is there anything that stops Buffalo from writing "Hockeytown" on the ice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

is there anything that stops Buffalo from writing "Hockeytown" on the ice?

just curious, does detroit have some reason to have "hockeytown" on their ice? Could we just put it on there if we wanted?
  • DrGraves
    • Mar 2008

Re: is there anything that stops Buffalo from writing "Hockeytown" on the ice?

our zero cups probably doesn't help your case.

Comment

• JD
      Sabres Zone
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DrGraves
      our zero cups probably doesn't help your case.
      How does that have anything to do with being "Hockeytown"?

If anything, the fact that our fans still show up after zero cups is something to be damn proud of.
      “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• G Wolly
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus
        just curious, does detroit have some reason to have "hockeytown" on their ice? Could we just put it on there if we wanted?
        Well, for one thing, they're one of the original six.

And they also have a better team than we do.

P.S. when will people learn how to use the internet?

"Hockeytown" is one of several nicknames for the city of Detroit, Michigan, (ie. Motor City and City of Champions) which arose in 1996 as the result of a marketing campaign by the city's NHL franchise, the Detroit Red Wings in an attempt to economically capitalize on a phrase already in common usage by attaching it to their logo. The term still remains in common usage to identify several locations across the US, including but not limited to Warroad, and St. Paul, Minnesota.
        Last edited by G Wolly; 02-11-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• TMu11
          • Mar 2010

I'd rather have "Toronto Sucks" painted on
          After Every Dark Night Comes a Brighter Day

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

i wish i went to G Wolly Institution of Internet use. It was a simple question. They are a self declared hockeytown and i didn't think it refers to championship.

I think there are probably 4-5 NHL cities that are hockey towns, where kids grow up playing the game and the games actually matter to the town even when the team stinks.

It would also be a great way to just ruffle some feathers. I for one would welcome seeing it whether a google search declares detroit's marketing team jumped on it first. Screw em. We are a hockey town.

Comment

• The King
              Without me it's just Awe so
              • Jun 2004

Boston is called the Hub of Hockey... there's a legitimate argument that Boston is Hockeytown, with HockeyEast here. I would say every year 4 of the best teams in the nation are in the area.
              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
              It was all
              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota and to a lesser extent, New York are the main places in the US where hockey is big.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

We paint "We wish it was still football season" and "SEC Country" on the ice down here in Atlanta.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    We paint "We wish it was still football season" and "SEC Country" on the ice down here in Atlanta.
                    As well as "My first cousin is smoking hot"
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
                      As well as "My first cousin is smoking hot"
                      I think every team from DC south needs the following painted on the ice:

"if a player crosses this line before the puck, it's offsides" next to the blue line

and

"if a player shoots the puck from the other end past this line, it's icing" at the end line.

Then maybe the "fans" would stop looking around confused after every whistle.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• rbochan
                        Zamboni Driver
                        • Jun 2008

Mike Grier is never offside. That's because the blue line knows not to cross him.
                        ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
                        it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
                          As well as "My first cousin/second wife is smoking hot"
                          fixed?

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Actually, Mike Grier is never offsides because he's always two steps behind the play.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              Actually, Mike Grier is never offsides because he's always two steps behind the play.
                              I disagree.

He leads the Sabres in breakaways this year.

Of course that is because the other team finds that to be entertainment.

And you ***** about Stafford not scoring on a breakaway............

I don't Grier could score on an empty net breakaway.
                              Originally posted by mysticsoto
                              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

Working...
                              X