ParanoidAndroid
02-13-2011, 12:04 PM
http://www.hollywoodburgerbistro.com/

Jim Kelly Burger
Buffalo sauce & bacon topped with your choice of ranch or blue cheese - $11

*should'a put this in the twilight zone...sorry.*

Luisito23
02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
I love Jimbo, but I would never pay that much for a burger.

ParanoidAndroid
02-13-2011, 03:37 PM
I know.... $11 is steep. People pay it, though.

OpIv37
02-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Damn Southerners.

Someone needs to tell everyone south of the Mason-Dixon line that no one in Buffalo or WNY puts ranch dressing on anything with Buffalo wing sauce.

TEtoLeeTD
02-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Damn Southerners.

Someone needs to tell everyone south of the Mason-Dixon line that no one in Buffalo or WNY puts ranch dressing on anything with Buffalo wing sauce.

well u can put blue cheese on it. ranch is just an option for ppl who dont like blue cheese. lets not go overboard here :refuse:

OpIv37
02-13-2011, 03:52 PM
well u can put blue cheese on it. ranch is just an option for ppl who dont like blue cheese. lets not go overboard here :refuse:
I live in Northern VA and I have a good friend who lives in Baltimore so I am there frequently, and I'm sick of places offering Ranch with wings.

The only acceptable things to put on wings or anything flavored with wing sauce are bleu cheese and nothing. ranch is not an option.

Mad Max
02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Damn Southerners.

No ranch in Buffalo huh? Interesting. I'm originally from the midwest (IL) where we would get ranch served with wings more often than bleu cheese. I much prefer it actually, I like the way it cuts the heat of the wing sauce. Bleu cheese is too thick for me.

How about celery sticks? Do they get served in WNY?

YardRat
02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Although I agree with you Op, the younger generation doesn't. Ranch is their ketchup, or even more widely used...they put it on EVERYTHING.

SeatownBillsFan21
02-13-2011, 05:15 PM
I live in Northern VA and I have a good friend who lives in Baltimore so I am there frequently, and I'm sick of places offering Ranch with wings.

The only acceptable things to put on wings or anything flavored with wing sauce are bleu cheese and nothing. ranch is not an option.
Lol OP this is too funny I feel your pain try living in Seattle where they don't even serve blue cheese it's terrible wings and ranch not a good mix

ParanoidAndroid
02-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Reasonable.... but you really need to get a new username...

EricStratton
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
$11 is one of the cheapest burgers on the menu

DraftBoy
02-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Since when is $11 steep for a specialty burger?

TrEd FTW
02-13-2011, 06:07 PM
"I grow weary of your sexually suggestive dances. Bring me the ranch dressing hose."-Homer Simpson

THRILLHO
02-13-2011, 06:32 PM

I just moved to SC and have noticed the same thing. It annoys me also.

ParanoidAndroid
02-13-2011, 06:33 PM

For what's on it.... that's steep... Now if it had bleu cheese crumble, shaved celery, bleu cheese dressing on the side... $11 would be decent. A little more effort.....

OpIv37
02-13-2011, 07:30 PM
No ranch in Buffalo huh? Interesting. I'm originally from the midwest (IL) where we would get ranch served with wings more often than bleu cheese. I much prefer it actually, I like the way it cuts the heat of the wing sauce. Bleu cheese is too thick for me.

Yes, in WNY they do serve celery sticks with wings. To be honest, I don't like the Bleu Cheese either, so I just eat the wings without it.

As far as the ranch goes, everyone has different tastes, but ranch isn't authentic.

I eat chicken Philly's sometimes, but when I eat them, I know I'm not getting a real South Philly cheese steak.

Beebe's Kid
02-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Yes, in WNY they do serve celery sticks with wings. To be honest, I don't like the Bleu Cheese either, so I just eat the wings without it.

As far as the ranch goes, everyone has different tastes, but ranch isn't authentic.

I eat chicken Philly's sometimes, but when I eat them, I know I'm not getting a real South Philly cheese steak.

Poser.

Ranch is awesome. I could eat it with everything. I do not, however, eat it with my wings. Bleu Cheese is a ****ing atrocity, and I just threw up in my mouth thinking about it.

$11 for a McAnything is expensive, but for a specialty burger, as DB pointed out, is about par for the course. It goes best with the $5 shake.

YardRat
02-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Wings without bleu cheese and celery is just bar-b-q for midgets.

Billz_fan
02-13-2011, 09:15 PM
I to am against the ranch dressing and buffalo sauce of any kind. It should be a law. I can't stand it with wings. Im a loyal bleu cheese man. I spent 10 years in FL and the ranch thing is huge there also. I would not even discuss it with them after awhile. Not worth the time. I just told them they had no idea what they were doing and no idea how wings were born or the history involved.

B-DON
02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Lol at all the old folks telling people how they should eat their wings. Who cares if they like ranch or bleu cheese.

better days
02-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Poser.

Ranch is awesome. I could eat it with everything. I do not, however, eat it with my wings. Bleu Cheese is a ****ing atrocity, and I just threw up in my mouth thinking about it.

$11 for a McAnything is expensive, but for a specialty burger, as DB pointed out, is about par for the course. It goes best with the $5 shake.

Come on Beebe, everyone knows a great burger goes best with an ice cold beer as do wings.

better days
02-13-2011, 10:09 PM

Yeah down here in Fla ranch is also offered & many people choose it. Many people down here are also Fins fans, so that explains a lot.

OpIv37
02-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Yeah down here in Fla ranch is also offered & many people choose it. Many people down here are also Fins fans, so that explains a lot.

let's put it this way: I wouldn't order a Cubano sandwich then smother it with ketchup.

TEtoLeeTD
02-14-2011, 07:43 AM

i like both ranch and blue cheese. i agree that blue cheese is what should be served with wings but i have tried it with ranch when i was out of blue cheese and its pretty good too.

it just comes down to preference and u shouldnt claim that someone is not a true consumer of buffalo wings because they like ranch.

now im hungry :drool2:

better days
02-14-2011, 08:30 AM
i like both ranch and blue cheese. i agree that blue cheese is what should be served with wings but i have tried it with ranch when i was out of blue cheese and its pretty good too.

it just comes down to preference and u shouldnt claim that someone is not a true consumer of buffalo wings because they like ranch.

now im hungry :drool2:

OpIv said that resturants should not offer ranch with Buffalo wings. He is right about that because if a resturant wants to call its wings Buffalo wings (even though most offer POOR imitations) they should at least get the condiments right. He said nothing about the consumers of said imitation wings.

trapezeus
02-14-2011, 09:13 AM
i'm pro blue cheese.

Although this is a lesser offense in the world of other places screwing up wings. I hate the breaded chicken wing that is labeled a buffalo wing. whenever, i get wings (which is rarely) outside of buffalo, i'll ask, "are your buffalo wings breaded?" "Yes, they are great, we've made our own sauce!"

Then i get up and pants the waiter and hold butter knife to their throat and say in my christian bale/batman voice, "then let me tell you what you don't have. You don't have Buffalo wings at all my friend." then i flee into the night.

and scene.

TEtoLeeTD
02-14-2011, 09:14 AM
OpIv said that resturants should not offer ranch with Buffalo wings. He is right about that because if a resturant wants to call its wings Buffalo wings (even though most offer POOR imitations) they should at least get the condiments right. He said nothing about the consumers of said imitation wings.

he says "damn southerners". that could refer to the restraunts or the ppl consuming the wings.

and to be honest with u, if i wanted mustard as a condiment for my wings the restraunt should give me mustard. i am the consumer. i am the one giving the company money. give me what i want.

thats the point.

SabreEleven
02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
It's Jim Kelly's birthday, BTW

better days
02-14-2011, 09:33 AM
he says "damn southerners". that could refer to the restraunts or the ppl consuming the wings.

and to be honest with u, if i wanted mustard as a condiment for my wings the restraunt should give me mustard. i am the consumer. i am the one giving the company money. give me what i want.

thats the point.

Well if you are the person providing the ranch dressing that would make you the restauranteur, not the consumer.

If a resturant does not serve wings in the true Buffalo style they should not call them Buffalo wings.

OpIv37
02-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Well if you are the person providing the ranch dressing that would make you the restauranteur, not the consumer.

If a resturant does not serve wings in the true Buffalo style they should not call them Buffalo wings.
My point exactly. You want to serve breaded wings? You want to serve wings with ranch? Your consumers want to eat those things? Fine. It's a free country- eat what you want.

Just don't call them Buffalo wings because I guarantee you no one in Buffalo or anywhere in WNY eats them like that, with the possible exception of ignorant tourists at chain restaurants.

TEtoLeeTD
02-14-2011, 10:08 AM

buffalo wings just refers to buffalo sauce. has nothing to with blue cheese or ranch or any kind of dressing that goes with it.

and thats exactly my point. I am the consumer. if I want ranch or even ketchup on my wings, u better give it to me. i am paying for u to give me what i want. thats how it works.

Luisito23
02-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Only special thing about that burger is the price...Go to Burger King and get 11 buck doubles and eat good for a week!

better days
02-14-2011, 11:54 AM
buffalo wings just refers to buffalo sauce. has nothing to with blue cheese or ranch or any kind of dressing that goes with it.

and thats exactly my point. I am the consumer. if I want ranch or even ketchup on my wings, u better give it to me. i am paying for u to give me what i want. thats how it works.

Well I guess it is a matter of opinion. In my opinion the blue cheese sauce is every bit as important as the sauce on the wing. To serve wings without blue cheese, they should not be called Buffalo wings.

I think resturants started offering ranch instead of Blue Cheese because it is much cheaper, much like ketchup is much cheaper than Franks hot sauce. They are able to get away with that down South because most people down here do not have a clue what REAL Buffalo wings are.

If you want to ask for ketchup or ranch dressing, the resturant should provide it to you but it should not be offered. Buffalo wings are served with blue cheese.

If a resturant wants to serve wings with ketchup & ranch dressing fine, just don't call them Buffalo Wings because they are not.

better days
02-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Only special thing about that burger is the price...Go to Burger King and get 11 buck doubles and eat good for a week!

Down here in Fla, we are lucky enough to have Checkers. A drive thru resturant with no inside seating. Much better than McDonalds, Burger King & Wendys & cheaper to boot. They even have cheap wings that are better than those served in many resturants down here.

Beebe's Kid
02-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Only special thing about that burger is the price...Go to Burger King and get 11 buck doubles and eat good for a week!Eat, maybe, but eat good? Not so much.

Breaded wings are for Dolphins fans.

TEtoLeeTD
02-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Well I guess it is a matter of opinion. In my opinion the blue cheese sauce is every bit as important as the sauce on the wing. To serve wings without blue cheese, they should not be called Buffalo wings.

I think resturants started offering ranch instead of Blue Cheese because it is much cheaper, much like ketchup is much cheaper than Franks hot sauce. They are able to get away with that down South because most people down here do not have a clue what REAL Buffalo wings are.

If you want to ask for ketchup or ranch dressing, the resturant should provide it to you but it should not be offered. Buffalo wings are served with blue cheese.

If a resturant wants to serve wings with ketchup & ranch dressing fine, just don't call them Buffalo Wings because they are not.

IMO u guys are taking the term "buffalo wings" to the extreme. the term "buffalo wings" does not mean wings that are served exactly to the tee as they are served in buffalo. it just means the wings have buffalo sauce on them. bbq wings are called bbq wings cuz they have bbq sauce. garlic wings have garlic on them. buffalo wings have buffalo sauce. it does not really have anything to do with the actual city of buffalo anymore. its just what the sauce is called.

better days
02-14-2011, 01:23 PM
IMO u guys are taking the term "buffalo wings" to the extreme. the term "buffalo wings" does not mean wings that are served exactly to the tee as they are served in buffalo. it just means the wings have buffalo sauce on them. bbq wings are called bbq wings cuz they have bbq sauce. garlic wings have garlic on them. buffalo wings have buffalo sauce. it does not really have anything to do with the actual city of buffalo anymore. its just what the sauce is called.

That is your interpretation. I said it was a matter of opinion. In my opinion if wings are to be called Buffalo wings, they should be as close to the real thing as possible, including celery & blue cheese on the side.

Otherwise they can call them wings with hot sauce, but they should not be called Buffalo wings because they are not. For that matter many restaurants down here do not use Franks hotsauce either, but a cheap imitation such as Crystal hot sauce so they are not using "Buffalo sauce" on them either.

Mad Bomber
02-14-2011, 01:30 PM
That's what the bleu cheese dressing is for.

tat2dmike77
02-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Damn Southerners.

I know i hate that. Would you like ranch with your wings. NO JACKASS I WANT BLEU CHESSE.

And it's not just south of Mason-Dixon line they do that ranch crap everywhere. Well atleast in the states i have been too they do OH, LA, GA, TX, PA (pitt but they suck anyway)

TEtoLeeTD
02-14-2011, 06:48 PM
That is your interpretation. I said it was a matter of opinion. In my opinion if wings are to be called Buffalo wings, they should be as close to the real thing as possible, including celery & blue cheese on the side.

Otherwise they can call them wings with hot sauce, but they should not be called Buffalo wings because they are not. For that matter many restaurants down here do not use Franks hotsauce either, but a cheap imitation such as Crystal hot sauce so they are not using "Buffalo sauce" on them either.

ur getting home town pride confused with reality. hot sauce/butter= buffalo sauce. doesnt matter if its franks or not.

its not called "wings with hot sauce" just because its not franks. its still buffalo sauce.

better days
02-14-2011, 07:05 PM
ur getting home town pride confused with reality. hot sauce/butter= buffalo sauce. doesnt matter if its franks or not.

its not called "wings with hot sauce" just because its not franks. its still buffalo sauce.

You are obviously not from Buffalo. There is a HUGE difference between the flavor of Franks & the cheap imitations. That is reality. If I could not taste the difference I would not care what hot sauce was used because how would I know they were not using Franks?

The reality is I can taste the difference & it is a big difference.

Any sauce made without Franks hot sauce is not real Buffalo wing sauce that is reality.

There are some restaurants that try to pawn off Sirloin & Shrimp as Surf & Turf. In reality Surf & Turf is a Filet & Lobster tail. When I order Surf & Turf, I expect a nice tender Filet & a delicious Lobster tail. DO NOT try to sell me a tough Sirloin & rubbery Shrimp as Surf & Turf & Do not try to tell me crap made with inferior products including cheap ranch dressing are Buffalo Wings.

The Jokeman
02-14-2011, 07:08 PM
You are obviously not from Buffalo. There is a HUGE difference between the flavor of Franks & the cheap imitations. That is reality. If I could not taste the difference I would not care what hot sauce was used because how would I know they were not using Franks?

Any sauce made without Franks hot sauce is not real Buffalo wing sauce that is reality.

There are some restaurants that try to pawn off Sirloin & Shrimp as Surf & Turf. In reality Surf & Turf is a Filet & Lobster tail. DO NOT try to sell me that Sirloin & Shrimp is Surf & Turf & Do not try to tell me crap made with inferior products including cheap ranch dressing is Buffalo Wings.
So are you saying that the Jim Kelly sandwich should be made from bologna instead? :funny:

better days
02-14-2011, 07:16 PM
So are you saying that the Jim Kelly sandwich should be made from bologna instead? :funny:

Well, if it were fried bologna with fried onions I could not argue with that.

TEtoLeeTD
02-14-2011, 07:49 PM

There are some restaurants that try to pawn off Sirloin & Shrimp as Surf & Turf. In reality Surf & Turf is a Filet & Lobster tail. When I order Surf & Turf, I expect a nice tender Filet & a delicious Lobster tail. DO NOT try to sell me a tough Sirloin & rubbery Shrimp as Surf & Turf & Do not try to tell me crap made with inferior products including cheap ranch dressing are Buffalo Wings.

im from syracuse with family that lives in buffalo. the point im trying to make is NOT that anything rivals the taste of the original buffalo wings. the point is that buffalo sauce is just hot sauce/butter and a few other ingrediants.

its not limited to just franks hot sauce and doesnt have to only come with blue cheese. thats just homers being homers. ur from buffalo and u want to keep ur cities most popular food as ur own so u say it cant be called a buffalo wing if its not made with franks or isnt served with blue cheese. and thats just not true.

better days
02-14-2011, 08:01 PM
im from syracuse with family that lives in buffalo. the point im trying to make is NOT that anything rivals the taste of the original buffalo wings. the point is that buffalo sauce is just hot sauce/butter and a few other ingrediants.

its not limited to just franks hot sauce and doesnt have to only come with blue cheese. thats just homers being homers. ur from buffalo and u want to keep ur cities most popular food as ur own so u say it cant be called a buffalo wing if its not made with franks or isnt served with blue cheese. and thats just not true.

Why is that not true? As I said, you can call Sirloin & Shrimp Surf & Turf & some restaurants do but that does not make it right. Surf & Turf is a Filet & Lobster tail. That is what Surf & Turf has been known to be for many years NOT Sirloin & Shrimp.

You may as well be in Fla, the Wings in Syracuse are just as CRAPPY as the wings down here. As I said many people down here do not have a clue what real Buffalo wings are & you don't appear to either.

You should visit your family in Buffalo & taste the real thing for yourself. You will find you have been eating the wing equivalent of Sirloin & Shrimp & thinking that was Surf & Turf because you never had the real thing Filet & Lobster.

Beebe's Kid
02-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Finally a "Franchise Burger!!!!"

better days
02-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Finally a "Franchise Burger!!!!"

It does sound tasty. I would pay $11 for one if served by a hot waitress.

TEtoLeeTD
02-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Why is that not true? As I said, you can call Sirloin & Shrimp Surf & Turf & some restaurants do but that does not make it right. Surf & Turf is a Filet & Lobster tail. That is what Surf & Turf has been known to be for many years NOT Sirloin & Shrimp.

You may as well be in Fla, the Wings in Syracuse are just as CRAPPY as the wings down here. As I said many people down here do not have a clue what real Buffalo wings are & you don't appear to either.

You should visit your family in Buffalo & taste the real thing for yourself. You will find you have been eating the wing equivalent of Sirloin & Shrimp & thinking that was Surf & Turf because you never had the real thing Filet & Lobster.

ive had wings from buffalo. read the part where i said that im not saying anything can rival the original buffalo wings.

but buffalo wings are still buffalo wings even when not prepared well or just like they are prepared in buffalo. buffalo wings is a blanket statement for chicken wings that have buffalo sauce on them.

better days
02-15-2011, 12:02 AM
ive had wings from buffalo. read the part where i said that im not saying anything can rival the original buffalo wings.

but buffalo wings are still buffalo wings even when not prepared well or just like they are prepared in buffalo. buffalo wings is a blanket statement for chicken wings that have buffalo sauce on them.

Fine you can say that. As I said you can also call Sirloin & Shrimp Surf & Turf. Anyone that has had real Surf & Turf knows the difference & anyone that has had real Buffalo wings knows the difference.

OpIv37
02-15-2011, 07:42 AM

I couldn't disagree more. Buffalo wings not prepared the same way they are in Buffalo are not Buffalo wings- they're some other kind of wings. And they can be quite tasty. I've had some really good BBQ chicken wings, some really good jerk chicken wings, and I've even had decent breaded chicken wings with Buffalo sauce (but you have to eat them right away while they're still crispy). But none of those things are Buffalo wings.

TEtoLeeTD
02-16-2011, 01:12 AM
I couldn't disagree more. Buffalo wings not prepared the same way they are in Buffalo are not Buffalo wings- they're some other kind of wings. And they can be quite tasty. I've had some really good BBQ chicken wings, some really good jerk chicken wings, and I've even had decent breaded chicken wings with Buffalo sauce (but you have to eat them right away while they're still crispy). But none of those things are Buffalo wings.

german franks sold in america are not prepared the same way they are germany so we cant call them german franks.

kentucky fried chicken isnt prepared the original way it is prepared in kentucky so we cant call it kentucky fried chicken.

thats what u guys sound like. ur getting way too technical. buffalo wings are buffalo wings if they are prepared with buffalo sauce and the chicken is cooked the right way. even if it doesnt use franks hot sauce and even if it isnt served with blue cheese and a labbats beer. its still called buffalo wings.

better days
02-16-2011, 02:30 AM
german franks sold in america are not prepared the same way they are germany so we cant call them german franks.

kentucky fried chicken isnt prepared the original way it is prepared in kentucky so we cant call it kentucky fried chicken.

thats what u guys sound like. ur getting way too technical. buffalo wings are buffalo wings if they are prepared with buffalo sauce and the chicken is cooked the right way. even if it doesnt use franks hot sauce and even if it isnt served with blue cheese and a labbats beer. its still called buffalo wings.

How do you know german hotdogs are not prepared in the same way? We can't call it Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore. It is now called KFC NOT Kentucky Fried Chicken. They stopped calling it Kentucky Fried Chicken when they stopped using the Colonels recipe.They no longer use the image of the Col. Sanders either, just a cartoon character which is analogous to what that product has become. They do not purport to use Col Sanders secret recipe any longer either.

It does not matter where something is made, what matters is HOW it is made. Kentuckey Fried Chicken was prepared all over the United States using the same recipe & method Col Sanders developed. As I have said before you can call Sirloin & Shrimp Surf & Turf but we all know Surf & Turf has always been Filet & Lobster.

I think people that love REAL Buffalo wings would be very happy to find them in other parts of the Country. The fact is most resturants outside Buffalo have the same attitude you do & think they can get away with using cheap ingredients because people won't know any better having never had the real thing.

We realize they can call them Buffalo wings but we KNOW they are NOT Buffalo Wings anymore than KFC is Kentucky Fried Chicken or Sirloin & Shrimp is Surf & Turf.

MikeNC
02-16-2011, 06:26 AM

Franks or nothing!!!!! I moved to Charlotte years ago and was using Texas Pete, not the same as Franks....Now that I can get Franks, that's all we use at home...

stuckincincy
02-17-2011, 10:26 AM
*Old Timer Alert*

The best cheeseburgers I've had - or likely to ever have - were at Eddie G's bar on Fillmore close to William St.

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/classictavernstravels.html

(scroll down - it's mentioned at the end. )

I left Bflo in 1978 - not sure when Eddie's shut down.

It was interesting to see a mention of Eddie Syzmanski, also. Eddie "Z" was a friend of mine, and a very kind soul. He owned the Pastime on Grant by Forest; not sure if he was the owner of the cited bar on that site.

There was another Pastime - off of Austin.

For those of you who care for a walk down memory lane, here's some of the older gin joints in N.Bflo/Black Rock/Buff State areas. how many of them are still in business...no idea.:

Jerry's
Voelker's Bowling Alley
Schuper House
Masthead
Gaslight West
M & E
Magic Carpet
Chez Ami
Kelly's
Beef 'n Ale
Whistle Pig
No Name
Golden Pheasant
Royal Pheasant
Wally Bobek's
McVan's
Candlelight
Alley Bar
Tommie's
Chez Ami
Hollywood Huge's
Barlycorn
Nucherino's
Plant 6

So many others - I can picture them, but can't recall the names.

TEtoLeeTD
02-17-2011, 10:42 AM
How do you know german hotdogs are not prepared in the same way? We can't call it Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore. It is now called KFC NOT Kentucky Fried Chicken. They stopped calling it Kentucky Fried Chicken when they stopped using the Colonels recipe.They no longer use the image of the Col. Sanders either, just a cartoon character which is analogous to what that product has become. They do not purport to use Col Sanders secret recipe any longer either.

It does not matter where something is made, what matters is HOW it is made. Kentuckey Fried Chicken was prepared all over the United States using the same recipe & method Col Sanders developed. As I have said before you can call Sirloin & Shrimp Surf & Turf but we all know Surf & Turf has always been Filet & Lobster.

I think people that love REAL Buffalo wings would be very happy to find them in other parts of the Country. The fact is most resturants outside Buffalo have the same attitude you do & think they can get away with using cheap ingredients because people won't know any better having never had the real thing.

We realize they can call them Buffalo wings but we KNOW they are NOT Buffalo Wings anymore than KFC is Kentucky Fried Chicken or Sirloin & Shrimp is Surf & Turf.

i dont have any kind of attitude. i like franks the most out of any hot sauce and i like blue cheese over ranch. the point im trying to make has nothing to do with my personal taste for buffalo wings. i love buffalo wings made the way they were originally made and are supposed to be made.

better days
02-17-2011, 01:38 PM
i dont have any kind of attitude. i like franks the most out of any hot sauce and i like blue cheese over ranch. the point im trying to make has nothing to do with my personal taste for buffalo wings. i love buffalo wings made the way they were originally made and are supposed to be made.

The attitude I am refering to is that you think any crap made with an inferior product can rightfully be called Buffalo wings just because hot sauce & butter are involved.

Well many of the resturants that serve poor imitation Buffalo wings do not even use butter they use margarine along with their Crystal or Texas Pete CHEAP hot sauce. But even if they do use butter, unless Franks is the hot sauce they are not Buffalo Wings. There are many variations of Buffalo Wings even in the Greater WNY area but two ingredients that are constant are Franks Hot sauce & Butter. And they should be served with Blu Cheese dressing, not CHEAP ranch.

better days
02-18-2011, 12:02 AM
*Old Timer Alert*

The best cheeseburgers I've had - or likely to ever have - were at Eddie G's bar on Fillmore close to William St.

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/classictavernstravels.html

(scroll down - it's mentioned at the end. )

I left Bflo in 1978 - not sure when Eddie's shut down.

It was interesting to see a mention of Eddie Syzmanski, also. Eddie "Z" was a friend of mine, and a very kind soul. He owned the Pastime on Grant by Forest; not sure if he was the owner of the cited bar on that site.

There was another Pastime - off of Austin.

For those of you who care for a walk down memory lane, here's some of the older gin joints in N.Bflo/Black Rock/Buff State areas. how many of them are still in business...no idea.:

Jerry's
Voelker's Bowling Alley
Schuper House
Masthead
Gaslight West
M & E
Magic Carpet
Chez Ami
Kelly's
Beef 'n Ale
Whistle Pig
No Name
Golden Pheasant
Royal Pheasant
Wally Bobek's
McVan's
Candlelight
Alley Bar
Tommie's
Chez Ami
Hollywood Huge's
Barlycorn
Nucherino's
Plant 6

So many others - I can picture them, but can't recall the names.

Best Mushroom/Swiss Burger I ever had was at J.P. Bullfeathers on Elmwood. I have travelled the Country & have never had one that comes close.

stuckincincy
02-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Best Mushroom/Swiss Burger I ever had was at J.P. Bullfeathers on Elmwood. I have travelled the Country & have never had one that comes close.

Bullfeathers...another name from the past. I recall hearing somewhere in the past, that Bflo. was high up on the list of bars per capita.

BTW - here's a tip I learned from the Food Channel chef, Bobby Flay:

When making a nice, thick burger, he takes his knuckle and compresses the patty in the middle before cooking - not all the way through, but a decent-sized dent. What it does, is to halt that up-swelling that makes you want to squish it down with a spatula, which drives some juices out.

He was 100% right - works like a charm!

better days
02-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Bullfeathers...another name from the past. I recall hearing somewhere in the past, that Bflo. was high up on the list of bars per capita.

BTW - here's a tip I learned from the Food Channel chef, Bobby Flay:

When making a nice, thick burger, he takes his knuckle and compresses the patty in the middle before cooking - not all the way through, but a decent-sized dent. What it does, is to halt that up-swelling that makes you want to squish it down with a spatula, which drives some juices out.

He was 100% right - works like a charm!

Flay is great. Thanks for the tip, I will do that next time I grill burgers,

BillsPride12
02-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Speaking of that the other day a co-worker of mine said that Oliver Street in North Tonawanda used to be in the guinness book of world records for having the most bars on one street back in what he guessed 1982? That was the first time I had ever heard that before seeing as that was alittle before my drinking days. Does anybody else know about that? Oliver Street is a dump nowadays, I never knew it was once a bustling Pub area.