PDA

View Full Version : is there anything that stops Buffalo from writing "Hockeytown" on the ice?

trapezeus
02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
just curious, does detroit have some reason to have "hockeytown" on their ice? Could we just put it on there if we wanted?

DrGraves
02-10-2011, 05:18 PM
our zero cups probably doesn't help your case.

JD
02-10-2011, 10:34 PM
our zero cups probably doesn't help your case.
How does that have anything to do with being "Hockeytown"?

If anything, the fact that our fans still show up after zero cups is something to be damn proud of.

G Wolly
02-11-2011, 01:30 AM
just curious, does detroit have some reason to have "hockeytown" on their ice? Could we just put it on there if we wanted?

Well, for one thing, they're one of the original six.

And they also have a better team than we do.

P.S. when will people learn how to use the internet?

"Hockeytown" is one of several nicknames for the city of Detroit, Michigan, (ie. Motor City and City of Champions) which arose in 1996 as the result of a marketing campaign by the city's NHL franchise, the Detroit Red Wings in an attempt to economically capitalize on a phrase already in common usage by attaching it to their logo. The term still remains in common usage to identify several locations across the US, including but not limited to Warroad, and St. Paul, Minnesota.

TMu11
02-11-2011, 05:07 AM
I'd rather have "Toronto Sucks" painted on

trapezeus
02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
i wish i went to G Wolly Institution of Internet use. It was a simple question. They are a self declared hockeytown and i didn't think it refers to championship.

I think there are probably 4-5 NHL cities that are hockey towns, where kids grow up playing the game and the games actually matter to the town even when the team stinks.

It would also be a great way to just ruffle some feathers. I for one would welcome seeing it whether a google search declares detroit's marketing team jumped on it first. Screw em. We are a hockey town.

The King
02-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Boston is called the Hub of Hockey... there's a legitimate argument that Boston is Hockeytown, with HockeyEast here. I would say every year 4 of the best teams in the nation are in the area.

chernobylwraiths
02-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota and to a lesser extent, New York are the main places in the US where hockey is big.

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
We paint "We wish it was still football season" and "SEC Country" on the ice down here in Atlanta.

Dr. Lecter
02-11-2011, 12:15 PM
We paint "We wish it was still football season" and "SEC Country" on the ice down here in Atlanta.
As well as "My first cousin is smoking hot"

OpIv37
02-11-2011, 12:27 PM

I think every team from DC south needs the following painted on the ice:

"if a player crosses this line before the puck, it's offsides" next to the blue line

and

"if a player shoots the puck from the other end past this line, it's icing" at the end line.

Then maybe the "fans" would stop looking around confused after every whistle.

rbochan
02-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Mike Grier is never offside. That's because the blue line knows not to cross him.

trapezeus
02-11-2011, 12:36 PM
As well as "My first cousin/second wife is smoking hot"

fixed?

OpIv37
02-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Actually, Mike Grier is never offsides because he's always two steps behind the play.

Dr. Lecter
02-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Actually, Mike Grier is never offsides because he's always two steps behind the play.
I disagree.

He leads the Sabres in breakaways this year.

Of course that is because the other team finds that to be entertainment.

And you ***** about Stafford not scoring on a breakaway............

I don't Grier could score on an empty net breakaway.

chernobylwraiths
02-11-2011, 12:56 PM

The word you are looking for is think, ironic isn't it?

DraftBoy
02-11-2011, 01:05 PM

If she's hot, she's hot.

OpIv37
02-11-2011, 01:09 PM
I disagree.

He leads the Sabres in breakaways this year.

Of course that is because the other team finds that to be entertainment.

And you ***** about Stafford not scoring on a breakaway............

Grier is done physically. He gets breakaways because of his instincts, especially on the PK and PP. You can literally watch him react and start moving into position two steps ahead of everyone else.

The problem is that, at this point in his career, he is two steps slower than everyone else. So most of the time they catch up before he can do any damage. And yes, he does suck on breakaways.

If someone like Ennis had Grier's instincts, he'd probably score 50 goals.

Dr. Lecter
02-11-2011, 01:10 PM
The point was more sarcastic than anything - the worst breakaway guy on the team leads the team in breakaways.

G Wolly
02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
I for one would welcome seeing it whether a google search declares detroit's marketing team jumped on it first. Screw em. We are a hockey town.

Hockeytown and Hockey Town are generic words used in common practice throughout the United States and Canada to identify any town, city or community that has a history and reputation of participating in the sport of hockey. The general public does not recognize the secondary meaning of this phrase or combination of words to indicate one exclusive place, but rather understands it to identify a variety of geographical locations which specialize in hockey.

Warroad, Minnesota has been officially called Hockeytown, USA for over 50 years (prior to the Red Wings' use of the name). Michael Farber, in a December 4, 2007 article published in Sports Illustrated, searched for additional cities that could also be called "Hockeytown" in the USA. Farber's list included focuses on Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Buffalo, New York, and Saint Paul, Minnesota before declaring St. Paul "America's new Hockeytown." Ross McKeon of Yahoo Sports concluded the same in his article "New Hockeytown, USA", where he wrote "Saint Paul, Minn., home of the Minnesota Wild, fits the bill."

SabreEleven
02-13-2011, 10:32 AM
The word you are looking for is think, ironic isn't it?

The definition.

SabreEleven
02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Can we have "Hockey Heaven" on the ice now?

trapezeus
02-22-2011, 12:58 PM
i thought the same thing when black said it. You can have your hockey town, detroit. I think we've one upped you.

SabreEleven
02-22-2011, 01:06 PM
I feel t-shirts coming on.

trapezeus
02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
maybe we should hold the hockey heaven until the stanley cup winning, because i'm pretty sure the party in buffalo, during hte summer of a stanley cup win would pretty much show the world how a party is done right.

also, did you guys here that gerbe drilled something into the red eye of the buffalo logo at center ice today. anyone have any clue as to what it could be?

Dr. Lecter
02-22-2011, 01:18 PM
maybe we should hold the hockey heaven until the stanley cup winning, because i'm pretty sure the party in buffalo, during hte summer of a stanley cup win would pretty much show the world how a party is done right.

also, did you guys here that gerbe drilled something into the red eye of the buffalo logo at center ice today. anyone have any clue as to what it could be?

1. I am pretty sure that when they win the Cup, the city will be out of control and that it will not be how a party is done right.

2. hear

trapezeus
02-22-2011, 01:20 PM
i have total faith that buffalo will be totally in control and not torch the city. it will be a total love fest of people being quite cheery. try calling me mr. negative now!

2. bastarde

G Wolly
02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm gonna wait until he gets rid of Quinn, Connolly, etc. before I get too excited.

I'm anxious to see what happens, no doubt, but until he does something right, I'm not impressed.

SabreEleven
02-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm gonna wait until he gets rid of Quinn, Connolly, etc. before I get too excited.

I'm anxious to see what happens, no doubt, but until he does something right, I'm not impressed.

have you not been paying attention? Quinn is gone, it's been well publicized.

G Wolly
02-22-2011, 02:32 PM
have you not been paying attention? Quinn is gone, it's been well publicized.

:sadwalk: Sorry, I forgot. :sadwalk:

But still. There's some player moves he has to make.

JD
02-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Gerbe drilled a four-leaf clover into the eye of the Buffalo today, he was the closest one that represented a leprechaun.

Dr. Lecter
02-22-2011, 02:41 PM
:sadwalk: Sorry, I forgot. :sadwalk:

But still. There's some player moves he has to make.
There are player moves that would be nice, but nothing has to be done now. Guys like Timmy are gone anyway and a guy like Hecht can be moved in the offseason.

cablesabres68
02-22-2011, 04:35 PM
we should put HOCKEY HEAVEN on the ice

G Wolly
02-22-2011, 05:04 PM

We should repeat posts from the same page too!

JD
02-22-2011, 07:50 PM
GREAT idea!

I'm all in for that!!! :clap: :jig: :crush:

chernobylwraiths
02-23-2011, 05:43 AM
The season tickets a couple years ago came with a logo "city of hockey".

TMu11
02-23-2011, 06:28 AM

Dozerdog
02-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Pegula Town!

Who's with me?

G Wolly
02-23-2011, 01:52 PM

We should post the same repeats on page!

Too!

SabreEleven
03-23-2011, 08:10 PM
http://www.hockeyheavenbuffalo.com/

JD
03-25-2011, 01:41 AM
We would be the laughing stock of the league if we put Hockey Heaven on our ice. Maybe Hockey Heaven, USA.