer praised Newton's refinement, accuracy, and arm strength while proclaiming the "sky is the limit." Newton's measurables have never been in question, so it's hardly surprising that he excelled in a controlled environment. It is a positive sign, though, that the tutoring on his footwork and acclimation to working under center have paid off. It's certainly possible that a team with a top-five selection will fall in love Newton, but his character concerns and football acumen will still be scrutinized over the next two months.

Just for perspective. Trent Dilfer had this to say last year

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/07/trent-dilfer-denies-conflict-of-interest-regarding-colt-mccoy/

Former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer recently gave a candid assessment of former Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, saying that Bradford “is not even close to the best player in the draft (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/trent-dilfer-says-sam-bradford-is-not-even-close-to-the-best-player-in-the-draft/).” In the same interview, on ESPN Radio’s St. Louis affiliate, Dilfer said that former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen is the best prepared to play right away, and that former Texas quarterback Colt McCoy eventually could be the best of the trio.

SO Trent Dilfer's perspective is about as useful as an all dachshund sled in the Iditarod.

superbills
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
So, is Cam Newton being represented by Athletes First as well? IMO, Dilfer is worse than Kiper, which is saying a lot.

cgbm
02-10-2011, 02:55 PM

here you go with the wonderlic test.
i want you to take it. and when you fail we will question all of your posts.

cgbm
02-10-2011, 03:01 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/07/trent-dilfer-denies-conflict-of-interest-regarding-colt-mccoy/

SO Trent Dilfer's perspective is about as useful as an all dachshund sled in the Iditarod.

good point. i agree trent dilfer is kinda an idiot. and only an analyst cuz he played in the nfl and has a name that people know.

i only posted it as the first response to the workout. not saying i agree with trent at all.

better days
02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
here you go with the wonderlic test.
i want you to take it. and when you fail we will question all of your posts.

Fine we can take it together. The NFL has the draft class take that test because they value what it says about players they will potentially draft.

Beebe's Kid
02-10-2011, 03:16 PM

:miyagi:

Iditarod? Well played, sir.

Bill Cody
02-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I've been watching football for a long time and Cam Newton's physical talent is right off the charts. But as I've said from day 1 on this subject he has questions to answer and damn right I want to see the wonderlic. The "one year wonder" stuff is garbage though. The inexperience factor is not garbage and he IS a project. That in itself would not deter me from drafting him though if he's smart. Bills fans have learned to be patient (some of us anyway).

I have not ruled him out and whoever has is not being fair to our favorite team. We won't be able to KNOW if he's going to succeed but there is no reason not to dig deep and find out as much as possible about this guy. But I'm mainly talking from the neck up. I'd interview the hell out of him and see what he does.

ddaryl
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
The "one year wonder" stuff is garbage though. The inexperience factor is not garbage and he IS a project. .

one year wonder = inexperience. it's the same thing

but he is a one year wonder in college, because Blinn does not count, that was basically a college stud playing against High Schoolers.

I fully agree on wonderlic. he'll need to prove he can look 3 reads deep and assess pro D's before the snap, and that takes some cognitive ability

Philagape
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't care much about the Wonderlic; there have been more than enough deviations to discount any kind of a correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success. Didn't Fitzpatrick have like the highest or second-highest Wonderlic of all time? I just don't see how a verbal test can measure how a player will do when he has three seconds to read a defense while knowing where multiple receivers are while multiple pass rushers are trying to kill you.

cgbm
02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Fine we can take it together. The NFL has the draft class take that test because they value what it says about players they will potentially draft.

i agree with the test bug geez it seem that its all you care about.

anytime there is discussion about a qb being drafted thats all you talk about.

how bout anyone that wants to join the nfl as a qb just takes the test and you rank them.

no need for any college game experience or accolades or winning records RIGHT?

cgbm
02-10-2011, 04:13 PM

but he is a one year wonder in college, because Blinn does not count, that was basically a college stud playing against High Schoolers.

I fully agree on wonderlic. he'll need to prove he can look 3 reads deep and assess pro D's before the snap, and that takes some cognitive ability

you said it yourself.

ony way we can see if he can read a d is to put him in it. am i wrong

cgbm
02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
I don't care much about the Wonderlic; there have been more than enough deviations to discount any kind of a correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success. Didn't Fitzpatrick have like the highest or second-highest Wonderlic of all time? I just don't see how a verbal test can measure how a player will do when he has three seconds to read a defense while knowing where multiple receivers are while multiple pass rushers are trying to kill you.

i wish i could thank you more than once

Slim
02-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Nix would have to against his principles if he took Newton at #3.

No 1 year wonders.

Newton isn't a one year wonder, he won a championship at JUCO.

Philagape
02-10-2011, 04:42 PM
i wish i could thank you more than once

Well I'll finish my thought: The inexperience, one-read offense and cheating scandal are WAY more damning. I don't need a Wonderlic to influence my opinion even if it would have.

DraftBoy
02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
People claiming Newton is a one year wonder just to turn around and say they want Fairley or Bowers, clearly dont know both of those guys are even bigger one year wonders.

X-Era
02-10-2011, 05:04 PM
People claiming Newton is a one year wonder just to turn around and say they want Fairley or Bowers, clearly dont know both of those guys are even bigger one year wonders.I think some blast a prospect because they want another prospect or position more than anything else. Why not let simply look at each players merit and what they might mean to the team.

X-Era
02-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Personally I think the workout will cause his stock to rise. It didn't hurt Tebow. I think it may not affect his stock as much to the teams, but more to the fans and media.

The only way I could see it hurting is if a team questions his character and if it then rubs them the wrong way.

better days
02-10-2011, 05:07 PM
i agree with the test bug geez it seem that its all you care about.

anytime there is discussion about a qb being drafted thats all you talk about.

how bout anyone that wants to join the nfl as a qb just takes the test and you rank them.

no need for any college game experience or accolades or winning records RIGHT?

I have only done this in relation to Newton because as others have said there is not much to question about his physical ability but there is about his mental makeup.

If he does well in this area at the combine, I would be all for the Bills drafting him.
I agree with Philagape, the interviews will be more important than the wonderlic for Newton. As Ricky Ricardo used to say "Lucy, you have some splainin' to do."

scartown
02-10-2011, 05:44 PM
People claiming Newton is a one year wonder just to turn around and say they want Fairley or Bowers, clearly dont know both of those guys are even bigger one year wonders.

Fairley being a one year wonder yes. I don't know how you can say Bowers is one as well. He's played since day one at Clemson. As for Cam the hype machine is just starting.

X-Era
02-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Fairley being a one year wonder yes. I don't know how you can say Bowers is one as well. He's played since day one at Clemson. As for Cam the hype machine is just starting.Bowers only came on this year.

scartown
02-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Yes, he blew up this year but he was a solid player as Frosh and soph. I wouldn't call him a one year wonder.

cgbm
02-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I have only done this in relation to Newton because as others have said there is not much to question about his physical ability but there is about his mental makeup.

If he does well in this area at the combine, I would be all for the Bills drafting him.
I agree with Philagape, the interviews will be more important than the wonderlic for Newton. As Ricky Ricardo used to say "Lucy, you have some splainin' to do."

lets just call it what it is.

you dont want the bills to get newton, you think the bills need to fill other positions first.

and you will hold onto anything you can. even in the face of the best talent in this years draft class. you cant say anything about his play but you must talk about the wonderlic because thats all you have at this point.

if the worst part about a qb is his wonderlic test then i am ALL IN.

Philagape
02-10-2011, 07:01 PM
lets just call it what it is.

you dont want the bills to get newton, you think the bills need to fill other positions first.

and you will hold onto anything you can. even in the face of the best talent in this years draft class. you cant say anything about his play but you must talk about the wonderlic because thats all you have at this point.

if the worst part about a qb is his wonderlic test then i am ALL IN.

Talent also includes reading defenses, going through progressions, etc. He has PHYSICAL talent, but mental talent is more important. Bills fans of all people should know this.
And as I said, there are several red flags in that area even if one doesn't care about the Wonderlic.

cgbm
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Talent also includes reading defenses, going through progressions, etc. He has PHYSICAL talent, but mental talent is more important. Bills fans of all people should know this.
And as I said, there are several red flags in that area even if one doesn't care about the Wonderlic.

really?

what is ryan fitzpatricks problem then. harvard and off the charts on the wonderlic.

basicly your wrong. physical talet is way more important but mental is also something that needs to be taken into account

Ed
02-10-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't understand the point of a media workout. Is this common and what's the benefit? It's not like scouts care about what guys like Todd McShay think.

Philagape
02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
really?

what is ryan fitzpatricks problem then. harvard and off the charts on the wonderlic.

basicly your wrong. physical talet is way more important but mental is also something that needs to be taken into account

Yes, really.
Look at almost every QB bust there is: Russell, Leaf, Losman, Rob Johnson, etc. etc. What's the common denominator? They were all physically gifted athletes but weren't right in the head.
I don't care if a QB can throw from one end zone to the other through an F5 tornado; if he can't read defenses or make complex decisions, he'll suck in the NFL. Smart, lesser athletes can at least be serviceable backups.

Fitz has accuracy problems and sometimes makes bad decisions. For the third time, I don't care about Wonderlics.

cgbm
02-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Yes, really.
Look at almost every QB bust there is: Russell, Leaf, Losman, Rob Johnson, etc. etc. What's the common denominator? They were all physically gifted athletes but weren't right in the head.
I don't care if a QB can throw from one end zone to the other through an F5 tornado; if he can't read defenses or make complex decisions, he'll suck in the NFL. Smart, lesser athletes can at least be serviceable backups.

Fitz has accuracy problems and sometimes makes bad decisions. For the third time, I don't care about Wonderlics.

ok. i can understand that mental needs to be there. but it doesnt matter if he is smart as hell if he cant play. either way your saying that you dont care about the wonderlic and all im saying is that better days bases everything on that.

FootballCEO
02-10-2011, 07:41 PM
If this was Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Andrew Luck performing like this at a workout...it'll be a different story. But since its Newton...people instantly toss out the following blanket statements:

1. Jamarcus Russell
2. Can he "read" defense
3. Does he have "intelligence"
4. Anybody can throw well in shorts
5. Played in a "Simple" offense
6. Can he play in a "super complex offense that only NASA scientists and graduates of Brown University" can run..
7. Can he "go through 7 progressions"

Nevermind the fact that he led Blinn JC and Auburn to Nat'l titles.. No one brings up his leadership abilities

And truth be told...at the end of the day, ALL offenses are pretty much simple..the game is still the same..coaches make it complicated by TOO much unnecessary verbiage

Plus, unless a QB has time in the pocket...he will only go through 2 progressions...

better days
02-10-2011, 07:49 PM
really?

You have it backwards. Mental ability including a good work ethic is the most important thing but you also have to take physical ability into account.

Joe Montana did not have all that much physical ability, that is the reason he was not drafted higher but he was very smart & had a good work ethic, that is the reason he is a HOF QB.

The same can be said for Tom Brady. He could not even start in College but he kept studying & working on his game. He persevered because of his intelligence, work ethic & dedication.

There have been many players drafted at every position in the NFL that should have been stars but some were dumb as a box of rocks others were just plain lazy while others had addictions or were easily distracted so they never amounted to anything.

It is true you can't teach speed/height/weight. Physical ability is very important, but the intangibles are even more important. You also can't teach someone that does not have the desire to learn.

Philagape
02-10-2011, 07:58 PM
If this was Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Andrew Luck performing like this at a workout...it'll be a different story. But since its Newton...people instantly toss out the following blanket statements:

1. Jamarcus Russell
2. Can he "read" defense
3. Does he have "intelligence"
4. Anybody can throw well in shorts
5. Played in a "Simple" offense
6. Can he play in a "super complex offense that only NASA scientists and graduates of Brown University" can run..
7. Can he "go through 7 progressions"

Nevermind the fact that he led Blinn JC and Auburn to Nat'l titles.. No one brings up his leadership abilities

And truth be told...at the end of the day, ALL offenses are pretty much simple..the game is still the same..coaches make it complicated by TOO much unnecessary verbiage

Plus, unless a QB has time in the pocket...he will only go through 2 progressions...

I'll take Newton over Locker any day

better days
02-10-2011, 08:03 PM
ok. i can understand that mental needs to be there. but it doesnt matter if he is smart as hell if he cant play. either way your saying that you dont care about the wonderlic and all im saying is that better days bases everything on that.

I don't know where you are getting I am basing everything on the wonderlic. I have already said that I agree with Philagape that the interviews will be much more important to Newton than the wonderlic.

As a Florida Gator fan, it concerns me that Newton was forced to leave Florida because he was caught cheating three separate times as well as being caught with a stolen computer in his posession.

I do not know if he cheated because he is stupid or lazy. Getting caught 3 separate times for cheating & being caught with a stolen computer would lead one to think stupidity is the reason he did that. There are many people in the world that cheat & steal but are smart enough to not get caught, let alone get caught 3 times. Four times if you count the computer. Five times if you count the play for pay deal.

It really does not matter if it is stupidity or laziness that caused Newton to cheat. I do not want to draft a guy with the 3rd pick in the draft unless I can be sure he will put in the work to be the best he can be.

tampabay25690
02-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Why do some of you compare Cam Newton to Jamarcus Russell???
Just because he is black?????

It is so stupid to compare the 2..
Cam Newton was by far the best NCAA player last year and Jamarcus Russel never even touched what Cam has done............

better days
02-10-2011, 08:37 PM

Cam Newton was by far the best NCAA player last year and Jamarcus Russel never even touched what Cam has done............

I don't think anybody is comparing Newton to Russell because of skin color. Josh Freeman is also black & I don't see anyone comparing him to Josh.

The reason Newton & Russell get compared is they both have questionable character while Josh Freemans character is one of well repute.

DraftBoy
02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Fairley being a one year wonder yes. I don't know how you can say Bowers is one as well. He's played since day one at Clemson. As for Cam the hype machine is just starting.

Look at his numbers, and keep in mind he was considered the #1 recruit in HS coming into Clemson. Lacked production till this season.

scartown
02-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Look at his numbers, and keep in mind he was considered the #1 recruit in HS coming into Clemson. Lacked production till this season.

Looking at just the stats they don't jump out at you for sure but don't forget he lead dlineman in tackles as a frosh and also missed 3.5 games in as a soph. He also had 27 qb hurries his first two years. The kid was a solid player all three years at Clemson.

scartown
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Looking at just the stats they don't jump out at you for sure but don't forget he lead dlineman in tackles as a frosh and also missed 3.5 games as a soph. He also had 27 qb hurries his first two years. The kid was a solid player all three years at Clemson.

tampabay25690
02-10-2011, 09:02 PM

I guarantee most do....
They are not the same QB's at all.....

Bmax
02-10-2011, 09:46 PM
The kid is worth a look.. He is a winner and good leader...Plus a winner two championships as a starter says somehting....Worth a look at three if we don't we could be making a big mistake...

Thief
02-10-2011, 09:51 PM
First off, you should they would come in handy for a number of reasons. None of the which actually would do anything to help anybody but that's not the point.
If it can't help, how can it come in handy? I think I missed the point.

mightysimi
02-10-2011, 10:28 PM

Mayock brought up Russell when talking about the Newton tape. He said that it doesn't matter what you do in shorts. He said that Russell had the best pro day that he ever saw but then when on to say that he wouldn't draft him in the first round. There is no doubt Newton has strong physical tools, like Russell, but there are questions about his ability to break down defences, like Russell. Not because they are the same colour but because they have a lot of similarities in their games.

justasportsfan
02-11-2011, 12:01 AM
http://www.seattlepi.com/football/2020ap_fbn_newton_workout.html

Prov401
02-11-2011, 01:15 AM
The kid is worth a look.. He is a winner and good leader...Plus a winner two championships as a starter says somehting....Worth a look at three if we don't we could be making a big mistake...

I agree. But it really isn't going to matter. Panthers are taking him at 1.

X-Era
02-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Mayock brought up Russell when talking about the Newton tape. He said that it doesn't matter what you do in shorts. He said that Russell had the best pro day that he ever saw but then when on to say that he wouldn't draft him in the first round. There is no doubt Newton has strong physical tools, like Russell, but there are questions about his ability to break down defences, like Russell. Not because they are the same colour but because they have a lot of similarities in their games.First, this is all a matter of grading. This isn't black and white. It's isn't Newton goes through progressions or doesn't. Mayock is wrong in his eval, IMO. Mayock labels him as throwing the ball to his primary guy or running. I have had that concern about Newton as well... until I watched more closely. This is a concern for any QB out of the spread system. The system relies on quick throws. But, Newton does make reads when he is asked to and does a nice job looking off the primary guy. He simply has not had as much exposure to that because of the offense he runs. So to me It's not Newton choosing to pull it down and run, although he does do that sometimes, it's often the plays that are called.

Making the statement that Newton can't read defenses or can't go through progressions is false IMO. I have watched him do both. The accurate statement is that Newton hasn't done a lot of reading defenses or going through progressions. He's done it, but not as much as other prospects. I think he will need more time to develop that skill, but that he should be fine. I will be interested in hearing what teams think. A team like the Bills who frequently runs a spread look may find that he has more experience in that set and may like what he could bring to their offense more than other prospects.

I'm saying the same thing now that I have been; Newton needs to convince teams he can be their leader and that he has the right character to do that. That will be the biggest question mark on him. I don't think teams will be as concerned with whether he can develop his quarterback skills.

Figster
02-11-2011, 08:13 AM
I agree. But it really isn't going to matter. Panthers are taking him at 1.
When Andrew Luck decided not to enter the 2011 draft I knew it might decrease Buffalo's chances of drafting Cam Newton.

6 teams already have Newton ranked as the top rated prospect in the 2011 draft. It wouldn't surprise me If the Panthers are one of them. (which would probably make a lot of folks around here happy)

If Nick Fairley falls to 3rd it wouldn't be such a bad thing...

:gosabres: Go Sabres!!!

Bill Cody
02-11-2011, 09:00 AM

See now that isn't right. "One year wonder" is a shot at someone; in other words "that one year might have been a fluke". To me that is completely ridiculous about Newton in the college game. There's no doubt he would just get better and better with more starts, why wouldn't he, he clearly has the talent? On the other hand there's a big big difference between college and pros. That's why his lack of experience is a negative.

So I'd put it like this: all one year wonders are inexperienced but not all inexperienced people are one year wonders. Capiche?

jamze132
02-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't kick a baby if we drafted Newton.

Bill Cody
02-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Mayock brought up Russell when talking about the Newton tape. He said that it doesn't matter what you do in shorts. He said that Russell had the best pro day that he ever saw but then when on to say that he wouldn't draft him in the first round. There is no doubt Newton has strong physical tools, like Russell, but there are questions about his ability to break down defences, like Russell. Not because they are the same colour but because they have a lot of similarities in their games
I want to see a lot more about Newton's cognitive ability but the comparison to Russell is a stretch IMO. I was not a fan of Russell going into the draft. He is nowhere near as accurate throwing the ball and although they're both big guys Newton has much quicker feet, not even close. I swear Russell made about 50m by throwing the ball through the goalposts from his knees from the 50 yard line. If that was the litmus test for great QB's Kyle Boller would be an MVP candidate.

Bill Cody
02-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Fitz would not be in the NFL if he wasn't a genius. How many QB's have EVER made it to the NFL from Harvard? You can't succeed as an NFL QB without brains and the more the better IMO. The wonderlic isn't foolproof by any means but I told anyone that was listening when Vince Young came out that this guy was going to have a hard time after he scored a smooth 7 on the wonderlic. It's tough to call audibles when you're still on page 10 of a 500 page playbook. That's why Jason Peters got moved from TE, dumb as a bag full of rocks.

Bangarang
02-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Here's 9 minutes of the workout. This is so unimpressive.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S3peFT53pI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
If it can't help, how can it come in handy? I think I missed the point.

Twas a joke...

Ed
02-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Trent Dilfer has a huge man crush on Cam Newton.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26003/dilfer-nfl-will-drool-over-cam-newton

I'm sold!

ddaryl
02-11-2011, 12:41 PM
See now that isn't right. "One year wonder" is a shot at someone; in other words "that one year might have been a fluke". To me that is completely ridiculous about Newton in the college game. There's no doubt he would just get better and better with more starts, why wouldn't he, he clearly has the talent? On the other hand there's a big big difference between college and pros. That's why his lack of experience is a negative.

So I'd put it like this: all one year wonders are inexperienced but not all inexperienced people are one year wonders. Capiche?

and some inexperience players never have a year to wonder about

I wouldn't take a 1st rd chance on a QB with such little experience unless I was drafting at the end of sed round and had years of playoff success and the ability to be extremely patient.

He may get much better at the athletic intangibles, but my concern is with the cognitive part of the game. That is something that many QB's never grasp no matter how much experience they get.

Nighthawk
02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
and some inexperience players never have a year to wonder about

I wouldn't take a 1st rd chance on a QB with such little experience unless I was drafting at the end of sed round and had years of playoff success and the ability to be extremely patient.

He may get much better at the athletic intangibles, but my concern is with the cognitive part of the game. That is something that many QB's never grasp no matter how much experience they get.

Agreed...I'm not totally against Newton, but I want to know that he can handle the mental part of the game...he has all the tools, but does he have the ability to disect what is happening in front of him. We will learn more as the months go on.

dasaybz
02-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Here's the thing about Newton that jumps out at me that most people don't talk about. The guy is absolutely relaxed as all hell in the pocket. His pocket presence is absolutely fantastic. If he gets in to trouble at all, he's got the feet to get out of trouble and take off at any time.

To me, there are 3 traits of an NFL QB that is absolutely necessary to be successful.

1. Pocket presence.
2. Accuracy.
3. Leadership/intangibles.

Look at any successful QB in the NFL, and they possess all 3 of these.

Now, I'm not going to say that Newton is going to be an All-Pro, or that he should be the pick for sure at 3, but damn he is so smooth in the pocket and his arm is fantastic, plus he has led his teams to titles twice.

Newton to me is such a very very intriguing prospect. No matter if the Bills draft him or not, I am very curious to see how his career turns out.

Extremebillsfan247
02-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Cam Newton held his media only workout today.

just wanted to see what everyone thinks about this guys stock now.

rise or fall or even.

Speaking on ESPN Thursday afternoon, Trent Dilfer called Auburn QB Cam Newton's Thursday media day workout "one of the most phenomenal personal workouts I've ever seen."

"If scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering," added Dilfer, who called Newton a "dynamic athlete" and "highly impressive." Dilfer praised Newton's refinement, accuracy, and arm strength while proclaiming the "sky is the limit." Newton's measurables have never been in question, so it's hardly surprising that he excelled in a controlled environment. It is a positive sign, though, that the tutoring on his footwork and acclimation to working under center have paid off. It's certainly possible that a team with a top-five selection will fall in love Newton, but his character concerns and football acumen will still be scrutinized over the next two months. Dilfer is wrong in stating "if scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering", because all of the scouts already know about Newton's athletic abilities. Working out in shorts in a controlled environment isn't really going to do much of anything for his stock. They don't really care about what he can do because they already know about what he can do. What they want to know now is if he can learn the things that he can't do yet. They wont see that at a media workout. JMO

X-Era
02-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Dilfer is wrong in stating "if scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering", because all of the scouts already know about Newton's athletic abilities. Working out in shorts in a controlled environment isn't really going to do much of anything for his stock. They don't really care about what he can do because they already know about what he can do. What they want to know now is if he can learn the things that he can't do yet. They wont see that at a media workout. JMOWhile I agree that this wasn't even remotely worth what real games or even the Combine is, every piece of information is a piece of information. And when you investing millions into someone, you should look at all information.

better days
02-11-2011, 08:40 PM
While I agree that this wasn't even remotely worth what real games or even the Combine is, every piece of information is a piece of information. And when you investing millions into someone, you should look at all information.

Well except scouts were not allowed to attend this workout because it would violate the rules. I doubt that scouts take any media persons opinion on it. They will wait & see & talk to Newton themselves at the Combine & his Pro Day.

mightysimi
02-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Well except scouts were not allowed to attend this workout because it would violate the rules. I doubt that scouts take any media persons opinion on it. They will wait & see & talk to Newton themselves at the Combine & his Pro Day.

If you think any interested scout hasn't already seen this tape a million times you are dreaming.

TigerJ
02-11-2011, 09:56 PM
It's good that he's cleaned up his mechanics a bit, but I suspect it's not surprise to scouts that he could. Everyone already knew he had freakish athleticism. The only thing we don't really know is whether he can adapt to a more sophisticated offense and read the more sophisticated defenses of the NFL. So the answer is, no, his stock doesn't get much of any bump from this media workout. Of course he's already a likely first round pick. The only thing that could make a QB's stock higher in the draft is coming from a sophisticated offense where he performed in a superior manner, like Andrew Luck.

better days
02-11-2011, 10:13 PM
If you think any interested scout hasn't already seen this tape a million times you are dreaming.

If you think this tape will have any affect on where Newton is drafted, you are dreaming.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 10:49 AM
If you think this tape will have any affect on where Newton is drafted, you are dreaming.Kiper, at some level disagrees, and personally I think he is on the money with his take on Newton:

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=6112748"/></object>

better days
02-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Kiper, at some level disagrees, and personally I think he is on the money with his take on Newton:

<OBJECT id=ESPN_VIDEO data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" width=384 height=216 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always"></OBJECT>

Kiper was all over the place in that interview. First he says Newtons throwing will help minimize the intangibles about him, then later he says that the interviews at the combine will be more important than throwing there because everyone already knows he can throw. Typical Kiper.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Kiper was all over the place in that interview. First he says Newtons throwing will help minimize the intangibles about him, then later he says that the interviews at the combine will be more important than throwing there because everyone already knows he can throw. Typical Kiper.I think he's simply saying that Newton's camp is working to create buzz and that the real issue is his intangibles which is yet to be decided. And I also agree that if his intangibles were a 10, he would be the #1 pick. But his final rank will depend mostly on what type of person he is. I also agree that with a 7 or 8 for intangibles, he's a to 10 pick.

better days
02-12-2011, 12:07 PM
I think he's simply saying that Newton's camp is working to create buzz and that the real issue is his intangibles which is yet to be decided. And I also agree that if his intangibles were a 10, he would be the #1 pick. But his final rank will depend mostly on what type of person he is. I also agree that with a 7 or 8 for intangibles, he's a to 10 pick.

I agree with all of this as well except I don't really think scouts & teams care at all about buzz. Kiper tried to create buzz last year for Clausen, who knows maybe he would have been drafted in the 4th rnd instead of the middle of the 2nd without Kipers help, but I doubt it.

cgbm
02-12-2011, 12:21 PM
I agree with all of this as well except I don't really think scouts & teams care at all about buzz. Kiper tried to create buzz last year for Clausen, who knows maybe he would have been drafted in the 4th rnd instead of the middle of the 2nd without Kipers help, but I doubt it.

I think buzz deff helps. The scouts already know about him though. So this workout didnt put him on the radar. But scouts deff will get ahold of the footage and look at it. Its a great pre combine tool

better days
02-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I think buzz deff helps. The scouts already know about him though. So this workout didnt put him on the radar. But scouts deff will get ahold of the footage and look at it. Its a great pre combine tool

So do you think Clausen would have been drafted lower than the middle of the 2nd rnd last year without the buzz from Kiper?

Novacane
02-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Just the fact that he had a media only workout makes me not want him more than before!

X-Era
02-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Just the fact that he had a media only workout makes me not want him more than before!Did you feel the same about Tebow's media workout?

Novacane
02-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Did you feel the same about Tebow's media workout?

I did not know he did it. I think it is stupid. No matter who does it.

Commissioner
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Due to league rules... scouts weren't allowed to attend the workout. It's not like Cam's people said... "NO SCOUTS ALLOWED"...

Cam's media workout did exactly what they wanted.... it got his name out there and got media people gushing about him. Check out the Poll on the other bills board... almost 70% of fans want Newton now.

Bert102176
02-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't be pissed if they drafted him, wouldn't be surprised either, but would rather have AJ Green or Von Miller

cgbm
02-12-2011, 08:14 PM
So do you think Clausen would have been drafted lower than the middle of the 2nd rnd last year without the buzz from Kiper?

i dont think kiper had anything to do it. and i dont think he will with Cam.
clausen and Cam arent comparable. im saying that the fact that there is now a video out of Cam's workout will deff create buzz in the scouting world. and all interested scouts are looking at it for sure. and that helps especially when he performed in it the way he did.
may have been a set up workout but he did well and it will show to the scouts. i dont know if it will effect anything but im sure it doesnt hurt to be out there on a video performing well

better days
02-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Due to league rules... scouts weren't allowed to attend the workout. It's not like Cam's people said... "NO SCOUTS ALLOWED"...

Cam's media workout did exactly what they wanted.... it got his name out there and got media people gushing about him. Check out the Poll on the other bills board... almost 70% of fans want Newton now.

Well that just says a lot about the football knowledge of the people on that board IMO. I am happy to be at the Zone myself.

better days
02-13-2011, 09:39 AM
i dont think kiper had anything to do it. and i dont think he will with Cam.
clausen and Cam arent comparable. im saying that the fact that there is now a video out of Cam's workout will deff create buzz in the scouting world. and all interested scouts are looking at it for sure. and that helps especially when he performed in it the way he did.
may have been a set up workout but he did well and it will show to the scouts. i dont know if it will effect anything but im sure it doesnt hurt to be out there on a video performing well

I agree that it won't hurt him but I don't see it helping him either. Scouts will look at game film & watch him live at the combine & his pro day. That is what they will judge him on along with the wonderlic & interviews.

cgbm
02-13-2011, 02:02 PM
I agree that it won't hurt him but I don't see it helping him either. Scouts will look at game film & watch him live at the combine & his pro day. That is what they will judge him on along with the wonderlic & interviews.

oh god here he goes with the wonderlic again....

i think it absolutely helps him.

with the very very competative field of scouting i highly doubt that they arent looking at every inch of this film. they are looking at anything and everything that is available to them. so in that respect it absolutely helped.

but to be honest, we all know none of this matters since its all about the wonderlic.

feldspar
02-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Jamarcus Russell could throw the ball like a god too.....

I wanna know if he can learn to read coverages.

Exactly what I was going to say about Russell's media day. People were saying that it was the best they'd ever seen, too.

Media day means nothing. I really don't see the point.

feldspar
02-13-2011, 06:08 PM
I also don't care how fast a player can run, how high he can jump, how much he can bench-press, how well he can run an obstacle course, or jump through hoops, tires, or whatever.

I care how he can play football in real situations.

There are other athletes that can do this silly exercises better WAY better than football players. It's about football. Can they play football? That's the only question. Interviews are a necessary part of the process, but being good at an interview doesn't mean you are good at what you are interviewing for.

As far as I'm concerned, the vast majority of the things you look for in a draft pick have already happened. I'm not a big fan of these plastic events. I think they don't mean much at all.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-13-2011, 06:29 PM
anyone listen to russell speak, he sounds like mckelvin drunk, i knew he would bust. newton is waaaaayyy smarter, and makes more pinpoint throws along with anticipating coverage which is huge as a qb...

YardRat
02-13-2011, 06:38 PM
I also don't care how fast a player can run, how high he can jump, how much he can bench-press, how well he can run an obstacle course, or jump through hoops, tires, or whatever.

There are other athletes that can do this silly exercises better WAY better than football players. It's about football. Can they play football? That's the only question. Interviews are a necessary part of the process, but being good at an interview doesn't mean you are good at what you are interviewing for.

As far as I'm concerned, the vast majority of the things you look for in a draft pick have already happened. I'm not a big fan of these plastic events. I think they don't mean much at all.

:clap:

Figster
02-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Speed, strength, agility, Its all part of the equation and while I agree that most of the things you look for in a draft pick have already happened the media workout served its purpose.

Standing in Cam Newtons shoes you might feel differently...