View Full Version : Top 5 Wish List at #3

YardRat
02-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Nick Fairley
Marcel Dareus
Patrick Peterson
Von Miller
AJ Green

Both Fairley and Dareus will immediately upgrade the d-line, and can play either a 34 or 43. One of these guys dropping to us would be ideal. I left Bowers off because he appears to be a 43 DE only.

Peterson would immediately upgrade the secondary (which is sorely needed), and Miller looks like he might have Biscuit-type impact written all over him.

Green would be my least favorite of the five, but he's the most pro-ready WR in the draft and if we go offense I'd rather go this direction than a QB. Wouldn't have as immediate of an impact as the defensive players, and might take a season to break into the starting line-up, but he's a much lower risk than Newton or Gabbert.

DraftBoy
02-13-2011, 10:48 AM
My 5:
1. Marcel Dareus-DE/DT
Dareus is a younger player being only 21, however he is the BEST fit for our defense. We know we are staying in a 3-4 base where Dareus already has experience and has shown to be a dominant player both at the POA and rushing the passer (see v. Auburn). He also has experience playing in the 4-3 since Bama like us runs a 3-4 hybrid that plays some 4 man fronts as well. He isn't the penetrator that Fairley is but he is far from poor at it. Dareus's biggest question mark is his conditioning level, he was out for extended period for Bama and I think with some NFL level conditioning he'll be fine. Never had any major weight issues though.

2. CB Patrick Peterson
Ive gone over why I think Peterson is a good pick countless times on this board so I wont bore everyone by regurgitating those thoughts. Suffice it to say we take Peterson he instantly becomes our best defensive player (if not best player) on the team.

3. WR AJ Green
Evans is a #2 WR who we force to play #1, he is losing his deep threat ability and isn't as dangerous over the middle as we need. Johnson showed flashes last season and I believe he can develop into Evans eventual replacement but we still lack a true playmaking threat on the outside. Green has the size/speed combo we lack. He works the deep, and intermediate zones effectively and is a great kid attitude wise. Is extremely smooth in and out of his breaks and runs like a gazelle. Would like to see him get more aggressive at times getting off the press but that's a tech thing as well.

4. DE Da'Quan Bowers
A late bloomer who took time to adjust his game to a new level but when it finally clicked...wow. Was nearly unblockable this year coming off the edge and has a full set of pass rush moves to the inside and outside. Uses his hands well to control the blocker but is not consistent with it. Does a good job of disengaging but lacks the strength to consistently hold the POA. Could be a technique issue but has never been consistent at it. Has ideal athleticism and speed to get outside or drop into coverage in a zone blitz scheme should we choose to do that. One year wonder questions exist but sometimes kids just take this long to develop. Keep in mind he's only three years removed from HS.

5. DE/OLB Aldon Smith
This may surprise some people and yes Smith has a injury concern that needs be reviewed. But he is an explosive athlete off the ball, can play 3-4 OLB on the rush and then drop down to DE in either the 3-4 or 4-3, so his versatility is very good. He's raw, he's going to need time to develop, but his upside is undeniable. Needs technique work with his hands and has to learn how to use his long arms to engage and direct blockers. Also needs some hand fighting work on disengaging but the tools are all there for him.

Nighthawk
02-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Peterson is far from being the player that some on this board believe...

DraftBoy
02-13-2011, 11:13 AM

So are many of the players on this team, what's your point?

better days
02-13-2011, 11:25 AM
So are many of the players on this team, what's your point?

I think his point is the Bills do not need to add another player to that list.

Philagape
02-13-2011, 11:38 AM
My top three right now would be Fairley, Peterson and Bowers, and I'd be OK with Dareus too and even Green.

X-Era
02-13-2011, 11:43 AM
1. Da'Quan Bowers
2. Blaine Gabbert
3. Cam Newton
4. Marcel Dareus
5. AJ Green

Patrick Peterson is absolutely worth the pick and is the best player in this draft IMO. However, I just don't want a CB in the 1st round. I wouldn't be mad at the pick because he's worth it, but I can't put it on my list as a pick I actually want.

My rankings of the QB's assume both come out of the process with improved status which I think will happen. If teams feel Newton's character is a significant concern, he will move off my list.

mrbojanglezs
02-13-2011, 11:49 AM
guys you don't need a top 5 list because only 2 people are picking in front of you, lmfao

Don't Panic
02-13-2011, 12:43 PM
guys you don't need a top 5 list because only 2 people are picking in front of you, lmfao

In that line of thinking, I go with Bowers, Dareus and Fairley in that order. I'd love to have a luxury of going after a guy like Green, but this front seven just needs too much work. If we are able to get two true quality guys in FA, then the list could change. But as things stand right now, that's my list.

Raptor
02-13-2011, 01:27 PM
1.Bowers
2.Dareus
3.Miller
4.Peterson
5.Green

YardRat
02-13-2011, 01:37 PM

Our top 3 won't necessarily be the Bills top three, and I went with five for some leeway. I'm sure we all have guys outside of our top three that we could live with if the Bills went in that direction.

tomz
02-13-2011, 01:41 PM
[quote=DraftBoy]My 5:

4. DE Da'Quan Bowers
A late bloomer who took time to adjust his game to a new level but when it finally clicked...wow. Was nearly unblockable this year coming off the edge and has a full set of pass rush moves to the inside and outside. Uses his hands well to control the blocker but is not consistent with it. Does a good job of disengaging but lacks the strength to consistently hold the POA. Could be a technique issue but has never been consistent at it. Has ideal athleticism and speed to get outside or drop into coverage in a zone blitz scheme should we choose to do that. One year wonder questions exist but sometimes kids just take this long to develop. Keep in mind he's only three years removed from HS.

To me, the bolded part says it all. He also has the size to play both 3-4 and 4-3 and I've read that he is decent against the run as well. Clearly elite pass rusher but the key aspect is that he his not merely a speed rusher.

DraftBoy
02-13-2011, 01:46 PM
[quote=DraftBoy]My 5:

4. DE Da'Quan Bowers

To me, the bolded part says it all. He also has the size to play both 3-4 and 4-3 and I've read that he is decent against the run as well. Clearly elite pass rusher but the key aspect is that he his not merely a speed rusher.

He's good at part of run defense, and is very good in pursuit when he wants to. However he can be run at because he doesnt hold up at the POA well. His penetration ability is great for a 4-3 set, but in our 3-4 I have questions about his ability to control his gaps and keep the OLB and ILB clean like he will be asked to do here.

cgbm
02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
1 - Cam Newton, Blane Gabbert
2 - Bowers
3 - Peterson
4 - Miller

baalworship
02-13-2011, 02:29 PM
1.Cam Newton-This guy is an absolute beast and I think Gailey would be the perfect coach to utilize his talent.

2.Nick Fairley-Love the mean streak. This guy would make others teams need to account for him every play.

3.Marcel Dareus-Great fit as a 3-4 DE. Big and athletic.

4.Robert Quinn-Surprised not more people talking about him. Give me a 270 lb guy with his athleticism to play 3-4 OLB over 230lb Von Miller any day.

5.Cameron Jordon-Another great fit at 3-4 DE. Dominated at Senior Bowl.

cookie G
02-13-2011, 02:29 PM
1. Bowers
2. Dareus
3 Bowers
4. Dareus
5. Newton (that's a real wild card pick reserved for gamblers).

*I just have a bad feeling about Fairley's bust factor. Probably because he hangs with Jamarcus Russell

baalworship
02-13-2011, 02:33 PM
1. Bowers
2. Dareus
3 Bowers
4. Dareus
5. Newton (that's a real wild card pick reserved for gamblers).

*I just have a bad feeling about Fairley's bust factor. Probably because he hangs with Jamarcus Russell

That's why I want Newton. This is a small market teams that needs to swing for the fence now and then.

cookie G
02-13-2011, 02:48 PM
That's why I want Newton. This is a small market teams that needs to swing for the fence now and then.

I just don't know with him...really. Personally, I think he hits more passes on target than people like to give him credit. I've seen him throw quite a bit into close coverage, and whether the pass is caught or not, the ball was where it is supposed to be.

What I don't see is him hitting people on breaks, that comes from a number of factors, including ability to read quickly.

But as for swinging for the fences, I don't know, we seem to have done that quite a bit.

We swung for the fences with Spiller;
We swung for the fences with Losman;
We swung for the fences with McGahee

In a way, we swung for the fences with McKelvin. We had a decent pair of CB's, but HAD to have the "lockdown" one.

In a way, we swung for the fences with Maybin too. We obviously needed a pass rusher, but we took the one with deficiencies because of his storied first step. To me, they WERE swinging for the fences with him. Depends on how you look at it, though.

Personally, I think its time to invoke George Young's Planet Theory.

There are only so many big men WITH ATHLETICISM on the planet. When one comes along, you better give him serious consideration.

tampabay25690
02-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Alot on the board have never seen Peterson play either.....It means nothing...
Everyone thinks that a DL guy automatically makes the team better....maybe/maybe not....But Peterson is a top talent in this draft....
Ask the NY Jets how it is without Revis on the field.,.....

YardRat
02-13-2011, 03:16 PM
I considered Quinn...he's the real wild card, and it will be interesting to see how the year off affects him.

elltrain22
02-13-2011, 06:24 PM
1. Nick Fairley- straight up beast, but this is probably wishful thinking b/c he'll be long gone.
2. DeQuan Bowers- freakish athlete, and will be a great pass rusher for a long time.
3. Cam Newton- I don't care what anyone says, this kid is gonna be a good qb in the NFL.
4. Marcel Dareus- ready to play right now
5. AJ Green- we need defense, but this kid is such as good prospect, I could learn to get over it very quickly

134. Patrick Peterson- the kid is very good I know, but if we draft a cb at #3, I'm gonna be very, very pissed off.

Nighthawk
02-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Alot on the board have never seen Peterson play either.....It means nothing...
Everyone thinks that a DL guy automatically makes the team better....maybe/maybe not....But Peterson is a top talent in this draft....
Ask the NY Jets how it is without Revis on the field.,.....

The Jets are better because of the scheme and Rex, not Revis. Don't get me wrong, he is an extremely good CB, but that scheme works just fine without a player of his type. Peterson's greatest gift that is constantly talked about is his return ability...really? Do we really need to draft another top returner? I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but he is far from great...I've seen him play many times...he had some good games and some horrible games. I'm just not as sold on him as everybody else.

Ed
02-14-2011, 12:06 AM
1. Cam Newton. I'm buying the hype! I definitely have my doubts, but he's the most exciting player in the draft. And I'm a big fan of Fitz too.

2. Patrick Peterson. Could easily be the best player in the draft and to me is the closest thing to a can't miss prospect.

3. Marcel Dareus. Best D-lineman in the draft and a good fit for our D.

4. Trade down. I would love and extra pick or two in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

5. Toss up between Bowers and AJ Green.

The Jokeman
02-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I considered Quinn...he's the real wild card, and it will be interesting to see how the year off affects him.
He is a wild card and why he'll probably fall to the middle/late part of Round 1 and why a team like the Patriots or Ravens will be able to nab him and be applauded as geniuses when are able to get him where the Bills end up passing on him because they can't afford to gamble at pick #3 on him.

alohabillsfan
02-15-2011, 05:25 AM
1) Fairley
2) Bowers
3) Dareus
4) A. Smith
5) Quinn

Night Train
02-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Dareus
Fairley
Bowers
Quinn
Miller

Pinkerton Security
02-15-2011, 06:42 AM

and you know this how exactly?

k-oneputt
02-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Dareus
Bowers
Fairley
Quinn

trapezeus
02-15-2011, 08:23 AM
1. not a bust
2. not a bust
3. not a bust
4. not a bust
5. bust.

Guess which one we're taking.

Dr. Lecter
02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
The Jets are better because of the scheme and Rex, not Revis. Don't get me wrong, he is an extremely good CB, but that scheme works just fine without a player of his type. Peterson's greatest gift that is constantly talked about is his return ability...really? Do we really need to draft another top returner? I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but he is far from great...I've seen him play many times...he had some good games and some horrible games. I'm just not as sold on him as everybody else.
The Jets are better because of the scheme, but they can run the scheme because of Revis. Without him, they could not go balls out after the QB.

(Note: I am not advocating Peterson as my top choice.)

NorthCarBills
02-15-2011, 09:34 AM
This draft class truly has me baffled in terms of balancing our many needs with those considered top 5. But here goes.

Fairley
Von Miller
Dareus
Newton or Gabbert
Bowers

Bill Cody
02-15-2011, 12:38 PM
1. not a bust
2. not a bust
3. not a bust
4. not a bust
5. bust.

Guess which one we're taking.

#3?

better days
02-15-2011, 02:25 PM
#3?

#3 is a posibility, but if #1 is still on the board, the Bills will take him.

Bill Cody
02-15-2011, 04:17 PM
#3 is a posibility, but if #1 is still on the board, the Bills will take him.

May be but I wouldn't. If we're going DT I'd go with Dareus. Nick Fairley is a beast but he's a dirty player. I just hate guys that play that way. There's a difference between a Logan Mankins scrappy and hard nosed and guys hitting after the whistle all day. Nick Fairley is a punk *****.

better days
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
May be but I wouldn't. If we're going DT I'd go with Dareus. Nick Fairley is a beast but he's a dirty player. I just hate guys that play that way. There's a difference between a Logan Mankins scrappy and hard nosed and guys hitting after the whistle all day. Nick Fairley is a punk *****.

I was just kidding, #1 Not a bust. That is what I meant not any player in particular.