PDA

View Full Version : QB on the Bills radar

X-Era
02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/02/11/carucci-qb-on-bills-radar/

“Not so sure that the Bills are thinking their QB position is settled (http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1391). From everything I hear, GM Buddy Nix likes Cam Newton a great deal, and the Bills might very well be inclined to take him in the No. 3 slot"

Beebe's Kid
02-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Vic also went on to say that addressing the defensive line would be high on the priority list as well, which is very much expected come late April. He also mentioned tight end.

Then he went on to say LT is a position of need.

ddaryl
02-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I don' t think anyone thinks our QB situation is settled. We just have a player we can work with for a couple years while another is brought along slowly.

Newton could end up being big time trade bait for a team.

Commissioner
02-11-2011, 04:18 PM
My source says Nix does like Cam but not at #3.

kingJofNYC
02-11-2011, 04:33 PM
In one of his NFL chats Carucci also said we're switching back to a 4-3, even after Nix came out and said we're staying 3-4.

More hot air from the media. I'm sure Nix likes, and is looking into, a lot of players, really doesn't mean a thing at this stage.

psubills62
02-11-2011, 04:47 PM
It was also reported that we loved Tebow, and I have little doubt that we did. But that doesn't mean we were prepared to take him at #9 last year, and I still don't think we'll be taking Newton at #3.

Night Train
02-11-2011, 04:51 PM
In reality - " That should make Shanny/Snyder call and offer us the moon ! "<!-- / message -->

TacklingDummy
02-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Wait until next year to draft a QB. The Bills should be in the position to draft a QB high next year regardless if they pick a QB or not with the 3rd pick this year.

X-Era
02-11-2011, 05:03 PM
It was also reported that we loved Tebow, and I have little doubt that we did. But that doesn't mean we were prepared to take him at #9 last year, and I still don't think we'll be taking Newton at #3.Who knows.

What I do know is that they will be taking one of the top 3 guys on their draft board. That board may or may not look like what any of us, or the media thinks.

And I could easily see the Bills rating a QB much higher on their list than other teams, some fans, and even the media does.

Put it this way, the Bills draft board may not look like any of our draft boards.

mikemac2001
02-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Wait until next year to draft a QB. The Bills should be in the position to draft a QB high next year regardless if the pick a QB or not with the 3rd pick this year.

Lock up this D

let fitz show what he can do with another year and not having to put 30 up a game

if we win we win if we lose draft a QB and move on.

X-Era
02-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Lock up this D

let fitz show what he can do with another year and not having to put 30 up a game

if we win we win if we lose draft a QB and move on.

We've been waiting for a permanent QB solution for more than a decade and haven't found it. Fitz has far from proven he's it. We have a high enough pick this year to get the best of the bunch, and at least 2 more years of Gailey to develop him. If the Bills deem a guy worthy, make the move and get going.

YardRat
02-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Carrucci and Kelly are playing the game, on the Bills' behalf.

I hope none of you really hoping for the shiny new toy are too disappointed when the #3 pick isn't a QB.

Commissioner
02-11-2011, 06:55 PM
As much as I want a QB at #3.... i would bet money that the Bills will take AJ Green.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-11-2011, 07:24 PM
As much as I want a QB at #3.... i would bet money that the Bills will take AJ Green.
Which could possibly be the WORST plausible move for the team. Of all this team's needs... wide receiver ranks near the bottom of the list.

Commissioner
02-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Which could possibly be the WORST plausible move for the team. Of all this team's needs... wide receiver ranks near the bottom of the list.

Agree... but they said need is not the issue at #3. They want a franchise impact player and AJ Green fits that bill.

Based on the CJ Spiller pick last year... the Bills are going to take the guy they feel has the most talent, and i think that's going to be AJ Green.

Extremebillsfan247
02-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Wait until next year to draft a QB. The Bills should be in the position to draft a QB high next year regardless if the pick a QB or not with the 3rd pick this year.lol Good luck with that dream. We play the afc west, plus Cincy, Tennessee, and Washington. Against that group its very unlikely that we will play badly enough to even pick this high again. I wouldn't count on it.

Ingtar33
02-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Then he went on to say LT is a position of need.

it is

both tackle positions are needs.

Personally i'd like to see us grab a stud LT, then move the oft injured Bell to right tackle, where i think he'd do better.

we might as well give up on Nix if he goes WR at no.3 this year.

tampabay25690
02-11-2011, 08:53 PM
We've been waiting for a permanent QB solution for more than a decade and haven't found it. Fitz has far from proven he's it. We have a high enough pick this year to get the best of the bunch, and at least 2 more years of Gailey to develop him. If the Bills deem a guy worthy, make the move and get going.

I couldn't agree more........
I really think they will really pull the trigger on CAM at #3 if he is there......

BillsWin
02-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I really like the Von Miller kid or the Dareus kid better than Newton to be honest.

tampabay25690
02-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I really like the Von Miller kid or the Dareus kid better than Newton to be honest.

Wish we could have all 3....

BillsWin
02-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Wish we could have all 3....

Throw in AJ Green... :sadwalk:

X-Era
02-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Quick question.

Let's just talk about the #3 pick and the one player we can get.

What does the best defensive player at 3 potentially do to our #24 in the league rank on defense? Just that one player. How much of an impact can that player make to the teams fortunes? Go ahead and assume that player becomes top 10 at their position.

How much of a difference would a top 10 QB make on the team?

tampabay25690
02-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Quick question.

What does the best defensive player at 3 potentially do to our #24 in the league rank on defense? Just that one player. How much of an impact can that player make to the teams fortunes? Go ahead and assume that player becomes top 10 at their position.

I think most will think 1 player a DL guy can help right away...
DL guys usually take time to develop in the NFL.

If you can grab a franchise TYPE player you take him.......
Right now I have no idea who I want at #3....................

X-Era
02-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I think most will think 1 player a DL guy can help right away...
DL guys usually take time to develop in the NFL.

If you can grab a franchise TYPE player you take him.......
Right now I have no idea who I want at #3....................MY point is this. A top 10 DE or DT on this team may move us to 15 in the league in defense just from that one player. But what would a top 10 QB mean? Playoffs?

tampabay25690
02-11-2011, 09:36 PM
MY point is this. A top 10 DE or DT on this team may move us to 15 in the league in defense just from that one player. But what would a top 10 QB mean? Playoffs?

1 DL player will not get us in the top 15....
What did SUH do for Detroit in overall defense????

Dont get me wrong SUH is special......

QB's win games period.......
We have to decide if there is a QB that can be that game changer for the Bills....

X-Era
02-11-2011, 09:44 PM
1 DL player will not get us in the top 15....
What did SUH do for Detroit in overall defense????

Dont get me wrong SUH is special......

QB's win games period.......
We have to decide if there is a QB that can be that game changer for the Bills....No issue drafting a top DL at 3, but agree, a stud QB means more to the team long term. And neither may do much in the 1st year.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-11-2011, 09:57 PM
cam newton has the character risk, and weird offense risk, but the guy has all the tools, seems somewhat smart and its not like he has to come in and start. its tempting...

he was obviously the best college player, period

Beebe's Kid
02-11-2011, 10:07 PM
In reality - " That should make Shanny/Snyder call and offer us the moon ! "<!-- / message --> http://danbrokamp.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/despicable-me-movie_gru-moon.jpg

better days
02-11-2011, 10:10 PM
I heard an interview on The Shredd & Ragan Show with Chan Gailey recently that indicates the Bills may take a QB. Chan said he thought the Bills could win with Fitz but that Fitz is not getting any younger. He said if the Bills can find a Franchise QB to help the team win for the next 10 years, they have to draft him.

Beebe's Kid
02-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Quick question.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think that Fitz can develop into a top 10 guy before one of the guys in the draft.

I know, I am just a blind homer, that doesn't know how to look at the game tape. That's fine. I know that as much as I can type about it, that it is not going to influence the pick at all. I am also pretty sure that Fitzy will get another year.

I don't think that a to DL, alone, improves our D to top 10. I do think that the maturation of the guys from last year, a healthy Merriman, and a few FA pickups, along with a 22 year old that is going to anchor the D line for years, and we're cooking with fire.

We get the third pick, but there are 7 picks after that, as well. There will be FA this year too, I will say. They will get a deal done in early March, and won't lock out. So the opportunity to improve this team will be there.

I just don't think there is a QB available that I would rather have making decisions under center, more than I trust that Fitzy will improve upon what we were shown this year.

Also, Ing...I agree on moving Bell to RT if we were able to snag a LT. I would rather do that via FA, if it means moving Bell. Bell started last year with an injury and played all year...I don't know how he qualifies for oft-injured...actually I would file him under "one bad mother shut yo mouf," but that's just the blind homer in me talking.

whkfc
02-12-2011, 12:57 AM
My source says Nix does like Cam but not at #3.
Ive heard the exact same thing

YardRat
02-12-2011, 04:14 AM
MY point is this. A top 10 DE or DT on this team may move us to 15 in the league in defense just from that one player. But what would a top 10 QB mean? Playoffs?

There isn't a single player anywhere at one position that we can bring in that means playoffs, especially at QB.

Run and stop the run starts in the trenches, not behind center, and that's how you get to the post-season.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 06:55 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think that Fitz can develop into a top 10 guy before one of the guys in the draft.

I know, I am just a blind homer, that doesn't know how to look at the game tape. That's fine. I know that as much as I can type about it, that it is not going to influence the pick at all. I am also pretty sure that Fitzy will get another year.

I don't think that a to DL, alone, improves our D to top 10. I do think that the maturation of the guys from last year, a healthy Merriman, and a few FA pickups, along with a 22 year old that is going to anchor the D line for years, and we're cooking with fire.

We get the third pick, but there are 7 picks after that, as well. There will be FA this year too, I will say. They will get a deal done in early March, and won't lock out. So the opportunity to improve this team will be there.

I just don't think there is a QB available that I would rather have making decisions under center, more than I trust that Fitzy will improve upon what we were shown this year.

Also, Ing...I agree on moving Bell to RT if we were able to snag a LT. I would rather do that via FA, if it means moving Bell. Bell started last year with an injury and played all year...I don't know how he qualifies for oft-injured...actually I would file him under "one bad mother shut yo mouf," but that's just the blind homer in me talking.I will have to just disagree on whether a QB can become a top 10 guy in this league from this draft.

As for the rest, the concept is not whether we need a better defense, we do. It's not whether we could use a stud DE or DT, we could. It's that if we draft a stud QB as opposed to a stud DL from this draft, the QB will mean more to our success.

Let me put it another way. If the Bills have both Newton (for example) and Bowers fall to them at 3, and the Bills feel both will be top 10 players at their positions in a few years, I could easily see them taking a QB.

And that type of scenario could easily play out.

The argument to not draft a QB because we need a DL to build a better defense doesn't hold water, one player can't do that on defense. We need several more players.

Yasgur's Farm
02-12-2011, 07:45 AM
In reality - " That should make Shanny/Snyder call and offer us the moon ! "<!-- / message -->Gotta be nothing less than the moon... It would take the Redskins entire draft and then some to move from 10 to 3.

tampabay25690
02-12-2011, 08:17 AM
No issue drafting a top DL at 3, but agree, a stud QB means more to the team long term. And neither may do much in the 1st year.

I agree........
QB will be a start next year and not in 2011...
Thats ok...
I think the main thing that could HURT the Bills the most is the free agent period this year if we don't have one.
I think if there is a Free agent period the Bills would be active in getting some veterans in here right away.....
I believe in the way they draft and I like the direction this franchise is taking.....

TacklingDummy
02-12-2011, 08:28 AM
lol Good luck with that dream. We play the afc west, plus Cincy, Tennessee, and Washington. Against that group its very unlikely that we will play badly enough to even pick this high again. I wouldn't count on it.
Your point?

Raiders>>Bills
Chargers>>Bills
KC>>Bills
Denver-Bills: Coin Flip
Bengals-Bills: Coin Flip
Tenn-Bills: Coin Flip
Wash>Bills
2x Fins-Bills: coin flip
2x Jets>>Bills
2xPats>>Bills

Don't forget the Bills are a bad team.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 08:32 AM
I agree........
QB will be a start next year and not in 2011...
Thats ok...
I think the main thing that could HURT the Bills the most is the free agent period this year if we don't have one.
I think if there is a Free agent period the Bills would be active in getting some veterans in here right away.....
I believe in the way they draft and I like the direction this franchise is taking.....Totally agree that not having FA before the draft could change the options. The logical thought is that teams may shift to drafting on need more in this situation. However, I could see a team like the Bills who don;t plan to break the bank on any FA, looking at it like they will get second tier vets at a few positions, which means it doesn't matter as much for us.

Put it this way, the Bills aren't likely to sign a vet QB in FA, we have one. So the draft before FA doesn't affect the QB situation. We planned to draft one and not sign one. I think it's more of an issue at LB where the draft class is weaker than usual. We probably wanted to address this in FA and maybe again in the draft. Without FA, we may feel we have to come out of the draft with at least one legit answer rather than just a project. I would say that the DL situation is the same except that the depth is so good in this draft, we may feel we can get a quality guy to throw into the rotation out of round 1 which may make us not so hellbent on drafting one in round 1. I don't think a DL from FA is out of the question, just a bit more unlikely than LB.

And in the end, the Bills will realize that FA will happen eventually and that they will be able to fill a few needs from FA as well... they just won't be able to predict what they will need before the draft but rather after they know what they got from the draft.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Your point?

Raiders>>Bills
Chargers>>Bills
KC>>Bills
Wash>Bills
2x Jets>>Bills
2xPats>>Bills

Don't forget the Bills are a bad team.So, your banking on us winning 4 or less next year? I mean without another top 5 pick, the chances to draft a sure-fire franchise QB (viewed that way before the draft) drop off to very slim odds. Why will we not be left with guys with at that aren't quite sure-fire like we are now? Luck is going #1, and we won't be picking there. Gailey's ability to motivate his team will give us 3 wins alone most likely and put us out of the overall pick. So Luck's out. If Barkley declares and is as sure-fire as many think, he could go top 5.

I guess I'd like to see your prediction on record, where you think we will draft, and who you think will be there at our spot at QB. Moreover, I think the Bills should be going through that logic before they simply disregard QB's at 3.

I'll take it one step farther. This thought process could go like this: This year we want defense so bad that we don't even look at QB and assume we can just draft all we need next year. Next year roles around and we find out that Barkley never progressed so decision making is a question, Foles has some question that keeps him only mid 1st, and Luck is going #1. So in this scenario, next years class has a similar feel to this years class where we are picking at say 6 and Luck is out of the question and none of the rest (in some fans minds) are worthy of a top 10 pick. What then? Put it off another year? Gailey would be going into his last year under his current contract, Fitz is a free agent and after two non-playoff years and lets say little improvement from him, we have to pay him starting QB money?

ct bills fan
02-12-2011, 08:39 AM
it is

both tackle positions are needs.

Personally i'd like to see us grab a stud LT, then move the oft injured Bell to right tackle, where i think he'd do better.

we might as well give up on Nix if he goes WR at no.3 this year.

ingtar - respect your knowledge but disagree here. Aren't RTs generally better run blockers and LTs better pass blockers? Bells much better pass blocking than Run blocking. Give him a healthy offseason to get stronger and I think he'll be fine at LT. He allowed very few sacks this year, a year he only had limited practices because of his knee recovery.

Extremebillsfan247
02-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Picking him at 3 would mean the Bills think he can play, and I would immediately start wondering what they saw in him that guys like Mike Mayock didn't. Mayock thinks Newton could be another Jamarcus Russell. I hope for our sakes it turns out not to be true if the Bills do in fact draft him at such a high pick. The consequences for this franchise would be nothing short of disastrous. JMO

X-Era
02-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Picking him at 3 would mean the Bills think he can play, and I would immediately start wondering what they saw in him that guys like Mike Mayock didn't. Mayock thinks Newton could be another Jamarcus Russell. I hope for our sakes it turns out not to be true if the Bills do in fact draft him at such a high pick. The consequences for this franchise would be nothing short of disastrous. JMOHold up. Where did Mayock say he thinks he's another Russell? Mayock had nothing but good things to say about his physical abilities but made a comment how he goes to the primary guy or runs. To me, he hasn't watched him close enough yet. I think he will watch more tape and see what I see. That Newton is quietly much better about reading defenses than he gets credit for. To be honest, I think he needs to do more homework. And Mayock is one opinion, many others disagree. Beyond that, if you listen to Mayocks words he admits that he hasn't gone through the tape in depth on Gabbert "need to see some more tape on him" was his exact words.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-senior-bowl/09000d5d81dcff1d/Mayock-on-QB-class

I think there are some things you can pickup right away about a guy. I think Mayock may be assuming that a running threat like Newton in the spread will either go to the primary guy or run. It's a logical assumption. But when he looks at more games, play by play, he may see his does read defenses more than he thought... I did. The initial observations from Mayock and others are valid, but if your looking for them to provide you with the entire in depth story, I think your more likely to get that much closer to draft time after they have looked at a lot more information.

Nighthawk
02-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Wait until next year to draft a QB. The Bills should be in the position to draft a QB high next year regardless if they pick a QB or not with the 3rd pick this year.

Isn't that what we said last year...and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that...

ct bills fan
02-12-2011, 08:52 AM
very good DT/DEs can be acquired in free agency; only once in a while (brees) is a franchise QB acquired this way. If there is a FA period this year, it should indicate the direction the bills are going in at #3. If they grab a DL, like that guy from Miami then green, Gabber, Newton or a LB are much more likely. I don't think Peterson is on their radar - "stiff hips" at the cb position is deadly. I firmly believe if the Bills think either Gabbert or Newton are a franchise QB they will take him. Obviously nobody knows there thinking. Newton intrigues me more, but, if Gabbert runs a 4.6 (which he claims he will) his intrigue factor skyrockets. Drafting Newton would allow the Bills the instantly uses him in a wildcat formation. Imagine how good Spiller could be in that formation with the threat of Newton running/passing. It could exactly like the NYJ used this year but Newton would be much more of a threat than the guy the Jets used at QB. Gailey would love this option and it would make the Bills Offense twice as hard to prepare for. I guess I'm campaigning for Newton a bit here, but, I would only take him if they were fairly certain he could develop into a full time qb, not just a wildcat one. Any way you look at it, the #3 pick will be very intriguing. I will be at the draft again this year to watch it. If they don't take a qb at #3, one of the tops ones (locker??) will invariably fall to their 2nd rd pick. I say the bills have 2 choices here (darius or Newton), taken into account Fairley is taken ahead of them.

tampabay25690
02-12-2011, 08:53 AM
So, your banking on us winning 4 or less next year? I mean without another top 5 pick, the chances to draft a sure-fire franchise QB (viewed that way before the draft) drop off to very slim odds. Why will we not be left with guys with at that aren't quite sure-fire like we are now? Luck is going #1, and we won't be picking there. Gailey's ability to motivate his team will give us 3 wins alone most likely and put us out of the overall pick. So Luck's out. If Barkley declares and is as sure-fire as many think, he could go top 5.

I guess I'd like to see your prediction on record, where you think we will draft, and who you think will be there at our spot at QB. Moreover, I think the Bills should be going through that logic before they simply disregard QB's at 3.

I'll take it one step farther. This thought process could go like this: This year we want defense so bad that we don't even look at QB and assume we can just draft all we need next year. Next year roles around and we find out that Barkley never progressed so decision making is a question, Foles has some question that keeps him only mid 1st, and Luck is going #1. So in this scenario, next years class has a similar feel to this years class where we are picking at say 6 and Luck is out of the question and none of the rest (in some fans minds) are worthy of a top 10 pick. What then? Put it off another year? Gailey would be going into his last year under his current contract, Fitz is a free agent and after two non-playoff years and lets say little improvement from him, we have to pay him starting QB money?

2nd year for Gailey and NIX.....
They havent gotten there GUY at QB yet......
It will be very hard for them to pass on CAM at #3 because of that scenario...
And to be honest Buffalo would be the best fit by far then any other team in the NFL....Just think what Chan could do with a guy like Cam Newton....
Look what Chan made FITZ last year.......

Extremebillsfan247
02-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Your point?

Raiders>>Bills
Chargers>>Bills
KC>>Bills
Wash>Bills
2x Jets>>Bills
2xPats>>Bills

Don't forget the Bills are a bad team. and as bad as the Bills may be, they can beat Oakland, Denver, Cincy, Tenn, KC(fluke), and Washington on their worst day. Even the Chargers could be a question mark. We beat them with Jauron as a HC with Trent Edwards at QB, lol come on. Everyone on the planet that follows football accept for the few doom and gloomer Bills fans know that the AFC west is arguably the weakest division in the NFL. We could lose out to our division this coming year and still may not finish with a 4-12 record by years end. By comparison to this last years schedule, next season's schedule will be a cakewalk. It's easily a 6 win schedule or better even for a bad Bills team.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 09:16 AM
2nd year for Gailey and NIX.....
They havent gotten there GUY at QB yet......
It will be very hard for them to pass on CAM at #3 because of that scenario...
And to be honest Buffalo would be the best fit by far then any other team in the NFL....Just think what Chan could do with a guy like Cam Newton....
Look what Chan made FITZ last year.......Could not agree more. Chan will not be interested in a running threat? He won't like Cam or Gabberts familiarity with the spread? He won't think he can develop a good ability to spread the ball around like he did with Fitz? I think Gailey will be very confident in what he can mold one of these two into and I think he will be excited about what either may bring to our offense. I also think he will feel this year is the right point to do it with at least a half of a year to have Fitz run the team... the rook doesn't have to start now.

Commissioner
02-12-2011, 09:45 AM
So, your banking on us winning 4 or less next year? I mean without another top 5 pick, the chances to draft a sure-fire franchise QB (viewed that way before the draft) drop off to very slim odds. Why will we not be left with guys with at that aren't quite sure-fire like we are now? Luck is going #1, and we won't be picking there. Gailey's ability to motivate his team will give us 3 wins alone most likely and put us out of the overall pick. So Luck's out. If Barkley declares and is as sure-fire as many think, he could go top 5.

Completely agree.... this is my problem with the people that talk about next years QB class. Who knows what next years class is going to look like and where we'll be drafting. We are in a position to draft the best prospect in this draft... if they think one of the QB's in this draft has franchise potential... might as well select him.

New GM's and Head Coach's usually want to build around their "guy" at QB... this is their 2nd draft... you know they will be thinking about drafting a QB.

We can't keep pushing our need for a QB down the road... it's been 15 years since we had a franchise QB. This is a QB driven league... the teams in the playoffs have franchise QB's. The packers just won the superbowl against a good defense without even trying to run the ball.

SABURZFAN
02-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Carrucci and Kelly are playing the game, on the Bills' behalf.

I hope none of you really hoping for the shiny new toy are too disappointed when the #3 pick isn't a QB.

i just want the toy. i don't care if Newton is picked at #3 or not.

better days
02-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Hold up. Where did Mayock say he thinks he's another Russell? Mayock had nothing but good things to say about his physical abilities but made a comment how he goes to the primary guy or runs. To me, he hasn't watched him close enough yet. I think he will watch more tape and see what I see. That Newton is quietly much better about reading defenses than he gets credit for. To be honest, I think he needs to do more homework. And Mayock is one opinion, many others disagree. Beyond that, if you listen to Mayocks words he admits that he hasn't gone through the tape in depth on Gabbert "need to see some more tape on him" was his exact words.

I think there are some things you can pickup right away about a guy. I think Mayock may be assuming that a running threat like Newton in the spread will either go to the primary guy or run. It's a logical assumption. But when he looks at more games, play by play, he may see his does read defenses more than he thought... I did. The initial observations from Mayock and others are valid, but if your looking for them to provide you with the entire in depth story, I think your more likely to get that much closer to draft time after they have looked at a lot more information.

I'm just curious, how many games have you seen Newton play?

better days
02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Completely agree.... this is my problem with the people that talk about next years QB class. Who knows what next years class is going to look like and where we'll be drafting. We are in a position to draft the best prospect in this draft... if they think one of the QB's in this draft has franchise potential... might as well select him.

New GM's and Head Coach's usually want to build around their "guy" at QB... this is their 2nd draft... you know they will be thinking about drafting a QB.

We can't keep pushing our need for a QB down the road... it's been 15 years since we had a franchise QB. This is a QB driven league... the teams in the playoffs have franchise QB's. The packers just won the superbowl against a good defense without even trying to run the ball.

Well, in the last draft, Sam Bradford looks like he could be a franchise QB. The rest of that class does not excite me. I am happy they did not reach for a QB last year. I agree if the Bills think a guy in this draft has franchise potential they should take him but if they do they better be right about him or it will really set the team back.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm just curious, how many games have you seen Newton play?I have watched all but 4 this year.

And you?

X-Era
02-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Kiper comments on Newton and nails it:

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=6112748"/></object>

Extremebillsfan247
02-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Hold up. Where did Mayock say he thinks he's another Russell? Mayock had nothing but good things to say about his physical abilities but made a comment how he goes to the primary guy or runs. To me, he hasn't watched him close enough yet. I think he will watch more tape and see what I see. That Newton is quietly much better about reading defenses than he gets credit for. To be honest, I think he needs to do more homework. And Mayock is one opinion, many others disagree. Beyond that, if you listen to Mayocks words he admits that he hasn't gone through the tape in depth on Gabbert "need to see some more tape on him" was his exact words.

I think there are some things you can pickup right away about a guy. I think Mayock may be assuming that a running threat like Newton in the spread will either go to the primary guy or run. It's a logical assumption. But when he looks at more games, play by play, he may see his does read defenses more than he thought... I did. The initial observations from Mayock and others are valid, but if your looking for them to provide you with the entire in depth story, I think your more likely to get that much closer to draft time after they have looked at a lot more information. Ask Mayock why he didn't show up for the media only work out. His answer might surprise you.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Ask Mayock why he didn't show up for the media only work out. His answer might surprise you.Not at all. He doesn't put any stock into it. I question how much tape he's watched and how closely he's reviewed Newton's ability to read defenses, not why he didn't go to the workout.

Commissioner
02-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Well, in the last draft, Sam Bradford looks like he could be a franchise QB. The rest of that class does not excite me. I am happy they did not reach for a QB last year. I agree if the Bills think a guy in this draft has franchise potential they should take him but if they do they better be right about him or it will really set the team back.

That's how I feel about any guy they draft at #3. Don't blow it.

PTI
02-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Anyone who thinks Fitz is a long term solution, heck, even a short term solution knows very little about the game of football and how important having a good QB is in today's game. Fitz is an average backup at best. Gabbert or Newton, just be right on who is selected, please!!!

Extremebillsfan247
02-12-2011, 11:56 AM
When can we draft this Uconn QB? http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81e418cc/Trick-shot-quarterback?module=HP_spotlight lol

better days
02-12-2011, 11:59 AM
I have watched all but 4 this year.

And you?

I have only seen the SEC Championship & BCS Championship.

Beebe's Kid
02-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Picking him at 3 would mean the Bills think he can play, and I would immediately start wondering what they saw in him that guys like Mike Mayock didn't. Mayock thinks Newton could be another Jamarcus Russell. I hope for our sakes it turns out not to be true if the Bills do in fact draft him at such a high pick. The consequences for this franchise would be nothing short of disastrous. JMO

As loud as the argument gets on message boards, I am pretty sure the last guy that is going to make a decision he is uncomfortable with is Nix.

That being said...one way I could see that happening is Ralph telling him that he has to get the best QB with pick #3. This could be disastrous.

It's a long way until April.

YardRat
02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
I will have to just disagree on whether a QB can become a top 10 guy in this league from this draft.

As for the rest, the concept is not whether we need a better defense, we do. It's not whether we could use a stud DE or DT, we could. It's that if we draft a stud QB as opposed to a stud DL from this draft, the QB will mean more to our success.

Let me put it another way. If the Bills have both Newton (for example) and Bowers fall to them at 3, and the Bills feel both will be top 10 players at their positions in a few years, I could easily see them taking a QB.

And that type of scenario could easily play out.

The argument to not draft a QB because we need a DL to build a better defense doesn't hold water, one player can't do that on defense. We need several more players.

You'll get nowhere on defense if you keep drafting QB's, either.

Build the right way, one step at a time, one player at a time.

psubills62
02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
It's also a good idea to create an illusion of liking a player, especially if "six teams have him clearly at the top of their draft board," which means they may be more willing to trade up.

PromoTheRobot
02-12-2011, 01:07 PM
In reality - " That should make Shanny/Snyder call and offer us the moon ! "<!-- / message -->

Does the Deadskins have any draft picks left to trade us?

PTR

X-Era
02-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I have only seen the SEC Championship & BCS Championship.I scouted some of the Ole Miss game. I don't know if you can watch these or not, whether you have access. But, watch the following plays:

http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=52605&league=NCAAF

1st qtr, 8:48 left
1st qtr, 0:29 seconds left
2nd qtr, 14:35 left
2nd qtr, 9:11 left

Just a quick hit list of plays, from one half of one game, that seem to indicate an ability to go through progressions.

jamze132
02-12-2011, 02:35 PM
The only way Nix is taking a QB at #3 is if he plans on starting him immediately. No team is really in the position to draft someone that high and let him sit and learn. You need to select a guy who can come in immediately and be productive.

I'm not 100% sold on Cam Newton right now but I do like him a lot and wouldn't be upset if he was the pick, as long as it's his team from the get go. We don't need a QB competition in camp. If you select QB at #3, you start him immediately.

Commissioner
02-12-2011, 02:38 PM
The only way Nix is taking a QB at #3 is if he plans on starting him immediately. No team is really in the position to draft someone that high and let him sit and learn. You need to select a guy who can come in immediately and be productive.

I'm not 100% sold on Cam Newton right now but I do like him a lot and wouldn't be upset if he was the pick, as long as it's his team from the get go. We don't need a QB competition in camp. If you select QB at #3, you start him immediately.
You don't start a QB immediately if he's not ready and you have an alternative... you risk damaging him mentally.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 03:03 PM
You don't start a QB immediately if he's not ready and you have an alternative... you risk damaging him mentally.That's exactly it. Rivers, Eli and a few others sat for a bit.

Throwing a guy into the fire when he's not ready can destroy his career. If we draft a QB in teh 1st next year and don't re-sign Fitz, we could be looking at that very scenario.

YardRat
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Eli started 7 games of his rookie season.

jamze132
02-12-2011, 03:11 PM
You don't start a QB immediately if he's not ready and you have an alternative... you risk damaging him mentally.
That's my point. You don't take a QB who isn't ready to play that early.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Eli started 7 games of his rookie season.His first start was in late November, not right out of the gate.

Beebe's Kid
02-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Eli started 7 games of his rookie season.

Don't start with this fact stuff...we need a QB and that's all there is too it. You also don't start one right away, as is proven every year. Rodgers being one big exception...and GB also drafted Brohm in the second round after Rodgers because he didn't look to be what they thought he was. Thought it was a late pick they also drafted Flynn.

Basically just rewrite the facts to suit the argument, and if you act like that is really the truth, well then...it has to be. The only thing that would help perpetuate your point further, would be continual discussion.

TacklingDummy
02-12-2011, 03:15 PM
So, your banking on us winning 4 or less next year?
1 draft and 1 FA period is not going to fix this team. Not banking on 4 wins next season. I doubt they win more than 4.

X-Era
02-12-2011, 03:17 PM
1 draft and 1 FA period is not going to fix this team. Not banking on 4 wins next season. I doubt they win more than 4.So you think we will pick around 3 or 4 again next year? Will then be able to take a QB at 3 or 4?

TacklingDummy
02-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Luck is going #1, and we won't be picking there. Gailey's ability to motivate his team will give us 3 wins alone most likely and put us out of the overall pick. So Luck's out.

Never know.
What if the Bills drafted Newton this year and they do end up with the 1st pick next year. Then what?

TacklingDummy
02-12-2011, 03:20 PM
So you think we will pick around 3 or 4 again next year?

Will then be able to take a QB at 3 or 4?Yes,yes.

Chan and Nix have to think realistically. This is a bad team. It's not a 1 year project. Defense this year, QB next year.

Commissioner
02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes,yes.

Chan and Nix have to think realistically. This is a bad team. It's not a 1 year project. Defense this year, QB next year.
It's pretty rare for a new GM and Head coach to wait until year 3 to grab their franchise guy... especially when a head coach only gets 3 or 4 year contracts to start off with.

Most of the time it's in year 1... either through free agency or the draft.

YardRat
02-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Never know.
What if the Bills drafted Newton this year and they do end up with the 1st pick next year. Then what?

That would be just the Bills fortune.

-Reach for a questionable pick at 3 like Newton because you fall in love with a pretty boy at the glamor position.
-Dareus, Fairley, Bowers, et al all become starters for their teams.
-Bills win 2 games, end up with first pick in the draft with Luck sitting there.
-Pass on Luck, because we have our 'QB of the future'.
-Newton busts, Luck becomes Pro Bowler...and so on and so forth.

Commissioner
02-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Yes,yes.

Why can't you do both through the draft and free agency? No reason to do one at a time.

YardRat
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
It's pretty rare for a new GM and Head coach to wait until year 3 to grab their franchise guy... especially when a head coach only gets 3 or 4 year contracts to start off with.

Most of the time it's in year 1... either through free agency or the draft.

San Diego picked up Rivers in Nix's fifth year with the team, Marty's third.

Commissioner
02-12-2011, 04:48 PM
San Diego picked up Rivers in Nix's fifth year with the team, Marty's third.

Nix wasn't the GM there charged with rebuilding the organization. And the organization wasn't rebuilding. And when Philip Rivers was drafted Brees exploded. That's not a good example.

YardRat
02-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Nix wasn't the GM there charged with rebuilding the organization. And the organization wasn't rebuilding. And when Philip Rivers was drafted Brees exploded. That's not a good example.

I have to disagree with most of this.

Granted, Nix may not have ever had final say in draft choices, but when he got there with Smith and Butler in 2000 the Chargers basically tore down the team and started over, going 1-15 and then 5-11. They most certainly were rebuilding.

Schotty arrived for 2002 and went 8-8, 4-12, and then finally 12-4. Brees was drafted the year prior to Marty taking over, and the HC didn't go for 'his guy' until year 3 (2004).

Brees 'exploding' has nothing to do with the premise that a HC gets 'his guy' most of the time in year 1.

I think it's a great example, but without researching further will admit that it's possibly the exception rather than the rule.

tampabay25690
02-12-2011, 05:15 PM
I have only seen the SEC Championship & BCS Championship.

Since I get to see a ton of SEC games...
I saw all but 2 games that Auburn played.
I seen the guy grow into a pocket passer later this year.
1st few games he was all about running outside the pocket and running first. If you watch him through the year he started staying in the pocket looking for WR'S first.....

The guy dominated not only the best conference in College ball but was unstoppable to be quite honest with you. As most of you know I am a huge Tebow fan. Newton was as good or maybe even more dominant then Tim was his Heisman year. Just put it this way he also has a better arm then Tebow as well.....NO Im not saying CAM will be better but Im saying if you compare the 2 they are pretty similar. I guess thats why Urban Meyer wanted Cam after Tim left Florida.......
If I had the 3rd pick I would definitley consider Cam with that pick. If he could make it through this year with all the drama his father caused then I give the guy a ton of credit...........

tampabay25690
02-12-2011, 05:17 PM

Why not Spiller was drafted last year early and wasn't the starter or will he be this year???
QB's are different anyway. He may show himself enough in camp and start mideseason. I think Chan would use him in different packages if we drafted him....

tampabay25690
02-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Never know.

The BILLS will not have the 1st pick in the draft next year....

Commissioner
02-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I have to disagree with most of this.

Granted, Nix may not have ever had final say in draft choices, but when he got there with Smith and Butler in 2000 the Chargers basically tore down the team and started over, going 1-15 and then 5-11. They most certainly were rebuilding.

Schotty arrived for 2002 and went 8-8, 4-12, and then finally 12-4. Brees was drafted the year prior to Marty taking over, and the HC didn't go for 'his guy' until year 3 (2004).

Brees 'exploding' has nothing to do with the premise that a HC gets 'his guy' most of the time in year 1.

I think it's a great example, but without researching further will admit that it's possibly the exception rather than the rule.
I know what you are saying... but i'm saying most of the time a new GM or HC taking over a crappy franchise identify a QB first and rebuild around him... i think it's the case because HC aren't normally given a very long time to get things turned around.

Payton went to Saints and brought in Brees.
Smith in ATL got Matt Ryan
Dude in Detroit got Stafford
Holmgren got rid of all the QB's in Cleveland and brought in his own bums.
Shanny traded for McNabb in Washington
Rex Ryan traded up in the draft to get Sanchez
etc....

I just think it would be unusual for the Bills to wait until year 3 to do the same thing...

tampabay25690
02-12-2011, 05:27 PM
I know what you are saying... but i'm saying most of the time a new GM or HC taking over a crappy franchise identify a QB first and rebuild around him... i thin it's the case because HC aren't normally given a very long time to get things turned around.

Payton went to Saints and brought in Brees.
Smith in ATL got Matt Ryan
Dude in Detroit got Stafford
Holmgren got rid of all the QB's in Cleveland and brought in his own bums.
Shanny traded for McNabb in Washington
Rex Ryan traded up in the draft to get Sanchez
etc....

I just think it would be unusual for the Bills to wait until year 3 to do the same thing...

I agree.
I know you want gabbert but agreed with what you are saying...

Mr. Miyagi
02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/02/11/carucci-qb-on-bills-radar/

“Not so sure that the Bills are thinking their QB position is settled (http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1391). From everything I hear, GM Buddy Nix likes Cam Newton a great deal, and the Bills might very well be inclined to take him in the No. 3 slot"

Ralphie will be getting a box of crap from me if this works out that way.

In fact, so will Buddy.

tampabay25690
02-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Ralphie will be getting a box of crap from me if this works out that way.

In fact, so will Buddy.

OK

X-Era
02-12-2011, 07:41 PM
OKBTW, I'm only talking so much Cam talk because he's controversial, not because I don't think Gabbert isn't every bit the part... or a few others at other positions.

tampabay25690
02-12-2011, 08:37 PM
BTW, I'm only talking so much Cam talk because he's controversial, not because I don't think Gabbert isn't every bit the part... or a few others at other positions.

Hey there is about 5 guys I want at #3.............

jamze132
02-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Why not Spiller was drafted last year early and wasn't the starter or will he be this year???
QB's are different anyway. He may show himself enough in camp and start mideseason. I think Chan would use him in different packages if we drafted him....
Don't forget that the team had to showcase Lynch so they could trade him.