PDA

View Full Version : Definition of a 'Franchise' Defensive Linemen

X-Era
02-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Whats yours.

I don't have one.

Haloti Ngata has never had more than 4 sacks in a year before this year where he got 5.5. He's also never had more than 50 total tackles. We all know he's great, but how do we define it? Ability to shed block? OK. Ability to consistently collapse the pocket? OK.

Personally, I see a DT/DE as an important component of a quality defense. And yes, I'd like the best one I can get. But that doesn't mean the position is so critical that we have to have a top 10 guy. Especially when it's usually a rotation. Would I take one at 3 if the player was a fit and worth the pick? absolutely. This piece of the defense is the first chance to stop the run which is a very important way to control the game. We stink at stopping the run and we need much better talent along the DL but especially at LB'er.

It's a very important position, maybe the most important position on the defense, but not the most important position on a team... that's the quarterback.

jamze132
02-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Bruce Smith
Dwight Freeney
Julius Peppers
Javon Kearse
Warren Sapp

Just to name a few...

mikemac2001
02-14-2011, 08:23 AM
A guy you have to double every play

Beebe's Kid
02-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Marcus Stroud

Is that how we do it?

Ok, ok, not Marcus Stroud...whoa that's hilarious.

Why does everything have to be "Franchise?" I think that it would fit nicely into the drum beating about the "Franchise QB," which all we can figure out is that he is super awesome, never makes a mistake, and is "not Fitzpatrick."

How about we build a quality franchise? Is that called a "Franchise Franchise?"

Our goal will be able to stop the other team and force turnovers on defense, and score points on offense, which we'll do by running and passing, which will make the opposing defense wonder which one is coming.

ddaryl
02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
This is a tough one.

One type of DL eats up space, anther type of DL relies on pure speed and ability.

Some are just let loose, others are needed to plug gaps.

Both compliment each other.

EricStratton
02-14-2011, 02:16 PM
It the other team's OC have to plan around your guy he's more then your average player.

That's pretty much my definition for any defensive player.

mikemac2001
02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
It the other team's OC have to plan around your guy he's more then your average player.

That's pretty much my definition for any defensive player.

That's kinda how I felt if they double the guy and have to worry about him all game he will get his pressures run stops bc he is elite to ask for doubles all game.

Stats arnt the key it's how he effects teams

Leaving a te g or rb in to help creates one less Blocker or receiver which then creates more gaps In oline or more defenders in coverage

I sure miss Bruce playing tho

YardRat
02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't think anybody has labeled a defensive lineman as 'franchise'. I wouldn't, although jamze has thrown out some examples of some guys who could be considered.

X-Era
02-14-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't think anybody has labeled a defensive lineman as 'franchise'. I wouldn't, although jamze has thrown out some examples of some guys who could be considered.Outside of Kearse, that list is HOF'ers

The Jokeman
02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Outside of Kearse, that list is HOF'ers
Freeney might be debatable. Sapp is most definitely a HOFer and if Peppers puts up 9.0 or so sacks over the next three or four years will warrant some serious consideration.

EDIT: removing the BS flag.

Don't Panic
02-14-2011, 07:30 PM
A guy you have to double every play

Works for me! Even as a pass rusher, teams leave in a blocking back just to neutralize the guy. That's a franchise DL. You have that, you're playing 11 vs. 10 on most plays.

X-Era
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
:bs: Freeney might be debatable but Sapp is most definitely a HOFer and if Peppers puts up 9.0 or so sacks over the next three or four years will warrant some serious consideration.Ok, I agreed with you... please re-read.

The Jokeman
02-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Ok, I agreed with you... please re-read.
Yes, you did. My bad.

ServoBillieves
02-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Their names were Warren Sapp and Bruce Smith.

Night Train
02-15-2011, 05:54 AM
David Deacon Jones, Mean Joe Green, Alan Page, Reggie White, Bruce Smith..Suh is probably the best modern day example. Dominant and makes everyone around him better.

X-Era
02-15-2011, 06:04 AM
David Deacon Jones, Mean Joe Green, Alan Page, Reggie White, Bruce Smith..Suh is probably the best modern day example. Dominant and makes everyone around him better.

Not too bad a definition for a franchise QB. And why could that statement not be applied to a LB?

Night Train
02-15-2011, 06:11 AM
Not too bad a definition for a franchise QB.

Too bad Luck stayed in school.

Telling Me Gabbert or Newton has the look means you believe in chasing rainbows while riding a unicorn.

X-Era
02-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Too bad Luck stayed in school.

Telling Me Gabbert or Newton has the look means you believe in chasing rainbows while riding a unicorn.Neither is as sure fire as Luck. But both are 1st round prospects and could easily be worth the pick when all is said and done. As has been said, you don;t necessarily have to have the top pick to get a guy who can take you to the playoffs or even the SB. Roeth, Ryan, Sanchez, Rivers, Flacco, Rodgers to name a few. None of them were ranked up there with Luck coming out of school.

dannyek71
02-15-2011, 08:12 AM
John McCargo

bflojohn
02-17-2011, 12:54 PM
In Bills history I'd say Bruce is obviously at the top of that list, however, others have made a mark! How about Fred Smerlas, Tom Sestak, and Ron McDole. To a lesser extent Ben Williams, Phil Hanson, and Ted Washington. Hopefully Da'Quan Bowers or Marcell Darius or Nick Fairley, any takers??

NOT THE DUDE...
02-18-2011, 01:32 AM
a dominant pass rusher, ala bruce smith, ndamukong suh...

Johnny Bugmenot
02-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Someone who can make a significant number of plays and be a disruptive force in the opponent's passing game without jeopardizing the run defense (the last of which disqualifies Schobel).